Hello Guest

Author Topic: trucks that spent time in the salt  (Read 1003 times)

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
trucks that spent time in the salt
« on: July 21, 2020, 12:13:33 AM »
The factory running boards on the 03 2500 that were mostly plastic finally gave up the ghost.

So I had a set that a friend of mine gave to me a long time ago, with this set you have to mount the support brackets using the bolts going thru the body mounts.

Then I removed them I was surprised to see this, not much left. of the 6 bolts holding the cab these were the worst.

This truck from what the original owner told me spent 1 year in Minnesota and the truck dose not have any rust for the most part, just mostly surface.

Its amazing what a small amount of salt/water trapped in a closed area will do to metal. the bolt thats almost gone was the center passenger mount 

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: trucks that spent time in the salt
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 12:58:00 AM »
Utah all winter long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 07:27:28 AM »
Welcome to the Midwest
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 08:27:39 AM »
I have to wash the underside of my truck all the time. Additionally, I use that gooey cavity sealer, spray amber stuff which I believe is cosmoline. So far I have very little rust, but a salt zone person needs to stay after it.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 08:35:22 AM »
I can relate with a MN truck. I'm in the process of getting mine ready to sell. Mine still looks really good and solid but it was a challenge keeping up with it during the winter. It definitely helps with weekly undercarriage washing and then having a heated garage so it can dry out. <---- Key

I was thinking about taking it to FL and selling it there but with the situation I don't think I will need it and I don't think I would get as good of a price being a "Minnesota" rust bucket. At least in MN they are used to it and it seems as long as the rockers, corners, and fenders don't have any rust the Duramax's still go for a pretty decent price. Hard to find them with decent miles that haven't been beat to death.

I will see who picks it apart.  :rolleyes:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2020, 09:28:05 AM »
Welcome to the Midwest

I grew up in the rust belt, I just forgot how bad it can be even it they spend just one winter in those conditions.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 10:35:31 AM »
I can relate with a MN truck. I'm in the process of getting mine ready to sell. Mine still looks really good and solid but it was a challenge keeping up with it during the winter. It definitely helps with weekly undercarriage washing and then having a heated garage so it can dry out. <---- Key

I was thinking about taking it to FL and selling it there but with the situation I don't think I will need it and I don't think I would get as good of a price being a "Minnesota" rust bucket. At least in MN they are used to it and it seems as long as the rockers, corners, and fenders don't have any rust the Duramax's still go for a pretty decent price. Hard to find them with decent miles that haven't been beat to death.

I will see who picks it apart.  :rolleyes:
Mike, be sure to post it up here. Another member may want to continue your legacy in that truck. Or you could drive it down there and just enjoy it some more.

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 08:04:41 PM »
Here is the Craigslist link to it. I looked at the ad and it should say good MN truck condition.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/d/monticello-2008-chevrolet-silverado/7164672360.html

I have had a couple of people look at it. One possible taker who is checking bank on Monday. But ya never know. More flakes on CL than in a box of cereal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2020, 08:13:37 PM »
Also picked this up today. We were planning on renting a Uhaul and then a PODs storage due to the extreme downsizing but I have been watching this for weeks so pulled the trigger. 

We can now load at our leisure and be able to take all of the things a mover won’t haul.

2018 practically brand new at half the price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2020, 09:45:34 PM »
That trailer will outlast all of us here,   Trailer storage is the best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2020, 10:12:26 AM »
Nice!

I'm still sorting through my trailer purchase...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal