Hello Guest

Author Topic: New Truck F350 7.3L Godzilla or 6.7L Diesel single or dual wheel  (Read 857 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Ok, wanted to further this discussion. I recently acquired a 36’ 4 season fifth wheel rv and am looking for a truck. Just starting and two things I’m trying to decide. Go diesel or gas and single wheel or dual. I’ll add my opinions later but I have hauled a 36’ fifth before with a diesel single wheel f350 w/o issue.

The gas motor can add a turbo for few thousand and make crazy hp and torque, ford is even developing a twin turbo setup based on this engine.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: New Truck F350 7.3L Godzilla or 6.7L Diesel single or dual wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 06:40:20 PM »
Ok, wanted to further this discussion. I recently acquired a 36’ 4 season fifth wheel rv and am looking for a truck. Just starting and two things I’m trying to decide. Go diesel or gas and single wheel or dual. I’ll add my opinions later but I have hauled a 36’ fifth before with a diesel single wheel f350 w/o issue.

The gas motor can add a turbo for few thousand and make crazy hp and torque, ford is even developing a twin-turbo setup based on this engine.
I kinda see where you're going with this
and my opinion really only applies with the general acceptance of the parameters I propose
For towing, like for years, the old big-block chevies and fords did OK, within their envelope. Personally, I'd do a solid 20% subtraction from the gassers limits, and if the weight of what I was towing fell in that zone, then the gas engine certainly makes sense. The initial cost is ten grand less, but fuel mileage is half what the 6.7 might get. I would base my decision (Note: I said my decision, for me) on all things being stock. Means cats or DEF, exhaust manifolds vs headers, and so forth.

I think if part of the consideration in rationalizing a gas 7.3 involves supercharging or turbos, then I'd say for a dependable work truck that I am betting my income on. I'd rule out the gas engine.
If I was borderline, and I had a business, I would buy the 6.7. If the 7.3 can make ridiculous torque with a turbo, then the 6.7 can make more with a tune and a yearly bypass at the sniffer station. Of course one could always register the thing at a farm in Kentucky and never have any such inspections.
Looking at the internals of either engine for raw strength, there is no way the gas engine would amount to half the strength of the massive stuff in the power stroke engine. And it turns slower so it is going to last a very long time. Now you take that same truck with the 7.3 gasser with a turbo putting out 10 psi and you have 1000HP, but the stress on the pistons/rings/pins to say nothing of the rods and bearings is going to be in the yellow, cautionary range. There if you need it, but if you want to be driving it in four years, use that sparingly.
Or just buy the diesel.
Seems to defeat my original premise with pumping up the Godzilla, but the F350 with the 6.7 will work in all circumstances. It will last longer and will resell well. It probably won't break down, but you'll have to pay $167 extra a month for 5 long years just to pay it. But with a business, you just adjust the truck from a 3 to a 4 to a 5, to a 7-year deduction and you can fully neutralize the cost of the engine.
Diesel...one less thing to worry about
Another thought: Everything goes berserk and there is almost no fuel to be found, riots are everywhere and martial law is declared. Well, the entire Department of Defense runs on JP8 which is pretty close to diesel...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 08:31:26 PM »
You make valid points, my other consideration is the maintenance cost of diesel, def and filters versus the gasser. I agree the mileage is half the diesel but what is it after increased maintenance costs. No one is giving away filters and def either. Add the increased cost of diesel over gas. I’d think it’s close to a moot point. Had the twin turbo Godzilla been available that would be hard to pass up if it’s reliable. That rotating assembly is stout if they’re putting out 1450hp with a pro charger…..

Now onto the single wheel versus dual wheel. I’ve owned both and pulled trailers with both. I really never noticed a huge difference for the added cost of the duals. Extra payload and hitch capacity would be nice and the rear axle is an Dana 80 versus Sterling I believe on the 16 and newer fords still (Tate correct me if I’m wrong)

Btw, this is a new to me truck. My time frame and the fact you can’t order one right now means I’m looking at used. Possibly upgrade later.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 08:35:08 PM by stlaser »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 10:16:15 PM »
Either will work but I just don’t like the RPM range in which the gas motors operate

And I’m a DRW guy. Just more stable in cross winds out in west texas. Also, lose one and you can limp unlike a SRW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 11:42:50 PM »
My company has four new fords f350 1 diesel and three 7.3.   All of them just kicked over 10k ish. 

The one powerstroke was for towing capacity and that guy has the credentials for it.  The other three don’t want or need to tow the equipment so the company went with gas trucks

As to why they still didn’t pony up the extra for the three trucks I don’t know

However the report from all for I get when I ask is the MPG.

They all come back with the same, 12-14 mpg.    Neither truck towing very often. 

So take that for the arguement of which has better mpg empty. Sounds mute point and real experience it’s a toss up until towed.

The power of the 7.3 feels different on the throttle then the diesel for sure.  But all those things can be adjusted either direction.

Which one toss on handles better? Gas or diesel I have no answer.

I went dually because it simply more safe.  Extra tires for a blow out, extra capacity, extra in almost all direction cost included.    I wasn’t comfortable in the seat with my current trailer and the 1 ton duramax.  If I am having anxiety I’m not enjoying the trip.   I hope I get what I’m after with the dually.

The cost for a dually in a ford was a considerable amount from the srw.   
GM wasn’t a big jump maybe 5k.
I also didn’t do the ford, but I would agree when towing in them for work ( not in any of our new ones) the ford felt better with our goose necks and 12k equipment. So…….
Just another guys 2 cents

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 12:05:55 PM »
Just get a dmax and live a happy life.
I won't razz you too much, but Charles might.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 01:36:44 PM »
My company has four new fords f350 1 diesel and three 7.3.   All of them just kicked over 10k ish. 

The one powerstroke was for towing capacity and that guy has the credentials for it.  The other three don’t want or need to tow the equipment so the company went with gas trucks

As to why they still didn’t pony up the extra for the three trucks I don’t know

However the report from all for I get when I ask is the MPG.

They all come back with the same, 12-14 mpg.    Neither truck towing very often. 

So take that for the arguement of which has better mpg empty. Sounds mute point and real experience it’s a toss up until towed.

The power of the 7.3 feels different on the throttle then the diesel for sure.  But all those things can be adjusted either direction.

Which one toss on handles better? Gas or diesel I have no answer.

I went dually because it simply more safe.  Extra tires for a blow out, extra capacity, extra in almost all direction cost included.    I wasn’t comfortable in the seat with my current trailer and the 1 ton duramax.  If I am having anxiety I’m not enjoying the trip.   I hope I get what I’m after with the dually.

The cost for a dually in a ford was a considerable amount from the srw.   
GM wasn’t a big jump maybe 5k.
I also didn’t do the ford, but I would agree when towing in them for work ( not in any of our new ones) the ford felt better with our goose necks and 12k equipment. So…….
Just another guys 2 cents

Dave, asking for Shawn's sake
Are you saying both the 7.3 Godzilla and the 6.7 PowerStroke are returning 12-14 mpg? Did I understand that correctly? I can see a PowerStroke that is pulling and delivering that mileage because my Duramax does.
But if that 7.3 in an empty truck can get 14mpg, why that is actually outstanding in my view.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 06:13:35 PM »
I think I’ve heard enough to know I’m going 6.7l diesel. Still debating single or dual, looking at two different units Monday.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 07:31:09 PM »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 07:48:07 PM »
Says he turned off the “ECO” mode and seems to get better. 

The previous time I had asked he said was on the ECO setting. Giving me the statement of worse fuel economy.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2022, 09:40:00 AM »

Maybe just me, but is that info on a gas or a diesel engine?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2022, 03:43:13 PM »

Maybe just me, but is that info on a gas or a diesel engine?
It’s just you

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2022, 09:58:02 PM »
Anyone else out there tell from this which engine that text refers to?

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 12:21:35 AM »
Other than Powerstroke , not a clue

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2022, 08:22:43 AM »
In Dave’s defense he’s asking about Powerstroke so it’s the diesel. I’m probably not looking at a newer 10 speed though. But the older 6 speed, looking at a Dually today. My research shows the 2016 or newer 6.7L has some upgrades to the motor worth having.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2022, 04:27:26 PM »
Purchased an 6.7L 2018 f250 supercab long bed with less than 15k miles on odometer today. I’ll post up about it later.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:30:11 PM by stlaser »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2022, 07:47:49 PM »
Anyone else out there tell from this which engine that text refers to?
You would have to reference the previous post I made about the company having both motor types. Gas and diesel.   Both trucks are getting very similar mpg.  Nothing that would justify or sway one way or another when looking at fuel eco only

Power and power usage is another convo

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal