Hello Guest

Author Topic: Another New Rifle thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  (Read 11524 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Rifle thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2019, 01:40:16 PM »
That is a good deal, hundreds less that what I paid and I got a good deal!

You saved me another $500, Thx

Now, I got the bipod in but the BT46 seems a little short for this guy. Thinking the 47 might work better?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 11:02:51 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2019, 08:23:15 AM »
That is the same size atlas I have and have never needed to go higher then what it can offer fully extended.  I don't even think I have ever fully extended the legs.  If I need to extend the legs at all it is just in the first or second notch.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2019, 10:38:40 AM »
Good to hear, what rifle you shooting, bench and prone?

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2019, 11:55:06 AM »
I am shooting a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action with a 26" Benchmark barrel chambered in 6.5CM.  The gunsmithing work was done by TS Customs.  I will be ordering a new barrel from him this winter as the current one is just about shot out and would recomend him to anybody looking for a custom bolt gun.  The rest of the setup is pretty budget friendly.  A KRG Bravo chassis/ stock and a Burris XTR II 5-25 optic with a mil-dot reticle.  I am wanting to upgrade the optic to a little better glass and different reticle over the winter also.  Ideally I would get a Tangent Theta but at this point the budget isn't going to allow a $4,000+ optic.  Will likely end up with a Razor or Steiner 5, maybe a Kahles.  I also picked up a Thunder Beast Arms certificate off a prize table a few weeks ago so planning on ordering a TBAC Ultra 7.  With the TBACs factory lead times and the nearly 12 month wait I am hoping to actually receive the suppressor for spring 2021 if I order this fall.

I shoot prone, modified prone, off a table or in any other position or off any other barricade the COF calls for.  Usually in a 9 or 10 stage match I am some sort of prone position for on average 3 stages.  If I am in a truly prone position I often times put the front legs out as in the pic below.  The lower the gun is to the ground the more stable the position, as long as you can get in behind it comfortably.

Here I am shooting off the "boat" stage.  The platform is suspended from cables and chains.  When you get on the platform it starts to swing and move.  Also the recoil from the shoot and working the bolt will cause the platform to swing.  Again I have the legs at a 45 to improve gun stability.

In some stages where real estate is at a minimum I will fold the legs back at a 45.  Here is an example where I should have done that.  If the legs would have been angled back I would have been able to get them on the barrel while moving the gun forward several inches.  This would have allowed me to get a bag or something under the rear of the gun to better support it for a better shot.

Just a standard prone position with the legs straight out but fully collapsed.  That is a 10 round mag.

Here is an example of a stage where some people would choose to deploy a bipod and others like myself use a bag.  I feel I am able to create a more stable position with the bag.  The downside to this is it is another piece of equipment I need to pick-up, move and position on the clock.  The bag I am using under the gun here is a Tacky Sack.  It's pretty versatile as both a bag under the gun as I am using here or as a rear bag when I have the bipod deployed out front.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 12:35:41 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2019, 12:41:31 PM »
Thx for the info and pics. Looks like you have a 10rnd mag too, right now I can only find 5s.

I got 50 rnds to sight in and play some (250gn SB and PPU). Got a lot of lapua brass coming with 285gn for loading, Looks like I can load for just over $1 a round depending how long the brass lasts.

I had a burris on my 7mm and the cross hair broke! They repaired free but got rid of that scope. Got an old 44mag on it now. Will put a vortex on it and a magazine kit (hate dropping that plate)

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2019, 01:01:56 PM »
I currently have a 5 and 10 round.  I need a 12.  I've dropped more then a few points where I ran out of time fumbling for an extra round or mag change.  I have no idea what or if you have any options for anything larger then a 5 for that caliber/ gun.

One of the most important factors for extending brass life is not overworking it when sizing.  I am by no means and expert but I full-length size and only bump the shoulder back as much as I need to. 

This is how I do it.  Important note here, it may take more then one firing before the brass expands to the size of your chamber and you need to bump the shoulder back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRu8NYCq9Y0

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2019, 01:11:36 PM »
Pretty sure I just need AICS mags so see what I can find. 5rnds should be OK for starts allowing the barrel to cool some. I have seen a couple guys who carry an extra couple rnds on the rifle side, might be an option when you need just a round or 2.

Just starting reloading. Have a Horandy progressive setup and just got the dies and shell holder. Just need powder and will only by 8lbs, 1lb doesn't go far with 338.

Watched a bunch of the 338 vids on YT, but need more info, thx for the link.

Thx

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2019, 01:58:59 PM »
This might work for your 6.5 mag; https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021624375?pid=935093

Looks like AI might have 10rnds for the 338.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2019, 09:07:38 PM »
I've been looking at either an AW or ARC mags.  They are double stack instead of single and keep may length down.  Sometimes a long mag can get in the way.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2019, 09:29:24 PM »
Burris XTR II 5-25 optic with a mil-dot reticle.  I am wanting to upgrade the optic to a little better glass and different reticle over the winter also

So....
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2019, 11:05:15 PM »
Burris XTR II 5-25 optic with a mil-dot reticle.  I am wanting to upgrade the optic to a little better glass and different reticle over the winter also

So....

So...what???

The Burris served me well for going on 3 years.   It tracks great, and for a $1000 scope at the time the glass is pretty good.  I can tell a noticeable difference though in some of the harsher conditions though.  On a hot day it doesn't handle mirage as well as some of the better optics I've had to look through.  Also in wet, rainy conditions it's not as great as some of the better optics. 
The reticle is also just a mil-dot reticle.  Again, it worked great for the first few years but now that I have some experience I have a better idea of what I want.  Something like the 7c the Razor offers would be just about ideal I think.  I like that it has .2 mil increments instead of just .5 mil.  A little more precise for both making holds and measuring misses.  I want some amount of a Christmas tree style reticle to allow me to hold for both windage and elevation at the same time but not super busy like the Horus (I think that's what it's called).  Also every other mil is numbered on the 7c.  Currently mine isn't numbered.  It doesn't seem like a big deal but it's easy to miscount and get flustered when you are trying to make your shot on the clock. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2019, 01:26:34 AM »
My Razor is the 7C and it seems busy to me with the tree below. Maybe its just me and will want it later.

Yep, I think the standard AI will work for mine and are double stack with 10 rnd. Stock Mags are stamped "Accurate Mag".

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2019, 10:48:36 PM »
Some good history here about ammo.

https://youtu.be/zpkhCVeA-V4

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 26, 2019, 10:23:43 PM »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2020, 10:27:46 PM »
After a few months of waiting for a blem I asked about possible shipping times. Was told when they get em, so will I. New from them was $1550, still a good deal.

However I found it new for $100 less even with tax at Optics, so I canceled the liberty order.

Also picked up some powder and other reloading supplies to try out some loads, finally.

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal