WEAPONS > Firearms

My new Marlin

(1/4) > >>

Flyin6:
I was just given a new Marlin model 1895 in 45-70 for my birthday which is coming up in a couple weeks.

Flyin6:
It has a pretty cool story associated with it.

My oldest son purchased it for me. He wanted to mark a significant birthday and to say thanks for all the years of military service and sacrifice. I am deeply touched and honored by his gesture.

He told me on the phone that he vividly remembers me talking about that rifle 40 years ago and how I wanted one. I have looked for one over the years, always seeming to come up short.

I had my eye on a stainless trapper with a shorter barrel but I like this one more. THe extra round (6) is nice to have.

I just love how Marlin builds that laminated black stained walnut stock and how good the tooling and stainless steel looks. It is a lifetime gun for sure and after my passing it will return to him for the remainder of his lifetime, a keepsake from dad.

I just love it!

Flyin6:
Do I look happy or what??

Flyin6:
So right out of the gate, I ordered a black leather sling for it that has loops for additional cartridges and 100 rounds of ammo. Those 100 rounds cost me $250!!!!!!!!!!!

Next is possibly a reflex sight or optic of some sort.

For the fast-action bear attack scenario, I was thinking of an EOTec or an ACOG. For deer hunting, I was thinking of one of those low-power SIG 1X6 X24 X30mm tube on a QD mount.

This thing is not a long-range weapon and I'll keep shots to 100 meters or less, so a low magnification would work for whitetails pretty well.

I picked up some 325 gr, 350 gr, and 405 gr cartridges. The 405 are hard-cast bear rounds that marry up well with the .44 magnum I have yet to purchase.

Suggestions for optics/ sights??

stlaser:
I wish mine had the mitten lever handle….

I had a nice 3x9 stainless scope on mine. When we started camping in bear country I took it off. Figured I’m faster with irons. My 2 cents.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version