WEAPONS > Firearms

My new Marlin

<< < (2/4) > >>

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: stlaser on April 01, 2024, 09:19:53 AM ---I wish mine had the mitten lever handle….

I had a nice 3x9 stainless scope on mine. When we started camping in bear country I took it off. Figured I’m faster with irons. My 2 cents.

--- End quote ---
Concur, faster with Irons

Now my experience with unexpected close in threats is the two legged variety.

I rolled with an ACOG, and still use it today, but the fastest target pickup I ever used is an EOTECH.

Matt Atkins suggested I get both. Swap them out.

But just this morning I got an email notification from Bud's gun shop. They just got a shipment of the new Smith and Wesson .44 magnum lever guns. Now that would make a good (better) deer gun because it is less cannon-like. There may be some parts of the animal still useable if hit by a .44 magnum rather than a 45-70. A gun like that would be more deserving of a scope-like optic.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/162329/smith+%26+wesson+model+1854+.44+rem+mag+19.25+stainless+threaded+9+1

Undecided at this point, but a reflex sight seems to fit the intended purpose (Fast response to an unexpected bear encounter)

stlaser:
Meh……..

Back in Indiana growing up all we could use for whitetail was shotgun slugs. Then in my early 20’s they opened it for rifles with pistol cartridges such as the .44 mag. So I bought a lever in .44 mag and some of the top of the line deer rounds of the time. As a landowner I had quite a few doe tags and would shoot several just to donate to the local hunters for the hungry program.

Opening morning, 45 yards broadside and shot her where with a 12ga she wouldn’t have made it 10 ft. Well, she ran 200 yards and laid down. I caught up with her in this picked bean field. She got up and tried started to run again. Took second shot to bring her down so I could cut her neck and finish her off. I sold that gun shortly after. Took too many deer with 12ga and didn’t have to track them anywhere.

My 2 cents, use the 45-70 or a real rifle cartridge.

Bob Smith:
I have a Ruger no. 1 stainless 45/70. Has a fixed front blade with an adjustable ghost ring rear. That setup works very well, bring it up to my shoulder and the front blade is centered in the ghost ring.

oklawall:
Those bear loads kick just a little bit

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: Bob Smith on April 01, 2024, 05:12:02 PM ---I have a Ruger no. 1 stainless 45/70. Has a fixed front blade with an adjustable ghost ring rear. That setup works very well, bring it up to my shoulder and the front blade is centered in the ghost ring.

--- End quote ---
Mine too! I like that setup. I have been practicing bringing the gun to bear after carrying it and almost every single time my eye falls right on that ghost ring with the front sight centered.
Once I get back from the Utah and put some rounds through it, I'll know better how that all works.
I was out today looking at that SIG low power variable 1X-6x illuminated reticle scope. It's nice but I haven't made up my mind if I'll buy it, or the EOTEC or use nothing at all...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version