Hello Guest

Author Topic: My New Land "Raptor Ridge"  (Read 92798 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Re: My New Land "Raptor Ridge"
« Reply #800 on: July 06, 2020, 08:33:19 PM »
That’s not a bad price. Does zero off-road!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: July 06, 2020, 08:54:58 PM »
That’s not a bad price. Does zero off-road!!

Well, I figure during the build and afterword all the little things needing done. 21ft ceiling. Was watching a 4x4 that was beat all to heck and was still $2500. Was a hair to soon to pull the trigger then too.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: July 06, 2020, 11:43:38 PM »
I'll tell you this with all due respect JR...you Don't want to build a shop that size yourself. I bailed on my brother after getting the frame up. (90x35)
He bought a scissor lift also. Didn't work for putting up the side panels ..soft dirt.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: July 07, 2020, 12:15:12 AM »
Believe me, I want to have it built for me. I know that won't work outside unless there is pavement, but it would be so handy inside later.

Always guys, great input.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: July 07, 2020, 05:51:53 AM »
JR I think we are a lot a like. I’d save the money and built it myself too.  Just rent a good telehandler for a week. Getting the columns up is the hardest part. And maybe get a safety harness for that high over concrete. If they are embedding studs in the concrete for the columns make double sure they get them placed right or you’ll spend all day reworking the base plates on your columns. Or spec your columns without holes and drill them on site.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: July 07, 2020, 08:10:29 AM »
You can always drill and epoxy the anchor bolts instead of imbedding in concrete.   Use all thread and good epoxy and it will be plenty strong.  Saves a lot in making sure they are placed correctly before concrete and then worrying about not messing them up during placement.  Use a extended fork lift and jib for setting them.  You could rent other equipment as you go and if you have a farm or business, write off the rental maybe.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: July 07, 2020, 09:14:06 AM »
I don’t think jr is building this himself, he is thinking for electrical and gas lines and doing that stuff himself off this little lift. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: July 07, 2020, 09:50:02 AM »
Oh, I would love to build this myself. But with travel and really being a 2-3 man job for much of it it would take me months. I want this dried in this year, living area to come as I can build it. Only looking at about 900sf and the outside is finished.

Studs are embeded. Having the slab thickened 10 ft in along both walls for future building. Slab and build cost are the question now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: July 07, 2020, 08:56:27 PM »
Well, lifts all went for north of 2k, I was out.

Anyway, got this front bumper for the Sportsman. $100 with shipping, bolt on with winch mount.

Still have a Warn 4500 with synthetic rope that will fit nice.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 08:58:23 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: July 09, 2020, 06:58:10 PM »
Heading up this weekend again. Going to do some water stuff, like a 50gal barrel with solar heating. Just picked up 8 2x12 solar panels, will use I up there.

Mount the barrel with a solar pool panel. I have a DC motor that draws nothing and will hook to a small solar panel, on with the sun, off at night but warm-hot water for end of day. Weld some little tabs on the container to hold it all down. Only issue I haven't figured is fill the tank once setup? I have a couple 12v pumps, may just use that with a vent line. 50gal should last weeks, fill a little each time.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: July 12, 2020, 11:16:29 AM »
Really got nothing major done but cleaning the container up. I need water and a dozer for compaction. N\W corner is where all the work is, then widen the road.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: July 24, 2020, 01:28:08 AM »
Well looks like another month. They are booked solid and I am not a priority. Great time to drill too. Not a wet winter and getting near and of the summer.

Went up last weekend with a friend to pickup a car, just a day trip. He had a full size jackhammer I get to use this weekend for that rock sticking up in the road.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: July 26, 2020, 05:38:00 PM »
Got a couple things done this time. One was a nasty rock in the road. Talked about it before some, dynomite would have been easier for sure.

I took the hard way and used a demo hammer. This thing had to be 100# if it was anything. Used 110ac so the Gen was pulled out.

Troybuilt 5500 gasser I got as a return at Lowes at least 10 years ago. Started 1st pull, runs great, but only on choke.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:51:13 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: July 26, 2020, 05:45:08 PM »
Yep, it was a real pain. Not just a bump but a nice point to ruin your day if you got it.

Was about 2 hours of work, and it was work with that monster. Got it stuck twice and the Kub did not pull it out. Has to resort to taking the point off and working it with the tractor.

Finally it broke loose. I was wasted being a young dude and made dinner (hot links) drinking copious amounts of water and ice tea.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: July 26, 2020, 05:49:29 PM »
I see my new LG phone only likes pics in the landscape mode  :rolleyes:

Got the big chunk moved and added a little fill and the road looked much better. Still needs to be another foot wider is all with the banks sloped more.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: July 26, 2020, 06:22:40 PM »
Wow. That must have been a royal pain.  Might have been easier to phone in an air strike then fill in the crater.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: July 26, 2020, 06:28:28 PM »
To much fire danger, but I like it. Anymore of this and I may rent an attachment.

Pad is compacting really well and most of the fill is not where the building is going. It rains there every few days. When I was getting some fill you can see the moisture in the ground.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: July 26, 2020, 07:18:48 PM »
Next I had to remove a tree for the pad. I had started to tear it down with the kub and its thumb, but that got bent and not working now.

I picked up a Dewalt XR 20v chainsaw a few weeks ago which was about to prove itself. The bar is a little short at 12in, but it was enough for about anything I have up here.

I need to cut almost 10' under where this tree is. Looks like a little rock there, but hopefully not to bad.

1st 4amp battery got everything but 2 limbs. Grabbed a couple more and finished it off. Got lucky and only had to dig out 2 roots and the stump came out in big chunks. Now sits on the hill until I can have a nice burn up here. More than likely after I have water and it is wetter.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: July 26, 2020, 07:22:40 PM »
I have used the 20v saw next to the 60v and it’s about two batteries to one.    The 20v runs great and not a single bit ashamed to have it next to the gas stihl

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: July 26, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »
Is that mesquite wood jr or shiff sage brush?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 26, 2020, 08:32:24 PM »
Junipers, lots of em!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 26, 2020, 11:15:17 PM »
Best firewood there is.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: July 28, 2020, 05:33:51 PM »
Was told about that before, might try next time. Need to get a SDS bit though.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: July 30, 2020, 03:07:41 PM »
Grr, was just told I am 2 more months out for the well. May look for an alternative.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #825 on: July 30, 2020, 09:39:49 PM »
Same in Idaho. There's a lot of drilling going on.
Not sure if I mentioned this but I was waiting for my neighbor (the one we just ran power to) to get their well drilled, so I would have a rough idea on depth and cost, since they are the same elevation as me, and about 600ft away.
 The neighbor behind us, farther up the mountain hit 25gpm at 225ft., so I was optimistic.

Well, just talked to them and they hit water at 740ft and only 8.5gpm.
....$25 grand. Would've been 30k but didn't have to have a liner because it was solid rock. I was trying to save up 10 grand but now it's gonna take longer. Lol

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: July 30, 2020, 09:46:22 PM »
Weird Ken. You may hit water at a different depth just a few feet away. But it may be shallower ...or deeper

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 30, 2020, 10:00:05 PM »
Well (pun) I am hoping for way less than 600'. Closest nieghbor went 600', he is about 75' higher than me, but water came up to 200'. Other neighbor is 400' with water about 200' at about the same level. They are both on hills with drop offs, I am in a bowl so hoping for the best. Plus I see moisture just digging a few inches for my fill. 10-15gpm is normal and why I want a holding tank.

600' is worked into the budget, but not the pump. Want to see how deep. Solar is about 1/2 the price but how deep affects that.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 10:09:16 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: August 10, 2020, 12:19:18 AM »
Had a decent weekend up at the Ridge. Cept I ran over my water bottle. Just a wally special but it works great!

Also got this nice little (26qt) fridge for the trips. I was going through 3+ bags of ice and had to plan when to get them. I fill it, put a small bag of ice in it, some teas, gatoraid and food. Even has a small ice tray if needed. Runs on 12v or 110 but seems to go into limp when the truck hasn't run for a day. I just put it in the cont using the solar/deep cycles and it works great, neve an issue at 33F for 2-3 days. Was just $180 on amazon and has bluetooth. I won't use it though as they want location updates?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: August 10, 2020, 12:31:30 AM »
Pad is starting to look like, well a pad! Have about 40ft in the n/w corner, but lots of digging to go. About 10ft at the corner, hopefully not to much rock.

Guy who was going to help wants water, that is still 2 months off right now. That is for just the well, not the pump. For the interm I am probably going to get a 2500gal tank and place it on the hill (planned anyway) I will get a few hundred feet of hose and the neighbor will fill as needed. Just hosing it down for the dust will be a big help too as well as compacting it. Looks like I am getting rain every week, not much but washes all the tracks away.

There was this little glimps of rain as I looked at the great sunset.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: August 10, 2020, 12:35:12 AM »
Both tractors ran great, but the quad will be nice. Have enough room for it if I drop the bucket.

This is how I cram all the stuff in the cont before I park the tractors. Back in the hoe and the bucket goes into the center.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: August 10, 2020, 07:06:06 AM »
Looking good. Nice and organized!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: August 10, 2020, 09:20:46 AM »
Are you sure it’s rain and not wind blown?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: August 10, 2020, 02:16:18 PM »
Organized? Some, that is mostly for "stow" there. Gets spread out a lot when I'm in there. All the cooler have food in them. It was all laying around just a couple weeks ago.

Nope, its rain. Get it now and then when I am there. Just wish it was a little more is all.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:15:26 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: August 11, 2020, 11:54:40 PM »
Heading up to Ukiah tomorrow to get a water tank. In stock tanks for just over $900 for a 2 hour drive.

After a few calls to Reno and checking TSC locally they were running $1400 for 2500 gal, now just showing 3k for $1700

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: August 13, 2020, 12:24:28 AM »
Found one about 2 hours up the freeway in Anderson. $999, no tax (out of state use). 2600gal. Was a turd pulling it back. Is under 400# but is like a sail in the trailer. Might just haul it up on friday to get it gone or could leave it on the trailer for the week stored. Still need to figure fittings and supply.

Measured and I need about 1000 feet in hose for this setup (850 as the crow flies). Thinking of using drip poly or PVC. Regular hose would run about $500. 5/8 Poly is about $100 for 1000ft in 500 ft rolls. 3/4 PVC is better and would run about $250 and then has to be glued and then what as this temp?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: August 14, 2020, 12:29:58 AM »
The poly should hold up better to freezing than pvc. If the pvc splits from freezing it goes the whole 20 ft stick at least. The poly just might swell up and not even rupture.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: August 14, 2020, 01:27:07 AM »
Hopefully it is not out that long. Plus it is made for weather, but I doubt freezing.

Heading up in the AM with the tank and a IBC. Besides dropping them off finding a spot for the tank would be nice. High as I can get but not sticking above the hill.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: August 15, 2020, 04:53:23 PM »
Hauling this thing was like having a sail behind me. Barely 12mpg going up  :tongue:

Dumped it off along with a 250gal tote. Will do final placement hopefully next trip and run the line to my neighbor for filling.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: August 17, 2020, 12:48:18 AM »
Best placement with access I have found is about 60' above the pad. Would be just on my side of the hill with the top below the crest. Looking at water level monitors and hose now.

I got a couple hundred 3/4 of hose from HF this weekend. Can always use them but getting the full 1000' ft like that is pricey for a temp use system. Best I have found is this so far. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000H5WQI2/?coliid=I3LI84NP2LES6C&colid=1Z3GNP120A3PC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Some water level monitors are nuts $$$, been looing at this right now; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Water-Tank-Liquid-Level-Meter-Monitor-with-Temperature-Sensor-100m/164302991752

Open to idea guys of course.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: August 17, 2020, 01:03:34 AM »
Quick sketch for tank. This location is pretty good access from the east side of the prop or going around above the pad.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: August 20, 2020, 03:48:32 AM »
Picked up 1000' of 3/4 irrigation line, 3/4 hose adapters, couple of splices for $100. They said it is good for standard pressure use, but not for holding that pressure. So tank filling should be a non issue. Good thing I checked the hose though, they had given me a 500' spool at first. 150mi away is not the place to find out.

Going to run a 2" line from the tank down to the pad for pressure with a valve at the tank. Then a regular 3/4 hose from there for use. Fill is 1.5", but will run a 90 down to a 3/4 with another 90 as not to stress the long line.

Hopefully this weekend as school is canceled. That and more or less finish the pad and start using the water to compact more.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: August 23, 2020, 04:26:15 PM »
Thought I would get away from all the smoke this weekend, but no. Almost as bad with a fire up north.

Got a pad roughed out for the tank. Getting it up there will be a 2 man job.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: August 23, 2020, 04:29:06 PM »
Cut a ATV trail right off my road in so I don't have to go around the hill everytime.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: August 23, 2020, 04:38:24 PM »
Pad is going OK, here is a view from the where the tank is. N/E, S/W and S/E corners are clear. I also need to build some berms and trench a little to keep water from running onto the pad. North side is the biggest deal, that has to be diverted down the east side where the natural runoff is.

About 25% more to clear, but it is the hardest area to cut out. About 10' at the n/w corner and it looks like rocks galore.  I may need something a little heavier for this just to get it knocked down.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: August 23, 2020, 05:09:32 PM »
Little more of what I have to do and where I am. Dug most of the perk test ditch and shows the runoff. Started berm on the north side.

The atv trail go almost right up to where I took the picture.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 05:10:06 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: August 27, 2020, 02:22:50 AM »
Saw a truck on my cam yesterday, it was the well company. They said they could drill in a week, but needed the pad to be 100x150 for a larger rig. Had to say no way to do that.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: August 28, 2020, 11:07:20 PM »
Plans are about done, few little changes to go. Already added a sink in the laundry room and added several barn doors.

I reversed the master toilet and shower so I can have a bigger shower.

Also think I will go with stamped concrete for the patio.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: August 28, 2020, 11:41:31 PM »
I have stamped concrete, not sure I’d do it again. The lines fills up with junk and make it look dirty.
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: August 29, 2020, 12:04:08 AM »
Plans are about done, few little changes to go. Already added a sink in the laundry room and added several barn doors.

I reversed the master toilet and shower so I can have a bigger shower.

Also think I will go with stamped concrete for the patio.
Stop for the love.   The double sink is stupid.  Every wife wants a double sink no darn reason.    How often do you use the bathroom together?   You poop and she is nowhere near it.   She poops and again you are no we’re near it

Single sink is all that is required save 500 and dump the double sink

Move toilet to sink cabinet side build a pricey wall and make the shower big.  Shower large enough you can bend over and wash them ol feet with out hitting your head on the wall

You guy have no idea how many times a week I tell customers double sinks are such a waste of space, money, time, function

Dumb

Rant over

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal