Hello Guest

Author Topic: Heads Up  (Read 398 times)

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Heads Up
« on: September 12, 2019, 11:56:45 AM »
Duane came across something recently, so i checked out my phone and sure enough I was similarly affected.

It seems that some apps, when installed, take certain liberties with your privacy. Case in point, USAA, a once trusted company, and perhaps they still are like many other companies has its own phone app. When you check the permissions box, you are giving them permission to access your photos, your microphone, and your camera.

Begs the question as to why they would need to listen in on you, view your family pics, and be able to look at you and your surroundings whenever they like...

Go into the settings page on your phone, then to every app you downloaded and click on each one. I found that about a quarter of them were listening and viewing on my phone's camera. I disabled all those permissions.

Everyone is different, but for me, I only want the company or person on the other end of my phone to get what I feel comfortable in releasing, and nothing more.

FYI
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Heads Up
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 07:23:53 PM »
The real money in the apps is the data that they sell to other companies.

Recently heard that state DMVs are selling your information to third parties for $$.

That’s right, data you are legally obligated to provide the gov’t, they are selling to private third parties for profit.

We are all just data mines

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 08:59:36 PM »
^^^ And that is just not right
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 11:37:50 PM »
Believe that's illegal, but who do something?

I check those permissions and don't agree when not needed. Why would a flashlight need you info?

Sure there are many I have not caught, but the machine is working.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal