Hello Guest

Author Topic: Parrot Anafi review  (Read 3372 times)

OldKooT

Parrot Anafi review
« on: January 09, 2019, 12:09:46 PM »
It's been a few months since we purchased a Parrot Anafi drone...thought I would do a short review.

. https://i.imgur.com/hbwUdem.jpg

First thing: While shopping for a more upscale drone we had some rather specific usage requirements. They are as follows.

Wind tolerance: Here in Neb it's always windy. The DJ Mavic Pro we own is not at all tolerant of stiff breezes. It's presently in a box in many pieces due to a Neb wind gust of 30 mph or so, while filming along side our grain leg. 

We needed a drone with no collision avoidance: As nice as feature as this can be on a drone....it's problem prone when flying in close proximity to objects.  Something we do a lot of.

Noise: The cattle often get a little "nervous" with drones that are noisy. (The Mavic pro/spark)

Over all the Anafi by Parrot has won our hearts. It's is loaded with useful features that just simply work. 25 min flight time is normal, it's "follow me" me feature works very well. It's assorted shooting modes work as designed, and the 4k video quality is superb.

It ability to tolerate wind is outstanding, and its virtually silent if above say 15 feet or so. The 180 Degree gimbal is slick, and we use this feature a lot. My wife recently flew this drone up a rather confined space inside a bell tower to shoot video. Even with a small LED tac light strapped onto it it handles very precise. She was restricted to a area 24" or so in dia and manage to fly it up/down the tower 4 times no problem.
'
It's range is about 2 miles/give or take a little...(no real wi fi "noise" out here) the return to home feature is spot on. An it's fly's over water with almost zero problem. Unlike another drone we own.

Over all impressed enough we ordered a second one for doing thermal mapping.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Parrot Anafi review
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
awesome review
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 09:58:29 PM »
Hope you don't find a soon to be active Volcano!  :shocked:
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:37:15 AM »
lol Don.... We use thermal mapping for many aspects of agriculture. In our case my drone pilot (kay) can map a field in very little time, she can then provide me with real time data as to how to set up my irrigation rates/zones. The drone also can show me indications of yield, fertilizer rates, weeds, and erosion issues even. This saves us $$$$/resources and increases yields.... win/win.

We have used the drone in the spring to map soil temps in fields to know exactly when we can plant even. It's even handy to find "soft spots" of mud when harvesting.

My son used a thermal map of his homes roof/walls last year to help him determine where to insulate/seal, and he claims he's saving $$$ on heat over last year now.

The 4k camera video is also a hugely handy tool......just set the drone to fly it's gps routes.... go home and study your crops health on the 72" TV while sipping a beer. Same with checking for hail damage to crops and buildings. I have used drone video to study soil erosion after a hard rain.... which allowed me solve a variety of issues the following fall, that I'd likely have never seen without that footage.

Now the above all said..... I am a low tech kinda guy, not too smart and usually clueless. But even I can appreciate tech that actually pays for it's self.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 09:06:42 AM »
Learn something new everyday... I had seen GPS enabled tractors and fertilizer application programs that would vary the rate based on where you were in the field via GPS but never heard of a drone being used that way. Are there farmer blogs where all of this type of stuff is shared?

Competition for yields per acre?  :popcorn:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

OldKooT

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »
There might be blogs/forums for such things. I am largely a internet hermit for the most part. But ya wouldn't believe the "tech" discussions at "lunch" at the local farmer hangouts.  :cheesy:

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 09:58:17 AM »
lol Don.... We use thermal mapping for many aspects of agriculture. In our case my drone pilot (kay) can map a field in very little time, she can then provide me with real time data as to how to set up my irrigation rates/zones. The drone also can show me indications of yield, fertilizer rates, weeds, and erosion issues even. This saves us $$$$/resources and increases yields.... win/win.

We have used the drone in the spring to map soil temps in fields to know exactly when we can plant even. It's even handy to find "soft spots" of mud when harvesting.

My son used a thermal map of his homes roof/walls last year to help him determine where to insulate/seal, and he claims he's saving $$$ on heat over last year now.

The 4k camera video is also a hugely handy tool......just set the drone to fly it's gps routes.... go home and study your crops health on the 72" TV while sipping a beer. Same with checking for hail damage to crops and buildings. I have used drone video to study soil erosion after a hard rain.... which allowed me solve a variety of issues the following fall, that I'd likely have never seen without that footage.

Now the above all said..... I am a low tech kinda guy, not too smart and usually clueless. But even I can appreciate tech that actually pays for it's self.

You two NEVER cease to amaze me!

I may have to write a book about you!

Granted it may look more like science fiction from the 1930's, but it would be one heck of a read!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2019, 05:01:13 PM »
Nice writeup there Norm, funny I just found it. The DJI "pro" now the "platinum" is supposed to be top of the line.  I have been eyeing the DJI "Air" and lately the Mantis Q, but neither really had what I wanted. By the way they have new props for the pro that are supposed to be quieter.

I looked hard at getting one, but never though about the Parrot at all.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 03:11:43 AM »
I just bought a Factory Reman unit. Will be here when I get back from Vacation.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 11:30:43 PM »
Used mine a few times now, Works great. Not really used to aircraft just sitting there with no input.

Don't like the SD card holder, but it works. Wish you could DL without removing it.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal