VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Maintenance, How to/DIY projects

LML thermostat replacement

<< < (2/4) > >>

cudakidd53:
Finished in about 1 1/2 hours -  started after 8 AM to be more neighborly, had a couple cups of coffee, did some prep work and then put some clothes on and went out to attack the beast.  Not too difficult but glad I did the prep work.  Videos online show all older versions of the Duramax and not the LML forward.

cudakidd53:
 First you need to remove 2-13 mm bolts holding the fuel excess gizmo.  You fold that back out of the way and then pull the expensive looking gizmo out of the spring bracket.

cudakidd53:
 Then you remove 2-13 mm bolts holding the oil fill tube to the block and thermostat housing. Be careful not to drop the lowest one down on the block.  The lower white arrow, is holding the Fan Shroud in place and to the right of it is the plastic protrusion that indexes with the thermostat housing.

cudakidd53:
 Here are two photos that illustrate what I’m talking about and a method to help avoid doing so.  Of course I dropped it on reassembly! Luckily it fell down into the skid plate holding all of the spilt anti-freeze!

cudakidd53:
 Now you want to pump anti-freeze out of the coolant reservoir. I used this pump to remove about 1 1/2 gallons.  I also milked the upper radiator hose - squeezing & releasing repeatedly to pump more into the reservoir for removal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version