Hello Guest

Author Topic: On self defense-  (Read 3876 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
On self defense-
« on: June 18, 2015, 05:47:47 AM »

And now, a PSA from your friendly neighborhood Policeman-

It is warming up outside and the calls on your friendly neighborhood Policeman’s beats are becoming more frequent. Now is a good time to re-fresh on a couple of key facets of defending yourself from tweakers, sexual predators, and ISIS, or all inclusively, “degenerate mopes.”

So much of self-defense is simply not putting yourself into a position where you will have to be defensive. Taking pro-active measures to insure you remain in a safe environment is paramount to the tools you use to defend yourself. Simply making sure you have enough gas in the tank to fill up at a venue of your discretion beats being forced to fuel up at that place that was on the news last week or worse, running out on the highway in front of the friendliest of trailer parks. Degenerate mopes, know no boundaries, however spending time in an area with a higher concentration of criminal activity apparently lends to the increased risk of falling victim to crime.

Just like degenerate mopes know no bounds, they are not solely nocturnal creatures. That being said, the concealment night time offers tends to increase their activity. When you go shopping do you take the time to forecast how lit your parking area will be if the sun goes down before your credit card is declined? Or, are you the jerk in the Kia that cuts me off and steals mine? Try to plan your activities where you are afforded the most availability of light. Safety is not always convenient but it increases life expectancy ten-fold. If you must venture to Wal-Mart at 0300, park in the lighted areas and away from white carpenter vans.

Degenerate mopes seek easy prey. The stoner wearing overpriced head phones and playing angry birds on the bench at the bus stop is more likely to get a good city mugging than the guy standing with his back to the wall people watching. The gal, talking on her cell phone to her “bff”, oblivious to everything not pertaining to the latest gossip, is more likely to find herself rolled up in a tarp in the back of the aforementioned, “white carpenter van.” It is sad, but I often see people walking across dimly lit parking lots with their faces in their cell phones tripping over parking curbs. Chances are they are most likely texting their significant others about how creepy the parking lot is. Being conscious of your surroundings at all times is not paranoia, it is preventative of being the plot of a Lifetime movie. It’s never good to wake up in a hole with duct tape ligature marks being encouraged to lotion up by a degenerate mope.

There is a push back to being defensive of yourself via your attire, which is metabolizing in our PC culture. It has become a narrative that people shouldn’t have to dress any certain way to avoid attack and that the attackers… “Just shouldn’t”. The problem with this ideology is pretty simple, the attackers, “just do”, and no amount of harshly worded rhetoric from Diane Sawyer is going to stop that. This doesn’t just go for the girls in the mini-skirts and tube tops utilizing the alley behind bar row as a place to relieve themselves. It also goes for the guys with the NRA shirts that scream, “I’m packing”, or the cool morale tees that say, “Hey, I’m an Obama supporter.” Don’t get me wrong, I have a cool t-shirt or two, and you can dress however you want. Just realize, if you look like food, there is a higher probability of you being eaten.

So let’s break this down, Sesame Street style-

A- Always control your environment to the best of your ability.

B- Be conscious of the availability of light and the impact it has
on your safety.

C- Careful, not carefree! Be situationally aware!

D- Dress in a manner that says “Hey don’t $%#^ with me”

In conclusion, let’s all have a great summer! Oh, and to the guy in the Kia, “It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: On self defense-
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 07:09:35 AM »
bro, you would be supprised just how much of this is not taugh in the army now a days.

a couple of things i would like to add if permitted.

1. dont put bumper stickers or stickers in general all over your vehicle.  that as HC stated is like a flashing neon sign saying here is everything you need to know about me to make it easier for you to attack me in some way shape fashion or form.  this includes all those stick figures or doggies or what have you that show the mommy, daddy and all the little kiddies, etc.

2. always back into a parking spot or pull all the way thru if you can.  it is easier to push something out of your way going in a forward direction than it is going in a backwards direction.

3. take a look at your surroundings and have at least 2 different routes of egress. this also goes along with your routes to the stores, schools, gyms, etc.  it is too easy for somebody to watch you day after day and catalog everything you do and use it against you when it is convienent for them.

If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 07:32:06 AM »
Thanks HC- well written and informative; especially like the "Silence of the Lambs" references!

Nate, I thought you were gonna throw in your favorite Chianti and a recipe for farva beans?  ;)
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 07:45:25 AM »
not much of a wine guy.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:12:49 AM »
Great write-up. Hopefully lots of people follow this advice.  Unfortunately many won't.  Bad things happen but don't volunteer for it.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 11:54:11 AM »
When seated at a dining establishment with the family or having an adult beverage at a local watering hole, I've always felt the need to face the door and see who's coming and going. Just don't like the feeling of having my back to some Ringo & Hunny Bunny coming in and robbing the place or worse.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 01:08:56 PM »
When seated at a dining establishment with the family or having an adult beverage at a local watering hole, I've always felt the need to face the door and see who's coming and going. Just don't like the feeling of having my back to some Ringo & Hunny Bunny coming in and robbing the place or worse.

I do the same thing... try to avoid sitting in the bar for obvious law-abiding reasons based on my EDC choice. But I always try to orient myself to be between my wife and the door, sit/stand in the back by the door at church, etc.

Great write up HC. Thanks for posting.

I especially agree with not advertising what you "got going on", whether it be on your vehicle or your choice of T-shirt.

Might take some heat on this one.... but this is precisely why I'll personally never open carry. Would much rather have my 45 nice and concealed rather that paraded around for said mopes to see and either want, or want to neutralize.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2015, 04:03:39 PM »
I'll say it, heat or no heat- open carry is dumb! Unless your state only allows for open carry,  tuck that crap away. It invites trouble more than it prevents trouble. If you display your weapon as a political statement your behaving foolishly.

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2015, 04:04:14 PM »
I'll say it, heat or no heat- open carry is dumb! Unless your state only allows for open carry,  tuck that crap away. It invites trouble more than it prevents trouble. If you display your weapon as a political statement your behaving foolishly.

Molon Labe!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2015, 09:17:13 PM »
"So much of self-defense is simply not putting yourself into a position where you will have to be defensive. "

Truer words were never spoken.  The more training I received the more I realized I never want to be put in a position to have to use it if I can help it.

As for the back to the door, funny.  Even my kids know to leave the seat facing the door for daddy.

2. always back into a parking spot or pull all the way thru if you can.  it is easier to push something out of your way going in a forward direction than it is going in a backwards direction.

Have you seen the butt on my Dually???  I back in anyway to be considerate of those that have to deal with the hips on that truck trying to back out.

Open carry is a right I believe we ought to have.  But just because you can doesn't mean you should.  We passed it in Texas but I like it just so in case I bend over to pick something up off the shelf in the store and I give a little unintended peek-a-boo that some sniveling liberal won't run to the store manager.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2015, 09:36:04 PM »
I've always been a "back to the wall, facing the door" person........what are we all gonna do if we all meet up sometime?!?  :D
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2015, 10:00:20 PM »
Either meet in a round room or a clandestine patrol base. 
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2015, 10:59:22 PM »
Either meet in a round room or a clandestine patrol base. 
...or outside, like at Don's place.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 01:56:14 AM »
I've always been a "back to the wall, facing the door" person........what are we all gonna do if we all meet up sometime?!?  :D

The best gunner gets to face the danger area! LOL! We go through this all the time when my buddies and I go somewhere. Someone always has to be the designated cover and the designated gunner!

Truth is, part of being brothers is *knowing* each other will have your back at all costs. Not having to worry if the number two man is right on your ass as you break cover. He will just be there. just like you would be there for him when the stack falls awry. A band of brothers is fluid. Everyone teaches their job to everyone else. No secret tricks under your hat. You see something new, you pass it down the line, you talk it over and you own it or discard it... watch one, do one, teach one

Molon Labe!

Offline rasimmo

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 12:45:56 PM »
It's funny how much the men on here are alike. I went to dinner with 7 other guys a couple months ago. 4 of us are real close and I knew without asking that we were all carrying. The other 4 I was not sure about. Yall can guess which 4 sat with our backs against the wall facing the door. The guy next to me looks across the table and says " If yall see one of us stand up real fast duck under the table before it gets flipped over in your lap". We laughed about it, but he was telling the truth for sure.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 02:40:57 PM »
HC and all great points!

I have a 17 year old ditzy daughter and have tried to install all of the points you guys have discussed.

I also made her read Gaven De Becker's book "The Gift of Fear" and then we discussed afterwards. Too many people try to be polite or PC correct when their Spidey Sense is tingling. Be rude and get the heck out of there.

When we are out I always ask her questions about people or situations. I get a kick of of some of her responses but it's always a learning moment for me and her.

http://www.amazon.com/Other-Survival-Signals-Protect-Violence/dp/0440508835/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434738976&sr=8-1&keywords=the+gift+of+fear+book

Good stuff   :)
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal