Hello Guest

Author Topic: Jeep Advice Needed  (Read 2113 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Jeep Advice Needed
« on: May 06, 2015, 09:37:15 AM »
I know some of you out there own or have owned Jeeps.  I'm considering a Jeep for a project (think mini Square D)

I want a no electronics, diesel powered, go anywhere, compact, vehicle.  I'm thinking CJ-7 or CJ8 (although the CJ8s command a lot of money) and swapping in a small Izuzu small diesel or a 4 banger mercedes diesel with mechanical injection. (would a 12V cummins fit?  Although I like the idea of an even more fuel efficient 4 banger)

I'd want it to be street legal so emissions would have to come into play, I guess.

I don't know the first thing about what to look for, weak spots, body problems, better years, axle options, etc.

I'd like something decent, but not great since I'll be parting out the engine and swapping in a diesel.

So, a potential build project with no extra gizmos.  A key, a diesel engine, manual trans, manual locking hubs, wipers and headlights.

What advice can you give a Jeep neophyte?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:38:09 AM by TexasRedNeck »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: Jeep Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 10:55:48 AM »
Go look on 4bt swaps, the 4 cyl 12 valve has been done a lot.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 11:58:30 AM »
Jeeps.... I'd probably start with a Wrangler as they are plentiful and rather inexpensive. I'd say a 4bt/Nv4500/Dana 300 combination is proven reliable. (as an example) and all three are common to source parts for most anywhere.

I'd run full width axles. (Dana 60's) and 37" rubber or in that range. Simple leaf springs and call it good. That would get you a inexpensive rig that can handle a multitude of terrain and still buzz around on the freeway if you desired. 

I have a friend who built something very similar and he uses it as a daily driver at times, a trail rig sometimes, and tows it behind his RV other times. His wife even drives it to work at times when she wants to enjoy a convertible. It's limited on what it can carry and space obviously, but a small tow behind trailer makes up for that in his case. We took it Elk hunting a few years back, and it handled a 500 mile one way drive, and the mountains with ease. 

Just tossing ideas out there, there are more ways to build a Jeep than there are to get taxed....some serious realistic usage analysis would be how I'd start.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 02:17:28 PM »
Or you could fulfill my dream and make a Wagoneer version of Square D. Square W.  8) Honestly my '72  had a points distributor, battery, motor, heater, radio, lights. All stripped down to simple wires w/ inline fuses, and simple relays. it was a full framed tank that went anywhere, seated 6 and had enough room in the engine compartment for two CBT's. Trimmed fenders and a simple spring over axle swap allowed for 35" tires w/ minimal lift, and in border states they are popular wheeling rigs w/ the Mexicans. (I sell them tons of parts for them). that's my $1.50 worth.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

OldKooT

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 04:49:06 PM »
Tate... that's actually a truck I have always wanted to build. A bad to the bone Wagoneer would be a good time. I have owned a few over the years and as as a sport utility, they are in my opinion unmatched off road performance stock for stock.

In fact we ran the Rubicon in my wife's daily driver Wagoneer years ago. It had a small lift, 35" Bfg MT's and front and rear power locks. It was extremely nimble for what it was.

If I evr find a early model stripper Wagoneer that's not rusty... watch out. 

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 07:36:15 PM »
Great advice fellas.  Especially the realistic usage.  I would like a well rounded vehicle capable of off going off road, driving at hwy speeds, getting good mileage and reliable.  I'm checking out the 4bt site and there is a good discussion about the 4BD1T versus the 4BT.  Seems the Izuzu is a smoother perhaps more powerful engine but parts are not as plentiful as the 4BT. 

http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/4967062137.html

I hadn't thought about the wagoneer.  A little bigger that I wanted and not open air, but that one on CL is cheap.  I texted him and will see if its still there.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 08:52:29 PM »
Got a text back that the wagoneer above is still available. Waiting on additional pics.  What do you guys think?  Is the engine bay big enough for a 6bt?

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 09:30:59 PM »
Tate... that's actually a truck I have always wanted to build. A bad to the bone Wagoneer would be a good time. I have owned a few over the years and as as a sport utility, they are in my opinion unmatched off road performance stock for stock.

In fact we ran the Rubicon in my wife's daily driver Wagoneer years ago. It had a small lift, 35" Bfg MT's and front and rear power locks. It was extremely nimble for what it was.

If I evr find a early model stripper Wagoneer that's not rusty... watch out. 

The farm right next door has a hand living there, has been since I've been here. He has a cherry grand wagoner. All stock and really in perfect condition. Or he used to...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:32:55 PM »
6BT WAY too much motor. 4BT can make 600-800 ft lbs of torque and probably mid-upper 20's mpg possible. Norm is square on...plenty of info on 4BT swaps about that combo.

I wouldn't dismiss an old scout either
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

OldKooT

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2015, 08:11:12 PM »
A 6bt will fit in a Wagoneer yes. It's been done numerous times. I am sure if you search the subject, or possibly M715 (Jeeps Military pickup) you can find some 6bt swap approaches.

If I ever build one it will be as follows.
Old Wago like in your link. A GM LS Motor/Nv4500/205. Dana 60 Front/rear 4.10's 37" rubber some lockers and not much else.

I would source the LS from a U pull it yard for $275, I'd find a used Nv4500 update the 5th gear and bolt on a Off Road Design magnum doubler. Then I'd run most likely a 205 case as they are tough/durable and it gives you a great gear split variety.

A simple spring over home brew lift front and rear with enough room to clear some 37" rubber and call it good.

The reason I'd use the gasoline LS engine is they are reliable, make huge power if tweaked and can be very economical when properly tuned. And I might have $2000 in the entire engine/management system.

If I was all worried about the electronics I'd just use a Dodge magnum engine with a carb and old fashioned distributor. The Magnums can also run along strong and make decent MPG figures.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal