Hello Guest

Author Topic: NWMT Cabin  (Read 29856 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: NWMT Cabin
« Reply #650 on: August 09, 2023, 01:10:17 PM »
Matt, the ats will be added to back side between the two small boxes. It’s literally undo the feeds to both the shop and cabin panels and run them to the ats then new wire from each 200A disconnect (meter side of pedestal) to the ats. Should save us in the long run and keep everyone happy.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 09, 2023, 02:41:28 PM »
My generator package also came with a whole home surge protector.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 09, 2023, 05:42:24 PM »
Shawn, are you guys still able to secure the adjacent lot that was listed a couple months back? Reading the commifornia developer having screwed everything up made me wonder.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 09, 2023, 07:38:58 PM »
My generator package also came with a whole home surge protector.

Nice  :likebutton:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 09, 2023, 07:45:47 PM »
Shawn, are you guys still able to secure the adjacent lot that was listed a couple months back? Reading the commifornia developer having screwed everything up made me wonder.

We could have as I had it under contract with contingency of Colorado shop selling, which it has not. Shop has had a couple offers and a lot of tire kickers. I believe it will sell or I’ll lease it out if it doesn’t by end of the year.

The contract on the lot expired. I told my realtor (at the time, he was fired today) a day before old contract ran out if they wanted to lock it in for same money I was ok doing that up to the end of September. I clearly stated several times if the contract lapses & they try to find another buyer and cannot then I am no longer at the prior price. I will be at a lower number. My realtor who was not working in my best interest told me to give the seller grace and they needed time to think. At that point I said ok and stepped back and waited. The sellers took over a week out of contract then came back and wanted to lock it in until end of September at prior price. I told them no, I walked away. Today I called up and let the realtor go.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2023, 07:50:33 PM by stlaser »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 09, 2023, 08:03:33 PM »
Yea makes sense! Realtors don’t actually seem to work for their customers so much as the biggest check they can get any more. It’s a bittersweet reality, but I’m ok with wife and I most likely not having to deal with them for quite some time.

I look forward to seeing how it works out, I personally believe it will work out in your favor because housing market, like most other things, is looking bleak. But maybe not there.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 09, 2023, 08:33:41 PM »
The back story is this realtors gf was representing sellers. When they don’t listen it frustrates me, when I get frustrated on more than one transaction with same realtor it’s time to find another. That’s where I’m at….

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 09, 2023, 09:35:06 PM »
I actually have a really good Realtor. Casey Rhodes is the daughter of pastor Rob Rhodes who is a former 2-75th Ranger bullet slinger. He is still scary today after years. She works hard, never complains, and is just dead honest on everything. I am surprised that in her mid 20's she is still single. (Maybe her dad scares off possible suitors???)
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 09, 2023, 09:44:43 PM »
I have a great realtor in Indiana still, been using her 20 years now. I have a great realtor in Colorado, 8 years strong. I now hopefully have a great realtor in Montana. Sometimes it takes a bit to get a great one.

I should also mention my middle daughter Shelby. Full time junior student at MSU @ Bozeman (criminal psychology), manages coffee shop just off campus for a Christian married couple, started jewelry business early this year, nanny’s several times a month for friends kids, does kids ministry at church on weekends (which she is stopping once school starts) & is getting her Montana Realtors license. Recently dating a welder of all things, smh…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 10, 2023, 08:40:43 AM »
I have a great realtor in Indiana still, been using her 20 years now. I have a great realtor in Colorado, 8 years strong. I now hopefully have a great realtor in Montana. Sometimes it takes a bit to get a great one.

I should also mention my middle daughter Shelby. Full time junior student at MSU @ Bozeman (criminal psychology), manages coffee shop just off campus for a Christian married couple, started jewelry business early this year, nanny’s several times a month for friends kids, does kids ministry at church on weekends (which she is stopping once school starts) & is getting her Montana Realtors license. Recently dating a welder of all things, smh…..
OH NO!

She's the one I wanted my Chris to marry!
That is after he finishes Basic training, 14 FTXs in the 101st, Air Assault School, Basic Leadership development course, Airborne school, Ranger school, Sniper training, Ranger assessment, three years in the 75th Ranger regiment, SF assessment, SF O&I, Weapons school, Language school, finish 7-8 deployments to wherever, gets his "special school" completed, fights a campaign or two with the Alien invaders, builds his house, and takes a leave. After that, he's ready!
Hope she is still around and hasn't settled on anyone by then!
;-)

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #660 on: August 10, 2023, 08:52:25 AM »
Now that is a long range plan.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 10, 2023, 09:36:26 AM »

&…… this started like 6-8 years ago!  :knucklehead:

With that stated, she’s not boy crazy and pretty focused on “life” so maybe she won’t be married by then idk. Her older sister is getting married in October, I’ll have one down & two to go.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 10, 2023, 01:45:03 PM »

&…… this started like 6-8 years ago!  :knucklehead:

With that stated, she’s not boy crazy and pretty focused on “life” so maybe she won’t be married by then idk. Her older sister is getting married in October, I’ll have one down & two to go.
I remember!
Chris had just won a wrestling tournament and I think it was Shelby just won a Cheer tournament. We were texting and swapping pics of our kids...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 10, 2023, 02:35:42 PM »
Correct, Shelby’s team won state

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 12, 2023, 07:19:08 PM »
Correct, Shelby’s team won state
:likebutton: :likebutton:

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 13, 2023, 06:34:55 PM »

Additional framing of garage door frames complete with exception of some 5” screws and tapcons along with an 8’ long 2x8 I need to acquire yet.

So the back story on this. When we decided we were going to have a 2’ tall rat wall I looked long and hard at the overhead door on my existing garage. Then I proceeded to make openings for overheads 3” wider than the door size (garage doors you frame to actual door size, so if you have a 10’x10’ overhead door the rough framing is 10’x10’).

Fast forward to last week. Talking to installer and he stated (which I think is a lie) that I needed to frame the door opening to the inside of the rat wall. He needed 2x6 from floor to lid, a 2x4 across top of door and a 2x8 center of door above it to the lid. In this conversation he did mention some contractors cut the concrete back. In hindsight imo that is the better and less expensive option although I had all material on site as left overs with the exception of the above materials. I personally do not like and especially in my steel shop the garage door sitting proud to the interior space. Had I cut the concrete the door would have set recessed from concrete wall and been better protected.

So there you have it, make note if ever building a shop with high rat walls. In the future I will have concrete guy block it out inside his forms when pouring. Now I will need custom facia for that 10”+ wide opening around the door frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 15, 2023, 06:12:43 PM »

Well, we found the line going to the cabin……

We were extremely lucky. First this conduit needs cut in this exact spot. Second, the neutral wire only has a couple nicks in the coating. It did not get into the strands or damage either of the hot legs.

Long story short, per specifications from utility this was supposed to be in a 2” conduit not 3” and we had located a 2” (fiber line) conduit on opposite side of trench about 10” deeper and assumed that was our power line. So we were digging 10-12” higher than fiber with mini when we hit this. Two lines in same trench and we were told that the fiber was supposedly under the power. Anyhow, we were lucky today and I should go buy a lottery ticket now.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 15, 2023, 06:30:52 PM »
I would say you were very lucky. I never like to dig anywhere close to utility lines. Somehow the as built prints never show what is actually in the way of the bucket.  Glad everything was ok,
I have a patched up phone/tv line That was in the way when we ran power trench to the shop. I still need to dig it up and fix it properly but it is working fine so why mess with it.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 15, 2023, 06:45:44 PM »
Right, we were going extremely slow just scratching on one pass then laying bucket flat and scooping on next pass. Former lineman neighbor was operating and I was spotting. As soon as I heard it I stopped him. But too late, he was a former lineman supervisor and said chit gets hit all the time. You just never know what’s underground. Precautions were taken and we still hit it.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 15, 2023, 08:23:59 PM »
I dig by hand whenever we are close to gas comms or electrical.

Nice save Shawn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 15, 2023, 09:05:24 PM »
Agreed, thought we were but obviously not!

Thanks Charles

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 15, 2023, 11:31:28 PM »
We call the ol blu stake and if it’s not marked our guys dig it right up.  Iv seen gas lines, fiber lines, lots of cable for tv and older abandoned phone lines. Never hit a house line via a hole.   

I did stick a 1/2” drill bit into the middle of all three of those cables coming into the house when I lived in Tooele.   It started a fire, toasted my dewalt drill, scared the chit out of me.  And finaly killed the house breaker outside.  The neighbor power guy helped me patch it all up after I used a hammer saw to rip the wall out. 

I put a cabinet over the hole and a note on the back of the inside of the cabinet lol sold the house never looked back

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 15, 2023, 11:41:30 PM »
When I was 19 we were doing an upgrade to a water treatment (drinking water) facility on the east side of lake wawasee in ne Indiana. It was on the back side of a mobile home park. Jim the electrician for our jobs was quite the character. Anyhow we happened to be roofing that day which gave us a front row seat to his antics. He had called 811 however many hours prior. So this particular morning as he’s waiting out the clock he’s sitting on a 4 wheeled trencher. As soon as his watch declares the wait is over he fires up the machine and starts trenching in a new service line. Approximately 4 hours later the Comcast repair guy shows up. Comcast failed to mark their lines at all. So as the guy is walking up Jim takes him on an animated tour of the dozen or so lines he hit trenching in that new service. Comcast dude had a bad afternoon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 16, 2023, 09:45:06 AM »
Storytime, cool!
I burned my ornamental grass back one year.
A combustible plastic cover in that bed covered The utilities.
It lit right off and melted down into a little pool of flaming plastic.
In that pool were the 440 lines tuning into the box that made 220 to the house.
I tried to fight the fire (Mistake)
I stuck a rake into the molten goo...The thought was to drag it out of the hole and extinguish the fire.
The tines of the rake hit the now bare power lines.
The rake instantly blew apart, like as in the thing exploded. The tines evaporated and I felt the power of that amperage as it blew that rake apart.
The power company was ticked at me...

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 16, 2023, 07:37:29 PM »

Random framing & hung header for rear roof section. The entry door and 5 windows showed up from HD. Hauling pitrun again in the morning. We currently have a 1pm shutdown time on operating equipment with the heat and dry going on. Smoke rolled back in today from the boys up north.

Will most likely finish hanging osb and maybe install that entry door in the afternoon tomorrow.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #675 on: August 17, 2023, 08:05:54 PM »
That picture with the man door opening really gives a better scale on how large the shop really is.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 17, 2023, 09:30:31 PM »
It is tall, but when he limited enclosed sq ft the height was a way to gain storage and useable space with a 12x24 mezzanine I have to build yet.

I hauled more pitrun this morning, need 2-3 more 5 yard loads to finish the base. Then several loads of crushed to top it off but it’s very close to being useable now. In fact any of our vehicles can easily navigate the new exit/entrance. Then this afternoon I closed in the east end and house wrapped it.

Garage doors are waiting on a different side mount opener.

Roof steel was delivered this morning, they will be here to install at 0700 tomorrow morning. Then it should truly be dried in with tin.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: August 18, 2023, 01:04:41 PM »
How many more trips to get all your stuff home? Have you sold the shop back in Colorado yet?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 18, 2023, 03:40:31 PM »
Bob, I think 2 & no haven’t sold. Tire kickers so far, I’m headed down next week to get a load. My oldest is getting married in golden at end of October so we’re going to be there for a week and may make that the last trip. I’ll know better after next weeks trip.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 18, 2023, 06:47:37 PM »

U-shaped driveway almost ready for crushed stone.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 30, 2023, 08:42:00 PM »

Back from the second to last trip to Colorado. Hung the j channel around the perimeter of the high bay area of the shop and was able to hang one run across. Currently have 1/3rd of it hung.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: August 31, 2023, 12:44:35 PM »
Wow, coming together so fast/well!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 31, 2023, 07:49:24 PM »
Looks good, bet you can pull the trailer right for loading/unloading or working in the weather.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 31, 2023, 09:58:07 PM »
&………. The high bay ceiling is up!

Then returned the scissor lift this evening

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 31, 2023, 10:05:43 PM »
Insulation not needed??

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 31, 2023, 10:18:19 PM »
Blown in on top of that steel Charles. Much easier to install. I’m going to start quoting insulation shortly. Need to get ceiling wiring punched in first though.

Speaking of which next Thursday is the big day for the service upgrade to the 400 amp pedestal.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 01, 2023, 06:47:52 AM »
Ahh. Makes perfect sense.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 01, 2023, 08:08:36 AM »
Look at that ! Just look at it

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 03, 2023, 12:01:19 AM »

So above are two colors available as batten board steel siding. We’ve decide the color on the left. Broken up by a black wainscoting and a couple other black accents however this will make up the bulk of the exterior.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 03, 2023, 11:17:02 AM »

So above are two colors available as batten board steel siding. We’ve decide the color on the left. Broken up by a black wainscoting and a couple other black accents however this will make up the bulk of the exterior.

Correct choice for sure given the location and what you see all around

Now if you were in the Tuck, then the right panel would be the appropriate choice to match the double wide paneled over trailer next door 8-0

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: September 04, 2023, 06:48:22 PM »

Hauled in two more loads of base and five loads of 1”- crushed this morning (yes on Labor Day). I still need quite a bit more but at least the u-shaped driveway is accessible now.

I then proceeded to spreading it all. In the process I cut back the original entrance not quite doubling the original width. In all I should easily be able to access the property now with trailers. The package delivery drivers will be grateful too.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: September 04, 2023, 08:47:01 PM »
Sweet, time to start turning products out!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: September 05, 2023, 02:39:23 PM »
Soon, some garage doors would be nice

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: September 06, 2023, 12:37:33 AM »

Shop got a walk-in door hung and five windows cut open. Gotta see if I have enough of that tape to go under the windows then nail them in place tomorrow.

I ordered the 3’ of wainscot for the building. May go with a different manufacturer on the board and batten siding, better warranty, thicker material & company has been in business since b4 dirt (pretty sure that’s older than Don even?)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 12:05:43 PM by stlaser »

Offline hammer7896

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: September 06, 2023, 08:59:16 PM »
Something I’ve started doing while installing windows is using GRK cabinet screws instead of roofing nails. Less chance of nicking the window and able to remove the screws if you need to adjust.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 06, 2023, 11:30:34 PM »

That’s a really good idea, wish I had come across that tip before I installed 4 out of 5 windows with 1.5” roof nails.

Ran about 30” shy of having enough butyl tape to go under windows. So now I get to lay down another $50 for a roll I mostly don’t need!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 07, 2023, 12:49:05 AM »
You can use it on thresholds of doors. Not on concrete of course

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: September 07, 2023, 09:19:32 AM »
This is true Dave, doesn’t help me in the least but it’s true…..  :facepalm:

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: September 07, 2023, 04:15:20 PM »
You might repair a door on the main house one of these days and be able to use it. 
Also works as booby trap for the HOA president, peal it and wrap around his head?

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 07, 2023, 07:35:57 PM »
Lol, you said booby…..

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal