Hello Guest

Author Topic: Hide/bugout site build thread Part 1  (Read 192948 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Hide/bugout site build thread Part 1
« on: April 12, 2015, 08:02:33 PM »
Folks, I've wanted to do this to show the development of a bugout site/family fun spot/hunting cabin, or getting out with the boyz for a weekend of football and deer chili.

So here goes. We will start with a spot on the map and a parch of ground and take that all the way from dirt to something that could sustain you and your family while remaining completely off grid.

My site will have commercial electricity, but only for a time. At some point we will no longer need outside power or water or anything. We'll engineer the place so that mother nature and my family will labor to make it all work.

Here it is the day we started:
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:15:40 PM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Hide/bugout site build thread
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 08:06:25 PM »
It is what is left of an old abandoned rural...very rural farm. It hasn't raised a single anything for some 35 years but was used as a deer hunting lease during the past few decades

The old farm house is no longer any good. The foundation in the basement is buckling, there is a large hole in the roof, raccoons have torn the inside to pieces and all the walls are rotted

It will be pushed in, and burned to the ground after I salvage the wood burning stove

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 08:07:27 PM »
The shed beside it is not salvageable either. it will meet the match as well.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 08:13:40 PM »
We used this past weekend as a training opportunity. The concept was to practice a bug-out from our homes and move to the site and occupl it. We wanted to test packing lists and start to work out bugs, and let me tell ya, there were plenty.

But this is realistic stuff here. When you move you won't be an elite special forces A-Team. You will be your very own family and possibly a tag along or two. So this exercise utilized the men folk of our respective clans.

At my home, I began on Thursday with a full field layout of everyone's bags displaying everything each of us was bringing. Additions and subtractions were made and we actually went shopping to pick up some more things we were lacking.

With all that done I packed up a cooler, water cans (Armee ones) weapons and camping gear. The assumption was that the house would not be inhabitable (and it's not) so we would have to establish a camp site and grow from there.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 08:19:04 PM »
We brought two cots for Duane and I, and the boys used ground pads. The terrain had a slight grade and was grass covered. The views in all direction were great as we could see things from a distance.

The property has a spring fed pond, and a couple of perennial streams which were running this weekend. But those streams lie 300-400 vertical feet below the camp site so getting water was going to be a chore. (Note to self: Cistern is a high priority!)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 08:25:26 PM »
We did a couple hours of chain saw work and spent some time weapons training (having fun) but also did all the campfire things (Smores, camp quoffee, scary stories, burning things up)

We spent some time scouting around and discovered such an abundance of timber. I have thousands of trees! That is going to figure into how the cabin will be built.

Yes the plan is to get some permanent structure planted and since no building permits are required where this site is, we can build anything we want!

The land is fairly primitive. The vehicles, a pretty stock Jeep with a lift kit and BFG AT's along with the big chevy with a locker and 4.45's didn't have a problem with any of the terrain we encoutered

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 08:33:07 PM »
I have two transformers on the property so I had the power company mount a security light at each one. For $10 a month, it's a deal!

The plan will be to occupy the site in stages. Right now, with a tent, we are at the very basic level and stage 1, which is "Jest git there!"

Stage 2 will be to drop some temporary storage shed in there near this pole, and dig in an underground supply line to a 150-200 amp service which will be placed inside the shed. I'll put external 115 VAC receptacles all over it so it will serve as a temporary shelter and power supply point to expand from.

Very likely, phase 3 will see me parking a portable camper in there to get even mo-better accommodations along with a 1000-2000 gallon plastic water tank.

Phase 2 and 3 will support the development of the property and the building of a small cabin along with permanent water, a bigger pond, a barn with all sorts of support equipment to include things like SquareD, Big Red, and "the green" (My J Deere tractor.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2015, 08:34:56 PM »
There was some gun play, and the house got shot up some!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2015, 08:36:12 PM »
And this happened:

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »
We practiced with a variety of guns. two 20 gage shotguns, one of my M4's, a cool Ruger single action .22 western style pistol, a .22 auto, and a .22 lever gun

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2015, 08:44:44 PM »
Saw this and cracked up

On the foot of my Armee 3-piece sleeping bag system was an "Emergency Exit" tag.

First of all, you really need a tag to tell you to get out the same end you got in?

Secondly, suppose you're haplessly caught in your sleeping bag and badly need to evac the thing...How are you going to read a tag on the bottom of your feet?

Really, if you need a tag to tell you how to get out of a sleeping bag, then do us all a favor and do not prepare for anything just take the fall gracefully and leave more food for the rest of us!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 08:45:22 PM by Flyin6 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2015, 08:49:45 PM »
I can report that this bag system worked well. It features a gortex, woodland cammo outer cover, followed by a black nylon middle medium bag and an OD green down inner bag. We experienced high 30's and kept the tent flap open to reduce moisture and I stayed warm all night. I did not like opening all those zippers for my 0200 trip outside to talk to a man about a horse, but I managed to fumble through it. The bag packs down small and is pretty light

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 10:16:42 PM »
Beautiful place. Hope to visit some time.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2015, 02:41:56 AM »
I can report that this bag system worked well. It features a gortex, woodland cammo outer cover, followed by a black nylon middle medium bag and an OD green down inner bag. We experienced high 30's and kept the tent flap open to reduce moisture and I stayed warm all night. I did not like opening all those zippers for my 0200 trip outside to talk to a man about a horse, but I managed to fumble through it. The bag packs down small and is pretty light

The gortex cover, patrol bag (green one) and a woobie are all one needs to successfully and comfortably sleep in most conditions. The black one is nice when it drops below 30s. Those tags are for those 2LTs who don't yet trust themselves to not use an official manual to open a sleeping bag.

I do NOT recommend using just the gortex...when it rains and drops the temp real low. It also doesn't work when you end up sleeping in a puddle, however it is marginally better than nothing at all.

I do like that lay of that land. And did anyone else see the EXTREME angles that CMax was subjected to?!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:44:33 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2015, 07:30:38 AM »
Beautiful place. Hope to visit some time.

I'm considering having a "Real-Man" meet and greet weekend there some day, but sort of defeats the "hide" part of the site.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2015, 07:38:23 AM »

The gortex cover, patrol bag (green one) and a woobie are all one needs to successfully and comfortably sleep in most conditions. The black one is nice when it drops below 30s. Those tags are for those 2LTs who don't yet trust themselves to not use an official manual to open a sleeping bag.

I do NOT recommend using just the gortex...when it rains and drops the temp real low. It also doesn't work when you end up sleeping in a puddle, however it is marginally better than nothing at all.

I do like that lay of that land. And did anyone else see the EXTREME angles that CMax was subjected to?!

Seriously, C-Max does get stretched a lot down there, you can hear it in the creaking of the suspension. I found the most extreme exercise is approaching the driveway on an angle going uphill, dropping a wheel in the 2 foot deep two track, then continuing over the down side which scrapes the bottom of the truck while hanging a tire in the air.

Lay of the land comment: I know you see it with the same eyes as I do. As a grunt, you'd like a lot about the site I have selected. I am looking forward to having you do a walk about there and sharing your thoughts. Bottom line is it will be hard to sneak up on, and I am going to do a lot of unnecessary tree removal there to really open up my visibility in all directions. I will have a minimum of 100 meters open ground in all directions and be able to see 400-500 in several directions. The high speed avenue of approach is not high speed. Very channelized and restricted. Only one way in by vehicle, and that will be heard for some time as engines have to strain in places against the terrain. Just over the hill the drop-off is so steep that it is dangerous. Lots of natural cover (gulley's) to transit...you'd like it!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:39:52 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2015, 11:52:50 AM »

Seriously, C-Max does get stretched a lot down there, you can hear it in the creaking of the suspension. I found the most extreme exercise is approaching the driveway on an angle going uphill, dropping a wheel in the 2 foot deep two track, then continuing over the down side which scrapes the bottom of the truck while hanging a tire in the air.

Lay of the land comment: I know you see it with the same eyes as I do. As a grunt, you'd like a lot about the site I have selected. I am looking forward to having you do a walk about there and sharing your thoughts. Bottom line is it will be hard to sneak up on, and I am going to do a lot of unnecessary tree removal there to really open up my visibility in all directions. I will have a minimum of 100 meters open ground in all directions and be able to see 400-500 in several directions. The high speed avenue of approach is not high speed. Very channelized and restricted. Only one way in by vehicle, and that will be heard for some time as engines have to strain in places against the terrain. Just over the hill the drop-off is so steep that it is dangerous. Lots of natural cover (gulley's) to transit...you'd like it!

I'll let you know when I'm travelling through the area, or actually next time I'm heading down South will be for 9 days, so I"ll be able to detour and visit.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2015, 01:28:02 PM »
Got a regular Paul Bunyan over here! Looks like no-one had any fun at all either. Any ducks on that pond?
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 02:38:00 PM »
Got a regular Paul Bunyan over here! Looks like no-one had any fun at all either. Any ducks on that pond?

No ducks

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
Did a little camping myself this weekend with the boys, even got the truck dirty. Guns, fishing, archery and mild wheelin. We were just south of where the Rubicon starts, Ice House res.

Nice video Paul,,,,,,,,,,,,

I wish I still had my military bag, lost em in a garage fire. Yours must be from the "new army",,,,,,,,,,,

Bury a storage container, I plan on that being my first "structure". That shed looks OK with a steel roof though?

Looks like a great weekend and all had fun.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:10:10 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2015, 04:46:11 PM »
I was going to ask too.... any thought to using storage containers as your structure? maybe one underground, 1-2 above? thinking mainly from a strength and fire-resistant perspective.

Maybe 2 side by side with an A-frame roof built... attic storage for water tanks etc? could gravity feed water to the dwelling w/o electricity, and then use generators to fill the tanks again from your water source when needed?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 04:48:15 PM by Dawg25385 »
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2015, 07:02:27 PM »
The side by side is a great option you see alot. Build about anything between them.

Run some pvc up to the area and us a solar water pump to keep the tanks filled.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:03:41 PM by JR »

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2015, 08:16:55 PM »
Man, seemed like I lived half my life in 20 and 40 foot vans. My last helo operation used 4-40 footers we converted into office and workshops to support the aircraft. Built a deck between then and a roof overhead to get out of the sun.

I don't like milvans or connexes, or trailers...nope, don't like em'

If you bury a steel container van the pressure of the dirt will cave the walls in. Not a lot of folks realize that, but especially when dirt gets wet, it easily overcomes the structural integrity of a steel van.

I might do some things underground...Not Everything that I may do will make it onto this thread. I believe in survival and security in successive plans and locations. The casa here is compromised, I move to site 1. That gets unsafe and I move to a second site. If that goes south, upload into a vehicle...have a second and a third along with food and weapons in yet, other areas. You always need a contingency plan.

Back to this show and tell thing I am going to build. The Water will get shed off a roof and run through a filter system into a cistern. I will electrically or manually pump the water out and filter it as needed. I will initially have 1000-2000 gallons on hand and as I expand operations, upgrade to a 10,000+ gallon cistern unit.

Here in the tucky a normal sized house given our rainfall will keep up with the water needs of a small family. That assumes you aren't showering all the time or washing clothes every day and so forth. In a survival mode or weekend getaway trip, we will always have enough, and don't think for one minute I won't have a hot and bubbly sitting on a deck overlooking the valley from our ridge line location!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2015, 09:32:57 PM »
Don, one question.  You mentioned lights on the poles.  I struggled with that at my location.  The thought was that lights draw unnecessary attention either from the air or ground.  If you aren't there then there is no need to give un wanted guests light to work by.

Good call on the conex in the ground.  All the strength is at the corners.  Very little strength in the sides or top  By the time you reinforce, then you could have just formed concrete.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2015, 09:55:48 PM »
Don, one question.  You mentioned lights on the poles.  I struggled with that at my location.  The thought was that lights draw unnecessary attention either from the air or ground.  If you aren't there then there is no need to give un wanted guests light to work by.

Good call on the conex in the ground.  All the strength is at the corners.  Very little strength in the sides or top  By the time you reinforce, then you could have just formed concrete.
Well, the lights are typical for farms in the area, so in my view, it fits with surrounding properties

Also, in the future I can have them turned off with a phone call, but until then it allows us to work into the evening hours if we want to.

I haven't thought about it more than that really, but if things fell apart, I would go to night vision systems and kill the lights

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 10:49:15 PM »
Nice ground from the few Picts shown- Bobby likes the high ground that looks flat but plenty of rolls.

Lots of cedar trees- great building materials for outdoor furniture and pretty smelling closets!  Oh how it sends flames to the heavens!

Don, I will give you some free Photoshop lessons- what you did to Duanes face is criminal, unless he actually looks like the Elephant Man!

Your mention of steep hillside might make a good build site, good over-look, could build into the hillside for insulation and protection or even hidden exit/tunnel.

Congrats on expansion and growth too!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 10:51:07 PM »
Now "I" live in the Southern Hemisphere!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 02:43:08 AM »
Don, I will give you some free Photoshop lessons- what you did to Duanes face is criminal, unless he actually looks like the Elephant Man!

I was going to say he almost gave him the Jack in the box (restaurant) character's face.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 06:56:05 AM »
Don,  You are probably as remote or more remote than my location.  As a result I had to have satellite internet installed to get connected.  I also invested in this system.  It is POE, meaning Power over Ethernet.  The cameras get their power through the Ethernet cord so it only requires one connection, the RJ 45 jack of the Ethernet cable.  They are 100ft range IR night vision and although they come with the 100 ft cables, I bought direct burial Cat 6 cable and ran my cameras away from the house to the trees facing the house as well as some other locations that give me view of the approach.  They have the ability to sense motion and send video or email to your phone and with the phone app you can log in at any time and remotely view the camera feeds live.  By mounting them on the tree and a little use of camo paint, they blend in well.  Of course with NV on it looks like it all painted with klieg lights from all the IR but I doubt most threats are going to come in with NV on.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-9-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100123665.html
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 07:52:16 AM »

I was going to say he almost gave him the Jack in the box (restaurant) character's face.
I was just trying to improve on the man's looks, if ya know what I'm sayin'

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 08:18:33 AM »
Don,  You are probably as remote or more remote than my location.  As a result I had to have satellite internet installed to get connected.  I also invested in this system.  It is POE, meaning Power over Ethernet.  The cameras get their power through the Ethernet cord so it only requires one connection, the RJ 45 jack of the Ethernet cable.  They are 100ft range IR night vision and although they come with the 100 ft cables, I bought direct burial Cat 6 cable and ran my cameras away from the house to the trees facing the house as well as some other locations that give me view of the approach.  They have the ability to sense motion and send video or email to your phone and with the phone app you can log in at any time and remotely view the camera feeds live.  By mounting them on the tree and a little use of camo paint, they blend in well.  Of course with NV on it looks like it all painted with klieg lights from all the IR but I doubt most threats are going to come in with NV on.

http://www.costco.com/Q-See-16-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-3TB-HDD-and-9-3MP-HD-IP-Cameras.product.100123665.html
I Like it!

There will be something like this from early on...

But here's a thought and something I learned

My aviation unit in the regular armee, not special ops, would set up operations in fields with woods adjacent. The open areas obviously needed for slinging rotor blades and the woods for cover of our various tents and things.

We would man a perimeter with soldiers and they would be connected to somewhere via a hard wire land line and phone or a radio of some type. The perimeter was pretty vast when you think of the space needed for 15 Chinooks with takeoff and landing areas and so forth. So often an infantry company, guys like Blaine and Bobby would get tagged with guarding the aircraft.

Well to my knowledge just about every training exercise I was ever on, some "Enemy" infantry insurgent types would sneak in and waste a few of our valuable aircraft. No matter what we did, even GSR (Ground surveillance radar) and barbed wire, and lights, and night vision and prayers prayed over the mess sergeants SOS and bacon. Nossir, we never got away without some Bobby lookin knuckle-dragger comin' in and messin with our beauty sleep and hot tub operations!

Sorry Bobby, but really, getting called a knuckle dragger by an aviator is really just a badge of honor in your world, true?

Anyway to continue with my quoffee fueled lesson for my Texas red neck friend.

Sometimes I would stay over at a tactical Air Force tactical strip, which was much like what we Armee folks lived on, but run by the Air Force. In my more hush-hush days, I co-habituated quite a bit with my A/F friends (by personal choice and preference). One big difference was that their bases were secure. Except for mortars and the like, we were never hit there. No "Allah-Akbar" sceamin' followed by a big bang and a lot of dust...nothing like that. Just routine hot tub operations like it should be in combat. Well, an Aviator's version of combat...

You know what the big difference was between the Armee and the Air Force?

Dogs

The A/F secured their locations with roving dog patrols.

I learned from that...

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 09:42:25 AM »
Bobby likes the high ground that looks flat but plenty of rolls.

Yes and no.

I Like it!

1. So often an infantry company, guys like Blaine and Bobby would get tagged with guarding the aircraft.

2. Well to my knowledge just about every training exercise I was ever on, some "Enemy" infantry insurgent types would sneak in and waste a few of our valuable aircraft. No matter what we did, even GSR (Ground surveillance radar) and barbed wire, and lights, and night vision and prayers prayed over the mess sergeants SOS and bacon. Nossir, we never got away without some Bobby lookin knuckle-dragger comin' in and messin with our beauty sleep and hot tub operations!

3. Sorry Bobby, but really, getting called a knuckle dragger by an aviator is really just a badge of honor in your world, true?

1. Usually with no sleep.

2. We'll find a way in, especially if some aviators' happen to talk some smack. Or there's hot coffee/snacks somewhere.

3. It ranks up there.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 11:13:03 AM »
Dig for the units about 6 inches extra on all sides, fill with concrete.

I have seen a few buried with no issues, but on hillsides with doors exposed.

Heck, post what you do just don't advertise where. Unless you drive something like a big black billboard saying who you are might be a giveaway, oh wait, nevermind,,,,,,,,,,,,

Congrads on the site upgrades too. Saw that yesterday but had to find the lumberjack video mentioned and found myself here.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 11:16:30 AM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 11:21:26 AM »
Don, You mentioned a spring fed pond. Not sure how much flow you have year round but a DIY Ram pump could handle filling the cistern or elevated tank that would create the water pressure you need. Here is a good example of a large ram pump that could be scaled down. Runs on water and gravity!  :D

https://youtu.be/siHErRMxmGw
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 03:19:10 PM »
Don, You mentioned a spring fed pond. Not sure how much flow you have year round but a DIY Ram pump could handle filling the cistern or elevated tank that would create the water pressure you need. Here is a good example of a large ram pump that could be scaled down. Runs on water and gravity!  :D

https://youtu.be/siHErRMxmGw
That's interesting

Sounds like a South African...

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 09:09:38 PM »

You know what the big difference was between the Armee and the Air Force?

Dogs

The A/F secured their locations with roving dog patrols.

I learned from that...

Unless you are attacked by power cords and screw drivers, you're gonna need to upgrade from "Red Dog".......just saying!  ;)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 09:11:37 PM by cudakidd53 »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2015, 09:49:11 PM »
Concur

Need RDR (Red Dog Replacement)

I have my sights set on a shepherd but wife unit says no. I guess she has misgivings since one of them (Sherperds) ate up one of the pre-rangers.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2015, 10:02:37 PM »
You'll need to go puppy route then to put her mind at ease; the boys raise a pair, send them (boys too) for training at right age and it won't be an issue.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2015, 02:34:34 AM »
Unless the Red Dog eats the puppy,,,,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2015, 10:41:07 PM »
Spent the day working on the "other place."

Object for todays labor was to open it up some more and improve the road/trail so that when the heavy trucks come ah' callin with concrete and the like, they will actually be able to get back in there.

I loaded up the tractor and the 6 foot bush-hog for todays fun

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 10:42:23 PM »
Down there here is what it looked like at the beginning of the work day

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2015, 10:45:17 PM »
I did an hour or two of easy "mowing" before getting to a stand of 10-20 foot tall locust trees. I've cut trees that size before with a bush hog, so I waded right in

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2015, 10:47:15 PM »
Then I remembered why I didn't ever like bush hogging

Your tractor always gets destroyed!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2015, 10:50:27 PM »
The last pic I am pointing to the grill which has a huge hole in it

I pulled a stick that just missed damaging the radiator!

Next, one of the legs from the t-point fell off and I didn't bring extra pins, so my bush hogging was over.

So I got to work on the driveway. I added 2-3 feet width to it and graded the bottom more or less level.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2015, 10:51:33 PM »
I have more, but it's late, I've been working all day and I got up zero-dark-early to start all this.

Hang on to your horses and I'll post more up in the morrow

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2015, 11:20:15 PM »
Looks like a fun day to me. Relaxing, get lost in your head and enjoy the sunshine.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2015, 12:11:24 AM »
Lookin good but man, it sure made a mess if that JD. Even though that brush guard is a little short, I bet it saved the rad a few times!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2015, 12:54:01 AM »
Which model Deere is that? 3032? 790?
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2015, 02:27:57 AM »
Maybe bush hoggin with that JD was like bringing a knife to a gunfight?

Looks like a good day though. Always nice when can can see what you did.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »
Which model Deere is that? 3032? 790?

66 HP with the gee whiz electronic stuff. Drives more like a car and will become a planter if we get EMP!
Has a 4-1 bucket for grabbing trees, front/rear hydraulics, is pretty heavy (good thing) and way powerful
Good little machine that I ordered with all the options except for a cab...don't need no stinkin cab with footsie warmers and cheek massagers...
But it does have an air seat!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal