Hello Guest

Author Topic: PJ 14 ft bedover dump trailer.  (Read 1115 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
PJ 14 ft bedover dump trailer.
« on: March 13, 2020, 04:39:45 PM »
Well, as most of you know I sold the Maxxd 22ft trailer and bought a new PJ dump trailer. It just fits my needs better with the dump and being a bedover I get most of the same versatility as the 22ft, just in a shorter length, just 14ft. Now I was thinking a 16ft, but no one had them within reason.

I have scattered posts around on this showing a few mods, but overall it is built great. I think some details could have been addressed like cleaning up a few welds, license plate mount and tarp setup. So I will cover here what I am doing to it.

First a few pics when I picked it up.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: PJ 14 ft bedover dump trailer.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 04:54:22 PM »
I got a spare with my deal, but it had no mount and they had no matching rims. So they changed them all out for black wheels  :grin: which was fine with me.

First thing I saw was the crazy tarp setup. Why way up with those hooks and the mech stood out about 4-6 inches?

Then there was the license plate holder. Why down there with a dump trailer?

Then the open space in the frame behind the battery box?

All these needed addressing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2020, 02:24:33 AM »
I addressed the open area behind the pump box next. Just seemed a waste of space and an easy upgrade for throwing stuff around while loading/dumping.

Welded in a little angle to make a shelf.

Got a little expanded metal, cut to fit.

Now its a usable area that self cleans (and gets dirty easy)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2020, 02:25:59 AM »
I want to add a step to each side here and 2 fold down in the back.

Being a deckover getting in can be a pain.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2020, 02:34:39 AM »
Then I addressed the license plate mount. Hanging down like that says "rip me off" to any dump trailer (or off roading)

Cut the old mount off, we don't need no light either!

Welded a tab and tapped it 1/4x20, a little paint and done.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2020, 02:51:08 AM »
Next I needed a mount for the spare tire. Right now its been riding around where ever (like under the Gehl) and staying with the trailer is a must. I don't like when they hang off the sides, front is OK. But out of the way is better.

Found a stock GM tire lift on amazon, figured why not. For some reason it did not secure the tire, so I added a couple tabs to it.

Cut a slot in the 2x3 C channel under the bed (spaced at 12in  :cool: ). With the 2x4 runners for the ram it gave a good offset.

Cut a 2x2 tube for the bolt (welded a nut inside first) and welded between the 2x3s.

Painted it up and got a piece of square tubing for the drive, securing it with a cotter. Will add a pivot up front for it.

Bolted in and lowered the bed to the "work" position. That just allows the keeper to catch the rim and lift it up it does. Doesn't feel really solid so I going to a couple wood runners on the 2x4s to give the sidewall a place to rest better.

Everything clears great and still leaves room for another tray just in front of the tire similar to the one up front, but secure.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2020, 02:57:10 AM »
Also addressed the tarp mech as it stuck way out and I ran into it more that once going by.

I saw no need for the big hooks on top, cut em off. Drilled a hole right under them and slightly angled them to retain the rod.

Then I cut down the rod so I only had about an inch extra vs the 4-5 before. I also welded on much larger washer than were there before.

Trimmed the crank rod down about the same. I could get it a little narrower, but this seemed to work fine.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 03:04:07 AM »
Then I filled the opening (arrow) as it didn't make sense and trimmed some off the door tabs that still work fine and you don't catch on as much now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2020, 03:12:39 AM »
I have another thought on the D rings. Regular D rings are fine front and rear. There is a lip on the fold down sides that allows these to be welded on with little interference when used as a dump trailer.

For the four I want to add near the middle of the bed, I think a shouldered eye bolt will fit the needs nice. I will weld a bolt under the bed to secure these, leaving them in until I use the dump feature. Then simply remove as needed.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 11:02:54 AM »
Nice work

That basket up front would be perfect for wheel chocks or ratchet straps
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 12:30:15 PM »
Binders and chains for the tractors toss in there easy too.

It wouldnt be to hard to put a lid on it out of the same expanded metal.   Our chains and stuff always walk off.  Usually to other guy that work with us but a simple cage would work well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 02:54:26 PM »
Yes, that's an option but most of that fits in the front box. It is separated inside.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
PJ 14 ft bedover dump trailer.
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 05:16:54 AM »
JR I may have missed it somewhere, but how
Much does it weigh? And what is it’s GTWR? While I no longer need a trailer like this, it is something we have considered in the past.

Nice work on the functional upgrades

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2020, 12:59:43 PM »
JR I may have missed it somewhere, but how
Much does it weigh? And what is it’s GTWR? While I no longer need a trailer like this, it is something we have considered in the past.

Nice work on the functional upgrades

4k empty, 14k gross. Pulls easy and is 8ft wide vs 7ft. Allowed me to walk around the load.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal