Hello Guest

Author Topic: New motor for the seahawk boat...  (Read 3964 times)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
New motor for the seahawk boat...
« on: January 23, 2018, 01:50:02 PM »
Not unlike my Seahawks, my 1st season of boating started off with a flair and flash, and ending in a sputtering disaster. Let me catch you up:
The flapper valve on the bilge failed, allowing water to siphon in through the bilge line. the bilge is not automatic and I thought running it all the time when it was dry would kill the motor. Simple math: I swamped the engine compartment, choked out the carb and had to be towed back. 1 week later the starter failed, and the dual battery selector switch corroded beyond cleaning. both have been replaced, carb tuned up etc. and we were seemingly back on track.

Fast forward to the end of the summer, the labor day weekend to be exact. 15kt headwinds and strong current at the Coupeville wharf, and I'm not at all worried; they have a really great dockhand there, Lawrence, and he can really thread the needle when bringing us in. About 15ft out, I'm having to give it a little throttle to compete with the wind and current, and it suddenly cuts out. Now I'm losing it because I'm heading straight towards a $5mil wooden sailing yacht. I throw it in neutral and give it a little throttle to get it started back up and it kicks into gear, launching me forward. I swing the wheel and kill the ignition, but it is too late. My bimini top catches the bow anchor chain, making a horrendous noise, trashing the top, but slowing us enough to gently tap the side of the yacht and alert around 50 people on the pier that there's an "amateur at the dock". After the humiliation subsides, I only have some cracked trim and the yacht a tiny scuff that wiped off with the crewman's sleeve. The motor on the other hand had more issues yet to show us.

The next weekend, the bilge flat quit and we swamped again, not nearly as bad though. I had a mechanic friend on board, we ethered and started right up, but suddenly much smoother, and with much less power, like we were towing. I had dropped a cylinder without knowing when it died during the sailboat event, and dropped another one at this point, balancing the motor back out. I pulled the boat out of the water and out of frustration let it sit for 3 weeks before digging into the problems.

Bad news... my steering cables have corroded and frozen up. (not terrible, about $100 used or I can take them apart and possibly clean them up). Bad news... my starter is seized up again. (not terrible, about $60 shipped from amazon). BAD BAD BAD news... one cylinder has ZERO compression, and the other has about 2 inches of water in it. manifolds are cracked, and camshaft lobes are starting to round off. My inexperience and eagerness to get a boat and on the water, led me to what I thought was a great deal. I guess sub 300 hrs and over 10 years old probably means no maintenance and a lot of sitting.

So.... anyone with a good running turnkey 4.3L Mercruiser for sale? My work buddy is going to let me use his shop to R&R this thing if I can find a motor for it. boat hull, floor, interior, outdrive are all in tip top shape.  I found one in Tipp City, OH if there is anyone nearby there that might be willing to make a little trip?

Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New motor for the seahawk boat...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:34:53 PM »
Maybe while waiting on an engine a different bilge pump system install is in order. Mount an auto pump system with manual and auto switch in the bottom of bilge and run the discharge hose to a through hull fitting set well above the waterline. Might check with the big marine place along the hwy near Everett they might be able to help with either a used replacement engine or do a rebuild for you. Boats are usually tossed away because of engine damage not drift or rock damage to the hull. The bad part is the engine and running gear are always more than the rest of the boat is worth.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:56:01 PM »
Auto bilge is already on standby with Performance Marine, (the place you're talking about). Guy I went to high school with there is their manager. if I can keep it under $3500 installed, I'm ok with keeping the boat because of the condition of the rest of it. otherwise I'm going to forget to lock the trailer hitch and park it in a bad neighborhood to give the kids something to do.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 03:16:20 PM »
Bad neighborhood kids are into marine mechanics? Who knew? :shocked:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 04:02:11 PM »
After thinking on this a bit, depending on what insurance you bought, you just might have a good claim, depending on how you describe how the damage happened. Check with the high school shop teacher, maybe they are looking for a class project.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 04:17:51 PM »
you mean since the flapper failed on the bilge and "allowed me" to swamp and ruin my motor?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 05:10:12 PM »
Right, that would work for sure....Sorry I brought it up I think

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:31:01 PM »
Hey, I paid for the insurance, if operator error is covered then great. otherwise, still looking for volunteers in Tipp City, OH.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 05:39:34 PM »
Hey, I paid for the insurance, if operator error is covered then great. otherwise, still looking for volunteers in Tipp City, OH.

You just need to convince Don he needs to pick something up at AIM surplus which is right near there...... :popcorn:

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 08:00:42 PM »
B.reak
O.ut
A.nother
T.housand
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 09:03:01 PM »
You know, two good days owning a boat. The day you buy it & the day you sell it......

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 09:23:20 PM »
Tate, you saying...oh never mind

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2018, 12:12:06 AM »
You know, two good days owning a boat. The day you buy it & the day you sell it......

I was about to say the same.

Tate, you should be able to rebuild that motor for under a grand. You may even have a contact or two,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2018, 06:11:50 AM »
Actually buying a good used boat can be a good thing.  I owned a 20ft runabout with the 4.3 and kept it 3 years and only lost 2 grand when I sold it back to the dealer I bought it from.  Pretty good compared to renting.

lots of parts for the 4.3.  I would read the deck sheet and policy details on the boat insurance to determined if you have a claim. 

https://www.perfprotech.com/sale-remanufactured-gm-43l-v6-1996-and-newer-marine-longblock-gm262lj/product/247960
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2018, 10:24:55 AM »
I'm honest to a fault sometimes. I never thought to even try to start a claim because I figured I had to have done something wrong considering I'm the rookie. But after talking with our agent who is a good friend of my wife's, she convinced us to give it a shot and that the worst that could happen is they say no. I would be willing to rebuild it, but there's a very high chance that the block is cracked. It will work out or it won't I'm not too worried about it, God will make his will known. I just hate being ignorant on a subject. I have a case of that electrical protectant spray Charles mentioned a while back on order, and if I can get a good motor for this I'll be updating a lot of the little stuff on it as well just to be certain that everything is "ship shape" (sorry, punny morning) :rolleyes:

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2018, 11:09:21 AM »
I'm sorry that all those bad things happened but I will say that a boat engine suddenly stopping and a bilge pump not working and getting swamped can have pretty disastrous consequences depending on the where and when it occurs. While I am sure the last thing you want to think about is that you were "blessed" by kissing a big fancy yacht when the engine failed, compared to having that happen in the big seas that were out there and drifting in front of a big ship or onto some wave battered rocks, that may have been a blessing.

Hope you find a solution that works!   

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 11:50:16 AM »
Wilbur, I have ABSOLUTELY been blessed. The first time it swamped I was a dead stick for about an hour and a half, but God blessed me to be in the Saratoga passage at slack tide and we just twirled around in place with the current until a friend came to tow us back. when the engine stalled and I "kissed" the yacht, my $99 special bimini top saved me from a $5mil insurance claim, and the last time it crapped out, I had spent the day convincing my friend to come out with us that day and they're the one that got us back up and running and home safe. I don't take any one of those events for granted, as they have given me a renewed motivation to go through everything and educate myself further.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2018, 01:25:28 PM »
B.reak
O.ut
A.nother
Two or three T.housand

FIFY

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 05:05:35 PM »
So my insurance decides to send an adjuster to evaluate the actual value of the boat and motor and I'm thinking, great. they're going to total it. NOPE! They estimated the value of my 1996 open bow Larsen with a 4.3 merc and freshwater cooling system at $13,800.00 and cut me a check for $6k to replace the motor. My wife calls to tell me this and I'm adamantly arguing with her that she must be mistaken, but she's not. And my ignorance and ultimate cause of some if not all of the damage was clearly laid out in front of them. I didn't want to be dishonest about a single aspect of it and they still covered it. there must be some rider about dumb owner coverage or something!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 05:21:50 PM by EL TATE »

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 05:24:25 PM »
So my insurance decides to send an adjuster to evaluate the actual value of the boat and motor and I'm thinking, great. they're going to total it. NOPE! They estimated the value of my 1996 open bow Larsen with a 4.3 merc and freshwater cooling system at $13,800.00 and cut me a check for $6k to replace the motor. My wife calls to tell me this and I'm adamantly arguing with her that she must be mistaken, but she's not. And my ignorance and ultimate cause of some if not all of the damage was clearly laid out in front of them. I didn't want to be dishonest about a single aspect of it and they still covered it. there must be some rider about dumb owner coverage or something!

:likebutton:

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 06:16:36 PM »
Can't agree more,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 06:31:19 PM »
Heck yeah Tate!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2018, 08:14:41 PM »

It's called an act of God.....he created you, didn't he?    :grin:   Congratulation Tate, really happy for you, and now you can do it up right!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 08:15:32 PM by cudakidd53 »
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2018, 09:29:37 PM »
ROFL^^^^^^^

How true!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2018, 06:48:51 AM »
Great to hear Tate. Add a supercharger..... jus sayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Tommy13

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2018, 09:29:12 AM »
Glad the insurance claim worked out for you.  In my experience watercraft insurance pays much more freely than auto and many times better than homeowners.  Had a similar issue with a failed outboard water pump.  We found some evidence of wood that might have attributed to the failure and seizing the #1 cylinder making the powerhead junk.  Insurance stroked  a check for a new Mercury Racing powerhead and labor to install.  I didn't expect the insurance to pay since if it was wood I had clearly hit it, but a buddy convinced me to file the claim and they were almost eager to pay.  :beercheers:
Exodus 14:14

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2018, 10:23:00 AM »
I wholeheartedly agree that God was looking out for me. The boat is just a possession, but the quality family time we spend on it is worth all the headache IMO. We spent nearly every weekend and some weeknights on that thing last summer, TOGTHER, not on phones or watching TV or hanging out at friends' houses, and I think THAT is what He was protecting. I'll post updates as they come, looking to make the drive from Camano to Olympia sometime next weekend.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2018, 11:15:47 AM »
yeah sure!  now you want to drive your happy butt down by Olympia now that I don't live there anymore..........HAHAHAHAHA

just kidding, cause I sure as heck didn't drive your way either....lol
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »
yeah sure!  now you want to drive your happy butt down by Olympia now that I don't live there anymore..........HAHAHAHAHA

just kidding, cause I sure as heck didn't drive your way either....lol

I know you're kidding. I would have been there in heartbeat if I didn't have such precious little time with my family between the two jobs. we'll meet up at some point; you bring the brisket and I'll provide the Dungeness.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal