Hello Guest

Author Topic: My New Land "Raptor Ridge"  (Read 93420 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: My New Land "Raptor Ridge"
« Reply #600 on: February 17, 2020, 02:10:28 PM »
Rebuilt the carb, still runs a tad rough, but runs better.

Has a bad front DS universal, looks like fun,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Going to clean up more, add led lights and a bar.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 03:51:37 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 22, 2020, 11:06:26 PM »
Did a vin search and ordered a carb kit for it, still runs rough. See I missed a circuit too after another video.

Put an LED in the main headlight, way better. Cant seem to find bulbs for the 2 other, may replace assm.

Tie rod ands are bad, amazon has been my friend here.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 07, 2020, 03:42:41 AM »
Heading up in the AM with DUG and to drop off the buckets after a good workout on them. Might bring Dug back to do the front rams.

Wish the drone was working. TX got dropped and haven't had time to send it in yet. Won't hook up to the phone.

Looks like the 3 point parts are in, pick em and hopefully they have my bolt sizes. Takes a little while to "run" to the store up there,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 10, 2020, 04:10:16 PM »
Finally got the blade on the Kub. Does a great job but does not level like I hoped. Guess I will need to drive backwards for that, smoothing the dips before I run through them. Learning curve.

First time with the 3 point since Kubota finally got all the parts. 3 of the 4 holes on the arms were not clean enough for the pins. Between a file and making a sanding wheel, they fit.

Neighbor came over and helped put it on the first time. Had 2 drill a couple holes for the stabilizer chains. Geometry is not dead on, but its works. I can see the need for the 3 point hitches after this.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 10, 2020, 04:20:18 PM »
Kub has plenty of power for this box, but adding hydro tilt would be great. Looking into that now as well as 3rd control for the front. Then I could use the claw on this.

Quick attach is nice, I have 2 bucket (1 toothed, 1 smooth), grapple and forks. Been kinda looking for a PTO mixer too.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 10, 2020, 05:36:06 PM »
Man you have a lot going on with that little tractor. Can you use the front bucket to help keep things kind of in line as you use the leveling box at the rear. Short wheel base is always a problem when trying to do anything.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 10, 2020, 08:47:28 PM »
Think it is just a matter of taking the time and doing it. Everytime I go up seems I get there later doing little things. Places don't open until 8-9, then doing it and the 45min trip out.

At least the weather is getting better and longer day now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 10, 2020, 10:03:25 PM »
Still thinking on what to build and how.

Something that has been brought up is building a shop with a living space. I like this idea as well getting a 2 for 1 in the deal. I can't build a shop without a home on the land. I can build a barn, but only if its used for ag of some type and be proved. Plus I'm not looking for a mansion, just a good 2 rooms to get away and play. I can always build nice home later if that comes up.

Steel would be the most cost efficient here and gets me the fire rating I need too for the area.

SO between getting well drilled, power and septic I have a few months to work on this. Would to get something up this year!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 11, 2020, 11:01:18 PM »
And with the buckets off, they both still fit in the cont.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 11:02:05 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 14, 2020, 02:19:03 AM »
Started a trailer mod thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://real-man-truckworks-and-survival.com/index.php?topic=4380.0

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 19, 2020, 03:37:45 PM »
So going with the plan of a shop/living space a local Arch. friend got me into contact with another Arch. up in Tahoe who designs around metal building.

They sent me a plan they have for a similar setup, but mine would be not be near this scale. Thinking of more 40x80 where this is 50x150.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 19, 2020, 04:52:11 PM »
But if you go 50x150, the designs already done!  What a deal!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 19, 2020, 04:55:06 PM »
But the building is at least double my budget and bigger than my pad!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 19, 2020, 05:14:35 PM »
But you have equipment to make pad larger. Budgets are made to be updated :beercheers: 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 19, 2020, 05:20:48 PM »
 If I win the lottery sure. Right now I want no payments.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 19, 2020, 05:59:07 PM »
Downsize to Sparks, sell the Sac home and use leftover monies to build shop/living quarters and  utilities up on Raptor Ridge. At some point you will need a place all on one level without stairs anyway. Tell the wife you are planning ahead, Buying her a nice single level place,  getting out of California, And you will store all the rolling stock up on the land so no clutter at the Homefront.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 19, 2020, 08:25:43 PM »
JR. You will want more shop for sure. Even if you make living quarters smaller. My biggest regret is not doing the big shop when we first bought this place.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 20, 2020, 02:46:54 AM »
Talked with the Arch today and told her what I want. Sent her some sketches and the pad plans, get a proposal nest week.

If I can keep the budget under control, I will have them build the shop and I will finish the living area. Similar to the above, but a smaller footprint.

Gave them a $100K budget for that. Well, septic, power is all separate.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 20, 2020, 07:02:05 PM »
Like Charles said, get a large enough shop built going in. Sure makes life easier as time goes on.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 20, 2020, 08:22:52 PM »
Downsize to Sparks, sell the Sac home and use leftover monies to build shop/living quarters and  utilities up on Raptor Ridge. At some point you will need a place all on one level without stairs anyway. Tell the wife you are planning ahead, Buying her a nice single level place,  getting out of California, And you will store all the rolling stock up on the land so no clutter at the Homefront.
I'd recommend he just abandon the other property. Doesn't seem like he gets along with his wife, so just bug out with what ya need and forget the payments!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 20, 2020, 10:58:21 PM »
She is invited, always has been.  There are terms and walking away from house on ca is up to them.

Kids have 4 to 5 years left for school. I have 529 for all

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 22, 2020, 04:36:00 PM »
Tried to setup a fuel station but not really working. Need flexible hose vs the garden hose I had.

Need 30-55 gallon drums, these at 15 just don't cut it. Good for refilling a lager one though.

Kub was real trooper. Worked like a horse once I got backhoe back on. What a pain that was, bent the crud out of the PO guard. Box blade works OK, but having issues keeping whoops out of the cut.

It was almost dark when I started working again but still got about 6ft cut.

Missed the bad weather, but it was threating all day, 6 inches snow earlier this week
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:38:55 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 22, 2020, 04:43:07 PM »
I am really jazzed about the new building, was told will have a proposal Monday.

Even if this does not work, think building a shop with a mobile in front and a walkway would be a good option.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 22, 2020, 10:25:36 PM »
I am really jazzed about the new building, was told will have a proposal Monday.

Even if this does not work, think building a shop with a mobile in front and a walkway would be a good option.
That building is the key to blowing out that place
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 24, 2020, 03:37:53 AM »
So the 15 gal tanks are not working, but I have an option. I have two 50 gal water tanks for an RV I got new a few years back, 1 should work great once I build a rack. Could parts with the other if someone needs it for a project.

Haven't heard from the arch yet, but not a big deal.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: March 28, 2020, 12:52:10 AM »
Neighbor finished my well septic plans, will get them next week. Hopefully early enough to get back into town and submit.

Talked to the arch again, need to clear a few things up with the contract, IE will my budget work.

They are looking at a 4k workshop with 1200sf living area.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: March 28, 2020, 01:35:51 AM »
A little more on this. I have decided to rotate the pad more n/s and turn the road in a little early.

Leaves about 50ft of good cutting to do. Kub can do it, but slow. Neighbor who helped with the well plans has a larger tractor and is going to help me cut that section out. Orange lines are where I cut in early and the other line is where I'm at. You can see it is getting into the hillside there much more.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: March 31, 2020, 11:24:37 PM »
Still working on how much with the arch/metal people. Going slow but its going.

Was going to apply for well this Friday but all the offices are closed. Seeing if on line works but running into walls.

Bought a lift table from HF. Made a shorter lift peddle for it since the stock hung way out there. Got the 1500# model that lifts the quad fine.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: March 31, 2020, 11:32:05 PM »
Yep, garage is still a mess. I have run out of places to store things even after moving a few large items outside under a canopy.

Put anchors in the garage floor for a new HF bender. Also using for my vise.

Got some new/old tires for the quad. The mud tires were wide and not really suited to my terrain. Found a used set for the rear with about 80% tread on 12in rims (stocks 10). Got a new set front tires with used rims, all in about $250 and I think I can recoup at least half of that selling the mud tires.

Now I have 12in front and rear, narrower track and better traction.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: April 01, 2020, 12:18:57 AM »
Those tires are a good tire from my experience, they soft enough for large rocks but not so small you dig holes in sand. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: April 10, 2020, 12:25:45 AM »
Well, couple updates after spending last weekend up there. With the kids out of school, hopefully even more time now.

Only got about 15-20 feet of road cut this time out. Hardest part so far and got this little rock in the way for now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: April 10, 2020, 12:30:04 AM »
Weather is easing up a little. Was still cold but not bad all, good gloves (not work gloves) made a big diff.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: April 10, 2020, 12:36:13 AM »
Rearranged things and found I can get both tractors in the container with buckets on and kub backed in with hoe down the center. May have to take the buckets off to get the quad in there.

Youngest is working on a 82 Honda trail 70 to bring up also. Same thing I learned on, but I think me real bike days are limited.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: April 10, 2020, 12:41:13 AM »
Signing with the Arch for the building. Looks might it may run more than I wanted, we will see. But I get a shop and place to stay!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: April 10, 2020, 12:52:57 AM »
Those trail 70’s are pretty neat bikes and hold value if well preserved

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: April 10, 2020, 02:00:06 AM »
Those trail 70’s are pretty neat bikes and hold value if well preserved

Yep, not as good as the original with the fold down bars. Great little machines though. It needs a muffler and the carb done is all, rode it around the backyard when I got it.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: April 10, 2020, 07:11:38 AM »
Looking at your fuel tank there. It like what i use for water. Put a schrader valve in the top bung and charge it with air. You will fill way faster. I can push water through a 50 ft garden hose effortlessly.  I found that gravity feed just don't work. The little compressor in the picture didn't last long. You need a real compressor.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 07:13:26 AM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: April 10, 2020, 07:37:36 AM »
Rearranged things and found I can get both tractors in the container with buckets on and kub backed in with hoe down the center. May have to take the buckets off to get the quad in there.

Youngest is working on a 82 Honda trail 70 to bring up also. Same thing I learned on, but I think me real bike days are limited.
Brings back some memories

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: April 10, 2020, 02:04:07 PM »
So far siphon and gravity is working OK. I like the pressure idea though and got a little 12v pump too.

Probably just grab a 55gal drum and build a stand for it and fill it with the 15gal cans.

Going though about 15gal a day but jerry cans are a pain.

Something I got from my father on that bike, "if there is a problem, you just stand up"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: April 10, 2020, 05:11:35 PM »
It’s so much easier spending other people’s money.

https://www.milwaukeetool.com/Products/Power-Tools/Plumbing-Installation/Transfer-Pumps/2771-20

The guys at work talked me into a couple of these.
Apparently they are the real deal.
Now I want one for pumping diesel at the cabin.

They claim to be not rated for that, but they did oil just fine I was told.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: April 10, 2020, 10:22:44 PM »
So far the pricing on the buildings are killing me. I mean a basic steel building is around $6-8sf in my area talking to a company and using calcs.

I just got a quote for $16, not including setup. And they want the same for that. So 120K just for the built structure, no foundation!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: April 10, 2020, 10:55:57 PM »
Yeah. So some Google fu and you’ll find new building ordered but not picked up that you can get for a discount. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: April 10, 2020, 11:38:32 PM »
Think that's where I'm heading. Get a return or RTG kit and build from there vs custom.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: April 11, 2020, 07:36:07 AM »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: April 11, 2020, 07:54:18 PM »
Thx, seen those but not for my build, extra storage maybe and not hard to put up.

Was going to sign with the $$$ arch but not sure now. Looking at kits for around $40k with slab eng done then add the living space to it.

I did sign this AM. The company was using full custom building, not anyones kit. Plus they spected a standup roof (raised seams) vs screws.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 04:35:31 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: April 21, 2020, 03:51:31 PM »
Spent the last weekend up there but only got about 10ft of road cut. Got that one big rock in the way and a demo hammer did little to it. Between the altitude (5142) I am supposed to make the pad at and the road, I have 60ft to go. Old HF hammer does a little better than the new Buaer.

Was dumping all the dirt along side the road to move it to the pad, but ran out of room. So I made that into a ramp and started filling the south end. Worked well into the night (led lightbar is great) and then I slid off the side of the ramp and almost rolled it. Was teetering until I shoved it down the side (4ft) finding flat ground. These tires almost dig in too good, really thinking about OOT tracks (gehl thread)   

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 21, 2020, 03:55:46 PM »
Can't wait to get the basic pad cut so I can get the TH up here for cooking/sleeping and toilet use. I slapped this together for now since it is just me 90% of the time.

Also did a little decorating in the container.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 21, 2020, 09:07:32 PM »
Jr, you might look into a permit for some explosives to deal with the rocks.  When I lived in Little Rock the landscapers carried 1/4 sticks and would drill and blast even in residential areas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 21, 2020, 09:28:50 PM »
Jr, you might look into a permit for some explosives to deal with the rocks.  When I lived in Little Rock the landscapers carried 1/4 sticks and would drill and blast even in residential areas

This might be a second choice... Amazon has it:

https://youtu.be/7cvcnkzK8Jk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 21, 2020, 09:43:22 PM »
Well that’s no fun.....

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal