Hello Guest

Author Topic: Kel Tec KSG bullpup shotgun  (Read 2226 times)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Kel Tec KSG bullpup shotgun
« on: February 20, 2020, 08:27:43 PM »
Hey guys, any input on this thing? I am looking for something for home use. I started looking at the Mossberg and Remington tactical and came upon one of these local. 14 plus one in the chamber isn't a bad thing and in a short package without the removable mag in the way. Add the front hand grip and I think it would be a nice addition. You all have much more experience than me what do you think?

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Kel Tec KSG bullpup shotgun
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 08:31:49 PM »
I remember when they first came out people put grips on the front and they ended up breaking them off, or something like that. I honestly don't think I've ever seen one fired in person. I do remember that you have to swap between the tubes, they don't just start feeding, there's a small lever you have to flip between tube 1 and 2.  For the money, I'd just recommend an 870, 500 or if you want semi auto and can't or don't want to drop the Benelli M4 price tag then the Mossberg 930 is a valid option.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:33:58 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 09:14:34 PM »

Thank you for the input Bobby. Yes I read a bunch about the front grip breaking and the operator loosing hand parts as a result. The thought was/is the grip only had one bolt holding it on but who knows for sure. Even having to move a lever is as quick as or faster than removing a mag and inserting another. I just am not that much into shotgun brands and had heard KelTec is not at the top of the list. I do like the short overall length, but still haven't convinced myself to drop the coin on this brand.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 09:31:52 PM »
Bob, check out the vintage. The first and earlier runs of that gun had some problems. Some of them were literally blowing up. Metallurgy problem I think. But that has been cleaned up and the current runs are all safe
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 09:49:02 PM »
Bob, if you don’t mind a pump I’d suggest the 870 or 500. Add the tube extension and the 5 shot saddle back. Then take a tactical shotgun course, I keep slugs on the saddle and OO in the tube. Part of a good shotgun course they teach you how and when to manipulate slugs into the chamber.

The semi autos are nice but personally feel it’s easier to manipulate the pump guns. I personally went into my first shotgun course not sure if I’d learn much as I’ve hunted everything with an 870 since I was 12 years old from whitetail to pheasant.

The capabilities of a shotgun from a tactical aspect make it a precision weapon, something I never would have guessed was possible. My limited 2 cents.....
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 10:34:22 AM »
Bob, if you don’t mind a pump I’d suggest the 870 or 500. Add the tube extension and the 5 shot saddle back. Then take a tactical shotgun course, I keep slugs on the saddle and OO in the tube. Part of a good shotgun course they teach you how and when to manipulate slugs into the chamber.

The semi autos are nice but personally feel it’s easier to manipulate the pump guns. I personally went into my first shotgun course not sure if I’d learn much as I’ve hunted everything with an 870 since I was 12 years old from whitetail to pheasant.

The capabilities of a shotgun from a tactical aspect make it a precision weapon, something I never would have guessed was possible. My limited 2 cents.....

Concur with you here Shawn. I set up the tac light to mimic the actual spread. if the wife's using it at home she knows if it's in the light, it dies. polymer stock and slide, short barrel and collapsible stock, pretty short and much lighter and easy to handle. never had a problem with it, ever since 1992
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 10:44:28 AM »
I guess I could weigh in on the "ole-reliable" argument. My go to protection gun is a Mossberg 500 persuader. I purchased it for the days in the Armee when we carried our own weapons. (Yes there are some places in the Armee where you can carry whatever you want).

That shotgun spent a lot of time in Central America, in those wet jungles in the mid 80's and it is still viable and dependable today, 35 years later (Whoa, am I really that old?)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 01:52:56 PM »
Something else, part of the reason I always go to an 870 is my familiarity with that platform. I don’t really have to think or see for that matter to operate it. I can work it silently in pitch black and know if safety is on or off (mossberg 500 actually wins here with thumb safety) and know if I have a round in the chamber silently opening the breech (Remington wins the quiet test here).

Once in our farmhouse where all bedrooms are up stairs we had the first floor covered in motion sensors. My youngest decided to sleep walk down stairs and set off the alarm. From the landing bathroom I could see directly into our downstairs fireplace room and cover the stair well too. I was grateful for barrel control and being taught to never point a gun until I could verify the target that night.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 04:40:32 PM »
35 years later (Whoa, am I really that old?)

Well considering I'm only 36..
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 04:41:30 PM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 04:35:06 PM »
Well, having both a Moss 500 and a Winchester Semi for hunting, I got the KSG several years ago. I have shot it many time on the range and outdoors.

I love the gun, no issues except you cannot baby it when racking it. Perhaps that will get better, but knowing that is OK.

Yep, you have to select which mag, no big deal but I added the extension for that. Also have the door breach muzzle device and keep a light on it.

I love that it is compact, holds 14 rounds, legal in ALL states and you can turn in a doorway without lowering the muzzle.

They are about 1/2 what I paid for mine (factory LEO purchase) but would get another in a second.

Kids like the Mossberg better and it is fine too. 20in barrel, 8 rounds.

No pics I can find right now, but mine is black and OD, just what there was when ordered.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2020, 10:58:19 AM »

Thanks for the information. A Mossberg 930 SPX will be following me home.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 11:56:12 AM »

Thanks for the information. A Mossberg 930 SPX will be following me home.
Bob, that's the gun I carry in my truck with me everywhere.

I will caution you to clean it once in awhile. In the truck, a dusty environment it collects dirt. One day I had it out and was having members of the security team run it through a short course. It was hot and had run 100-200 rounds and it started to malfunction. Failure to feed. It was due to the gun being dirty. Now the gun ran great for all the time up to that point, so it is like the old school gas operated AR platforms getting crudded up. A pump would never have failed to function, maybe you'd have applied more horsepower to operate it, but you could make it run. I prefer the auto gun because of my Army experience. Thinking of crashes and getting out, you almost always have something broken and not working properly, like a hand, arm foot, shoulder and so forth. Therefore an auto gun will shoot and keep shooting with only one arm and hand to play with. The reasoning doesn't necessarily apply to the happy homeowner experience, and I am only sharing information.

M930: Good choice.

Offline B-Mac

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 03:39:08 PM »
Hey guys, any input on this thing? I am looking for something for home use. I started looking at the Mossberg and Remington tactical and came upon one of these local. 14 plus one in the chamber isn't a bad thing and in a short package without the removable mag in the way. Add the front hand grip and I think it would be a nice addition.

I have enjoyed the 870's and 500's for years and I got a good deal on a 2nd,gen KSG a few years back and have gotten use to the design and operation of the bullpup monster. I have an extended tube selector to use the base of the thumb to go from slug to ooB. I like the short design/capacity. I think it may be home/yard tool but not for a day at the range. I still have my Mossberg for re-qual and range.
2013 Honda Ridgeline,   2015 Suzuki-DL1000,
2013 Kawasaki-Z1000    2021 Honda Monkey

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2020, 03:48:58 PM »
I agree on most points. I too have the extended selector and the breach muzzle and keep a light on it. No lazar needed on these.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 07:16:29 PM »
I'd like to hear more

I am a shotgun guy from way back in my Armee days. I have all sorts from mossy's to the black ace tactical 7" to saigas to field guns. But I like the simplicity and size of that bullpup.

I was well on my way to owning one when they started blowing up, so I walked away and never looked again.

Please share your likes/dislikes of this gun PP.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 09:35:44 PM »
I paid 1200 for mine 10 years ago when hard to get. Mine is also OD/black.

Seen them recently for around $700, great deal IMHO.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline B-Mac

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 10:23:17 AM »
As a old guy now at 62 I recommend a "Managed-Recoil Round" (1145fps) for a day at the range with this Bullpup. It helped me with follow up shots. Also the rubber cushion stock cover is nice. Come to think of it I am turning into old deteriorated rubber myself. (YMMV)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 05:36:55 PM »
Oh man, two shotguns later since I ask, and now you guys got me thinking I want one of these still.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 07:43:57 PM »
As a old guy now at 62 I recommend a "Managed-Recoil Round" (1145fps) for a day at the range with this Bullpup. It helped me with follow up shots. Also the rubber cushion stock cover is nice. Come to think of it I am turning into old deteriorated rubber myself. (YMMV)
And that's a B-Mac you're ridin'?

Not actin' sixty somethin'!  ;-))

Offline B-Mac

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2020, 06:49:59 PM »
 I am Starting to feel old in the AM.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2020, 08:01:26 PM »
Less recoil as it a heavy pup. Funny, I never worried about recoil with a shotgun.

62?, will be there in june and I do start slower all the time now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2020, 09:18:37 PM »
Turned 66 yesterday, still motoring along just fine!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal