Hello Guest

Author Topic: G17 gen 5  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
G17 gen 5
« on: January 26, 2018, 10:11:48 PM »
I am roughly 1500 rds down range on my new gen 5 g17. I really like this gun. I’ll tell you the added features like the enhanced trigger and the flared mag well really make the weapon, over previous generations. I don’t consider myself a firearms aficionado or anything, but I like them to run.

If you will believe this, my biggest concern is that it hasn’t malfunctioned yet. I generally like them to malfunction a few times in the first 2-300 rounds and then clear up to none or one every 500 rounds or so... 1500 round count today... no malfunctions... is it broke in?? Are they about to start??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: G17 gen 5
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:36:44 AM »
no malfunctions... is it broke in?? Are they about to start??

Approaching catastrophic failure. I'll take it so you don't have to deal with the loss... I mean just helping out a fellow grunt.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 08:46:44 AM »
Tell me more about the enhanced trigger?  I run Ghost Rocket triggers in all my glocks. Any comparison??

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
Tell me more about the enhanced trigger?  I run Ghost Rocket triggers in all my glocks. Any comparison??

Not to hyjack, but

Tex, do you use the full system, springs and all or just the 3.5 lb lever piece?

Ever have any light primer strikes?

I hear they are a possibility with the full on light kit, and therefore I have not converted mine fully.

A guy on my security team running a G30 has the full system, and another a G17 gen 4 has the full system, and I can say, "Best triggers around"

HC, any mods yet...Trigger? Or still all factory? And what is that trigger set at, 6 lbs?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 07:29:18 PM »
Chief my standard mods are the ghost rocket 2.5lb with adjustable over travel, marine striker cups, and extended mag release.  No spring changes.  Never ever had a light primer strike. It’s a glock. It always goes bang

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 09:15:51 PM »
If you shoot a lot of stock previous gen triggers you could describe it as breaking through a wall, with your finger. Lots of people hate it, but I have always been of the adaptive sort... I learned to get good with them, rather than swap it out.

As for the gen 5, it’s more like a rolling disconnect if that makes sense. It’s just smoother.

I keep factory guts in my duty/carry weapons. I don’t want to take the chance on having to explain myself to 12 knuckle heads who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty why my gun is made to shoot better.

I can defend it on a long range bullet launcher, or an AR I built from the roll pins up so that doesn’t matter.

Glock says 5 1/2 lbs on the trigger if I remember correctly.

"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 11:17:32 PM »
I don’t want to take the chance on having to explain myself to 12 knuckle heads who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty why my gun is made to shoot better.

Nice! :likebutton:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 02:13:48 AM »
My stock G22 served me well for about 20 years. Now it resides at my home. I have no idea how many rounds have been through it.

Can't recall it ever not performing as it should, cept when they plopped a dead round in there for training.

They did a couple upgrades over the years and I added mepro night sights.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:12:36 AM »
The thing that I really like about the Ghost Rocket is the overtravel adjustment.  When installed correctly, it allows for less than a 16th of an inch reset for follow up.  I have some here along with some NIB unmolested glocks.  I promised to do a write up on it a while back and I will as soon as I get the shipping container mods done and all my reloading stuff moved from my bro-in-laws.

I'd like to shoot the newer gens.  I stopped buying new over the counter a while back so I haven't had the chance.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 09:37:42 AM »
Appreciate the comments to my DOT intrusion

I have never experienced a Glock malfunction except when non-glock parts were introduced. I showed up at my farm to shoot doubles with a Marine friend of mine.

I had some new Mag-Pul G17 mags. I got malfunction after malfunction from them. I canned them and now that i am back to the pure Glock G17 and G15 mags its business as usual.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal