Hello Guest

Author Topic: Los Banos  (Read 578 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
Los Banos
« on: January 28, 2022, 04:48:14 PM »
https://www.fayobserver.com/story/news/military/2018/02/23/wwii-prisoner-donates-us-flag-to-airborne-amp-special-operations-museum/14136712007/

Found this looking up some history on Grandad, 11th Airborne. Couple months before he passed, a then child from that camp showed up at his hospice with a news crew to thank him for his part in liberating that camp. Thought it belonged here. Oh and Sam, he was born in Cardsten, AB, so guess that makes me 1/4 Candian!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Los Banos
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2022, 05:38:00 PM »
Los Banos is a celebrated namesake in the 18th Airborne Corps. Ft. Campbell actually has a DZ (Drop zone) called Los Banos!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 06:35:30 PM »
Los Banos is a celebrated namesake in the 18th Airborne Corps. Ft. Campbell actually has a DZ (Drop zone) called Los Banos!

That's very cool Don, thank you for that. He didn't talk much about his service, and never talked about Los Banos about being some big thing. We only learned about the real story from the former POW. All he ever told me was they caught the (japs) by surprise when they were doing their morning PT. Said they had drums of diesel they were planning on lighting the barracks on fire and shooting the prisoners that tried to run. Pretty miserable way to go out.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 07:02:11 PM »

That's very cool Don, thank you for that. He didn't talk much about his service, and never talked about Los Banos about being some big thing. We only learned about the real story from the former POW. All he ever told me was they caught the (japs) by surprise when they were doing their morning PT. Said they had drums of diesel they were planning on lighting the barracks on fire and shooting the prisoners that tried to run. Pretty miserable way to go out.
Japanese then were evil monsters. The more we shot, the better. Me: Not sure I wouldn't have marched them into those barracks then set the fire...What goes around, comes around

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2022, 08:58:10 PM »
https://factsanddetails.com/asian/ca67/sub427/item2531.html

Evil personified

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 09:19:41 AM »
https://factsanddetails.com/asian/ca67/sub427/item2531.html

Evil personified

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They well deserved everything they received!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 02:10:18 PM »

Japanese then were evil monsters. The more we shot, the better. Me: Not sure I wouldn't have marched them into those barracks then set the fire...What goes around, comes around

No, that's what the Japanese were planning on doing to the POW's!!!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 02:44:09 PM »

No, that's what the Japanese were planning on doing to the POW's!!!
Them: Meaning the Japanese guards. I will not honor them by calling them soldiers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal