Hello Guest

Author Topic: hotdish -VS- casserole  (Read 1538 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
hotdish -VS- casserole
« on: March 07, 2019, 11:02:45 AM »
so I am from the Midwestern farm county of ST. Croix, WI.  some towns that are in this county are New Richmond, Hammond, Baldwin, Hudson (county seat), summerset, Roberts, etc.  this county literally sits right on the border of Minnesota and Wisconsin, separated by the ST. Croix River with Stillwater, MN. (think river boat scene from grumpier old men during the apple fest with the polka music) on the Minnesota side of the river.  I was actually born at the hospital in Stillwater...(why the decision to travel 7 miles and cross a state line instead of traveling 7 miles in the other direction was made, I have no idea  :facepalm:  ).

what does all that have to do with the difference between hotdish and casserole?.....well this is the rural farm area that I grew up in and still have family in, and this is where just about every meal, gathering, get together, whatever you want to call it a hotdish was/is served and sometimes a casserole would be served as well. 

if you look up the definition of hotdish, you will probably get something like this:

A hotdish is a casserole which typically contains a starch, a meat, and a canned or frozen vegetable mixed with canned soup. The dish originates in the Upper Midwest region of the United States, where it remains popular, particularly in Minnesota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. Hotdish is cooked in a single baking dish, and served hot (per its name). It commonly appears at communal gatherings such as family reunions, potlucks and church suppers.  The history of the hotdish goes back to when "budget-minded farm wives needed to feed their own families, as well as congregations in the basements of the first Minnesota churches." According to Howard Mohr, author of How to Talk Minnesotan, "A traditional main course, hotdish is cooked and served hot in a single baking dish and commonly appears at family reunions and church suppers." The most typical meat for many years has been ground beef, and cream of mushroom remains the favorite canned soup. In years past, a pasta was the most frequently used starch, but tater tots and local wild rice have become very popular as well.  Hotdishes are filling, convenient, and easy to make. They are well-suited for family reunions, funerals, church suppers, and covered dish dinners or potlucks where they may be paired with potato salad, coleslaw, Jello salads, Snickers salad, and pan-baked desserts known as bars.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotdish

and if you look up the definition of casserole, you will probably get something like this:

A casserole (French: diminutive of casse, from Provençal cassa "pan") is a large, deep pan used both in the oven and as a serving vessel. The word is also used for the food cooked and served in such a vessel, with the cookware itself called a casserole dish or casserole pan. "Casserole" should not be confused with the word "cacerola" which is Spanish for "cooking pot".
In the United States and continental Europe casseroles usually consist of pieces of meat (such as chicken) or fish (such as tuna), various chopped vegetables, a starchy binder such as flour, rice, potato or pasta, and often a crunchy or cheesy topping. Liquids are released from the meat and vegetables during cooking, and further liquid in the form of stock, wine, beer (for example lapin à la Gueuze), gin, cider, or vegetable juice may be added when the dish is assembled. Casseroles are usually cooked slowly in the oven, often uncovered. They may be served as a main course or a side dish, and may be served in the vessel in which they were cooked.

In the United Kingdom, the Republic of Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand, a casserole is named after its dish, rather than its contents. Casseroles in these countries are very similar to stews. The difference is that once the meat and vegetables are browned on top of the stove, they are then cooked in liquid in the oven in a closed dish, producing meat that is tender and juicy, from long slow cooking. The heat is indirect, so there is less chance of burning.

Examples of casserole include ragout, Lancashire hotpot, cassoulet, tajine, moussaka, shepherd's pie, quiche, timballo, sweet potato pie, and carbonnade. A distinction can be made between casseroles and stews: stewing is a cooking process whereby heat is applied to the bottom of the cooking vessel (typically over a fire or on a stove), whereas casserole is generally baked in an oven, where heat circulates all around the cooking vessel. Casseroles may be cooked covered or uncovered, while braises are typically covered to prevent evaporation.

In 1866, Elmire Jolicoeur, a French Canadian immigrant, invented the precursor of the modern casserole in Berlin, New Hampshire  The casseroles we know today are a relatively modern invention. Early casserole recipes consisted of rice that was pounded, pressed, and filled with a savoury mixture of meats such as chicken or sweetmeats. Some time around the 1870s this sense of casserole seems to have slipped into its current sense. Cooking in earthenware containers has always been common in most nations, but the idea of casserole cooking as a one-dish meal became popular in the United States in the twentieth century, especially in the 1950s when new forms of lightweight metal and glass cookware appeared on the market. By the 1970s casseroles took on a less-than sophisticated image.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casserole

here is summary of what these 2 sites are saying:

Casserole vs Hot Dish

The modern lifestyle requires everything fast and easy. Even in food. And if one would have to list down food choices that cook up in no time without compromising taste and the quality of being a square meal, then casseroles and hot dishes would definitely top the list. These two are types of baked meals especially popular in the U.S. Casseroles and hot dishes are a hodgepodge of ingredients practically covering the entire food pyramid. There is meat and vegetable proteins and carbohydrates in every pan. Some would say these are one and the same. Others contest they are different. Truth is, they are somewhat similar in terms of origins and cooking technique but varies mostly with the ingredients used.
Casserole is a baked dish cooked and served with a vessel where it took its name from a casserole pan. The term is widely used up to now. The dish dates back in the 18th century where they use fine pressed rice, chicken, and sometimes sweetbreads. It contains 4 major components: 1) starch – may be in the form of grains, potatoes, noodles, pumpkin, 2) proteins such as beans, legumes, or tofu, 3) some soup, stock, vegetable juice, cider, wine, beer, or gin, just enough to allow everything to integrate and moisten up a bit, 4) and lastly, a crust to make it solid and crispy. Casseroles particularly use lighter meat such as chicken and fish such as in the case of tuna casserole. As for the carbohydrate component, casserole dishes usually use grains or noodles. They are cooked uncovered. Sausage and Apple Breakfast Casserole, Shepherd’s Pie, Mac and Cheese are a few examples.

A hot dish, on the other hand, is a variation of the casserole dish particularly popular in North and South Dakota and Minnesota. Like its counterpart, it is a complete and packed meal in itself. It has starch, proteins, soup, and crust components as well. However, hot dishes mostly use potato bases like potato chips, hash browns, strings and tater tots. They never use rice for the base. They’re also heavier on red meat such as ground beef. Unlike the casserole, hot dishes commonly use cream of mushroom as a binder. In some cases, it’s cooked in creamed corn like in the case of Minnesota goulash – a famous concoction of tomatoes, macaroni, ground beef and creamed corn. Like its counterpart, hot dishes are cooked uncovered. An example of a hot dish is Tater-Tot Hot Dish.

Casseroles and hot dishes have both become staple foods in the whole of United States. They serve not only as convenient all-in-one family meals but as comfort food as well. One would typically encounter these dishes in communal gatherings like family reunions, thanksgiving dinners, potlucks, and funerals. They can be eaten as a main dish or a side, and with condiments such as ketchup or mustard. They’re best served with beer.

Summary:
1. Casseroles and hot dishes are types of baked dishes which are a mixture of starchy bases, vegetables, meat, and a crunchy crust or toppings.

2. The former is a general term that has been used since the early 18th century, while the latter applies in South Dakota, North Dakota and Minnesota.

3. Casseroles use lighter meats such as tuna and chicken, while hot dishes use red meat, such as ground beef.

4. Hot dishes use more condensed soup varieties like cream of mushroom. Casseroles employ lighter ones such as stock, vegetable juices and wine.

5. Both casseroles and hot dishes have become all-in-one staple meals in the United States. They’re also always present in banquets during family dinners, thanksgiving, funerals, potlucks, etc.

http://www.differencebetween.net/object/comparisons-of-food-items/difference-between-casserole-and-hot-dish/

so basically the concept of a hotdish and a casserole are the same, but the ingredients differ....a 1 dish complete meal that can be made with very little $$$, be super filling and can serve a lot of people.

hopefully this explains it?  if you have any questions, please ask.

here is a PDF version of 9 hotdish recipes for you.  please ignore the name of the person on the front page...(i know that he is an idiot and a moron... :facepalm:

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: hotdish -VS- casserole
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:07:47 AM »
Based off of this,  the majority of the "casseroles" I ate growing up and still make today should have actually been called "hot dishes". 

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 12:29:36 PM »
Based off of this,  the majority of the "casseroles" I ate growing up and still make today should have actually been called "hot dishes".

explains why mom's side, the norskeys from ND made outstanding cream of mushroom soup "casseroles"
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:48:17 PM »
Now I need to go make a casserole or hot dish!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 09:52:54 PM »
 :beercheers:  :popcorn:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 06:02:29 AM »
Mmmmmm.....hungry....  guess I’ll cook dinner tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 07:53:13 AM »
In Nebraska we never called anything a Hot Dish. Everything is casserole. Unless its lasagna. We even make a Runza casserole.

I don't know what you would call it but my favorite quick meal is something I call slop. It would fall in the hot dish category.

This is from my bachelor days but the kids really like it.
boil A bunch of egg noodles
lb of hamburger browned
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
add 1 can of mushrooms if you want. I like mushrooms.
You can add peas or corn or what ever you want.
mix it all together and thats it
I will pile it on my pate then melt some cheese on it in the microwave.

It looks like slop but its good.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 11:08:55 AM »
Cream of mushroom soup, ground Italian sausage and onions and diced potatoes over toast. Grandma never did cheese, but I did :evil:
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 04:41:22 PM »
Tate that sounds good. I'm gonna try that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal