Hello Guest

Author Topic: I went and did it....  (Read 763 times)

Offline oldkoot

• Registered
    • View Profile
I went and did it....
« on: June 16, 2021, 12:39:16 PM »
So.... while stuck in the shop avoiding people my wife says "you need to build something" so.... since life always proves interesting with her ideas...why not.

Offline oldkoot

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: I went and did it....
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2021, 12:54:14 PM »
She conned me into putting the old crew back on the road. Complete frame up redo. That was great fun during the rest of the worlds "covid phase"

1985 W350 (barn find) it was in my barn so it counts. Lets see we bought it like 20 years ago...tossed in a stroker big block, some 38's and lockers and beat it all over a few countries. then took it apart 15 years ago.... and Barn find =)

It's now sporting a healthy VE pump IH block/head build. Cam, extrude ported head, S300 turbo, the usual stuff and some very amusing pump mods. NV4500 (billet imput/outputs) South Bend clutch, and a almost brand new NOS Np205.

1410 rear shaft/1350 CV front shaft. Dana 60 front with Dana 70 gears/Grizzly, 35 spline aftermarket inner/outter shafts. Yukon Lockouts, cut/turned knuckles, Dana 70 "c's" GLO cover...Blah blah.... Rear 14 Bolt has a grizzly and aftermarket axle shafts, and some GLO disk brakes/cover.  Thanks again to my two favorite hippies... Shawn at GLO and Tate up there at Yukon.

It has a crossover steering... Moly tubes, HD TRE's and a PSI steering box. Alcan front springs, Chevy Suburban rear springs, 3" of lift total. Truck will fit in a 7" door with the 40's. Weighs under 6000lbs full of fluids, runs the 1/4 in under 14 sec, and has averaged 21mpg over the last 1500 miles.

It's far from finished really, still have plenty of paint work to do. (wet sand buff, paint rear fenders)  Build some bumpers, and completely redo the interior. But overall we are happy with it....it tows great, runs along at 90mph on I80 no problem and in general works just fine.

Offline oldkoot

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2021, 12:57:09 PM »
next phase..... outfit it to do some overlanding and maybe put in AC... we shall see.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2021, 01:22:45 PM »
Great work.  Seems like there is no limit to what you can find in that barn?
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2021, 01:56:35 PM »
That’s some fancy barn lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 02:01:46 PM »
Kooter!!!

Where you been? Walking around in all your barns trying to find stuff?

Nice truck buddy
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 02:17:07 PM »
Yep, Norm does clean work
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 07:38:02 PM »
Very nice Norm. Welcome back!!

I have been thinking going manual on the Sub. Kinda looking for a 4500/5600 or even a ZF6 if I get to keep my arm too.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline oldkoot

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 11:57:22 AM »
JR....manual is nice. I bust this Nv4500 again I am going Auto. Apparently full boost in 5th gear with a heavy trailer is a poor idea. *who knew?

Not much else to update...its driving around doing truck stuff. I have some rattles to find and solve, and a very odd loss of PS fluid. Other than the busted NV4500 all has been smooth. The newly Norm/built Nv4500 has been just fine so far...knock on wood.

My wife has other plans for my time recently, she bought a new project....ugh.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 02:09:02 AM »
I see lots of upgrades for the "stock" 4500 shortfalls. Shawn likes the ZF6, I have an auto now (maybe good)

Right now I am chasing a "rattle" on my dmax. Fairly sure it is the parking brake or bearings in the AAM 11.5. Rattle on stops and left turns, no peddle feedback,no driving or stopping issues. Pads and rotor are perfect (218K) Tomorrow I pull the rotor and hub.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal