VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > General Maintenance, How to/DIY projects

How To: Radiator Stack Removal and Install Chevy Duramax truck

(1/7) > >>

Nate:
How To: Radiator Stack Removal and Install

ok since this has not been done before or if it has it has been hidden in the millions of threads on this forum, I went ahead and decided to take some pics of how to remove, clean and install the radiator stack. this should pertain to all OBS trucks since I have an LBZ and it is generally the same for the LLY and LB7.

Symptoms:
1. truck is running a little hot.
2. transmission is running a little hot.
3. A/C is not quite as cold as it was before. (should be done before this How To: Clean Evap Coil )
4. truck is operated in dirty/dusty generally nasty conditions.
5. you have changed out the thermostats and have done a complete DEX-cool flush but engine is still running kind of hot.

now this is not a cure all for some of these conditions, because maybe you need to change fluids, maybe something else is going on to cause the issues, etc. this is a how to for removal and reinstall of the coolant stack whether just cleaning them like I did or having to replace them for what ever reason. it is a good service to add to your yearly maintenance routine as well.

so lets start with what you will need to accomplish this project.

before you begin:

1. you need to get you some engine cleaner/degreaser

2. get a good pressure washer. one that will easily remove the garbage that has collected on your coolant stack but not so powerful. you have to remember that you will be spraying it on the fins of the radiators and around electronic equipment.

3. make sure that you have you plenty of good hydration beverage, like me I had me some Gatorade and water because I was out in the TX. sun during the middle of the day.

4. below is a list of tools that you will need to accomplish this mission
5. if I have forgotten something them by all means make sure that you acquire it before you start this project.
6. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST 4 HOURS FOR THIS, 1.5 FOR REMOVAL AND 1.5 FOR REASSEMBLE, AND 1 HOUR AS A BUFFER/BOO BOO LIP COOL DOWN TIME

list of tools needed:

1. body clip removal tool
2. long needle nose pliars and a magnetic retrieving tool (to retrieve something if you drop it)
3. socket wrench with a couple extensions and a swivel joint. (I used 1/4" drive because none of the bolts were that big or tight that constituted anything above 3/8" drive.)
4. sockets in these sizes 10mm, 7/16", 1/2"
5. a T25 TORX head (bit/screw driver/wrench whatever you choose) there are only 4 bolts/screws that you will have to remove with this.
6. you can add a good flat tip screw driver and channel locks to the list.

Nate:
ok, now that we have all of the gathering, acquiring, preparing issues covered lets start.

1. ensure that your vehicle has been sitting over night so that you will not burn yourself with hot fluids and metals.
2. open the hood and remove the plastic covering the hood release
3. remove the air cleaner, air cleaner box and the intake tubing
4. remove the grill guard by lightly pulling or pushing the clips free.
5. remove the pins that hold the head light assemblies in place
6. while leaving the light bulbs in the assemblies, remove the plugs from the bulbs.
7. for the lower day time running and clearance lights, there is a small plastic catch on the back of the assemblies towards the outside of each one. push that together and the assemblies will come out.
8. gently push in the catch on the back of the bulb and give it a 1/4 turn.
9. the light should pop out of the socket.

this is the same for both sides.

Nate:
once you have both light assemblies removed from both sides, the grill, and the plastic piece covering the hood release, your vehicle should look like this.

Nate:
in these next 2 pictures you will notice all of the arrows. the yellow arrows are the 4 bolts that you need to use the T25 TORX to remove them. all 6 or 12 of the blue arrows you need the 10mm along with the swivel adapter to remove them.

make sure that you pay close attention to the BIG RED arrow. that is an impact sensor and it is part of your airbag system, make sure you pay attention when you disconnect it so as not to destroy it.

Nate:
once you have all of those 16 of those bolts and the 1 sensor removed, gently pull those mounts out and lay them aside.

1. behind those mounts that you just removed there are 3 bolts per side that are (hidden) assist in holding the top cross member in place,

2. there are 2 bolts that are on the back side of the top cross member,

3. 2 bolts on the bottom of the hood catch/release support (per side),

4. 2 blots the hold the trans cooler in place to the catch/ release support, and the 2 bolts that hold the A/C cooler to the top cross member.

5. the last bolt is just above the battery on the drivers side holding the little bar to the cross member.

here are 5 pics showing all of the bolt locations.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version