VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Maintenance, How to/DIY projects

LML thermostat replacement

(1/4) > >>

cudakidd53:
Waiting for a neighborly hour to fire up the compressor and tools, so I’m putting some pictures up so you all can use this for instructional purposes - either what to do or NOT do!  That’s waiting to be determined!

So, first up, is the dreaded CODE thrown on my way to the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL for this year, with the plan of trucking off to the North Woods with my buddy Ray, tomorrow morning......isn't that always the way!

Second image shows areas of concern/operation!  Green = hefty hose clamp to be loosed so I can spill coolant all over everything (see third photo for preparations to address that event).  Red = Fuel System Port? (Ken alluded to that previously).  Yellow = Oil fill tube; either gets loosened or removed - we'll see!  Blue = some electronic gizmo clamped and mounted RIGHT where the bolts are to remove the thermostat housing.......ENGINEERS!  This appears to be a spring clip of sort, but rather stout looking so I envision me trying to remove it and busting something....knuckles, wires or something important and expensive!  I should mention, that a search of the interweb shows no easily available service manuals etc. of the LML Engine and it's lay-out!

Third image is my preparations for a coolant storm, predicted to hit anytime during said operation!  Green oval = two totes for under shelf of my dog area in truck cap, taped together since if left separate, will certainly allow coolant to hit directly between them!  Red = mobile container to try and avoid the previous preparations being necessary.....year right!  I'm predicting entertainment for Nate, Ken, Charles and Shawn, while Don will understand and feel my pain while the rest giggle politely in the background!  Notice this is being done OUTSIDE of the garage, so I can hose down the mess easily...some trick of the trade that Ken mentioned!

cudakidd53:
To make Charles feel better about Nate breaking his "reward truck" budget......I bought 200+ dollars of tools I won't probably need for this operation since I based it upon some video of how to do this on previous evolutions of the Duramax!  Nate sent the links.

Large 1/2 drive long armed ratchet, off set ratcheting box end wrenches (metric & standard), universal joints for each drive size, extensions that will probably be just an inch short for each application, and a torque wrench!  What can I say, Sears was having "sales" on Crapsman stuff!

stlaser:
Pretty pictures.....  :popcorn:

KensAuto:
Don may understand, but I bet he will still giggle his butt off.
You done yet?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Sammconn:

--- Quote from: KensAuto on May 26, 2018, 10:12:15 AM ---Don may understand, but I bet he will still giggle his butt off.

--- End quote ---
So will this guy...

And I might too.
It looks a little more plugged than my LBZ.

You done yet?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version