Hello Guest

Author Topic: 2016 Rubicon GJ  (Read 30836 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 Rubicon GJ
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2017, 10:23:59 AM »
That Dana 44 is smaller than the gearbox on my bush hog!

Anyhow, I took it for a drive, and I have to say, it rides great! Much quieter, and all the square sides of the previous tires are gone. It has suffered a noticeable loss of power, and since it never had any to begin with it is not a good thing. In cruise at 70 mph, it was dropping down a gear in hills. It never did that before. Maybe the engine will explode, blowing the thing apart which will get it out of my driveway...One can only dream!

Couple of poser shots for ya

Now back to cleaning bathrooms and doing dishes. I(I need something more interesting to do to liven my spirits after that frozen wasteland wrench party!)

Looks great. They are pretty gutless out of the box, and adding the larger tires doesn't help much. if it's an auto, then probably 3.21 gears factory. A set of 4.11 would fix her up just right, but that's just another wrench party in the cold, plus you'd need to program to correct it. The tube stiffeners would be appropriate if you were using it as God intended, off road, but not for a daily unless the tuck has a lot of really big pot holes and mulch piles to navigate. Even then, I would imagine the Frau would be able to negotiate those obstacles even with two different shoes.

You know about her propensity to leave the house wearing two different shoes? Or in one case, no shoes at all?

Kentucky girls...

You know it is said that people in the tuck don't wear shoes. That stems from the post civil war days which found our state in a terrible condition. Famine, no money or jobs, and as a result in a lot of cases, no shoes!

And the bridge over the ohio between Northern KY and Cincinnati, OH has the north bound lane on the lower deck and the south bound lane on the top deck

Reason is, that the people heading south into Kentucky toss their shoes, and those heading back into Ohio are there to catch/use them ;-))   True story...or maybe not, but sounds about right

So Christmas my next to youngest grand daughter shows up at my front door, in the snow, mind you, with, yep, you guessed it...No shoes. Youngest one didn't have any either, but she was being carried.

Kentucky girls!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2017, 10:24:08 AM »
Dang, without all the usual bells and whistles most jokers bolt on to those I didn't think it was a rubi. with 4.11 and 33" you should be able to get your power back with a tuner, just need to re-set the shift points. AEV makes a good one.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

OldKooT

« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2017, 10:28:39 AM »
If ya take off the top and knock out the windshield, they pick up power noticeably. Per my hired hands claim anyway.

He is now swapping a Hemi into it because...I guess I over pay him.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2017, 10:29:47 AM »
How did you loose fingers Don? I only see the pre-ranger working.

Does look good though. Tell the pre-ranger he did a good job.

I do hear they like to bend the 44 axle tubes.
Well, it turns out I only thought I lost em'

I couldn't feel them for best part of a day due to handling tools and parts which were about 100 degrees below zero. Later in the night, they thawed out and I realized they were still installed and functional.
Any concerns on that rear track bar relocate bracket? It looks a bit “flimsy” from the angle those pictures were snapped. As you know there is a whole lot of force on that bracket, on my ome kit they dropped it on the frame side & it’s pretty beefy.
It seemed pretty stout to me.

Had the original attachment bolt with a crush sleeve on the inside, a top to bottom bolt, then the two wing bolts.

Hey, its a jeep, nothing on that thing all that substantial anyway!

Funny, I told her about how I was insulting the brand on my posts from last night and mentioned the eyelash thing

Her eyes lit up and she asked, "Can I get those? They look so nice for my girl's jeep."

Eyelashes on a jeep...What's next a frilly bonnet for an Abrams tank with a transvestite crew shooting lavender scented pink pixie dust? 

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2017, 10:31:49 AM »
If ya take off the top and knock out the windshield, they pick up power noticeably. Per my hired hands claim anyway.

He is now swapping a Hemi into it because...I guess I over pay him.
Now Norm, just stop it

I am so easily baited into these projects, and you know it!

But having said that, when/if the time comes, I could easily imagine doing that 2.8 liter Cummins 4 cyl diesel into it. (I'm not saying I always intended to do that or anything...)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2017, 10:32:42 AM »
Dang, without all the usual bells and whistles most jokers bolt on to those I didn't think it was a rubi. with 4.11 and 33" you should be able to get your power back with a tuner, just need to re-set the shift points. AEV makes a good one.
OK, then, off to AEV!

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2017, 10:33:22 AM »
I figured after that last guy the army would have the T crew covered.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2017, 10:40:46 AM »
I think they make stiffening tubes that go inside the axle housing.  Slide out the shafts, slide in the axle stiffener and reinstall the shafts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They make weld in tubes (internal) using plug welds for front as well as outer reinforcement tube weld on. The inner c’s bend too & they have gusset kits. It’s all just a bandaid, not that HH6 will probably bend any of it pounding pavement or a muddy dirt track to the hide. Not sure about rear upgrades as I don’t think they are as weak being non steer axle.
Well this jeep has one of several courses laid out in front of it

I have this other thing working, and if I ever take a salary from that, I plan to upgrade momma into a Mercedes SUV

If that happens I'll likely give the jeep to preranger number old. That will press him into forced labor carting preranger back and forth from football or wrestling practice and get the both ov them to youth group on Wednesdays without stressin' papa (Me).

If we decide to just kit the prerangers out with old chevy trucks, then we will turn the jeep into a wild lookin trail rig. Soft top, half/no doors and possibly that Cummins diesel swap engine. Of course I'll can those spindly axles and slide in a D60 front and a 14 bolt out back, some 35's or 37's and call it a day. Keep it down farm side and drive it around down there barefooted. SHould fit in as one of the locals pretty well.

If the jeep lets either of us down, then I'll park it on the range and shoot at it for the next year or so until I shred it...give it a proper warriors death. (Remember, once, a long time ago, those things carried honorable men of war about shashin' up a couple continents and bad people who made the mistake of messin' with us!)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2017, 10:41:28 AM »
I figured after that last guy the army would have the T crew covered.....
As much as I HATE to admit it, you're probably right!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2017, 12:03:56 PM »
Tate, Thanks for the technical advice. I went off and read about the tuners, and in particuliar how one needs to recalibrate the transmission to get shift points mo-betterer.

So, after looking at the AEV module which has a funky kind of DIP switch setup for each input, I went with the SuperChips flash cal.

I won't be going for more power from that well pump of an engine, but instead focusing on getting the trans and a host of other things back to normal. Perhaps I can even build in a bit more utility. I noticed it has some features allowing customization of the E-Locker thing which might help momma with snowing drivin'

Danke to the oracle of gear things (OGT)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2017, 12:06:38 PM »
Let me know how the Superchips works out for you. I like to have more referral resources at my disposal. AEV has been my go to due to their JK specific nature, but superchips has been a staple for all other things programmer related for years.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 28, 2017, 12:41:38 PM »
Let me know how the Superchips works out for you. I like to have more referral resources at my disposal. AEV has been my go to due to their JK specific nature, but superchips has been a staple for all other things programmer related for years.
Copy that, Wilco.

Superchips has a 2.25" color screen which you toggle through like the Diablo and others I have used over the years. If you watch the vid on the AEV programmer, the guy is using a knife point to move these really small dip switches. Now put that in the context of someone without perfect eyesight and I think you have the recipe for big trouble.

Super Chips avoids all that mess in my view

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 28, 2017, 03:29:34 PM »
You did just get your fingers and don't want to be stabbing them.  :popcorn:
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 28, 2017, 03:35:10 PM »
Copy that, Wilco.

Superchips has a 2.25" color screen which you toggle through like the Diablo and others I have used over the years. If you watch the vid on the AEV programmer, the guy is using a knife point to move these really small dip switches. Now put that in the context of someone without perfect eyesight and I think you have the recipe for big trouble.

Super Chips avoids all that mess in my view

Keep us updated on this superchips unit, I'm going to need to do something this year when the larger rubber gets installed. The motor could use a tweak or two too.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 28, 2017, 06:28:11 PM »
Chief, just got an email from Cummins, the 2.8 has free shipping through the end of the year!!! which as the subject states “FREE SHIPPING ENDS IN THREE DAYS”

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 28, 2017, 06:40:32 PM »
Chief, just got an email from Cummins, the 2.8 has free shipping through the end of the year!!! which as the subject states “FREE SHIPPING ENDS IN THREE DAYS”

stop encouraging him to ruin HH6 ride..................
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 28, 2017, 06:42:56 PM »

stop encouraging him to ruin HH6 ride..................

LOL! Wouldn’t it be an improvement? Considering from what I read around her seems like the original JK motor is about as good as a boat anchor..........

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2017, 07:08:39 PM »
I saw a weld on for the rear axle tubes, but on the outside.

Now HH needs more power first.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2017, 07:48:07 PM »
The 4bt would get 1/2 way installed and then it would get pushed into that black hole of a garage to collect space dust

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2017, 10:29:10 PM »
I feel like I'm in a movie, "The Return of the Tangent People!"

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2017, 10:47:23 PM »
I feel like I'm in a movie, "The Return of the Tangent People!"

That sounds more like an episode of the twilight zone......

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2017, 09:12:19 AM »
I feel like I'm in a movie, "The Return of the Tangent People!" "Ground Hogs Day"
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 02, 2018, 07:03:20 PM »
The programmer came in today

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 02, 2018, 07:05:35 PM »
First up was to register the product and update it from the SuperChips web site

Next was to take the pre-ranger to wrestling practice, so no updating of the heep just yet

It creates a nice little downloader on your desktop from which to grab and transfer updates

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 02, 2018, 09:05:55 PM »
teaser
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 02, 2018, 10:19:19 PM »
Loaded the adjusted tune

and

It works

Thanks, Tate for suggesting this in the first place (It was you, right??)

SHift points are where they should be which makes good use of the very little power this thing has

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2018, 10:56:11 AM »
Glad to hear Don, and looks like it was pretty easy to use as well?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 03, 2018, 11:04:17 AM »
Glad to hear Don, and looks like it was pretty easy to use as well?
Couple of selections, Tate, then "OK", wait and its all done

THanks for the tip

Now for a confession

We both hate those tires :-(

She tells me she wanted a more "Manley look" but is OK with the eyelash thing.

I mean, you seen my lady? Definitely a girly girl. A modelling agency chased after her once. That being said, she can easily pull off the "Girly" thing, but I have noticed that ladies like that often like to wear our burly clothes, drive our trucks, cruise around on tractors and other manly things like that

My first inclinition was to get the BFG AT's, but I was holding the budget line pretty close this year. Had that spendy "50th" in Nov, a wedding, a birth of another grandson, and so forth. (Read: Spendy!!! as in $$,$$$$.$$)

Wish I would have followed my gut instead of just the full street compromise.

Well, when I get rich in a few months (or years, or decades) I'll donate those to someone in need and hook that GJ right up

Keeping in mind it needs a diesel, a D60 and a 14 bolt and 8 lugs...

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2018, 11:30:33 AM »
And there it is. The good news is you've both come to admit that you have a problem which is the first step. Jeep-itis is highly infectious, costly, and incurable. Good luck to you sir.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2018, 12:29:20 PM »
And there it is. The good news is you've both come to admit that you have a problem which is the first step. Jeep-itis is highly infectious, costly, and incurable. Good luck to you sir.
Hopefully it will get stolen, burn up, sink in some shallow mud hole or similar and I'll be done with the thing. Build here an early Bob-tail Bronco, Scout, K5, D-90, or similar and forget we ever compromised to owning this girly jeep!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: January 03, 2018, 12:30:39 PM »
Nothing really to show of the programming except some screen shots

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 03, 2018, 12:31:59 PM »
^^^ Hot Rodding these days!

What a joke!

Indicative of what happened to men

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 03, 2018, 12:39:35 PM »
These days modifying your intake amounts to taking off the air filter and a couple air pipes...

It used to mean doing some real wrenching. Removing a cast iron or inefficient aluminum design and replacing with a new Edelbrock piece. Getting coolant spilled everywhere, scraping gaskets, torquing real bolts.

I recently noted that the wrists of these latest "pretty men" could be severely damaged (Slight pain the next morning) by torquing bolts over 25 ft lbs. I heard the severe soreness caused several of these FM (Feminine men) or girly men (GM) to miss the hole in their ears with the stud (Which they are not, actually more like drones in a bee hive) when putting in their earrings, causing a slight abrasion, or in severe cases an actual puncture!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Devastating, I know!

In one case there was a drop of blood seen which caused the unsuspecting and suffering GM to faint, falling on his man-bun and wrinkling that all up.

Guys these days...Just give me my dogs and bypass, please!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 03, 2018, 12:40:22 PM »
OK, I'm done...Off to buy some pressure treated 6 X 4's

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 03, 2018, 02:49:46 PM »
I came to this thread to check the tech update, must have missed that somewhere........... :facepalm:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 03, 2018, 08:19:17 PM »
Yea, I was into complain' this morgan, better now! ;-))

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2018, 08:06:50 PM »
Strange thing happened.

My wife complained that the brakes were grinding. So I pulled the front wheels off and discovered that at 71,000 miles on the odo the front pads looked like new...WHAT???

Then I pulled the rear wheels and darn, the pads were gone. Both solid rotors were destroyed and so were the pads.

So I installed new OEM pads and rotors, bled the brake lines and called that done.

While I was at it, I rotated the tires and changed her oil with a fresh pour of Mobil 1

I noted that the thing has been netting her 18.0 mpg.

Maybe I'll do something with this girly jeep sometime...???

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2018, 09:56:01 PM »
Does she slide into parking spaces backwards and slam on the brakes?  Sounds like they brakes are not proportioned right to me. 

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2018, 01:42:28 AM »
Pretty typical for Mopar nowadays. I'm seeing a lot of the same, even other brands. Chevy trucks also...basically 2 sets of rears to every one set of fronts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2018, 08:50:50 AM »
That’s bass ackwards

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2018, 09:13:56 AM »
Pretty typical for Mopar nowadays. I'm seeing a lot of the same, even other brands. Chevy trucks also...basically 2 sets of rears to every one set of fronts.

OK, that's new on me.

I am used to looking at the rear brakes when I change the pads on the front the second time.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2018, 10:28:46 AM »
Yeah, that's the way it used to be.

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2018, 05:24:50 PM »
Ken needs to elaborate?   Tec hasn’t changed? Physics still say the front brakes need the stopping weight

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2018, 07:42:35 PM »
Ken needs to elaborate?   Tec hasn’t changed? Physics still say the front brakes need the stopping weight

What’s to elaborate? It’s kinda the same theory as using your foot brake on your dirt bike. It would appear the manufacturers are proportioning them heavier to the rear. My thinking though it’s more the computer and stability control doing this....

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2018, 08:21:37 PM »

What’s to elaborate? It’s kinda the same theory as using your foot brake on your dirt bike. It would appear the manufacturers are proportioning them heavier to the rear. My thinking though it’s more the computer and stability control doing this....
And

The rear pads are tiny as compared to the fronts, maybe half the surface area. Also the rear rotors are solid and skinny, about 1/2" thick whereas the front brakes are still ventilated discs with much larger calipers.

I think the rears are just designed not to be able to stop very much...???

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2018, 09:27:09 PM »
Can you folks design a logical reason to why they would manufacture a change after some 20 or so years of doing things the same way.  Wife’s traverse is 130k miles original brakes and after reading this post I looked.  Hers are wearing the other direction. Fronts need to be replaced in a few 1000 miles backs look almost new

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »
Dave, my guess is the combination small rear pads and crappy rotor on the Jeep. Add in the computer controlled stability control on this jeeps (senses wheel spin & applies rear brakes because it’s in 2 wheel drive most of the time) then add in the fact the rear of a jk weighs nada and every time you turn a corner and gun it the wheels slip as one corner rear wheel lifts (very noticeable when you add a grizzly locker btw) so there you have it.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2018, 10:40:22 PM »
I hadn’t thought of the stability control kicking on and off braking the vehicle while turning corners because of th slipping.   Don. Show the wife how to turn that button off and see how the next 60k miles go.   

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2018, 10:41:41 PM »
I hadn’t thought of the stability control kicking on and off braking the vehicle while turning corners because of th slipping.   Don. Show the wife how to turn that button off and see how the next 60k miles go.   

Nada, turning it off is joke. You can’t disable it in 2wd

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2018, 11:54:26 PM »
You mean to tell me there isn’t an override like holding the button down? I think GM trucks you have to hold it down for four seconds and say GM is the best three times within six seconds.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal