Hello Guest

Author Topic: Can you shoot well? You could win $500k  (Read 1850 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Can you shoot well? You could win $500k
« on: June 17, 2020, 10:49:10 AM »
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
Re: Can you shoot well? You could win $500k
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 12:36:50 PM »
Do it!!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 11:16:49 PM »
Lol, I’m a bit rusty and this is navigation, field craft, and more.  Not just shooting.  Plus you have to pay for entry fees to other shoots and travel ,lodging etc.  Probably a $35k endeavor.  That’s going to bring out some real hard core people. Doubt a recreational shooter will even come close.  Now if we could recruit someone and pay the entry fee for a cut of the winnings.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 02:01:18 PM »
Tex, have you heard of the Mammoth Sniper Challenge?  I would like to do it some year.  Maybe once the kids get a bit older and I could possibly dedicate more time for training but before I get to old, slow and soar.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 06:18:51 PM »
I'm "sore" just reading about the cost.

Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 02:08:24 PM »
TRN or anyone else that is interested in long distance shooting.

Has anyone heard of a Tuner Brake? Any idea how they work? I have never seen anything like this.  :popcorn:

"Everything you need to know about ECTuner Brake"
https://youtu.be/ergyzPBVTWc

"Tuning AR10 with EC Tuner brake"
https://youtu.be/V1IIUqdUvxM

Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 02:24:45 PM »
Tuners like this really aren't a new thing.  They have been fairly common in 22 rimfire rifles in the past and are becoming more popular for center fire rifles recently in certain groups. 

When a round is fired it makes the barrel vibrate.  That vibration makes the barrel move in all directions, up/ down, left/right, but also forward and back.  Most people do not think about the forward and back vibration or stretch of the barrel.  This is also the movement that can affect the accuracy the most.  The vibration starts at the action, travels down the barrel and then returns back to the action.  This vibration is essentially stretching the barrel material locally at that point in the barrel.  When the barrel is stretched, it also makes the bore diameter slightly smaller at that point.  A change in the bore diameter when the bullet exits will increase group sizes.

When developing a load you will see accuracy changes as you increase powder. What you are seeing is the affect this vibration has on accuracy.  This vibration moves the length of the barrel several times prior to the bullet leaving the end of the barrel.  By adjusting the powder charge I am changing where that vibration is when the bullet leaves the barrel.  Ideally the vibration would be nearest the action and away from the barrel.

A tuner is making the same adjustment.  It is essentially a mass on the end of the barrel that can be screwed in and out.  The movement of the mass changes the harmonics of the barrel and how quickly that vibration moves from the action to the end of the barrel and back. 

The issue in the past with tuners, is that there was never a clean method to get both a tuner and brake for the precision rifle shooters.  In the last year or so, several companies have developed solutions similar to this where a tuner and a muzzle brake can be used together without significantly increasing the length of the rifle.  A couple of the guys I shoot with have a different version of this.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 02:27:44 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 05:42:46 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the detailed information.

I appreciate the response.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mike

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 06:02:31 PM »
Yes, good info. Thx
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 08:51:01 PM »
Interesting.  Not familiar with it but is it really a band aid for a poorly built rifle?  I mean my GAP 308 shoots five in a dime at 100 with it without a can.  Not sure how to improve on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 10:35:10 PM »
If you mount the rifle directly to the target, you might get a smaller hole, but the usability goes waaaayy down.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 08:31:59 AM »
Interesting.  Not familiar with it but is it really a band aid for a poorly built rifle?  I mean my GAP 308 shoots five in a dime at 100 with it without a can.  Not sure how to improve on that.

Up until most recently this was primarily used for 22LR where you can't do load development to perfect a load.  Those guys typically buy a bunch of different lots of ammo, shoot it to determine which lot shot best, and then buy as much of that lot as they can.

Also, this isn't going to turn a 1.5 MOA group into a sub .5 MOA group.  This is turning a 3/4 MOA group into a 1/2 MOA or similar type situation normally. This doesn't completely eliminate the need to do load development.  I think the most common use in the PRS type shooting is to keep a load accurate as you shoot a barrel out instead of doing load development again/ chasing the lands.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 03:17:07 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2021, 11:03:36 AM »
Yep. After watching several of his video's he seems to imply that you could use the same barrel / ECTuner combo and then depending on which ammo you wanted to use you could look at your pre identified setting, switch to the matching setting to ammo and then achieve improved groups.

He always promotes Brux barrels so not sure how good they are that he is using.

Still curious how it actually mechanically works. Does it have an oblong hole and as you twist it moving from setting 1 to 2 it rotates that hole applying more pressure to one side rather than the other?

Not like I will ever use one. Just curious about the engineering.

:popcorn:

Mike

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 12:12:15 PM »
I've watched a couple of Cortina's videos and agree with most of what he says.  There are some guys putting videos out there that are just ridiculous.

The tuner itself is just a mass.  Screwing it in and out changes the mass properties and harmonics of the barrel so it vibrates different.  Picture the barrel as a tuning fork.  When the round is fired it makes the barrel vibrate similar to how striking a tuning for makes it vibrate.  Changing the mass of the tuning for changes the frequency at which the fork vibrates. In a similar manner, adding the tuner, and screwing it in and out changes the frequency at which the barrel vibrates when the round is fired. The tuner is adjusted to change the frequency of the barrel to better match with a frequency that fits the ammo better.  It does not make contact with the bullet in any way.  The ID of the hole going through it should be a circle and concentric with the bore of the barrel.

Brux barrels are good. I'm in WI and live within about a 2 hour drive of a lot of the big barrel manufacturers.  The organization I shoot with the most named their 2 day national match the "Barrel Maker Classic" and 7 local barrel manufacturers are some of the main sponsors for the match. Bartlien, Krieger, Criterion, Mulleroworks, Rock Creek and Brux. A lot of guys shoot Bartlien barrels.  Krieger is also very popular.  I generally go with Rock Creek but that is mostly because I have a bit more of a personal relationship with a guy from their then I do a couple of the other manufacturers.  All of them are good.  It is possible to get a bad barrel from any of them on occasion.  A lot of what makes a barrel accurate is how the gunsmith chambers it.  A good gunsmith will tell you they can identify a bad barrel when it is chambered.

https://prschallenge.com/barrel-maker-classic/
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:25:27 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 02:27:07 PM »
That makes total sense. Much better than the rabbit trail I was following.

The Barrel Maker Classic sounds like a great event. I did check the scoreboards and couldn't find any Bear reference but I'm sure you hold your own.

Thanks again for taking the time to spell all of this out!

:likebutton: :likebutton: :likebutton:
Mike

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 07:14:34 PM »
I'm in WI and live within about a 2 hour drive of a lot of the big barrel manufacturers.  The organization I shoot with the most named their 2 day national match the "Barrel Maker Classic" and 7 local barrel manufacturers are some of the main sponsors for the match. Bartlien, Krieger, Criterion, Mulleroworks, Rock Creek and Brux. A lot of guys shoot Bartlien barrels.  Krieger is also very popular.  I generally go with Rock Creek but that is mostly because I have a bit more of a personal relationship with a guy from their then I do a couple of the other manufacturers.  All of them are good.  It is possible to get a bad barrel from any of them on occasion.  A lot of what makes a barrel accurate is how the gunsmith chambers it.  A good gunsmith will tell you they can identify a bad barrel when it is chambered.

https://prschallenge.com/barrel-maker-classic/

Wait, wait, wait... hold up. Why haven't I heard of this?
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 09:32:43 PM »
Bobby you should come out and shot a match some time.  I am hosting a couple matches this year that I won't be able to shoot in; would be more then happy to lend you my rifle, ammo, gear etc...  Also, if you sign up and shoot a WPRSC match they have a very nice loaner rifle, they let you shoot if it's your first match.  It's a lot of fun with an awesome group of guys.  All these matches are open to the public and you can come spectate if you want. 
I should have a new scope for my rifle by the end of the month hopefully. When it comes in I will be moving the current scope on top if my 22LR trainer permanently. Then I will be setup to shoot in the backyard any time I want to.  You're welcome to come out and plink with me anytime there too, atleast until the crops get planted and start coming up.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:03:42 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 11:47:04 PM »
Bobby you should come out and shot a match some time.  I am hosting a couple matches this year that I won't be able to shoot in; would be more then happy to lend you my rifle, ammo, gear etc...  Also, if you sign up and shoot a WPRSC match they have a very nice loaner rifle, they let you shoot if it's your first match.  It's a lot of fun with an awesome group of guys.  All these matches are open to the public and you can come spectate if you want.

The challenge has been laid out
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 09:02:33 AM »
More of an invitation then a challenge.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 08:38:12 PM »
I should have a new scope for my rifle by the end of the month hopefully. When it comes in I will be moving the current scope on top if my 22LR trainer permanently. Then I will be setup to shoot in the backyard any time I want to.  You're welcome to come out and plink with me anytime there too, atleast until the crops get planted and start coming up.

I appreciate the offer, I'll have to send you a PM. With my crazy work schedule I'll have to see how it all turns out. I never really liked competition shooting, but the last couple years I've been thinking about giving it a try. I don't wanna use up your ammo, especially since it's sorta slim pickings out there.

The challenge has been laid out

Sometimes you gotta accept.

More of an invitation then a challenge.

I'll send you a PM, and we'll figure something out. I appreciate the offer.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal