Hello Guest

Author Topic: LML Duramax Silverado Build Thread [Part 1]  (Read 97798 times)

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: LML Duramax Silverado Build Thread [Part 1]
« Reply #150 on: October 30, 2014, 10:55:20 PM »
Had another cool part show up on the back of the brown truck

Thanks to Holton at Alligator!

I will be installing this Alligator down pipe in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armalite View Post
"Its not too bad on the new lml's. Did mine last week. You need at least one other person to help you, but two is better. You dont have to remove the transmission dip stick or anything else, other than the fender well. Only hard part is removing the rear factory heat shield. And then getting a good "seat" at the turbo and getting a good fit with the clamp. Other than that, its not bad at all !!

I'm sure Don will have no problem installing it. I'm not going to say it cant be done by yourself, lol, because Don will prove me wrong, and make it happen. So, I'm interested to see his approach". 

You just laid down the gauntlet!
I was planning on starting it one morning around 0800 and working by myself. I think I still will and see how it goes, That gives me up to noon when I call in the Cavalry, who will also bring me a sub sandwich and tea. Since he's just a Black Hawk pilot, I usually give him all the difficult/dirty/dangerous tasks! (and complain the whole time about his poor quality workmanship!)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:57:38 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 30, 2014, 10:59:34 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by .............
"When is the last time someone has called you McGyver? I mean this thing has gone from a stock LML to something that will be in the next transformers movie! Im waiting for voice control and a red light bar to pop up now. Then the truck will introduce itself as Maximus Modded and Ill kick your trucks butt! haha "

That's funny!

Serious note though, just think about it. You get into a situation where civil unrest goes into mahem. I'm thinking the larger the vehicle the better off you will be. If it's a diesel, then it has all the HD stuff which means while you're flooring it to smash your way through stuff, drive axles and control arms and things like that will stay intact.
Remember I cut my teeth with these kind of vehicles in places like Baghdad and Kabul. I wasn't doing the driving, but the guys who were did whatever was necessary to get through. jumping curbs, pushing cars out of the way, driving over debris, going opposite direction against traffic and knocking walls over were just some of the tricks I watched and learned.
By my reckoning, you need big heavy powerful vehicles to get through all that. You need big torque engines to move all that. Diesel fuel is not as likely to catch fire if you are driving through burning vehicles. Bullets will do less damage or you'll simply have more of a built in reserve to get you out while your truck is dying. And it can carry more stuff and people. Arguably, a HD truck is a terrific survival vehicle and takes much less in the modification department to be reuseable afterward.
All the while it is giving you that capability, it still works out well as a driver, camper, grocery getter, and mall cruiser. Win-win-win the way I see it!
But, yes it is going to morph quite a bit more before I call it sort of done!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:59 PM »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 30, 2014, 11:06:21 PM »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 30, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2014, 11:13:30 PM »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2014, 11:15:31 PM »

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2014, 02:09:27 PM »
Ohhhh, the TAC-Topper......wait till you see the Pre-Rangers make the final modifications! :o
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2014, 02:29:54 PM »
You're probably one of those guys that tells details about a movie to someone that hasn't watched it yet!
lol

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 03, 2014, 09:05:15 PM »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2014, 09:08:33 PM »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2014, 09:13:48 PM »
Originally Posted by Armalite
"Get that lowering kit installed yet !!"

Yep, sure did!
No pics, camera batteries died!
I cut about 8" out of the legs, 4" each side of the hinge and rewelded the thing.
After reassembly it cranked to full height well enough but at this point in the design, it's anything but stable. So that's issue number next. See if I can find a way to get that thing locked in place and not wobbly.
Like I have said all along, this is a slow running game. I hope after all this work that I don't fumble on the 1 yard line. Well if I do and the thing comes up short, I'll only be out around $600ish. On the flip side if I can get it worked out, I have a pretty cool camper shell.
Back at it tomorrow! ........

............The work proceeded again today on the chop top project. After some reinforcing of the base of the topper and adding links to make the lifting poles rigid, the top finally goes up and down without flopping around. I came up with a cover for the lifting poles which is a simple piece of 3" PVC. I will paint it some interior friendly color later on, but the idea is to "clean up" and hide the mechanical linkages.
Next I will fashion up some retaining pins and a couple braces to slide into place when the top is up to keep it there and the weight off the lifting mechanism.

Maybe I'm ready for a pure truck modification project. Something simple but fun, about half a day's worth. You guys ready for one of those write-ups?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »
OK, as promised here's a "normal" truck project.
In this installment, I will be installing the Silastic rubber bushing, hinged, nice on your bottom ride enhanser thing-a-ma-jigs.
Was that enough adjectives for ya?
These beauties are a nifty contrivence that replace your steel shackle with a rubber twist bushing that is designed to soak up normal road harshness and will react before the springs.
I wanted them because with my whole planned package which consist of a rear sway bar, Deaver springs, Firestone air bags, and maybe, just maybe some off the hook King custom 3" shocks. Anyway, these shackles are a planned part of that modification process, and I wanted to get some seat of the pants time on them before all the utter (mispelled on puropse) changes are ah takin' place.
Many thanks again to Holton Guyton of Alligator Diesel Performance for his help in this project.
Here's the box and what you get:

Most notable, of course are the all important decals. They can be used in many ways, to plaster all over your tool box and cabinets for example. Or perhaps to cover a recent rock ding while doubling as making your truck appear as a class 8 desert racer. Or perhaps they can be applied over a noisy spouse's mouth piece if she is saying totally crazy stuff like, "Why don't you mow the grass instead of working on that truck!"
Anyway, enough with the suggestions, here's a closeup of the good parts

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »
And here is where it all starts...

OK, a quick read over of the instructions and I could see this was going to be a breeze, a simple 10 minute job.

WRONG

It wasn't quite a satanic ritual, but let's just say there are other steps required to actually put these things on that the instructions neglect to mention. Additionally for those that have purchased a copy of my book I will be adding to Chapter 22, which is titled "Wisdom."

First off, of course you need to remove the factory shackles. A quick zap from my new 600+ ft lbs impact wrench and the bottom nuts are off.
Next comes the top bolts.
First go get a couple gallons of gatorade, some asprin a really big hammer and a steel pole 2 feet long. You will use the latter to alternatively beat on the truck and your head.
To get the top bolt out, you need to disconnect the bottom bolt completely, then jack up the axle until the spring tops out against the body. THis is the moment when you first notice GM placed a steel body flange exactly there where it stops this process about 1/4" short of where it needs to be.
Your choices at this point are 1. bend that flange up and out of the way, or 2. remove the bed of the truck to the point where that bolt will clear.
I chose option 1.
So out comes the RBFH (Really big flippin hammer) and a 2' section of steel pipe. On the first swing of my hammer I did indeed hit the pipe. THat jolt loosened about 7 pounds of dirt which acted in acordance with the laws of gravity. Luckily none of it got on the floor, because my face and mouth stopped it all.
Road dirt does not taste good. OK a good rince and a quart of gatorade to remove the taste, and a see through face shield, and I continued to beat on the steel pipe.
This is the first pearl of wisdom we will pencil into my book:

Whenever you are holding something heavy above your head, you will invariably drop it.

Write that in please...
Here's the area of pain, err, bending:

That bottom bolt is a vacation in the Bahamas by comparision. Set the impact to off with your best 24mm socket, get a wrench of the same caliber and let her rip!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2014, 09:25:52 PM »
So you beat the living shot out of your truck which used to like you, and you, it and finally after some choice french (small "F") the thing comes out!

Ah, think you're done??

THink again!

Here's where you will add yet another pearl of wisdom to your copy of the book of Don.
When sitting uncomfortably under your vehicle with an air hose rolling about directly under L5/S1 what ever you need will be just out of reach requiring painful extra movement.

Pencil that in as well please...

When you try to position the sulastic shackle in place to push in the upper bolt, you discover that the back bulkhead, just barely interferes with proper alignment. Mind you, just barely! It's close enough for you to  with it for 30 minutes before you realize that two pieces of matter actually can not occupy the same space at the same time!
So back to choice 1. RBFH or 2. Remove the truck bed.
Again I opted for choice #1.
And for a third amazing time I will once again ask you to pick up the pencil and write another pearl of wisdom into my book.

"If a heavy steel pipe has previously hit you on your forehead, and you drop it yet again, then it will strike precisely the same spot again."

Pencil that in there also, please...

The left side has some electronic control panel bolted in there. It effectively blocks everything. THis is my answer to actually get to that bolt once I beat on that bulkhead and injured my head.

The knife is pictured because at this point I realized I still had one side left to do and was considering suicide!

Ok, so after a L O T of swear and using of ancient hebrew blessings, I finally got the things in there, bent bulkheads, flanges, and all!

Here's a side by side of the new and the old

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2014, 09:29:20 PM »
The sulastic shackle has a resting position of 3" between the bolt hole centers.
The factory dumb iron piece has a C to C distance of 4 3/8"

Obviously suffering from the brain damage from the multiple concussions, I no longer cared about focusing the camera, so this is the only shot I have of the sulastic piece fitted in there. It is out of focus as is my life at the moment, but hey, just roll with it.

The sulastic shackles raised my unladen truck about an inch. It has not been driven at the point of this picture. I plan to get to that after a long shower and a visit to the emergency room. Following all that, I'll report on the ride changes if any...Till then BE Good

....Edited

I wanted to say a couple words after the test drive. Really, there isn't a lot of difference. There is, however a decrease in ride harshness from driving over expansion joints and when bottoming out in long smooth dips. That experience just turned into a glide instead of an abrupt event.
I didn't see any difference in cornering or with braking. During light, moderate and hard accleration, again, it's about the same. The truck did break traction accelerating up a country hill at lower speeds, dunno...fluke.
Overall, considering the quality of the part, the injuries and the ride for lightly loaded driving it seems like a wash. I'll re-evaluate once the topper is back on with the quad .50 mount!

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 09:36:12 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »
We will be inventing and installing a shotgun mount in todays installment of what the heck is Don up to next???

THe plan is to get a functional non intrusive mount for a 12 gage shotgun into the cab of my truck making the weapon easily deployable from a seated position. That means the weapon should be coarsly oriented in the direction you will grab it, located on the side of your grabber device (hand) and more or less ready to go to work in an instant.
The mounts that fit overhead have you scrambling in the dark for something that is back there somewhere. The mounts that stand the thing up on end are a long reach, have a funky retention device and block that exit.

Considering all that stuff the only place I can see to mount it is thusly:

The weapon of choice here is the newer Mossberg 930SPX. This mount also fits my M500 SPX, Mossberg Persuader, and the range of Remington pumps and autos which I do not use.

So to keep the weapon in place it needs to have the muzzle and the stock retained somehow. I started by finding some steel tube and cutting about a 1.75" piece

This small cylinder fits loosely around the magazine extension tube of the shotgun

I found some 1" X 2" rectangle tubing and sliced a piece off about that long. Percision is not in play at this point. Well to be honest Percision was never in play. Ever heard of Kentucky Windage? Well, you're seeing the concept in action!
I pushed the various pieces together hard and got a tack weld in place. Next I welded that sucker up like it was the single retention bolt for the Hoover Dam!

After grinding I applied gun lube paint. Otherwise known as John Deere black, according to the book of Don, it also lubricates the end of barrels of guns

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2014, 09:52:43 PM »
I didn't have my BlackHawk Pilot friend handy, so I enslaved my 8 year old, having him tighten the two 5/16" bolts while I held the nuts from the underside. THe bolts come out just beside and above the PTO cover of the transfer case.

The butt stock retainer is gonna make you angry or happy depending on whether your wife just went shopping or not.
Starting with 3" Aluminized muffler tubing, I cut off a 1.75" piece and split it along itis seam weld.
THen with careful shaping with various dollies I formed it into the clip like shape you see. I also coated it with the John Deere gun lube, then wrapped it with 1" wide electricial tape to help the gun lube.

I slipped it down over the lower console section then screwed it in place from inside the console so no screws show at all

Here's some shots with the Mossberg held in place in it's new home

I tried the mount on a couple other weapons and found that they fit in a gravity retention fashion, however not as planned. In a gitty up-gone dity-mau I could drop a 5/8" right handed ice maker in there for a short drive, but not as a planned move sort of deal.

Pic #1 is a M4 with a double 30 mag.
Pic #2 is an AK-47 with a 40 rd mag and a collapsing stock

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2014, 09:55:17 PM »
One of the tenants of survival anything is hide in plain sight. Another is low observability. I think I might have achieved both with this mod. You have to be taller to even see inside the windows. Then you have to really be looking to catch that gun part that just doesn't jive with the styling LTZ interior. All in all, I think it's a pass.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2014, 09:13:52 PM »
save

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
So here is the next of an endless series of modifications and improvements.
Looking at the dual fuel filters and dual oil filters, along with excellent filtration, I see four big leak points. SHould a rock or piece of debris poke a hole in any of those components, you will be able to follow the line a couple hundred meters to my broken down truck.

I have long wanted to get started on skid plates or at least protection for vital components, so today I decided to fix the filters.

In this installment you will see how to "Armor-up" thise liquid filled thin wall cylinders fairly easily.

Here's what we are starting with:

The concept here is going to wrap the filters with a steel jacket. For the two fuel filters, 3.5" aluminized muffler tubing is perfect. Cut two sections the length you need. ON the air dog, that will equate to two different lengths

One cylinder required some relief cuts near protruding bolts.
TO hold the shields onto the filter, a simple clamp will suffice. I cut some picture window slits into the sides of the shields where a stainless band clamp could capture both the shield and the filter as well.

The plan is to come back to this at a later date and fab up an actual skid plate. With that in mind, I attached the new shields, then welded some threaded tabs as future attachment points

I know, nasty looking welds...well not really, just a lot of heat to get max penetration since those anchor points might take a serious wack at some future point. THe high heat setting set fire to the oils, the aluminum, and my right hand (glove)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:33:21 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2014, 09:24:47 PM »
A little time with the wire cup grinder, and some clean up with laquer thinner and we're looking pretty spiffy

Flat black paint and decals hide lots of welding spatter and sloppy work! You will note that I am using a lot of both elements here

OK, good, those need to sun themselves for some time to bake on that John Deere paint/gun lube stuff.
Next on to the front (Oil) filter unit.
I used 3.5" for the fuel filters. The oil filters are a whole different animal. The smaller filter takes 4" Steel tubing and the large main filter takes 5" tubing. Luckily, I had both laying around so with some measuring and cutting I had my next two parts.
I decided to use the band clamp technique for the smaller tube, but wanted to up my game for that big 2-quart main filter. I ended up cutting the 5" cylinder along it's long axis and using bolts welded to either side of the cut to draw the segments back together forming the clamping pressure I needed.

The smaller oil filter got the same treatment as the fuel filters

I bolted the biggin' onto the biggin' and the smaller one was clamped onto the, well, smaller filter.

I created two more larger nut plates for addition of a future skid plate and tack welded it in place, then removed it and finish welded the assembly

I applied more paint/gun lube to the new creation.
Here's both filter shield units resting happinl on what has now become my spare painting table

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:40:14 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2014, 09:26:59 PM »
With the addition of the band clamps, installation was a snap (that's fast and easy)
As promised I applied a decal over one of the sloppy areas!

Ditto on the oil filter shielding and just like that I'm all done...happy me!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:42:53 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 04, 2014, 09:40:38 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by *******
"Your fabrication skills and used still amaze me! Damn nice job!"

Well Thanks!
seems the protection of all these diesel filters is just plain overlooked.
Do you think this is a decent enough solution to provide some basic protection?
I think some folks will be able to use this idea on their trucks if they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *******
"I think its a great idea! The only thing I would worry about is if something could get jammed between the filter and shield and the ground. U said u was considering a skid plate though so that should solve that."

Yessir, this shield as it is may be obsoleted in the future by a skid plate system. I may cover the bottom of the vehicle with plates, some of the bottom, critical areas...??? I haven't given that a great deal of thought yet, but I did want something under there for now just in case.
One thing I was considering was a steel frame mounted on the underside which held composite panels in place. THe goal being light weight while retaining strength and the ability to glide over debris such as junk strewn in the road or a rock field. I played with that idea in the past. THere are some dynamite plastics which are light and blue ox strong. They also are "slippery" so when the truck is crawing over a Nissan, the poor quality jap parts wouldn't hang up my truck but the plastic panels would allow me to slide over the junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********
"I think its a great idea to have a full skid plate system. Light weight is the key in my opinion.

I will suggest something though. From my Experience with my quad. I have installed a full set of aluminum skid plates. Not the lightest but it has been extremely durable and lasted through what I've put it through! I know aluminum is a little soft though."

Aluminum comes in many different hardnesses, check it out. Most automotive stuff would be softer grades because of cost and ease of forming.

HDPE (High density Polyurethane) sheet in 1/2" thickness has an impact resistance of 120 lbs/inch! So as you roll over the A-pillar of a Hyundai, naw forget that, iKorean junk will fold up under any pressure. As you roll over a newer (not rusted through yet which will be hard to find) Korean SUV roof pillar, the force of that structure crushing should easily be accommodated by the plastic HDPE sheet.

Posted by Armalite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6
".......HDPE (High density Polyurethane) sheet in 1/2" thickness has an impact resistence of 120 lbs/inch!...."

Now you're thinking. That's some pretty bad stuff. What we use to cover the bottoms of our bowfishing boats. Glide over any stump, log, or beaver dam in the lake. Never had it puncture before either.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 04, 2014, 09:41:08 PM »
You know, I was thinkin (mispelled on purpose) which is not a normal or safe activity for me sometimes, (most of the time lately??)
This is supposed to be a build thread. Heck I even named it my build thread. But it is a bunch of things. We get to Faith, traction devices, guns, lift kits, patriotism, more gun stuff, survival, young guy counselling, military and combat, the book thing, my girls and boys, fuel additives, philosophy, and a host of other things.
Maybe I should rename all of this. Call it the Don show. Not because I want anyone to know or remember my name, heck every third guy in America is named Don. No we should call it the Don show simply because I probably won't forget my own name and then the title won't be misleading any longer. What did Mr. "T" say. "Pity the fool" well I do pity the fool who spends what, a week, reading this thread thinking it is a build thread only to have gone down so many side streets that it could actually develop symptoms of early mental illness. Of course, one could logically argue that anyone who followed all this, for this long, might actually suffer from some mental disorder.
You know what, all that was a dumb idea, forget it, The Don show, what was I thinking?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 04, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
Got a bit of a hangup here
I keep wondering if the topper thing I am building is too little.
It doesn't provide much space if you have to do much more than overnight in it which I have already done. Not enough room for very much at all
I almost have to expand outward and I could do that in a variety of ways.
I could relook the design and perhaps do something with that to gain some room. A flip-Pac tent thing would do something there, but just not be that durable. I could perhaps buy an surplus Army trailer, the larger one and build that out with a cooking area, tent of some form of a habitat and develop the supported site concept with that. With an articulating reciever hitch it could be all terrain.
Another option would be to just buy a fold down truck camper unit that cranks up to the full height living position when stationary, but provides a lower CG and drag profile while on the move. I could of course modify that to fit my exact needs.
That's why I have been a little slow in the topper build out at the moment.
Here's some pics of what I am talking about, which are of the Palamino camper system:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatLakeOffRoad (stlaser)
"If you haven't go look at one in person, I doubt you'll like the quality of them. Not very durable, nor will they take the abuse you intend to put it thru possibly........ (note: I live near and supply the RV industry of the world aka Elkhart, IN. with steel parts) just my 2 cents"

Coming from you, that's all I need to hear!
I trust your judgement so I'll rule that one out...But what if Dr. Don did his stuff to one?
OK, Shawn, got anywhere else I should look? How about the Alaskan? That's supposed to be a sturdy camper?? .......

.........General comment here:
I am not giving up on the tactical Topper concept, just revisiting the concept before I get any deeper in the idea with bucks. As I move forward on that project, the cost is going to go up rapidly so this is a good point to see what I have so far, and where I could divert to.

OK, onward and upward!

Posted by Armalite:
Don, if I can be honest here for just a sec. I wanna give you a couple of my thoughts, and that's all they are. Just my opinions.

For anyone else here, just wanna clear up something first. Don and I have had numerous conversations, on this forum and in private. We are just about on the same page, so I dont want anyone thinking I'm being negative towards Don. He knows exactly where I'm coming from...

You need to ultimately decide where you want this topper to get you, and what purpose it needs to serve for you in the end. For an overnight stay, or even a few, it will serve it's purpose just fine. If you're looking for an extended stay, I feel that you're not going to get the results you want. That's a small, cramped space. I got in the back of my truck and walked around today, trying to see what kind of space you're dealing with in the back of that truck. It's CLOSE quarters for sure. Especially if you get ready to add a fridge, sleeping arrangements, generator, ect. Now, don't get me wrong. I know you can figure out mounting solutions and ways to make the small space work. But heck man, you're a big guy. You need more than a 6' bed. I'm not downing your concept in anyway. It's the most inventive feature i've ever had the pleasure of seeing brought together. Heck, that's why I'm trying to send you whatever I can that will help, because I wanna see that sucker work. It's truly remarkable. I just feel, personally, that this is a one of a kind concept, that will serve it's purpose for grabbing a cat nap, or catching a few hours rest, then moving on. It will not serve as a weekly, or monthly, overnight camp out. You will run out of room. I feel you will get frustrated with the lack of, well, everything. Space, equipment, ect. I mean, you're only going to be able to fit so much, then that's it. No more room.

Again, there are two sides to every coin. Same with this situation. You need to figure out what your end goal is. And shoot for it. I was given some very good advice the other day. It fit my personality perfectly, and it will fit yours as well.

"Don't make fun of those that dream, because those that don't dream, dont have anything."

Get after it big Don...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:44:20 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 04, 2014, 09:59:52 PM »
Gents,
Just ordered some parts to keep all this going.
Read along but pay attention to the last item.
1. Just ordered the 4" LML Deaver springs to get rid of that lift block I mentioned a couple thousand pages ago.
2. Ordered the turbo resonator block off plate from Alligator. The idea is to clean up the under hood area some more in prep for something, actually a couple of things which is coming soon
3. Since I desperately need an EGT and boost, I ordered the Edge CTS monitor with the dash mount kit and the rest of the stuff to make that all work.
4. Finally, as of tomorrow there will be an EGR block off kit coming!!!!!!!! Yippee!!!!!!!!
Yep, Alligator has them finally. Give Holton Guyton there a yell and he'll get one for you as well!
I guess there was a reason I was waiting to install that Alligator down pipe! I would have had to remove it anyway to pull off the EGR junk!

Quote:
"Why did you decide to go with the edge cts? Thought you were more of a gauges type guy? Just curious".

You know, I was thinking of the multi tasking ability of that unit. If it takes video input, then a simple rotary switch could use the same screen to select from multiple cameras, perhaps even a remote wireless one!
I flew aircraft with steam gages and with tv's. Have to admit I like the technology mo-better......

......I'll know more PDQ on this EGR thing.
Talked to Holton just now. He is sending me a complete kit with which I will remove both coolers, reroute the coolant lines, and will include a new up-pipe to make the job easier??? Holton wants everyone to see what comes with the whole kit so that's why I'll be doing the complete removal.

On the Deavers, here's what we just found out:
The LML springs are in fact not available. They are, however, in testing at this very moment. That is a complex process as I have been informed and could be nearing completion or mid stream. I do not know that. I was told I could expect an ETA of my springs by mid week. Now that word might be that the springs will be available in 6 months, or it might be that they are enroute. I am at their will at the moment, and that's OK
So everyone is up to date on this next phase of project "who knows what's happening!"
Stay tuned for updates!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 04, 2014, 10:05:09 PM »
OK boys and girls, time to fire up the mods again and stoke the fires a little more.
This time I will install an Edge CTS with an EGT probe.
Overall this is a pretty simple task by comparision to much of the other stuff I have done as of late.
It is a bit tedious when you're routing the cables and drilling the exhaust manifold. But, just lean into it and you'll get it done just fine.

I decided to install the dash pod to make the installation more of a permanent addition. Here is what I purchased, again from Alligator with the help of Holton.

The gage pod came in a natural gray color which I painted with my favorite John Deere Blitz black a day or two ago.
The first step is to gain access to the right side of the engine with the removal of the right fender splash guard

All nice and stock for now, but that my friends will change!

I selected a spot, then center punched and drilled it with a 5/16" bit

The manifold is a pretty thin wall casting which was easy to tap with a 1/8" tapered pipe thread tap

The fitting was installed and tightened, but not over tightened.

Next the EGT bi-metal probe was inserted carefully with the aid of some spray lubricant

Having read of the mysterious sound created by the vibrating cable I isolated that sucker with a clever trick one of my crew chiefs taught me many moons ago.
First you cut a short section of hose. 3/8" fuel line works fine.
You then wrap a zip tie around the stationary mount object and thread the two ends through the hose section. Now simply zip the loose ends around your cable and voila' (French word again) you have an isolation mount!
Here's a quick demo of what I did on the truck:

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:03:53 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 06, 2014, 09:37:36 PM »
And here it is on the truck:

Next I did something else and here's a picture:

routed the cable through the rubber gasket surrounding the steering corner at the north west position.
That cable was secured under the dash and up through the side of the dash with the fuse box access removed.
THen it was time to fit the pod to the dash. I used tape to mark it's final resting place and where the tabs would be glued in place.

With the dash washed several times with prep-sol and alcohol, it was time to permanize the pod. (That's Don speak, means stick the thing on for good)

With the pod in place I stuck the CTS in for a test fit
So far, so good!

Rutt-Row,
No pic of the CTS, what happened to the darned thing?
Well, here's another pic, stare at it while I go figure out what happened to the other pic.

OK, couldn't find it must have deleted it. Funny, I did that without being under the influence of coffee!
OK, so here it is going together for the final time:

And here's the thing with a stream of really fast excited electrons (electricity) being applied.
We pilots can appreciate all the pretty colors. Now I have more stuff to stare at and distract me from the task at hand, just like flying!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 12:09:29 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: November 06, 2014, 09:45:17 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by G****** D****
"Thought of something you might like and it is not an expensive mod. I added all of the Retro Solutions LED lights for my interior (front map lights and dome lights) as well as the 5 watt reverse lights. It's like having your headlights on in reverse. I can see backing up my driveway at night and have 155 window tint.

Just a thought for you. "

I'll look into it!
Danka! ......

Quote:
"The back up lights are a definite help over the factory lights. Love mine. I'm not so sure you will want the interior lights though. I have them and they are crazy bright. Wont go well with the NVG's you're planning on running." 

Well, I won't use nods all the time, just when I need them.
Wierd thing about those devices, They can't see blue green light. If those bulbs could be tuned to that frequency, then on a dimmer they would give low illumination to the areas you wanted to see looking under the nods, and not reflect off the windshield at all.
Now, conversly even a tiny bit of red light will wipe you out. THat light will put such a glare on the windshield that you can't see anything!

.......Oh, and an update on pieces parts:
Holton out at Alligator has shipped the EGR delete kit, it's enroute.
I will be eliminating the coolers, up-pipe, EGR motor and who knows what else. THat should clean up things nicely making it more ready for the twins...there I go day dreaming again.
I am also going to replace that downpipe, so everyone can anticipate more accident prone injury inducing parts changing for the better. I think I'll set aside 2 days for that one!
Finally, the initial data I am getting from the Edge CTS is about what I expected except that the EGT's aren't as high as I suspected. Today under a short full throttle 3 second stab, the motor hit 922F and 20 something psi boost. It all seems low, but I'm not sure the thing is actually reading the probe I installed.
I think I will follow the advice of several members now and make double sure my device is updated on the computer while linked to the fusion software.

.......I went to the site and looked at the back up lights. I can't find them. If I'm correct I need a replacement for a 3047 bulb but I'm not finding that number for the B/U's
I'm betting I have that number wrong, what part number or factory bulb are you showing? .....

.......Quote:
Originally Posted by G****** D****** 
"Bulb # 3156 is what you will need. Here is a link to the thread. It has the number in the first post. There is also a link to the Sylvania site in this thread that talks about part numbers for other bulbs. I haven't looked, but wouldn't be surprised at all if you could get different colored interior lights.

My map lights and dome lights are 212-2 and I got the 6 led version instead of the the 3. Works great and very clean light. I also put the 194 license plate bulbs in. That may not be the effect you are going for though. I just figured when I replaced mine, I would do them all and get the cleanest light I could. Love it on mine, but they are bright.

Super Bright LED Reverse Bulbs! "

Thanks for the info!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:50:38 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2014, 09:59:36 PM »
Thanks to you for the idea, and to you and Ashley for the links. (He sent me links to everything as well!)

OK, so I ordered the LED back up bulbs with the radial illumination option.
I also ordered the 6 LED dome light
Additionally I ordered the low beam 55w HID replacement headlights and the wiring harness to bring voltage directly from the battery and skip the headlight harness.
Everything pictured increases vision, can you tell which one is different?
Should be a nice little one day mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by G*******D******
"If you decide to change out the map light festoons, it will be the same bulb as well. Look forward to hearing how you like the HID lights. I have been curious on those as well. I thought about the 6000K for my low beams only. However I was looking at the 35 watt kits. What did you like about the 55 watt versus the 35 watt? I worried that it may melt the housing. I haven't ordered mine yet, as I have a few other things on the table first I must get."

I retrofitted 35w HIDs to an earlier truck. 55W is a new technology and mo-better. There is no significant temp increase going to HID's over Halogens. In fact, the halogens put out a lot more (volume of) heat. HID's are using less amperage so other than out right positioning, I can not see how they could add any heat, in fact I believe the opposite is actually true.

The only advantage I see to using the 35W kit is less money

Those dome light kits include 2 bulbs, so I may very well stick one of the bulbs into my map light. I will use them in the back end when ever I decide what I am going to put back there (camper shell).

Quote:
Originally Posted by r********** 
"Don, i'm looking forward to what you think of having the HID's in a stock housing. I have been holding off just because i don't want to be blinding people all the time and i usually don't need the extra light. Although it would be nice everyonce in awhile lol "

Admittedly, it is of some concern to me, but most people these days drive jap or Korean cars, so I don't feel so bad about it after all.
Funny, but even now I get the folks approaching me flipping on their high beams while I'm cruising on my lows, so the practical difference approaches zero!

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 10:01:15 PM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2014, 10:05:22 PM »
Man, you guys were having a party on my thread last night! Sorry I missed it. As for the sleep, plenty of time to do that when you're dead. As for the tallieban, well, in a crazy way I'd like to be out there chasing them across those hills. Mostly though I just turned a lot of jet gas into noise and wind. Now I do miss just flying along and for no reason at all, shouldering the M4 and squeezing off a few bursts just to see if I could hit a rock or something doing 130 knots at 1000 feet. Funny but at that speed and altitude you have to aim something like 20 feet or more behind your target, not in front of it as with bird hunting. Did I ever tell you guys about the day I was messing with a gunner over this lake in Iraq?

Funny as all get out.
He was new, his first flight with this battle hardened group of airborne warriors. Well north of Baghdad on this training mission we threw a blue 5 gallon plastic drum into the water to serve as a target. flying along at 300 feet at about 60 knots in a slow pass by the target I watched him squeeze off a few shots which were hitting past the target a few feet.
On the next pass the rounds were on target...he had figured out that he needed to aim behind the target since it was stationary and we were moving.
So on the next turn I increased the speed to around 90. Again I watched as the rounds splashed past the drum again. I knew I had him when he muttered a curse word over the intercom and I saw him sling the empty magazine out into space!
The next run he had made the adjustment and again the rounds were on target...cool, and I knew I had a big fish on the line, time for some fun.
The next run I slowly crept up to about 105 knots and increased my altitude to about 500 feet. Once again the bullets splashed a good 5-10 feet past the target and this time I get a good "" over the intercom. That's when I start piping in, "Yo dude, what's up, you're not consistient, now let's see some rounds on target!" I get a "Sure, I'm trying, I don't understand what's happening!" I reply, "Well I do, you claim you were once a good gun, but today you suck, that's what I understand!" I have to cover my mic so he can't hear me laughing!
So on the next run I approach at 90 knots at about 300 feet and as he is shooting I bump to 500 feet and slow to about 60 knots. Watching his shot group, I'd say the only safe spot down there was in the immediate vicinity of the drum! He got mad and threw his empty mag down at the drum. I quickly interjected, "Hmmm, best shot so far and you didn't use your rifle."
This was when the other pilot figured out what I was doing and started in as well. "You know don, with this guy, maybe we should just issue him a box of rocks, seems he's better with them than the weapon!" THen I ask a question." Say dude, you were in the military, right?" That was answered with a deafening silence.
THat day was day one of new gunner try out. Most of these guys were ex-rangers, SF and Seals. THey knew their stuff. Another Night Stalker was flying in the left seat with me, and these guys had worked with us in the green machine. They wouldn't dare say anything to us, knowing our history (Which is somewhat fable, somewhat folk lore, and somewhat true).
You see, the thing we had to do is to see which one of these knuckleheads would be able to seamlessly integrate into the flight crew and which ones were Rambo's. THe latter does not work. So in Special Operations fashion, we were psychologically loading him up and seeing if he would give up.
THis one was a bit angry but he never gave up. Later on I and others would spend hours with him teaching him how to drive tacks from 300 feet while in a break over a target, but for now, I just wanted to see if I wanted to go "downtown" with this guy.
THe next maneuver was a killer. We would fly directly over the target at 1,500 feet then do a crazy sprilling dive over and around it. We would purposly take the aircraft way out of trim so that the wind blast would be right in his face instead of streamlining past. The bank angle was crazy, so I had to fly while looking over my shoulder so that he wouldn't perforate my rotor blades. As we entered this death spiril I heard the guy open up with controlled single shots. I steepened the dive into something I'm sure he had never seen and frankly only a very few helicopters could safely do. But in our mighty little bird, well, just move the stick. If you can stand it, so can the machine. At the bottom after a couple sickening turns, he had reloaded and as he started a mag dump, I did a hard pull out and the rotor blades bit hard. The "G's" built but he kept shooting. Then his stomach also did a dump. Admist the fierse flapping of those poor abused blades, the screaming engine, the crushing push in the seat and the snap roll to the opposite side this guy was puking all over himself, his weapon, and my aircraft and still pouring out fire on that blue drum.
Did we hire him? Darn right we did. When we came back, I landed at Liberty LZ right next to the US embassy near a garden hose. I told him to wash himself and the aircraft off, slapped him on the back and welcomed him to our crew. I wasn't the guy doing the hiring, but after all that, I knew this gunner was a keeper.
BTW, that rant was all coffee inspired...On this Yuban kick lately. THat stuff gets ya goin'

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2014, 10:13:51 PM »
 have a quickie little project to post up before the useless and irrevalent chatter proceeds!
As we all know I am preparing to perform an EGR delete and down pipe installation on the tactical chevy, which now and forever more will be known as the Survival based tactical urban area disturbance avoidance vehicle, or simply as, "My truck."
Holton supplied me with a simple device used to block off the hole when one turns that turbo resonator into a frisbee. I have just discovered the thing is not aerodynamically efficient as it flies in a crooked parabolic flight path over a relatively short distance although a great amount of power has been used. In that sense it would be much like an Army Black Hawk.
Anyway, here is the little gem of a part in all it's glory:

And the part it will soon replace:

Three bolts later, 2-10mm and one 13mm and this is what you're looking at:

The block off is a high quality machined aluminum piece which is held securely by two allen head screws.
This one part removes the transonic inversion pulse which immediately adds 26 horsepower and 55 ft/lbs and 1.5 mpg. It removes approximately 86 pounds off the front axle which now allows the truck to corner in excess of 1 G!
Well, actually none of the second paragraph is true, but don't you wish it was!
What it does do is essentially nothing except to get rid of that boxy top hat thing and make it easier for me to take it all apart in the near future. OK, on to the next thing....

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »
Sticking the HID's in at the moment...
Darned company didn't send me any instructions, have to hunt the net for some. Who knows, might have a good fire before the night's over!......

.....Success!
No fires, smoke, leaks, minor loss of blood and skin, but all in all the HID's fired up instantly!
OK so for today we will discuss the installation of 55W high performance super duper HID headlight replacement. Then after all that you'll see LED tail lights and dome lights going in.
I ordered all of this stuff on some of your recomendations, and I'd have to say, am quite pleased with the cost, quality, bang for the buck, and ease of installation.
Here's what I purchased from RetroLighting.com:

Unknowingly, I purchased a wiring harness without realizing one already came supplied with the 55W HID's. THe harness allows you to pull voltage directly from the batteries.
I decided to remove the radiator bulkhead cover and the front grill. The use of these 90 degree needle nose makes the front grill removal a snap!

The headlight assemblies are held in place with 3-10mm bolts shown here:

With the headlight assembly loose, wiggle it forward and out, then remove the top lamp which is the low beam, assuming that is the bulb you are replacing.
The HID bulb is taller and thinner and enclosed within a plastic shipping container.

The HID bulb is simply pushed and turned back into place. Next you will have to start hooking up the harness and the ballast after it is mounted.

I mounted the ballasts to the core support gussets at the north east and north west corners. I secured them with a couple of stainless screws and nylon lock nuts .

With the ballasts securely mounted, I drilled another hole, then sanded the area around it and bolted my ground wire to the stud. I did that for each ballast. There are a few connections to make and they are not idiot proof, so pay attention. I got lucky and got it right on the first attempt. ONce everything is plugged together, I taped the exposed unused plug, zip tied everything securely and zip tied the right headlight harness under the radiator guard as shown.

A simple turn of the headlight knob produced these results
These are HID's in the 6000K heat range which produces a cool white light with just a hint of blue, much the same as my driving lights.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »
All righty, on to the next project. This is the simple installation of interior 6 bulb LED dome/map lights.
Here's what they look like:

The cloth is my old flight suit left sleeve full of bullet holes!
Well, not really, it's a paper shop towel!
The lens pry's out from the bottom, lower point.

Taking care not to touch to "bulb" after you take the stockers out and throw them at your dog, simply press in the new LED's and replace the lens, that's it...Super simple

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2014, 10:32:22 PM »
OK, now for the back up lights.
We will be installing LED's with both rear focusing light and radial illumination into the stock location.
Here's the new LED's:

Two screws are all that hold the tail light lens assembly in place. Remove them, then with the lens balanced precariously on the lip, pull out the stock bulb.

Old and new side by side

Now reverse the procedure

And here you go. a mini rear defense photon torpedo!

....Just finished my night drive. THise 55W HIDs are amazing. 6000K is the perfect temp as well. Very clear clean crisp white light. Good cutoff as well. An approaching driver will have to get pretty close, probably less than 50 feet before the light might cause problems. No one at all flashed their lights at me, and oddly enough I was getting flashed when driving with my stock halogens!
The back up lights are many times more light output than what I had based on overall scene illumination. Those are the overall best bargain of the day for less than $16 and that much extra light.
The interior dome light is overkill. Definitely no areas not brightly lit when those map lights are on.
All in all, this was a great mod. I think I'll go farther and install the LED's in the bed illumination light and maybe add some to the underhood and in some other places....

Quote:
Originally Posted by f*******
"I'm assuming you mean Retro-Solutions.net, as retrolighting.com isn't a site?

Also, I'm searching what I presume to be the place you got these from. I'm guessing either you got a deal or swapped the price of the festoon bulbs and the backup LEDs, because the listed price is $40, not $16. What am I missing? For $16, it's a no-brainer."

Wow, I got that one all turned around!
You're correct on just about everything
The company is Retro solutions
The back up bulbs are $39.99
The dome lights are $11.99

I Stand corrected!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2014, 10:34:10 PM »
Quote:
"Don, few questions...

Why did you not go ahead and swap out the high beams to HID as well?

What about the turn lamps also? Did they offer those?

After all the work of tearing out the front end and getting in there, wouldnt it be easier to just do a full replacement? "

Good questions Ashley, I'll ask Don and see if he is here today.
Ah, yup, I'm here!
OK about the high beams: The HID's broadcast a yellowish light. I already have HID driving lights wired into that same circut. So, in my truck, when I switch up to highs, I actually have 4 lights burning, two halogen with the yellowish tint, and two HID's in cool white to slightly blue. A scene is best illuminated by a multitude of colors blended together as in "natural sunlight". So by retaining the halogens I get some yellow , and white, and with the HID's, white to blue. Different objects in the observable scene react differently to different colors of light so I actually get to see a tad bit more of what I'm looking at.

The turn signals are offered in LED as well, but I see no purpose. THey do not provide light to illuminate the scene, simply a blinking light source to signal your intentions. THe amperage draw of the stock bulb is intermittient, and my electrical circuts are not taxed so no advantage there. Finally LED's would cost a lot and again not make any difference as the stock turn signals show up fine. If you were working with something like a 67 VW beetle with 2" tail lamp lenses, the something much brighter would perhaps be worth it, but not with our well designed trucks.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2014, 10:36:49 PM »
I actually did another install yesterday, given the ease of the lights. I'll post that one up in a day or so.
I built some cool work platforms that hug the tires of the truck and have you standing about beltline to top of fender. I built them with a 15 degree splayed leg setup so they would be super stable. I figure with the way I'm banging myself up lately, I needed to incorporate a little safety into the follow on projects. We seem to be digging deeper and deeper into this build. Not long before I'll be doing stuff inside the frame at this rate! You know, come to think of it, inside the frame would be a good place to store some more fuel...hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higher Caliber
"What are your plans for mounting your spare or spare*s*?"

That is going to be one cool project!
It all hinges on the Road Armor bumper build.
I have been in contact with the folks down there and our bumper is actually going to be built today for the first time. Yep, today. It won't be long before I have it and bolt it up.
They know what I plan to do with it and are good with it.
I am going to build a swing away rear tire carrier. I plan to mount the spare up high along with a fuel can and water can rack. I am going to support all that weight on that excellent road armor piece. Again, we have discussed how much weight I am hanging off the bumper and from where and the engineer there feels it will be GTG. I will probably get a tiny bit anal and reinforce it even more.
Now There is a problem with the carrier.
I don't know exactly where to position it.
You see, if I add the tactical topper project onto the truck, I can build it in close to the tailgate.
However if I decide to add a larger camper, the collapsible roof type, then I might have to space it out aft a tad bit to accomodate. I am still considering plans to upgrade to a unit where I could go anywhere off grid for awhile and hunker down while all of you figure out who survives and who goes on to, well, just goes on!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 08, 2014, 10:25:06 PM »
Quote:
........"Now I need to see this mod that I inspired Don, That way I can rip mine out and re-do it the right way! "

All right I'll post it up
Inspired by the good thinking of Mr. Higher Caliber, I had been carrying the flashlight and extra mag in the console. He, however had a great idea, so I just moved the location somewhat and added it as well. So with full credit going to it's rightful owner and acknowledging that I DID SHAMELESSLY COPY HIS IDEA, here goes:

Using some old duty magazine holders, I cut off the tops and drilled 6 holes into the backing, then installed 6 sheet metal screws

I'm using the exact same concept because it is a good one and we both apparently roll the same way. I will be keeping a spare 15 shot Glock 19 magazine and a surefire flashlight in this holder

I differ from the earlier installation only in location and with regard to the type of pouch. Not sure but The one I used may be an "Uncle MIke" double glock mag belt pouch. I never wore all that crap on a belt, mine was always MOLLEE installed in my vest somewhere so this sucker survived in good shape from the Baghdad and Kandahar days.
Here's where it will be going:

Actually after I thought about it some It would work better if I angled it toward me, so that is what I ended up doing.
TO install the pouch(s), I first removed the plastic trim piece from under the console lid:

Then by laying the plastic piece on the bench and press firmly, I screwed in the 6 sheet metal screws. Afterward, using forces approximating subducting continents, I cut off the screws nearly flush with wire cutters.

When I closed the lid, I realized there is a reason we measure twice and cut once. The pouch interfered a little bit at one corner with the console, so I trimmed it to fit and reinstalled the trim to the console lid.

Nothing really to see here, other than showing that the lid actually closes once again

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:22:12 AM by KensAuto »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 08, 2014, 10:29:17 PM »
Have a lot os stuff on the burner at the moment.
Thinking about the build, this group, and still writing the second book. Wrote all morning...fingers are putty!
Anyone want to read some of the junk from book #2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G*****D******
"Always up for some of your writing. Have enjoyed everything you have written so far."

OK, here's a little something.
Happened many moons ago...
If you read my book, you know it jumps around a bunch but is mostly about stuff that happens in the last two wars.
One of my publishers asked me to write a bio sort of thing. Keeping it all in order, so that's what book #2 is all about. I write something for it almost every day. THis is from today:

The training to become a night stalker was pretty intense. There was PT all the time, running then weight lifting, more running and some more weight lifting. Back in those days there wasn’t a formal system of training yet so a new guy like me just reported to the hangar and started training with the instructor pilots. I worked with some good ones. Al Wilson wasn’t much older than me, but had a lot of experience in the Chinook which I had only just learned how to fly. Then there was Eddie Hill a slow talking Louisiana boy who wasn’t a boy at all. Finally there was John who was our senior instructor pilot. He was all business and operated from the premise that with everything we do we need to strive for perfection. Landing a foot right of centerline on an emergency running landing on a runway was not satisfactory, on center was. I don’t think there was much distance between satisfactory and perfect with John. The thing was, that on any day, he could back it up with performance. He wasn’t one who couldn’t walk the walk, no sir, he set the pace.
I would alternate between the IP’s as they flew me nightly in our modified Chinooks, teaching me mission tasks. You see training in the Army is broken down into levels. Obviously the first step would be the actual aircraft qualification which in most cases took place at Ft. Rucker, Alabama. That’s where I had learned to fly those leaky, starving for love orange paneled Chinooks. Once I had qualified but not yet mastered the tasks they required of me, I was released to my next unit. The Night stalkers would first assess my abilities to see where I fell in the proficiency ladder. In my case all that was pre determined as I had been a former Aeroscout pilot and knew nothing of the Chinook or how to operate it. Additionally, I had never flown the Chinook in a regular Army unit like the 101st Airborne for example, to get some time under my belt with the airframe. Nope, I was skipping college and going straight for my masters directly from high school. I didn’t only have to learn to become a proficient Chinook pilot hauling sling loads and flying assaults, but I had to learn special mission tasks as well.
That’s where the rubber meets the road with the 160th. Everything they do is special. Almost nothing is normal. Whereas my newly qualified Chinook pilot brothers in the 101st were honing their skills hooking up sling loads in dusty LZ’s, I was learning aft wheel landings on buildings, and fast rope approaches and a host of other things. All of that required quite a bit of practice, hence all the flight training I was currently receiving.
On this fateful night I would be flying with Eddie Hill. It would be a good flight. Eddie almost never became flustered when a newbie like me fudged up something. He would just show you the error of your ways and send you along to do it again. We were going out to a place called “Golden Eagle” which was a cleared off area on the south side of Fort Campbell. He wanted me to practice hooking up and carrying heavy sling loads and there was a doozey sitting there. The 101st had rigged up an old M114 armored personnel carrier with cables which a crew in training could hook onto and fly around with. It was a big load which was quite heavy. At that particular point in time our unit was flying an odd assortment of Chinooks. The Army had cobbled together several modified CH-47C Chinooks, but added all sorts of miss-matched parts to improve performance, albeit at the cost of longevity. Our company of around 16 Chinooks was constantly wearing out airframes and requiring new aircraft. As a consequence, we had quite a few of the newer unmodified CH-47D’s and some of those were also being modified in various places around the country while we tried to figure out what a heavy lift Special Operations helicopter was going to look like.
Eddie and I arrived at LZ Golden Eagle, landing beside the M114 which was sitting in a field of shoulder high weeds. Lowering the ramp, the flight engineer scrambled off to check out the load rigging and prepare it for us to lift. I busied myself with the various performance calculations to determine if we actually had the power to lift the load. The numbers came in close, but we could do it. We would only be in danger for a short time immediately after takeoff and prior to landing where we would not have single engine capability. All that meant was that if the engines so much as hiccupped during those times, myself, Eddie, or the crew chief watching the load would quickly create some very expensive air mail.
I briefed procedure to Eddie’s satisfaction and we hovered over the load for a short time while the crew hooked it up. This is a very nervous and high concentration time. The pilot is maneuvering a 50,000 pound aircraft which is effectively 100 feet long making very small movements in response to the crew chief’s directives. “down two, right one, hold what you got, your drifting right, come back left two, hold your up, you’re centered over the load, hold your drift, hold position, clevis is in hand, clevis is on the hook, you are cleared to come up, bring it straight up fifteen, ten, five, four, three, two, one, slings coming tight, slings tight, bring it up ten.”
All of that is very intense. When the guys are calling that load they have a 100+ pound sling in their hands. They are hanging out of a hole in the belly and any sudden move in your part will immediately cause a heinous injury to them. Then after the load is all hooked up and as you bring it up, you can take a breath because they are out of harm’s way for the most part. When the slings come tight the Chinook magic starts to happen. That darned thing comes to life and shows the world why it is such a magnificent aircraft. Now you have 8 tons coming to bear on the airframe and those engines and rotor blades. A Chinook hovers at about 40% of its available power. The Hueys and scout helicopters hovered in the 80% range! This CH-47 was one powerful machine. Increasing power the engines started to roar as the gas producer section spun way up to produce all the extra power. Coming out of the back of those motors was a spectacle of surging hot gasses, fire, sparks, burned vegetation and small animal parts. Viewing it through the night vision goggles, it looks like a small crack had opened to the interior workings of the molten planet’s core.
The thing was that the aircraft could actually do it. We were hovering at some eighty feet not moving, just hovering with 16,000+ pounds of cargo hanging from our belly. H O O A H! that is a cool feeling! I did a takeoff check and pushed the cyclic forward. The giant beast tilted nose down and crept forward and almost instantly started to accelerate rapidly. In seconds I was a 70 knots indicated. We weren’t going to climb, but fly a low level route. So with the load flying maybe twenty feet above the trees, we left the cargo hook in the armed position just in case the engine quit or exploded as they sometimes do and we flew away across the reservation.
Had we been paying attention we might have noticed that the 101st was also playing that night. They were out on a FTX (field training exercise) in about the same place we were. At one point along our route they had also set up a headquarters section replete with all the stuff headquarters sections need, like communications. Now when you are sitting under a bunch of trees you can try to transmit through all those trees which doesn’t always work, or just stick up an antenna. This headquarters section being just like every other one that has ever existed chose option number two. At that time the Army was integrating a new quick erecting radio mast called a 292 (Two niner two) antenna. To make sure no aircraft flew into the thing they had affixed some green chem. Lights to the parts that stuck above the trees. The thing about green chem. Lights is that although they are very visible to the naked eye, they are completely invisible when viewed through Night Vision Goggles.
Some folks on the ground heard our mighty Chinook approaching so were looking up as you would expect when we smashed into the tower, raining tower parts all over the ground. From inside the aircraft I felt nothing at all. The flight engineer, a seasoned sergeant said over the intercom, “I just saw sparks coming off the load.” “Sparks, what’s up with that Eddie?” I moved my pinky over the cargo hook release switch not knowing what was going on. In his soothing southern voice, he said, “It’s just the clevis moving around on the hook up points, happens all the time.” Eddie always had the right answer! As the ground fell away, I dove forward down a ravine as we continued on our training flight.
The rest of the night went pretty well. Eddie made me do several approaches and landings with the load, then pick it back up and accelerate back to forward flight. Satisfied that he had accomplished the training objectives, we set the load back into LZ Golden Eagle and flew back to the airfield, parked and shut the thing down. There seemed to be a lot of helicopters flying all over to the south west, seemingly combing the forests there, probably just some 101st field training thing. I gathered up the goggles, my helmet, vest and other junk and headed off to operations to turn it all in. We walked into a beehive of activity. Standing at the counter, I handed the goggles over while a specialist grabbed them then went back to what seemed like an important phone call. Something was up so I asked. Mostly the guys would just tell me it was none of my concern and not answer, but the specialist covered the mouth piece and said “A Chinook is down!”
Holy crap a Chinook has crashed, wow, that’s terrible I thought! “Where?” I inquired. He stabbed a finger at the map then made a circle gesture. Looking at Eddie who was showing grave concern I said “Heck man, that’s where we were!” He said “yea” slowly while rubbing across his chin with his free hand.
“What happened?” I continued. The phone call had ended so the specialist gave us the run down. A Chinook ran into a tower about here and was seen going down about here. “Dam Eddie, wasn’t that where we were?” “You were there?” asked the specialist as suddenly everyone in operations started to look toward us stopping what they were doing. I heard the Captain say, “Hold on, I think we know something,” as he covered the mouthpiece. “Exactly when were you there, and what were you doing?” Eddie was rubbing his chin a little faster and starting to look up and around. “Sir, about 2200, we were carrying that M114 sling load,” I responded. The sergeants were now standing there also and Williams slapped his forehead and looked at Eddie then me. I hadn’t figured out what was going on, but everyone else was starting to.
“Sparks,” Williams said, “I saw the sparks.” Captain bellows asked, “Sparks?” Williams now with his head turned away from Eddie and I in disgust and peering out a window which was actually painted black to prevent exactly that. “We did it, we knocked down the Freaking tower. New guy here flew right in to it and knocked it down, that’s where the sparks came from. I bet if you go out to that sling load, you’ll find antenna parts sticking in it.” Captain Bellows looked at Eddie who had stopped rubbing his chin and was slowly nodding up and down. Bellows walked back to his desk, picked up the dormant phone and said, “Sir, it looks like it was one of our birds. No sir, no one is injured. No sir the aircraft is OK. Yes sir, yes sir, yes sir, I will, I apologize, OK, sir I will.” Looking at us with a beet red face, he told us to go the the hospital and give blood and urine samples. We had just been involved in an aircraft accident and an investigation would be ensuing.
“Whew, Eddie, is this how Night Stalker training goes?” It was not the correct thing to have said. At that moment I was reminded that I was a lowly CW2, where as Eddie was a veteran CW4 used to biting the heads off rusty nails and inquisitive CW2’s. It was not a good night!

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 08, 2014, 10:32:33 PM »
Quote:
Originally Posted by D********
"Great read... Next chapter? "

Not chapter, but story. here it is:

Finally out of training it wasn’t long before I started flying actual missions as a BMQ (basic mission qualified) co-pilot. Eager to get me on the schedule more to give relief to some of his pilots who were being over worked, than to give me actual experience I would fly a ten day training support mission in Florida for some of our Navy friends. They trained all the time the same as we did and had a team wanting to play in the Eglin Air Force Base ranges.

I would be flying with an experienced crew in a new CH-47D Chinook under the command of a Vietnam veteran, a CW4. I have to switch up the names so I’ll try to find suitable ones, however you guys actually in these stories know who you were. OK, so let’s call this guy “Bill.” To the real you, I hope you approve, and I do this out of respect for your privacy.

Bill had been in the 160th since the day it formed from a single CH-47 company in the 101st. I believe at that time we were still technically a part of the 101st Airborne as we were yet to be assigned to and come under the direct command of 1st SOCOM, or First Special Operations Command. In my earliest days in the 160th we sewed 101st screaming eagle patches to the left shoulder of our dress greens and maybe our BDU’s (Battle dress uniform) but to be honest changes were coming fast and I am not 100% sure of that.
Anyway A company of the 159th Aviation Regiment kept its name from the days it was created in Vietnam, the “Pachyderms.” I’m sure about that, because someone way back then had some Vietnamese carve a pachyderm head bust out of a chunk of very dense and heavy teak wood. That sculpture adorned the desk of the company commander of the pachyderms and on occasion would actually be hand carried on the morning PT three to four mile runs. Ask me how I know about that!

Outside the door of the barracks building where the company also had its headquarters offices was a woven rubber welcome mat that didn’t say “welcome”. On it instead was emblazoned the phrase “Pachyderms, tougher than woodpecker lips!” That simple phrase often haunted me. I realized wood peckers don’t actually have lips, but I used to speculate about just how hard their beaks might be. Then I’d get to thinking if it was possible for a wood pecker to suffer from a concussion from all that pecking? That led me to think about how their brains might actually be suspended within their skulls? Perhaps by elastic chords, or in a vicious liquid, I mean how exactly did all that work? Weird, but I’m thinking about it right now!

OK, back to the mission, navy guys, training, OK, here we go. We were to meet up with this team of navy surfer dudes at Hulbert field, home of Air Force Special Operations. It is located along the scenic Florida coast right beside Destin and Panama city. I was going to have some fun finally. I was dreaming of flying, and getting some beach time in, it was going to be good!

We packed up early one morning into our Chinook which was fitted with two 600 gallon internal fuel tanks. With all that gas, we would be able to take off from Ft. Campbell and fly all the way to Florida, nonstop. We did so during the morning and into the early afternoon cruising across the US of A at 300 to 500 feet along a predetermined route which we followed exactly.

Arriving there we parked the aircraft on the hazardous cargo ramp at Hulbert, found our Buick Regal rental car, packed up our personal belongings and headed off to the hotel. Operations had reserved us rooms at the Howard Johnsons, or Ho-Jo’s. As we carried our bags inside I noted Bill as having two duffle bags instead of my single bag. I nodded toward the heavier and bulkier second bag and Bill said “It’s my “B” bag.” Oh, B-bag hugh, I hadn’t brought any B, C or D or any other letter bag. I guess I missed that one during training. “Bill, what’s a “B” bag?” “Tell me you didn’t bring one? You don’t have it with you? What if we get deployed from here? Dammed new guys!” Hmmm seemed I hadn’t learned my lesson yet, note to self: Do not speak until having first been spoken to!
We checked in, Bill and I got single rooms, but the two crew chiefs were rooming together. They dumped their bags and disappeared. Bill told me to come to his room after I settled in. I assumed it was for the butt chewing to continue, and I was correct.
The room was cheesy, sorry, Mr. Ho-Jo. I stuffed my clothing into some drawers and in the closet and went next door and knocked. “Enter” so I did.

Bill was dressed in what I would describe as a black Ninja suit! I was a bit surprised, not knowing what to think of these Night Stalkers yet, a group which I considered myself a part of only by the thinnest of threads. “B” bag, it’s what you need if we get deployed to go to war. You carry it with you whenever you go somewhere. Has your weapon, ammo, uniforms, stuff like that.” “Weapon? I asked. Surely I shouldn’t have missed that, I was supposed to bring a weapon? “You don’t have a weapon?” “Err, no, no one told me.” “No one told you that you are supposed to buy your weapons and carry them with you?” “Err, no, I have to buy a weapon, what kind?” Bill flipped open the bag and handed me both halves of a Car-15 assault rifle which I stared at dumbfounded. “And one of these,” he dug a little deeper and pulled out a modified .45 automatic pistol. To my mounting surprise I watched him pull out a drop leg holster, put it on and drop the .45 into it. He then picked up the Car-15 which I had laid on the bed and fitted it together snapping the two pins home. He threw the weapon over his shoulder and adjusted it to cross to one side with the muzzle down and the butt stock sticking out beside his ear.

These night stalker dudes are one weird lot, I was thinking as he donned a black hood. Yep, ninja, that’s the look he was going for. OK, for those of you who think this is a fantastic fabrication, well only the second part of that statement is true. This all really happened. Think that’s it? Sorry to disappoint, but this story gets better!

Bill moves over to the window of his second story room at the smallish balcony and railing. My face must have been twisted up in one of those “what the heck” expressions as he slowly opened the sliding door. I noted it opened with a rump-rump-rump sound. One of the rollers must have had a flat spot. I watched with utter fascination as he moved out into the early evening light and peered over the aluminum railing. “They’re next door.” “What, who is next door” I inquired somewhat dumbfounded by this unfolding scene. Bill jumped up and over the railing and clung to the outside, with the weapon swinging outward. At that exact moment, as I moved over to lean on the railing, I watched an elderly gentleman in a huge Cadillac pull into the parking spot one floor below where Bill was hanging. I could see that the gentleman was looking up through his windshield at the ninja hanging on the side of the building. I saw him place the gear shift back into reverse and watched him back out and leave. Good move I thought.

“Go knock on their door.” I focused back to the crazy conversation Bill and I was having. “The crew chiefs, they are rooming next door. Knock on the door, and when they answer it, I’ll come in from the balcony.” What, are you serious, you want to attack the crew chiefs?” “Not attack them, just give them a good scare.”

Since I was a new guy and no one felt compelled to talk to new guys, of course no one had briefed me on the antics of brother Bill here. But I would later learn plenty. I later found out that he often did this and on one occasion had interrupted a crew chief and a local girl in the middle of the throws of passion! But this was now, I didn’t know, so I just went along with it. “OK, give me a second” I said as I left.

I gave it about a three count and began knocking. The voice inside asked “Who is it?” “It’s Harward” A moment later the door started to open then I heard a crash and Bill screaming “Down on the floor, get on your face, N O W!” I watched the spectacle. The sergeant at the door was on his face in the entryway to his room as commanded. The other sergeant a more senior staff sergeant was laying flat on the bed with a huge bottle of Jack Daniels resting on his chest, thumb covering the mouth of the bottle. Bill stood over him all ninja’d up pointing that Car-15 carbine at the staff sergeants face. Both sergeants were saying don’t shoot sir, don’t shoot. What I thought was a gag carried a bit too far was actually much more. Bill a veteran from Vietnam with some baggage from that war would lapse into his Huey Cav days back in “the Nam” on occasion and had everyone pretty nervous. Would this the time he might lose it and drill these gooks, err that’s right, crew chiefs full of holes by mistake? That was one of those surreal moments in my early life as a night stalker. These guys were actually really crazy, it wasn’t just rumor!

The next couple days we were supposed to support the surfer dudes doing whatever they wanted. The first morning when we drove back out to the hot cargo pad to meet them, Bill says watch this. He is driving. The crew chiefs are in the back seat and I am in the front, right side. Bill guns it and yanks the steering wheel setting up a power slide on the grass covered white sand. The surfer dudes were standing all alongside the Chinook and are watching our approach. Bill slides the Buick up to about 50 feet from where they are standing, throws open his door and rolls out on the ground opposite of the car from them. The crew chiefs actually looked scared and I just watched in amazement yet again. Bill comes up from behind the left fender with his hands raised as if he is holding a weapon. He makes mock recoil gestures as he goes from surfer dude to surfer dude. All the while this is happening they didn’t budge, not one flinch of any muscle. Hmmm cool customers, these surfer dudes. They still didn’t move at all as Bill walked up to one of them and shook his hand. All of them were wearing Oakley sunglasses just like all of us. No one else on that base wore Oakley’s so we secret agents weren’t all that secret in retrospect.

We made a critical mistake that day. We departed with half of their team, leaving the other half on the ground. I would learn later on,that, that was not a good choice, but hey I was new to these Night Stalkers and surfer dude communities.

The mission was to fly them at altitude over a drop zone and let them jump out of the back. We were up pretty high requiring me to wear an oxygen mask. We flew toward the drop coordinates and was looking at a pretty big thunder storm which appeared to be right over the DZ. Bill called the jump master up into the cockpit pointing out the thunderstorm. The surfer dude told us to fly to the coordinates, then turn the green light on and he and his team would go!
I was actually flying and I think that guy just told Ninja Joe here to fly into a thunder storm! You don’t have to be an officer, a college graduate, a pilot or anything else to know not to fly into thunder storms. It’s one of those things right up there with sticking your face in fire!You know what thunderstorms and hail do to your car sometimes? OK, well, it’s ten times worse on the airplane when flying into one of those things. “Bill you really want to go into that storm? We can’t do that, right?” “I’ve flown Chinooks for a long time, we’ll be OK!” “You sure, are you sure you want to do this?” “Two point five miles.” “What? I asked “”two point three miles, that’s how far to the drop point.” He flipped the red light on and In the mirror I could see the surfer dudes lining up at the back end. I was looking out the windscreen at an impossibly tall wall of violence right in front of us that I couldn’t see into a single foot.

Three, two, one, Wham! We were in and started to be slammed around by all the turbulence going on inside that vertical airborne volcano. “Point three, point two, point one, go, jump, jump jump,” Bill said as he flipped the green light one. Like one big fishing net full of tuna, then just sort of poured out the back end of our aircraft, then they were gone!

Get us out of here, he yelled now directing all his attention to me as a sergeant said, “Jumpers away, aft clear, ramp coming up” I’m sure he was worried about being thrown out the back end. I placed the aircraft in a standard rate left turn, now flying on instruments. In a quick minute (less than a New York minute) we popped out the side of that monstrosity. Bill said circle around. Let’s see if we can see them. Continuing left back toward hell, all I could see was a column of cloud extending from the ground upward a couple of million feet. “Anyone see anything?” Bill asked. “See what sir, a couple of our rotor blades or some of the fuselage that got ripped off?”

“Very funny guys, one four one.” “What, are you talking to me.” I asked as I finished thanking the Lord for just saving my life. “Turn to one four one degrees, your heading back to Hulbert field” Bill said, let’s go back and get the second group. Eglin approach Army copter 2-4-3-4-1 is a single Chinook one four thousand, twenty miles north west inbound for landing Hulbert.” Taking a moment to turn around and look aft, I immediately saw the staff sergeant standing in the narrow companionway and staring at me. We locked eyes for a second. He shook his head side to side and nodded toward Bill. He wasn’t a happy camper. Ditto, neither was I, although being new to the game I was ignorant to the fact that I had been in serious danger. Contrarily, these guys had been living with it for some time.

We flared on the runway near the end and landed. Using a ground taxi minimizes the super strong rotor blast the Chinook produces. We taxied back to the hot cargo pad and shut down. Only one of the surfer dudes was standing there. I overheard the conversation between him and Bill. It seems the team we let off in the middle of that thunder storm had been scattered all over hell and back and had lost most of their equipment. They were not injured, but the guys who had been here had rushed off to try to find and pick them up. That would be it for us for the day’s flying.

After helping the crew chiefs tie down and service the aircraft we grabbed our day bags, mine still containing a sandwich I had made from the breakfast layout, and headed toward the parking lot where the Buick was.

Remember I had mentioned why you never leave your car unattended with half a team of Navy surfer dudes standing around? What we walked up on was not exactly what I’d call a car. Well it was a car in pure terms of mass, weight, approximate shape and the ability to transport people, but only barely. They had jumped up and down on the roof until it was all caved in. They had also smashed in the trunk lid, which no longer worked and the hood. All three depressions were holding water from a thunderstorm which had passed overhead there earlier. The hub caps were kicked in and the grill was missing, we later found that.

Peering inside we discovered that everything that could be quickly removed, had been. We found out later that all those things like door handles, switches, radio, lights and yes, the grill were buried. Buried you ask? Ah yes, after final disassembly of the interior and parts of the exterior, they had placed all the parts inside of the car. Then they had filled the front and back seats of the car about 1/3 of the way up with popcorn!

While taking inventory of the totaled wreck of our rental car, we noticed a few of the surfer dudes standing nearby. All of them were motionless but had the same silly smile which the Oakley’s only partially masked. Not to be beaten, Bill tried to unlock and open the door. That was difficult since the door handles were gone, so one of the sergeants using a screwdriver, wiggled the mechanisms inside the holes where the door handles used to be and got all four doors open. Without saying a word or acknowledging the wreckage at all, Bill climbed in crunching down heavily on the pop corn as he wiggled, or rather burrowed down into the cornels and looked around for the ignition switch. It was hanging out of it’s hole by the wires. Using the skill of a master thief, by holding the cylinder with one hand, he got the key in and cranked the car, which started! Ah, cool, I thought, they left us the engine. While I brushed some corn off the seat and sat in the front seat, my knees came up to about chin height. The popcorn was preventing me from lowering my legs. A couple of Air Force airmen walked by just about then, both starring at the wreckage and at us. One said, “Nice car!” then the other, “Clown car, Barnum and Bailey circus must be in town.”

We all squeezed into the car and Bill drove off, all without saying a word or looking anywhere except for straight forward. We scored big points with the surfer dudes who thought it was cool that we had kept our cool through that little ordeal and had never said a single word about it.

After getting back to the hotel, we went to work removing the pop corn and reinstalling most of the parts. The crew chiefs, thought, that the grill ought to remain in our possession as a trophy and in memory of the event. Bill thought about turning in the car to get a new one, but since we had pushed the roof out far enough to actually use the thing for transportation, we did, He and the Sergeants decided to turn in the car as the last thing we did. That’s what we did a week or so later. By the time we landed back at Campbell, National rental car company had already called reporting that our rental car had been vandalized and was totaled. Captain Bellows wanted to talk about that as well. All in all, a single rental car is not too bad of a price to pay for some good joint Army/surfer dude training wouldn’t you say?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 08, 2014, 10:46:39 PM »
Several of the random posts in this build thread are associated with Don's (published) book "Distant Thunder", and some of his posts are from material he may use in a future book. The following is just one of many positive reviews he received from his fellow interweb friends, better known as DOTS (derailleurs of threads).

This was written by STLASER:
Don, you asked for it so here is my review after sleeping on it for a couple of days.

OK, so I finished Don's first book last weekend. Note: that this is the first book I have started and actually finished (could not put down btw) in the last eight years. As with all of his writing the book was extremely well written and read like us normal gear head types actually converse in a shop type setting. Do not take that statement lightly nor any offense as there was plenty of job specific lingoes & various terminologies that kept me on my toes throughout. This in my opinion was the best part of the book. That being regardless of his larger than life job and career he definitely put the hooks into the average reader so that you desire to know more and more. Which is what any good author should do for a reader and that is to actually tug you thru from one point to the next. I would go as far to say that by the end of his first book you will end up feeling like you were in the jump seat behind him. It really is that well written in my opinion.

Now in order to do my job and be thorough I must also address the negative side of purchasing and reading any of Don's works. My ongoing prevalent thought while reading this book was that I end up with more questions about him than I had prior to reading. But then again if you try to form a friendship with Don the same can be said about him on a personal basis as well. Regardless & as frustrating as it can be, my viewpoint is that for whatever reason it happens it flat out works for him and those of us who are able to experience it in the end are better because of it at least on a personal basis. Regarding his writing I believe it will lead him to selling a lot of books, which as a result will benefit exponentially that many more people. Unless you know him, this last sentence probably did not make alot of sense for that I am sorry.

Oh, and if you’re on a budget forego purchasing this book because I can guarantee it will be habit forming. Seriously, you think he bought two hundred of his own book for nothing? You think he gives us little blurbs of his next book on this thread for no reason? You are all fools; the guy is a master marketing genius. The guy is the like the local crack dealer, give you a taste and you will be back for more. Sorry, if this last part was offending I just shot from the hip Don!  Great Book, God Bless.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 08, 2014, 11:15:14 PM »
Posted by Higher caliber to Don:

Found this the other day and thought you would appreciate it.

Wasn't yours was it?

I wasn't a dustoff guy, but I know of one
Dustoff 35 is a regular reader here but chooses to remain in the background. Considering that catfish lookin blackhawk he flew, I can't blame him. I'd be ashamed too!......

Quote:
"I just saw "helicopter"... You know us play it dumb infantryman... I got it from my bro-in law. He was a medevac guy. His last assignment at Fort Rucker was OIC over an air ambulance unit there. I never realized they flew out for civilians as well! I'm not sure if I had just got ate up in a car wreck if I'd want to see a Vietnam era huey coming for me... unless of course it was playing some CCR over a PA system, and there was a guy hanging out the door with cut off fatigues and a head band sporting a 240. I'd prolly just as soon take the *ground* ambulance."

You know, when the last space age helicopter is put to rest at the bone yard, the flight crew will be picked up and flown to the airport in a Huey!......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustoff 35
"Big Don,

There you go, trash-talking the "Mighty Sikorsky Blackhawk" again... Not good, my friend...

Particularly when one considers your preferred method of rotary-winged-transportation; the Chinook?"

I rest my case:

Where as The chinook is obviously a creation of beauty. Notice the striking similarities! The graceful lines! The understated sophistication! The commanding presence! The not so subtle timeless beauty!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 11:14:37 AM by KensAuto »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal