Hello Guest

Author Topic: Dave’s 2017 LP5 3500hd duramax  (Read 5382 times)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
Dave’s 2017 LP5 3500hd duramax
« on: June 19, 2021, 11:16:37 AM »
Start with 24000 miles on a new to me L5P Silverado

Ride quality is terrible as the torsion bars are cranked all the way up to fit 285/60R20 on ten wide wheels, that rub still after the suspension is maxed out completely.

The upper control arm rests firmly on the bottom bump stop.     The suspension has zero down travel and causes what feels like a loose steering wheel when going over bumps of any kind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Dave’s 2017 LP5 3500hd duramax
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 11:19:46 AM »
The paint and interior are in really great shape, all things considered.

I have purchased some wheels and smaller tires So I can lower the suspension back to a regular operating position.

Stock gmc wheels I think look great and I’ll get over the Denali emblem. 265/(?)R 18’s with one winter one them.  They still have the rubber nubs on the tires for $600 bucks!!!

I’ll mount those today and set out for an alignment appointment this week and have them lower the trucks torsion bars

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 11:23:30 AM »
I’m going to order a level kit that comes with upper control arms from cognito or kryptonite looking at one that sends me new shocks Bilsteins but they are on back order for a few weeks at the DMax store

Question:

Do these aftermarket control arms come with good quality ball joints? Are the designed for rigors of a 1ton truck?

Second upgrade will be a quick buff with the polisher to get the imperfections out as soon as possible.

Third I’d like to get a chrome tip for this exhaust pipe that looks terrible

Then look at some of the options Banks performance has like a pedal monster or at least an Idash to regen when I want or clear and read codes

Anything else I’m missing folks?

Oh LED lights needed bad

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 11:50:49 AM »
I have cognito uppers (2012 LML) and they came with 1/2 ton ball joints from 1988-91 and I'm on the 3rd set in 80k miles. Really disappointed because I thought I was buying the best.
Might only be that way when using their knuckles tho .. (I have the 4-6" lift)

Maybe they're different on the newer ones but I would check it out.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 02:35:14 PM »
I had read that and wasn’t impressed with that thought.  How cheap do you get to not build your stuff for a upgrade part not a down grade

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 02:36:39 PM »
I polished and coated each wheel on the truck and put the front set on, seem to need an alignment pretty bad now lol

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 04:20:13 PM »
The clearance on these uppers is a business card,  the drop out on the suspension is gone, 

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2021, 09:45:05 PM »
I replaced the ball joints in my Cognito UCA's many moons ago with Moog units and they live on with no clearance today with nearly 120K on the clock.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 08:39:58 PM »
Dropped it off at the dealership for them to lower the torsion bars and then re align the front end with the new tires and wheel size.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2021, 03:03:00 PM »
I have ordered a Rough Country level kit, upper control arms, differential drop, and torsion keys, shocks that I soon will replace when supply comes available.

Should ship the 8th of July and I’ll have installed shortly after.

Until then.  The suspension has been adjusted and I now have about a inch of down travel on the front.  It rides really great compared to what it was.  But….. it should ride better.

Also looking at a little inner fender trimming like the older 01-07 body style benefited so much from.  Short readying says it’s the same process.

https://youtu.be/Usoa8LMUdvc

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 04:34:56 PM »
Today was tackle truck projects

Diodedynamics sent me some fog lights and low beam lights for now

Then I set out for the NorCal fender mod on the new truck.

Now to install the inner fender well and tire back on

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2021, 06:02:11 PM »
Finished and I got it all put back together. Tires and all
I got about 2 1/2 inches overall.   I failed to measure what it was before.   But from my previous finger check it went from three to four fingers of room

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 06:43:53 PM »
Next up is the doughy country level kit 3” raise

The angles of the cv axle leave some to be desired but as long at high torque boosted launches are not in the future it should ride along just fine

Here are some installed photos

I can fit two fingers under the control arm instead of previously a business card wouldn’t fit.

The rear got a one inch block to match the front height needed to clear the 285/65r20 -44 offset wheels. 

I have a decent amount of tire stick n out

A nice set of front bad back mud flaps are on the order along with a new chrome exhaust to keep with the trend of chrome on the truck

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 06:47:01 PM »
I know I’ll hear an ear full from some about my street queen but I’m am ok with it that way. My day to day activities don’t involve a farm, ranch, dirt road driveway, the three times a year this truck goes off road will usually be followed by my 24’ enclosed trailer and no amount of lift and off-road capability will tow that off any serous off road trial.

I’ll buy a Jew rubicon and have Shawn fix it up if need be in the future.

Until then this is what it is my four mile a day daily driver.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 09:37:39 PM »
No ear full about it’s capabilities in mall mulch beds but I might give you some grief about that brand of lift kit……  :wink:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 09:43:47 PM »
Get a real lift kit and get the cv angles right. IMO

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 10:25:29 PM »
Get a real lift kit and get the cv angles right. IMO

I didn’t expect them to be so drastic but in order to clear these stupid offset wheels that’s as high as he needed to turn it up,  the original plan was leave it low low and no block in the back.  Until he started seeing the rubbing. Then up it went,  I think it will get new wheels in the not so distant future and bring them in a little and down a good bit on lift.   Putting the cv axle angles in a good position for long term use

Time will come soon enough

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2021, 09:49:58 PM »
Ok today was first drive on the highway for an extended period and wow it feels terrible!!! Looking for some input or thoughts

First off

The kit is not maxed out all the way up.

I know the shocks from Rough Country and pure trash!

I did check my tore pressure and found them to be high for the type of driving. 65 in one, 50 in the other three. Thanks discount tire.

I adjusted the air down to 42 where I felt lots more comfortable via I am not towing.

How it feels:
The freeway has multiple overpasses and on them the joints from road to bridge the bumps can be rather aggressive if you will.   The truck bounces one good solid  bounce where I can still feel the suspension bottom out. Then it continues to bounce like the ghetto mini van with blow to hell shocks in the rear but it’s the front of my truck bouncing for three or four more bounces. Think sea sick.

I can see on the shaft of the shock it isn’t fully compressing, I don’t have a method to check the full drop except this idea of putting kids chalk on the rubber side of the stop and seeing if it rubs off when I return home?  Other suggestions would be great

Otherwise the level kit is coming off, it will get set back to stock and drive as is or get and actual lift as suggested.

As it sits I flipping hate how it drives !!

Also the alignment shop has it again to center my steering wheel lol brand new truck and the wheel points to 10:30 not 12:00 and fix the toe in issue.

Otherwise any advise to fix the current problem would be great

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2021, 04:50:14 AM »
The steering wheel is a simple adjustment of drag link typically loosen two bolts on adjustment collar and rotate until wheel is straight and tighten back up.

Beyond that, any kit other than RC and some real shocks, sorry it’s a new Chevy not really in my wheel house on who’s kit to use I just know RC is the cheapest and crappiest way to go with any vehicle.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2021, 08:33:38 AM »
Ok today was first drive on the highway for an extended period and wow it feels terrible!!! Looking for some input or thoughts

First off

The kit is not maxed out all the way up.

I know the shocks from Rough Country and pure trash!

I did check my tore pressure and found them to be high for the type of driving. 65 in one, 50 in the other three. Thanks discount tire.

I adjusted the air down to 42 where I felt lots more comfortable via I am not towing.

How it feels:
The freeway has multiple overpasses and on them the joints from road to bridge the bumps can be rather aggressive if you will.   The truck bounces one good solid  bounce where I can still feel the suspension bottom out. Then it continues to bounce like the ghetto mini van with blow to hell shocks in the rear but it’s the front of my truck bouncing for three or four more bounces. Think sea sick.

I can see on the shaft of the shock it isn’t fully compressing, I don’t have a method to check the full drop except this idea of putting kids chalk on the rubber side of the stop and seeing if it rubs off when I return home?  Other suggestions would be great

Otherwise the level kit is coming off, it will get set back to stock and drive as is or get and actual lift as suggested.

As it sits I flipping hate how it drives !!

Also the alignment shop has it again to center my steering wheel lol brand new truck and the wheel points to 10:30 not 12:00 and fix the toe in issue.

Otherwise any advise to fix the current problem would be great

Dave I think a lot of it is that the physics of the thing is working against you.

Let me explain. Think of the control arms for a moment. Perhaps anchor the eraser of a pencil (Simulated control arm) to a point on a table top. Make a mark when the pencil is extended all the way out. Now droop the pencil several inches while holding the eraser in place. Make a second mark

Now compare the distance from a vertical reference between the first and second mark. Some difference, right? Well suspension arms should be running more or less flat, some droop perhaps, but not excessive like yours are now. When you hit a bump, the body accelerates downward. flattening the arms. Each arm is moving the body inward, and against the other arm. That sudden jolt is acting like a pinching moment where the suspension is shoving the body inward from both sides which in turn is trying to shove the suspension outward against the tires.

That is a dynamic binding of the suspension bodies and results in that abruptness. Now couple that with crappy shocks (RC) and tires with a lot of grip and you should have a pretty crappy ride...But at least you look good.

Remedy: Stock suspension angles and tire sizes or a properly designed suspension for the tire size you want to use.
By comparison, m 10 year old Fabtech 6" lift rides like butter.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 08:34:46 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2021, 12:17:29 AM »
From the shop:

For some unknown reason the lift had grown 2” from when it left the shop.

I dropped it off to have the alignment fixed and to verify the install.

They showed me the measurements on paper from where they had the truck sitting and showed me where it had grown(?). For some reason it was sitting about at its maximum level of lift and they can not explain why. My ride was harsh at impact of highway bump because the front shocks had maxed out on drop. The bump stops where not catching it.

The owner of the shop assured me of hundreds of installs with very pleased customers and he had not had one complaint until me which put up red flags of a problem to him. He took it for a drive the Am and didn’t make it for down the highway before he knew something was very wrong, one exit was all he could stand. The investigation showed the level being way off, and that could very well be the difference in ride quality. They lowered the truck, took out the rear block, re aligned the thing and drove again and amazing it maintained good performance on the highway and he was happy with it. They called Me and asked if I would try it for a week snd see what I thought,

We talked about doing a zone 5” and new shocks to match, but wanted to have me run it for a min before I make a choice. But as for the drive home it all seems ok minus the junk shocks.

Tires rub a very little on the front bumper and inner fender well but a zip tie will fix that for a min

They also switched tires around and determined the 65-75 mph vib has to be tire wear or balance issue but on their tire machine was not able to do any more for it. He will get me a tire quote tomorrow as he waited in the parking lot after closing time.

All in all I will drive it for a week

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2021, 12:21:37 AM »
Also installed a much less expensive polished exhaust to get rid of that ugly horn out the back tonight

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
Dave’s 2017 LP5 3500hd duramax
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2021, 01:41:08 AM »
This company here is violating their sales agreement with Banks Performance buy selling products below market price,  it will be fixed by Saturday!

https://performancetruckproducts.com/
Discount code Banks10

But I took advantage of their mistakes which I don’t know What happens after but I saved $160 bucks on my order which gave me my ram air, I dash, pedal monster, derringer program thingy, for $1400

« Last Edit: July 29, 2021, 01:43:51 AM by Bigdave_185 »

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2021, 09:19:51 AM »
Dave,

Not sure about the current kits, but when i was shopping lift kits for both my Silverado in 2012 and my Suburban a couple years ago, I ruled out the zone kit. From what I recall there were the way expensive kits like Cognito and Fabtech, and one or two more (BDS??) which were quite expensive but that was because of all the extra engineering and associated parts in those kits. Then there was everyone else.

The big crossover point was with where the company decided to place the torsion bars. Cheap kits simply lowered the bars and you end up looking like you are carrying a ladder underneath the truck. I used Fabtech and was it Cognito on the burb, but the bracket required to tuck those torsion bars up where they belong amounted to a couple of substantial fixtures and the spindle to accommodate all that. The result was something I was very satisfied with. But that's just me.

If you just want to get tall and don't care about suspension pieces hanging out in the breeze, well, each to his own.

In summary: "No zone" or maybe just leave it stock.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2021, 12:03:52 PM »
This company here is violating their sales agreement with Banks Performance buy selling products below market price,  it will be fixed by Saturday!

https://performancetruckproducts.com/
Discount code Banks10

But I took advantage of their mistakes which I don’t know What happens after but I saved $160 bucks on my order which gave me my ram air, I dash, pedal monster, derringer program thingy, for $1400

It's happening all over the internet with the huge demand in truck and car parts. Companies are racing to the bottom on the lowest price bid to compete w/ Amazon to get the sale while cutting their throats in the same breath. I deal with it daily. Just ask Seth, half my stuff you can get on Amazon for less than i can manufacture it because they don't care about losing $$ on items because they make it hand over fist in subscriptions. point being, if Amazon is the seller, and it's several hundred under whatever everyone else is selling it for, buy it. might not ship, but if it does their loss and your gain. i can't win with forcing them to adjust MAP agreed upon pricing, so I'm letting people know about it so they get hosed in the margins. maybe after a while they'll see the losses add up...
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2021, 02:25:18 PM »
It’s why I charge more for labor when they provide parts or refuse to install them altogether

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2021, 08:48:59 PM »
Duraflaps have arrived and installed super simple ten min clamp system to make it a zero drill install and no holes in your fenders are used

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2021, 10:23:32 AM »
Dave has officially entered “old man” territory. Welcome!

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2021, 10:26:52 AM »
Dave has officially entered “old man” territory. Welcome!

I haven’t got my club member sticker in the mail yet but I feel very welcome so far.

Did some freeway time in the truck yesterday.  I’m pretty sure it’s just going to get some bilsteins shocks and call it good

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2021, 10:43:20 AM »
Personally even as an old guy I would go extra coverage fender flares and smaller flaps if you are going to hang that much tire out past the wells.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2021, 11:12:43 AM »
I’m not particularly found of the look of this body styles flairs

I do plan on cutting some height out of these.  Just a little tall on the fender but other wise I’m happy with em

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2021, 11:47:12 AM »
Could always have em linex a stone guard

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2021, 01:21:35 PM »
I am not familiar with stone guard. What are those pal?

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2021, 08:21:09 PM »

Linex bedliner sprayed in high impact areas. Like along rockers etc.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2021, 09:05:01 AM »

Mostly clear line-X

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2021, 09:28:02 AM »

Mostly clear line-X

Yup, unless you want a two tone look……

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2021, 12:31:57 PM »

Mostly clear line-X

Yup, unless you want a two tone look……
So GM has a kind of texture product on the bottom of all the quarter panels that I think does similar to what your suggestion.  It however doesn’t go excessively high up the bottom.   Maybe three inches on the bottom of the door is all

Off getting window tint

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2021, 07:05:46 PM »
Banks intake installed

Under rear seat storage box installed

Kids birthed at gift a complete hit!

Window tint installed and clear as can be. Such an improvement over the cheap product that was on it before

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2021, 03:49:58 PM »
Got my banks pedal monster, derringer, and I dash installed last night.
First thoughts

wow lots and lots of information. Way beyond the usefulness of a regular user in my opinion.

Install video was basic and to the point. How to start device could use some work for sure.

First drive was a little dicy I had some of the pedal control setting set a touch sensitive!  I could skip the whole truck sideway with only a 1/4 press of the pedal! So back to the setting I went and turned everything down.   

After fussing with it I gave up and messaged the rep from banks and I tell you what customer service is top notch!!! He sent me a message back, sent me his cell number, talked me through what it’s doing and I have an appointment to talk with him when I get back to the truck to do a complete reset, update and program it.   

I’ll let ya know after that takes place

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2021, 11:19:03 PM »
Does it turn off the govenor?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2021, 08:08:13 AM »
Does it turn off the govenor?
Sadly no it doesn’t yet.   The gent I talked with last night says it’s in the works. Mid next year and possibly a software update or a new I dash

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2021, 09:49:46 AM »
Isn't the tail pipe horn important, unless the truck is deleted?

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2021, 10:01:34 AM »
My understanding is no,  banks makes a dpf back kit that has none of that stuff on it

However I didn’t cut my pipe back that far.  That vent or slotted area is still intact it’s just behind the one I added. 

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2021, 02:36:11 PM »
Gotcha,

So it's still able to suck cooler air into those slots? To keep it from melting your bumper and fender when it regens? I haven't been on the DF forum in a while, so haven't kept up on that stuff.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2021, 10:17:37 PM »
Gotcha,

So it's still able to suck cooler air into those slots? To keep it from melting your bumper and fender when it regens? I haven't been on the DF forum in a while, so haven't kept up on that stuff.
When looking at new trucks I jumped a little further then I had in years.  Follow one or two threads  but otherwise.   Needed to brush up and learn the details on these new ones.  I ll take a photo tonight when I get out to the garage of the inner and outer section

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2021, 11:29:35 PM »
Ken

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2021, 11:31:37 PM »
With talking to the Banks performance tech. He said the only restriction on the stock exhaust is this cone at the end of the tube, it necks down almost two inches and drastically reduces the air flow.   I have tried to talk myself into modding the exhaust off and cutting that section out, maybe two inches of pipe and reattaching as is. Just with out that little reduction. But I haven’t done it yet of course

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2021, 11:51:58 PM »
Oh, I see it now. I thought you covered those holes.
I wouldn't do anything to change the function of that section. During regen the exhaust can get over 1000 degrees. That "trumpet" sucks fresh air in so it drastically drops the temp before coming out (should help prevent burnt legs, fender paint, maybe even grass by the road!)

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2021, 12:32:07 AM »
The guy was telling me a parked regen can start vinyl fence on fire, scorch green grass, start brush on fire all of those things, interested to try it when that point comes.

I would leave the little arms in tact just cut the reducer portion off and re install

The mrbp and banks exhaust is manufactured with out the horn/air flow vents and doesn’t cause any issue. Unless of course you walk past it.    I think the idea is as long as the exhaust comes out past the body/bumper panels it should be fine.   But again the direction would be nice to change.  More out behind the tire instead of directed at the front corner of say… your camp trailer in tow

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal