Hello Guest

Author Topic: The Tyranny of Things  (Read 1118 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
The Tyranny of Things
« on: November 20, 2015, 10:28:44 AM »
The Tyranny of Things

Do you own things

or

Do things own you?

It seems a fair statement that the more things you own the more each of them exerts a small or larger pull on you. And that pull has some demands. Ownership can demand our time, our attention, our money, and sometimes our children, marriages, and lives.

Think about it...Tyranny of things...

We who gather here all seem to like our trucks. We fret over them, concern ourselves with every little detail, are willing to get into senseless arguments and will think less of a guy driving a Ford, for example, if we happen to be devout Chevy owners. Yea, gotcha on that one didn't I?

Ever notice the amount of time EVERYONE here spends discussing what is the proper or best engine oil? Or best self defense caliber or weapon. I can't help but wonder what might happen if we spent just ten percent of that time hugging our wives or children, or doing something for them, or speaking to someone about the love that is God and Jesus.

Some of us own more weapons than we can possibly carry (Guilty). We own several vehicles (Guilty). We have large homes (Guilty) We have multiple properties (guilty) We own tools and tractors and mowers, and on and on. We own things to the point where when you put it in context with the situation of a struggling single mom whose worthless husband who is strung out on drugs or alcohol has left her with nothing, well that has to be enough to make you sick inside!

The tyranny of things. If you had but one truck to service you'd certainly have more spare time overall than if you had 2, or 3 or thirteen, right? So those things own your time to that extent, right? Well you might argue that, "Well, I enjoy changing the oil in those things, it adds happiness to my life." I would counter by saying, that it is adding up an empty happiness while you store up and add to your earthly treasure. A treasure which you will have to leave behind when you depart earth for heaven or hell.

Just how important is all that treasure after you die? When you are suffering in hell or experiencing everlasting joy in heaven, what will that cool set of wheels or bumper, or paint afford you? Well, demons will appreciate what you did because misery loves company and because of your earthly focus, you will get to live with them forever!

The Tyranny of things...So how much do you tithe? 10%? More? Great, you understand and have read that much of God's word and have the heart and courage to heed his word. Tithing is a private admission, and submission to the word of God. It is your private testimony through actual sacrifice and doing something with something that is near and dear to us, "our" money. It is trusting in something in which we have faith, and hope, and that we love.

Remember the real definition of Love...The willingness to place something above your needs, to sacrifice. So would giving beyond what is normal or asked for in the scripture, show even more love, and faith, and trust? You decide.

So do you tithe? Do you give 10% of what you make to your church? If you don't then you don't trust God, your faith is weak, and you are stealing from him. No, I am not one to mince words. I like the direct approach. Nossir, if your feet stink and your momma doesn't like ya, well, I'm the guy to deliver that message. I will however also offer you a shower and go talk to mom about your good points, you see, I won't leave you just beat up and bloody. I learned that from my example of a real man, Jesus.

So do you steal from God? Whoa be to you if you are spending that money on a new set of tires instead! That would be a sure fire way to guarantee that those tires won't give you good service, might blow out, or skid you into a guardrail. You can bet those tires will not be blessed with a spirit of safety!

So 10% seems to be the agreed starting number. Do you give at least that? Let's say you are like 85% of so called Christians and give 3% to 5%. So you're robbing say 7 food stores a year to make ends meet, with me so far? By stepping up to say 8%, you're effectively saying, "OK, I'll only rob 3 food stores next year! Think about it!

Here's a question to consider: Who owns your money? I mean the money you legitimately earned while working at your job? Who owns the car you drive around and who owns the house you make diligent mortgage payments on? Who owns the electricity you are using and who owns the water you just drank? If you think you earned any of that, or that any of that is yours, think again, you're not reading the good book and you have a self centered heart and you love idols. Yep, I said it and when you really think about what I said, it's true!

God owns everything under the heavens...EVERYTHING! We are not owners, we are stewards of everything that has weight. God has laid all this out like a banquet before you to allow you to be given the word, and then observe how you react to it (Him). Do you hoard it? Or do you share it? Whoa be to you if have gotten yourself to the point where "You can't afford to tithe." Can't afford to tithe??? So whatever you are spending your money on and I'm betting it's on revolving debt, has taken priority over God in your life! You have to know that is EXACTLY what you are doing. Own this because realizing the truth about your situation can save you and change your life forever!

Let me ask you this way, if I removed 10% of your salary, just took it away, would you die? Starve to death? Become homeless? Probably not. So what you just said, and please be honest to yourself, (nobody but you knows), is that the clothes you purchased on credit over at Target are more important to you than your father who created you. If you don't believe in God, well, then I wouldn't worry about it, you're going to explain all this in front of his judgment seat and then be cast into hell anyway, so what does it matter, right? Drive on and make the most of your idol driven life, for it is the only pleasure you will ever have!

So, since I like to distill things down to just black and white (Truth or lies), it pans out like this. If you don't tithe and give money, you do not trust God, or perhaps you don't even know him, you worship idols, and you are disobedient. You do not trust that your Father in heaven (Abba Father) will actually give you all that you need, and you really don't buy into the concept of a Christian life. Kinda like washing your feet with your socks on, eh? Yep, I'll take the eternal life package, and sign me up for blessings as well, but hey, I just want to add to everything you are going to do for me and cover myself up with even more useless things. (I'm a country boy and that reminds me of how a crow gathers worthless shiny things to line its nest with). You see, I know that, hey, you are God and everything, but this earthly life is pretty good, so I'm just gonna pick and choose ala' carte from the good book and then add my own parts, sort of like tweaking a favorite recipe. Yep, God you are awesome, but you and I together, well that's even better, right?

Marty milk-toast men and women out there. Time is short, get your life right, he comes as like a thief in the night, and he comes soon. You ready?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KeithB

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: The Tyranny of Things
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:54:37 AM »
Awsome word Don. I agree completly.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 11:00:58 AM »
Don, I was guilty of all of that as well and am still guilty of some. Owning the world is definitely a burden. After the two auctions and watching all the equipment go it you would have thought I would have been depressing but it wasn't at all. I had a huge smile on my face as did my wife. It was and has been a blessing.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 11:27:51 AM »
^^^Good testimony!

I have been thinking of lightening the load in my life as well

I tithe and give, but I want to do more!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 11:34:49 AM »
Malachi 3:8-18King James Version (KJV)

8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings.

9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation.

10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the Lord of hosts.

One of my favorite verses. It's hard when bills get in the way and you can't see the forest through the trees, but even donating our time, clothes and toys, appliances to the thrift store of the church, helps to keep our mind right about what's "ours".

Believe it!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Online Atkinsmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 12:50:40 PM »
These verses were our sermon last Sunday.  It is great how the Scriptures work on people.  That'll preach Don.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »
These verses were our sermon last Sunday.  It is great how the Scriptures work on people.  That'll preach Don.
Good!

I was reading this morning, about the treasure in giving, how we should store up in heaven and not so much here on earth. All of a sudden it came to me, so I hauled my quoffee mug into my office and wrote that.
I think it should cause some introspective thought...

Online Atkinsmatt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 05:35:52 PM »
I agree. I am guilty. This is an area calling for constant checking.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal