Hello Guest

Author Topic: Bobby said:  (Read 1559 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Bobby said:
« on: September 15, 2014, 02:28:21 PM »
Ok so I've been reading on here and other places about SHTF and TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it , no I do NOT think the world is going to end on dec 12 or 21st or whatever it is) stuff and the debate between calibers (5.56 vs 7.62 vs 5.45). I jut believe in being prepared for whatever comes, i.e. natural disaster,zombies or what not. I saw this post and I think the guy pretty much spoke truth. These are his words.

"To my military mind, although we get excited by make, model, physics, nationalism ("Amer'Can made" verses "Comblock"), what it comes down to is what you can do the work of life with. I choose my weapon system based on the same line of thought I choose my survivor friends: Who do I trust? Who is reliable? Who is available? Who brings what skills? Who is tough?

It seems the best defense in SHTF or welfare-ocolypse scenarios (when the government is unable to pay out checks and the "have-nots" attack the "haves") is to lay low. If it ever comes down, I do not intend to make a fortress that looks like it can repel any invader. I intend to all but dissapear. Thugs will always outnumber survivors, can always overtake defensive barriers. What they can't always do is see the unseen. If I get into squad or platoon level firefight, I have misplanned. I can use natural surroundings as a defense before I ever have to fire around. In a close quarters attack (0-250 meters) the AK and AR have different strengths. I know my AK can plug through an 8 inch aspen, but I know an AR has a smother firing rate due to the buffer-spring. But in many ways, they are on equal footing in a close fight: They will both poke holes in a man.

When it comes to distance, I intend not to fire. I intend to bug out, always moving. If I am contained by circumstance, such as seeing robbery or rape from a distance which I feel to stop, my Mosin-Nagant gives me a solution to around 800m. Same with my 7mm Mag.

In short, both are fine calibers and fine weapon systems. Take the one you know, trust, is accessible, and live. Also, as with anything, diversify (large caliber/combat caliber/small and pistol)."
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bobby said:
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 02:29:21 PM »
I like em' all except for the nagnant. POJ
For war fighting:
Rifle AK47, M4
Shotgun: Mossberg 500. or Remington 870 depending on whether you perfer the safety on top or by the trigger. Me, it's simple safety on top, push forward to go bang (Mossberg)
Pistol: Glock 19
The only calibers you need to collect"
.22LR, 9mm X 18 luger, .45 ACP, (maybe .40) 12 gage, 7.62 X 39, 7.62 X 51, 5.56 X 45 (rem .223)
That's it, all you need.
.22 removes pests like rats and rioters and kills rabbits and squirrels
9mm stops someone attacking you PDQ
.45 stops tanks or anything smaller with one shot. Get hit in the toe with a .45 and you're a gonner!
12 gage does everything to killing squirrels to knocking doors out of the way to shooting through cinder block walls for those pesky fleeing criminals who just stole your best bottle of wine, to knocking out lights, to windshields, to, well the hoover dam!
7.62 X 39 is everywhere. In face excavate anywhere on earth and you will find a 8" layer of the stuff just after the triassic era!
5.56 X 45 (223 Rem) same as above, newer layer, have to dig through them to get to the rusky stuff
Swing a dead cat and you'll hit several boxes of the two above rifle rounds.
On the AK stuff, having been on the recieving end of those things, I don't like them. I don't like stuff that hurts me. I really don't like them, neither do my aircraft which they made whistle after meeting!
7.62 X 51 Fairly common, good hunting and anti personnel round out to 800 meters. Can you see further than that?

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 02:30:23 PM »
Then Shawn said:

agree with Don except this below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin6 View Post
I like em' all except for the nagnant. POJ

Here are my reasons.

-Locally we call the MN's the "brother in law gun" or BILG for short. It's for when shtf and your stupid brother in law shows up empty handed. You hand him the $80 rifle and 20 rounds ($3.60 worth of ammo) and tell him to go get the gun and stuff he should have had already. Worst case scenario your out $83.60 but you just got rid of one more headache. Seems like a pretty inexpensive fix, just sayin.

-Ballistic wise 7.62 x 54 is between 30.06 & .308 but 1/3 of the cost per round

-They are relatively accurate, some more than others. The info is all over the net which ones are better.

-Unlike 30.06 & .308 you can still buy steel core ammo and it will punch thru 1/2" plate like it was it's job.

-Ever heard of a PSL? 10rd detachable mags and semi auto all for under 1K so after you acquired the BILG and stocked up on ammo (the good stuff for cheap BTW) you can then save up and purchase the PSL or if you want a heavier barrel and don't mind 5rd detachable mags there are Vepr's now available in semi auto as well.

-Also these are readily available (russia built like 37 million or something) and most gun guys have one or two plus a few tins of 440 rds in steel on hand. Think barter.....

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 08:17:58 PM »
^^^ That I copied and posted from a webpage I was reading. I thought it was along lines of whatever topic we were discussing.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal