Hello Guest

Author Topic: RPar's house projects (pic heavy)  (Read 6776 times)

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
RPar's house projects (pic heavy)
« on: October 05, 2015, 02:37:27 PM »
Thought I'd start a thread to document some of the various projects I've done over the last six years.

Old house: 2009-2014
1) Garage - 26' deep x 22' wide x 10' ceiling w/ attic storage Fully insulated and drywalled. Was perfect because the CCLB DMAX would actually fit with a little room to spare.
2) rebuilt the deck
3) front landscaping and irrigation
4) sewer line replacement
5) shed under deck (make most of the unused space)
6) backyard landscaping
7) kitchen wall insulation (or lack there of) and subsequent accident...
8) laminate flooring

Current house: 2014-current
1) family room built-ins
2) shed
3) kitchen table (in planning phase)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 06:09:28 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: RPar's house projects (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 02:54:28 PM »
The site:

Digging out for the footings. I did a full footing rather than slab on grade. It just seemed like a better way to do it, even if it did cost more.

Supplies... trailer has 4x8 sheets of OSB in it. Had to do some creating maneuvering...

And here is how you unload OSB... I put some forethought into it. Since the axle was situated dead-center, I knew I'd be able to lift the tongue easily, so when I picked up the sheets, I first put down some wooden dowels as rollers so the pile would slide right out.

http://vid264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/rpar42/House%20Projects/Tacoma/Garage/MOV05943.mp4
http://vid264.photobucket.com/albums/ii196/rpar42/House%20Projects/Tacoma/Garage/MOV05944.mp4

Prepping for forms.

1.5" Electrical conduit. 100amp service to garage.

2" drain line for sink. 3-4' down to the sewer line, that was fun. Look at all that rock. ROCK EVERYWHERE in this yard.

Forms up. Luckily my uncle has a buddy that stores forms out at his farm, so I was able to borrow those. 2'x8', perfect height for what I needed. Only needed to buy one sheet of 1-1/8" to cut down to size to make some custom panels.

Plenty of conduit sleeves:
1-1/2" Main power
3/4" line back to house for a three-way switch if I ever elected to do it (never did).
3/4" for power to yard/patio
two 3/4" for irrigation wire (two separate directions)
1" for low-voltage to house. CATV and Cat5e.

1" conduit sleeve for PEX line for sink and the sink drain with clean-out on outside.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:49:18 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »
Pour day! Uncles came up from Portland to help.

Dad showed up (in black jacket) mid way through.

Max, the site superintendent.

East wall w/ electrical

Stripping the forms.

South wall

North wall. Had a little bit of an issue with the form not being straight or having enough support. A little crooked.

Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 03:07:51 PM »
Borrowed a co-worker's tractor to excavate the pad and back-fill around the perimeter.  No in-progress pics, but did have the wife snap a few of me loading it back onto the uhaul trailer to take it back to him. Wheel base was a little narrow for the trailer but it worked.

Prepping for the pad. Gravel spread and compacted. Checking level/grade.

Now here is something I regret doing, seemed like a good idea at the time. I wanted to be able to work in the garage during the winter and be able to keep it warm. I thought why not spend a little bit now to put radiant heat in the floor. I NEVER got it hooked up.

Getting the pad poured. This is the only part of the project that I had someone else do, besides the garage door installation.

Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:17:53 PM »
Wall framing! Bought a refurb'd Bostitch F21PL nailer for $120 on Amazon - some of the best money I've ever spent! Went with 2x6 so I could put R21 in the walls.

Marking window header height

South (left) and  North (right) walls done, East wall on top.

Enlisted a couple neighbors help and got the walls lifted into place.

One of my favorite pics:

20 foot 6"x12". Used the neighbor's Express van w/ roof rack to haul it home. Cut it to length (18' 9") with it on top of the van and then just pivoted and lifted it into place. 8' tall door and his van's rack cleared it by about an inch.

Man door courtesy of my brother (his old front door). Temporarily installed...

Putting up sheeting. I didn't put it on before lifting the walls because I thought it might be too heavy and cumbersome having to lift it over the electrical and plumbing pipes.

Roof trusses going up.

North wall bowed out a bit at the top, so used the Silvy' to pull it in. My buddy Chris came to help get the trusses all flipped and secured.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:20:32 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 03:25:26 PM »
Me on the roof, working on decking.

Fascia up, drip edge flashing going on.

Hauling shingles up the ladder is fun... not.

Buddy's dad is a long-time roofer, so dad, buddy and I banged out the roof in not even a day and a half.

Another of my favorite pics - Mt. Rainier.

And the backside of our house with the crappy deck...

Roof done!

Sink plumbing.

Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 03:38:52 PM »
Starting on the siding.  I put my little half-ton through A LOT. Luckily HomeDepot was literally .9 miles away, didn't have to go very far. I have 2x12's in the bed to provide support to the 12' planks.

Look at that suspension! LOL

Panel with one circuit in... for a single plug which the light is temporarily plugged in to.

Windows in.

18'x8' insulated high-lift garage door (hugs the ceiling). Went extra wide because the entrance is from they alley and its a 90* turn. Really helped when getting the trucks backed in.

Siding going up. It was Oct/Nov at this point, and I would work on it at night after work, in the dark with my halogen work light, under a tarp because it rained most of the time. It was wet and cold, I was miserable, but got it done!

I'm reallllllly thankful for my neighbor Lee (guy with the van) who is a retired framer, he helped me A LOT with getting things dialed in just right. Had me rent a builders level and make sure that I got the 4 corners marked so that I could get the siding on just perfectly and made sure all the corners matched up.

That little window also came from my brother - was the sidelight next to the old front door. Had to keep them together, being old pals and all ;)

And then we had snow...

Both vehicles snug as a bug in a rug. (BD, don't ban me for owning a Kia...)

Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 03:46:09 PM »
Moving on to the interior. It was always my plan, since I had put the radiant heat PEX in the floor, to insulate and drywall the inside, so here's that process.

Eave vent baffles installed. Found them in the crawlspace under the house, figured I'd use them rather than buy plastic/styrofoam ones. Free is a good price.

And a pull-down attic ladder. Had to cut the trusses and frame in the opening. Amazing how much crap I shoved up there that I had to pull out when we moved...

And then I got some cabinets from my uncle who had removed them from a business because he built new cabinets for them. Along with a reclaimed counter top from one of our customers that was moving (I found it on the trash pile - 9' + long). Cabinets just needed a little TLC (crappy particle board).

Added leveling feet

And a 'sub top' to hold them all together and raise the top enough so drawers would open.

And now I have some semblance of organization :) Along with two big Hitachi speakers with 12" woofers up on top.

And that's about it. I don't seem to have any pics of the ceiling drywall/insulation process, probably because by that time I was just OVER IT. Renting the drywall hoist was a life saver. I installed the insulation from below (R21 IIRC), then with the drywall hoist got all the ceiling panels up over a weekend.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:54:47 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 04:56:05 PM »
nice write up ryan
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 05:20:26 PM »
On to the deck!

The deck was 4' wide and the stairs were at the opposite end of the door off the master bedroom. Yes, the only way to the deck/back yard was via the Master.  I didn't like the stairs down there because in case of fire you had to traverse the back of the house, plus there was a step down at the corner of the house. Plus, it was built with pier blocks rather than good poured footings. The rear part of the house was an add-on and was brand new when we bought, so naturally the soil had settled some, and one pier was able to be moved back and forth, essentially hanging in mid air by the deck structure above. I re-used as much of the beams and posts as I could and extended it out to 8' off the back of the house and moved the stairs and just made it all around mo'better.

Pier blocks - the before

Let the demolition commence! Dug new footings

DO NOT EXIT!

View from above. Got batter boards up and string lines to keep things square.

Old stairs down.

All the old decking off

Mid-span beam resting on top of new footings

Beams up for the 12' section off the back of house there the stairs will now attach. Deck will be 8' wide, plus 4' for the stairs, so 12' at this section.

State of the mess:

Stairs up temporarily. Needed/wanted to get this part done ASAP so we'd have fire egress if necessary...

The 12' section for the stairs. Did I mention the old deck was built with joists 24" on-center. With 2x6's... for a 4' span I'm sure that met code, but I rebuilt it on 16" center. Still used the 2x6, was a little springy but the additional joists helped a lot.

The Nasty original stairs...

Here you can see the 5.5" step down that this section had from the rest.

Yup, working in the rain. Par for the course in the PNW.

Got the mid-span beam up, and the ledger boards on the house raised up.

This section didn't need to be raised, but there were other problems...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:21:14 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 05:35:40 PM »
The ledger boards were just bolted on top of the T1-11, so I decided it would be best if I cut away the T1-11 (if it ever needed replaced) and put some Z-flashing in to protect against this:

This being the west side of the house, and Puget Sound being due west, it gets a lot of rain.

So now I have everything dialed in at the right height, I can start hanging joists. There is a 1' cantilever past the outer beam.

20' sticks of trex that the lumberyard had on clearance. I bought almost all of what they had left I think. That stuff is HEAVY and awkward! The cab-over isuzu they delivered it on though was able to back it right into the backyard, making the 90* turn off the alley.

Did a nice 45* angle on both ends of the deck. More aesthetically pleasing.

"The thinker"

All new 2x6's on the 8' run. Used what I could from the old deck wherever possible.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:38:04 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 05:38:39 PM »
Rim joist done and everything tied together.

Buddy helped me lift those wibbly-wobbly, awkward, long, heavy 20' sticks of Trex onto the deck and I started laying them out. Seams staggered every 4'.

I also did a perimeter board, so there are no end-cuts visible from below. Required doubling or tripling up the joists on the ends so I had some meat to screw the ends in to.

See the 2x joists on the right in this pic:

More work in the rain (but under the covered section in this pic)

Last boards down except the edge since I need to notch for posts. Picture of yours truly's better side.

Miss Eliza testing it out (No railings, under VERY close supervision).

Impressed with daddy :)

Functional

Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 05:44:34 PM »
Figuring out locations for posts and notching the Trex. Cutting that stuff is tough since its plastic. You almost 'melt' through it.

Posts are through-bolted both through the rim joist AND a joist. Not notched around the rim jousts. Notice how some are boxed in completely! They're Super sturdy!

Got the trex notched around the posts.

Figuring out the short pieces and angles...

North end wrapped up

South end by stairs. Something weird with the camera lens...

Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 05:53:21 PM »
Speaking of stairs... this was fun!  As with most projects, you have to think think think ahead to know what you're going to do here. For me it was figuring out what we were going to do for landscaping and where 'final grade' was going to be. We wanted a lower patio area, so had to figure out where the stairs would come to. (note lag bolt heads in the upper rim joist for posts supports).

Starting on railings: Posts and railings are all cedar.

Top cap with extra Trex I had. I cut off the groove and routed the edges over.

A LOT of balusters. 200+. All needed cut to length and then two coats of stain.

Screwed eye hooks into each and every one then hung them from the ladders to dry. Thankfully my in-laws helped do most of the staining of these.

And a mostly-finished product.

Piece of junk solar lights... they worked for a while then crapped out. $10 each, no biggie.

Ryan

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 06:07:50 PM »
Great craftmanship Ryan. looks good.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 06:08:05 PM »
So next up, thought I'd post up a few pics of some landscaping. Grass went all the way to the sidewalk and fence, and my plan eventually was do do a white picket fence (it just fits the house), so I tilled and cleaned all of that up (picking out the big rocks).

Digging around to find the main water line to the house. Pressure test and rate calculation so I can size my irrigation zones appropriately.

The after:

A couple little roses

So while the pad for the garage was curing for a few days, not much I could do, so I rented a trencher and went to town...

"The valve vault"

My wife and daughter watching daddy work :)

Two grass zones and a drip zone for the perimeter flower beds.

And a couple more 'finished' shots. Main irrigation and garage shutoff. I have a separate irrigation-only shutoff so water can be on to garage all the time... (more on that later).

Bluebell bulbs EVERYWHERE!

Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2015, 07:38:51 PM »
First a little info on our house. It was built in 1919 and was a 1br 1ba, foundation on grade. Here is an old pic circa mid 2000's. We bought it from a family that had bought it as a flipper, they gutted the inside and added an addition as you can see in the following aerial pics.

Before the PO bought it and put a foundation on under it and did the addition:

(its the one with the gray roof and yellow car in front)

Then they jacked it up, put a concrete foundation under it, and added the master bedroom, a second bath and a downstairs 'basement' bedroom and utility/laundry area.

What it looked like when we bought it:

Then you can see the garage-in-progress in this one.

Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2015, 08:32:47 PM »
Here's the timeline so far:
Garage summer/fall of '10
Deck spring/summer '11,

That brings us to Spring '12, time to tear up the backyard.  The PO that did the addition/foundation work on the house were cheap. Instead of hauling off trash and concrete, they just buried it, then spread what they excavated over the top. I found a CARPET buried in the back yard.

I found a guy on Craigslist in Graham (Out near you Kyle) that needed fill dirt, so the plan was to haul it out to him.

Here is what I started with: weeds, rocks, and general 'crap'.

Had 20 yards of topsoil delivered and dumped in the neighbor's backyard (with their permission of course). ;)  No way was a dump truck going to make it into my backyard now that I have a fence up, and they didn't care about the yard anyway.

The day started out early, nice cool spring morning. Went and picked up the bobcat and trailer with the neighbor, had to use his van because they won't let a 1/2 ton tow larger trailers - insurance/liability/etc. I get it. Didn't stop me from towing them with my truck later though ;)

Get the bobcat off the trailer and around to the back yard, stop for a bit, take some pics of the kid and I in the Bobcat (that I can't seem to find) and then... bobcat won't start. Tried everything. Call rental place, troubleshoot it with a mechanic over the phone and then we determine that it might be the starter. He's onsite half an hour later with a starter off another unit, slaps it in and 20 minutes later we're up and running again!

I started by scraping off the top couple of inches and working on the patio area... in the process hit the corner of the deck and ripped off a corner of the outer Trex board... oops.  Glued it back down with a screw and you couldn't really tell (behind a post anyway).

So I scraped and dumped everything into a big pile and then I was able to back the truck and trailer into the neighbor's yard and load that pile into the dump trailer 2.5 yards at a time, over the 4' chain link fence.  Made 7 or 8 trips I think. Took most of the afternoon Saturday and Sunday to get it moved. In the mean-time, the neighbor who happened to have a fair amount of bobcat experience, moved that 20 yards of fresh topsoil into my yard for me.

Bobcat snug in the garage for the night next to the wife's Sorento (gasp! a Kia!)

On one of my trips back from offloading the dirt, I pull up behind this guy. He has grass growing in the bed of his truck! Looks like he put down sod and with it being so wet it just kept growing! Some kind of emission-offset program? It is Washington after all...

So I get one load out to the guy in Graham and take a break for lunch. Go back out to the truck and start toward the alley and one of the brakes on the dump trailer locks up! Big plume of smoke behind me. So I eventually get it free and drive around the block a little more and it locks up again.  So I say the heck with this and call the rental place - bring the trailer back and get another one tomorrow (Sunday) morning at their Puyallup location. Ok fine... So that set me behind a bit, but made another 6-7 trips with my little silvy on Sunday. Is it amazing that I never had any transmission problems in that thing?

This is Monday morning I believe as I was getting ready to take stuff back.

This is what the guy had to move the dirt around at his place. Just pushed/pulled it with the blade on this Ford 2N (I believe). My uncle has two of them.

And at the end of the weekend this is what the yard looked like.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:36:23 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2015, 08:43:08 PM »
So now I have 20 yards of dirt sitting in my yard, what do I decide to do? Work on putting in irrigation! So I'm trenching AROUND large piles of dirt... crazy!  Didn't make sense to do sprinklers and then scrape off the top with the bobcat, nor did it make sense to put down fresh topsoil just to trench, pull up a bunch of rocks and other crap and lose some of that nice soil into the trenches, so I made it work.

Snaking the main line under the deck to another valve box.

Said valve box.

Also ran the conduit from the garage to the various places at this point

Eliza was not happy about getting dirty :(

Walkway

Pavers for patio

Retaining wall blocks for the patio (it was raised above the grass, plus a planter area along the garage). Did I mention that I worked my little 1/2 ton hard?  Now THAT'S some flex!

Got the back end down nice and low for offloading those blocks though ;)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:45:05 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2015, 08:56:23 PM »
So June 8th, 2012... the sewer.  :-[ Due to the house's age, it has concrete pipe from about 15' off the back of the house all the way to the sewer main in the alley. Yup, you guessed it. It got plugged and backed up into the downstairs laundry area as this was the lowest drain in the house.  Had a plumber come out and they found the clog and replaced a 4' section of the concrete pipe with plastic to the tune of $3600! You kind of need a working sewer line in order to live in the house, so we had it financed and proceeded with the repair. They pulled permits with the city and all that. I asked them to leave the trench open and then the following weekend I started digging.

Of course this happened AFTER I installed all the irrigation lines. So, had to dig around those.  And then there was the entire pallet of patio pavers sitting right where I needed to dig, so moved all those by hand, some 2500 pounds worth. Had already moved them once - from truck to the ground.

During the camera inspection they saw a hole on the inside which turned out to be either a previous 'repair' or installation of a cleanout of sorts.

And digging.

And digging. Oops another hole.

And digging. It is AMAZING how close I came to the pipe when I excavated for the garage!!! At least the house-end where the ABS goes into the concrete was semi-easy to dig since it had been dug up two years earlier.

Working on the ABS to green sewer pipe connection at the house-end. Again, my better side. Laying ON TOP of the PVC irrigation pipes I had just installed...

The headless Plumber/fool/insane homeowner?

Two 20' lengths of pipe plus the 4-5' length that the plumber put in brought me right to the fence line at the alley, figured that was good enough. At that point too the line starts to drop STEEPLY so I figured I'd leave that alone. The trench at this point was 5, almost 6, feet deep!

Of course, right as I'm working on finishing up at the alley-end I head rushing water echoing down the pipe... At this time we've been working on potty-training Eliza and she had gone to the bathroom (just #1 thankfully!) AND FLUSHED!  Daddy did not get a peepee bath though, he got out of there quick!

Ryan

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2015, 09:02:56 PM »
So with that crap out of the way (pun intended), time to finish up the landscaping. I'm SOOOOO glad it happened when it did and not after I'd finished everything.

Remember the part about the deck stairs and figuring out where they needed to land - here it is.  Picture taken from deck above.

Moving dirt and spreading it out...

The pile had sat for a couple months and the rain really beat it down, so the rototiller was employed to loosen it up to make it easier to shovel. That tiller has been one of the best investments my dad has ever made. They bought it in '88 or '89 and I've been using it since I was about 8 years old.

All spread out, excess piled around the asian plum tree (not choking the trunk).

After all this hard work, I wanted instant gratification, so sod it was! And on the hottest day of the summer to boot...

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 09:03:35 PM by rpar86 »
Ryan

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2015, 09:11:23 PM »
Wow, how nice to come back from a hard days work at the farm and find this sitting here.

Good job!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2015, 09:48:04 PM »
That's one heck of a transformation!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2015, 11:42:59 PM »
Nice write up. That's a heck of a lot of work and done very well.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2015, 11:43:38 PM »
Wow great thread man! Thanks for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 09:26:10 AM »
Like how God works

Take something which is run down, at the end of it's usefulness and reworks it into something beautiful!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2015, 07:59:28 PM »
Thank you very much guys for the kind words :)  I'll post more of the saga soon I hope...
Ryan

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2015, 01:16:21 AM »
Very nice work and build thread. Reminds me I have 4 pallets of pavers I need to get done before the rain hits.

You might enjoy this; http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704660&highlight=garage
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2015, 06:56:30 AM »
Man. digging the sewer just made me sweat.  That was a lot of digging.  I hope you had good dirt and not the clay we have here.

And the sod looked great!  That is the instant gratification.  I hope you rolled around on it and then sat and stared at it for a while.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »
Tex, the top foot or so was mostly rocks. Some the size of potatoes or small melons.  Neighbor called them "Spanaway Spuds". Once you got past those it wasn't too bad.

JR, I've seen that thread before :) Garage turned out nice!
Ryan

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »
Tex, the top foot or so was mostly rocks. Some the size of potatoes or small melons.  Neighbor called them "Spanaway Spuds". Once you got past those it wasn't too bad.

Spanaway.... miles and miles of glacial deposits.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline moto123

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 02:20:57 PM »
Awesome write up, that is an incredible amount of work!  Too bad you never got to enjoy the radiant floor.  Even still, I would never pour concrete without the tubing in there just in case I wanted to use it later.  Its a bit harder to get the tubing under the concrete after the fact ;)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2015, 04:01:23 AM »

THX, garage journal?

I just finished about 40 ft of french drain line. Now the fence gets finished!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal