Hello Guest

Author Topic: for your knowledge  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
for your knowledge
« on: March 11, 2015, 10:55:08 AM »
for all of you that have ever wondered what kind of piloting stuff don practiced and conducted on a regular basis, here are a few quick video showing some of the maneuvers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Gt1sKv2vo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHfyJ-ewlAU

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chinook+helicopter
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: for your knowledge
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 01:03:17 PM »
Man that brought back memories!

Yep did all that so many times

The aft wheel landing is really tough. You can't see where your rotor or landing gear is, so you have to just find a sprig of grass or branch or rock through the chin bubble and listen to the crew chief. "Back 3, down 2, hold what you have...straight down...3...2...1...contact....hold what you have...hold...ramp coming down, hold what you have...Troops approaching...sliding right a little hold what you have...troops boarding...troops boarding....ramp coming up...cleared up...off the ground 1...3...4...5...10...cleared for flight."

Yep I remember digging my fingers out of that hard plastic cyclic many times after doing that.

The water landing was a bad idea. Salt water destroys the bearings in the landing gear and the fuselage! You have to wash the dickens out of it after doing that. I think that was a Dutch chinook in the water, possibly a Mark 1 British. We flew those in special ops in the early days. Pointed nose was a big giveaway from the regular Army rounder nose hooks.

Here is my favorite vid from what you shared:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlPnDvRX_2E

At the end when 891 is climbing away, it reminded me of a Chinook I flew in Korea. Can't remember the tail number, but it is the one I painted one weekend. I nicknamed it "Homesick Angel" because it would absolutely pin you to the seat in a straight up climb. In that one I used to pull in power with zero airspeed and ask people to lift their legs off the floor...they couldn't normally, well close. I could maintain a strong climb with zero airspeed all the way to 14,000 feet...Homesick Angel!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 01:36:41 PM »
I have watched all those before, just awesome!!

I remember as a boy watching the 53's come in at MCAS(H) Tustin and doing the landing flare. Scared the ()(&* out of me!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:29:16 PM »
Don on the port side of the craft there is a slender rail near the top that runs nearly the length between the rotors and stands off about 2 feet.  What is that?
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 07:30:53 AM »
Don on the port side of the craft there is a slender rail near the top that runs nearly the length between the rotors and stands off about 2 feet.  What is that?
HF radio antenna
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal