Hello Guest

Author Topic: .300 Win Mag...decisions  (Read 5047 times)

Offline Guyton

• Registered
    • View Profile
.300 Win Mag...decisions
« on: September 24, 2014, 01:27:57 PM »
so im no stranger to hunting and shooting. but the .300 win mag is a new creature to me. what is everyone using or suggesting for tighter groups and better accuracy? right now im shooting the winchester model 70 and using winchester 180gr ballistic silvertip. this is strictly hunting only, need something for these great NWern elk and other furry creatures.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: .300 Win Mag...decisions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »
watch out, we have the marines in here now!  do you still have my buddy Gene's number that i gave you a while back?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Guyton

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »
i dont think i do. i remember getting in contact with him about a glock but was able to find one locally and now its heavily modified and is my bedside gun and AP gun when i dont conceal.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:33:02 PM »
I really like the 300 Win Mag, don't know if you reload or not but my loads are 180 Gr. Speer SP in front of 80 gr. H1000, with a CCI 250 starting the fire in my Ruger No. 1 and 180 Gr. Speer MT or Hornady interbond in front of 74.5 gr. of H4831 with a CCI 250 starting the fire in my T/C Icon. Both loads use FC brass. I am using the Hornady's now because I can't find the Speer Mag Tip. I can not recommend a factory round as I have not used one in many years except to compare the fired case to my reloads. With these loads I am getting +- 1 inch 5 shot groups at 100 yds. and no more meat damage than with  308 or 7mm rounds depending on where it hits of course. I believe it is not as much about how fast it can get there, as it is about what happens when it does.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:15:58 PM »
I used to load the .300

And I can't remember squat about the loads

I remember I experimented always using resized Remington brass. I loaded up some really heavy Barnes Bullets which kicked like a mule, then played with the .308 186 gr NMBT bullet. I loaded that one down and pushed it to case rupture. All were fired from my Remington 700 BDL, 24" barrel. I want to say I was groping well with the heavier bullets at medium loads of powder

I know, I didn't tell anyone squat. but I do love that .300!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Guyton

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
i hit up the LGS last night and BSed with the oldest guy there for a bit and he recommended Hornady SSTs for the best accuracy out of the box. and to be honest i cant really argue that from the research ive done. sadly they didnt have any in stock but i do plan on ordering a box or 2 here soon to try out. i know the Winchester Ballistic silvertip 180gr that im using dont group worth a damn. but in their defense, the barrel was heat soaked.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »
Ever heard of a .264 Win Magnum?

It's my fav long range gun

With a 140 gr I think it might edge out the .300 at distance...

I have one in a Remington 700BDL I purchased from the Rod and Gun club in Kitzengen, Germany in the 80's

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 01:48:57 PM »
I have had great luck with the 180 gr balistic silvertips. Federal brass, 75.5 grains of RL-22. sub MOA groups all day long. Firing in a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker. The Hornady SST's worked well also, but not quite as well as the silvertips do in my rifle.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 11:36:55 PM »
I load 190 SMKs on Norma brass with RL19.  I believe its a tad over 70 grains, but I need to go pull my book and look. It makes a really good replica of the Federal Gold Medal Match for the 300.  For hunting, Berger has some VLDs that are really accurate.  I've not had a chance to try them on game yet.  I like my Alaska stainless ultralight 308 with Nosler 150 partitions handloaded over Varget.  Even on 600 lb Nilgai.  I just got really good and hitting them in the neck.  They crumple like a cheap suit and I don't have to carry the cannon. 
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2014, 07:38:35 PM »
I have had great luck with the 180 gr balistic silvertips. Federal brass, 75.5 grains of RL-22. sub MOA groups all day long. Firing in a Browning A-bolt stainless stalker. The Hornady SST's worked well also, but not quite as well as the silvertips do in my rifle.

I do like the ballistic tip or silver tip for deer size game. If after elk or bigger I have found they open up to quick especially if hitting bone, and cause a lot of extra time and energy tracking and packing.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 09:38:44 PM »
A few days old but I was gone. I was looking at that or a 338 but decided to stay with my Ruger 77 in 7mm Rem Mag. Looking at the ballistics is why I stayed.

Now if I was going to get new, the 300 is a great choice and ammo is actually all over.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 11:18:10 PM »

I do like the ballistic tip or silver tip for deer size game. If after elk or bigger I have found they open up to quick especially if hitting bone, and cause a lot of extra time and energy tracking and packing.
[/quote]
I must agree with this statement. I use this combo almost exclusively for all my big game and you hit the nail on the head with the larger animals. Moose require well placed shots due to the rapid expansion or you risk a long track and pack. The partitions hold together better but I lost accuracy. Now I'm al little anal on grouping and but losing accuracy was still around 1 MOA. I probably should revisit my supplies and test the waters again.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
grouping and but losing accuracy was still around 1 MOA. I probably should revisit my supplies and test the waters again.

Have you tried moving the round closer to the lands? Some people I knew who reloaded had better accuracy when the round caught the lands sooner instead of moving forward then catching them.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 02:30:36 PM »
grouping and but losing accuracy was still around 1 MOA. I probably should revisit my supplies and test the waters again.

Have you tried moving the round closer to the lands? Some people I knew who reloaded had better accuracy when the round caught the lands sooner instead of moving forward then catching them.

That is very true but, I have to watch the magazine length, which is usually the deciding factor, and for hunting I have more than one rifle eating the same ammo, so the rounds must fit the chambers of them all so no mixups happen while in the field.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2014, 03:54:03 PM »
That is very true but, I have to watch the magazine length, which is usually the deciding factor, and for hunting I have more than one rifle eating the same ammo, so the rounds must fit the chambers of them all so no mixups happen while in the field.

Good point.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 10:51:04 PM »
Talking to a lifetime reloader and developer of specialty ammo the other day about the .33 rem, he said the case neck was too short to ever make that a serious round. Me I don't know. My .300 Rem BDL is very accurate. He likes the Weatherby mag more because of the brass. Just throwing that out there because I know he is way better than most people I know who take shooting seriously.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 09:28:40 PM »
Ever heard of a .264 Win Magnum?

It's my fav long range gun

With a 140 gr I think it might edge out the .300 at distance...

I have one in a Remington 700BDL I purchased from the Rod and Gun club in Kitzengen, Germany in the 80's

Borrowed one for deer hunt in Missouri 16 years ago from a co-worker.  Had OLD 4x scope on it and while sighting it in ran outta adjustment so practiced 'tucky windage at 100yrds to punch a hole in a quarter which I gave to the owner when I returned the gun.  He just grinned looking at it.

On the deer at 100yrds. It never took another step with a mushy heart and lung condition and a quarter sized exit wound.  Really liked the gun, round and performance, but getting ammo readily was a challenge, but then again, only used one after sight-in rounds!  Had a muzzle break- won't EVER use one again hunting without ear plugs!  Most damage I've ever felt to my hearing when I touched that round off in the tree stand!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2014, 12:48:09 AM »
Yes Sir those muzzle brakes will make you deaf in short order. I now wear hearing aids, no high frequency at all without help. Don't know for sure if it was the brake, even with hearing protection, or fertiblasting while working in landscaping but can not hear anything above midrange voice pitch without the aids.

Guy I worked with lost his foot when he shot himself with a 264 Win mag while standing on a blacktop road being a fool.  :(

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »
I'm goning to sell that gun, that and my Marlin 337C in .35 Remington. Looking on Gun trader, there is one on there, and it's not even a BDL and the guy is asking a grand. Not sure what I should ask for either gun, I bought them both new in 1982 and kept them oiled in a gun case ever since. I killed a deer with the Marlin, but only shot at paper with the .264WM

I'm getting that new 7.62 Ruger AR gun. I think I'll scope it with something good and use for a sporter gun with obvious other capabilities as well

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 08:34:52 PM »
I'm getting that new 7.62 Ruger AR gun. I think I'll scope it with something good and use for a sporter gun with obvious other capabilities as well

I've heard good and bad on that. The safety and trigger being the most brought up.

IIRC, the trigger isn't the greatest, of course you can always swap that out. The safety, from what I read, there is a small bump or whatnot, at approx 75 degrees that makes a bit stiff/resistance to a smooth swing, but then again, you can swap out safeties.

The barrel also isn't free-floating. The adjustable gas block touches the barrel and the handguards. 

But it does look nice. And you already have a 7.62 semi, why get a new one?

To answer your question, it's a standardization question. I know the AR platform. Better than anything else. Now when it comes to accuracy, I don't think any semi gun will match my springfield. But it's an old design, a wood guy with a way-long barrel. The Ar with a folder stock makes it a nice gun to use. And the 7.62 X 51 is just such a great cartridge...
But would I ever sell my M1A NM gun? No.
Don't be 800 meters away from that gun and get all warm and fuzzy safe feelin...!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:49:13 PM by BobbyB »

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 12:59:05 PM »
You wrote your response on my post and thoroughly confused me, as I re-read it thinking I wrote more than I did. If you want a AR in 7.62, look into building your own, it'll probably be cheaper. The Ruger is nice, but you don't run suppressed, so you really don't NEED an adjustable gas block like that.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 01:00:36 PM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2014, 01:35:17 PM »
I like that it is a piston gun first, that it is a factory sorted out gun second that it comes from a US gun manufacturer that knows what they are doing, and it's just butt easy. Plunk down the cash and drive home with it, and start shooting Duane's deer targets to pieces!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 03:11:45 PM »
I like that it is a piston gun first, that it is a factory sorted out gun second that it comes from a US gun manufacturer that knows what they are doing, and it's just butt easy. Plunk down the cash and drive home with it, and start shooting Duane's deer targets to pieces!

Suppose those are good enough reasons.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
In my humble opinion and experience:

Piston guns are more of a fad and some gun mfgs only make them because the market demands them.  Listen to what the guys at LMT said about them.

Build your lower, buy an uppoer.  Noveske or have one made by GA Precision.  Not many people will offer an accuracy guarantee on the AR platform, but GA will. 

In my last competition, the San Antonio SWAT team guy was the only one who beat me on the 500yd movers and he ran a GA precision AR-10.  It sounded like he was ringing a dinner bell.  I had 9 hits down and back and racked up 14.  He was tough to beat inside 700yds on any evolution by us guys running bolts.

Out beyond 700, the semi guys can't run with the bolts, but who's really a threat outside 700?  I'll take multi zombie engagement at 700 and in anyday.

That whooping I took was the impetus for me to go buy my first AR-10......Love it beyond words.  Get a Geissele trigger and own everything in your sector from 700 and in...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2014, 10:00:11 AM »
Get a Geissele trigger

Which one do you have?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal