Hello Guest

Author Topic: choices of LSD/Lockers - which and why?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
choices of LSD/Lockers - which and why?
« on: January 26, 2015, 11:36:19 PM »
Gents, I'm at my outer limit of experience when it comes to LSD/Lockers.  When we raced, it was spool or nothing.

For my 2001 LB7, I'm investigating upgrades to the front and rear diffs.  I will probably start with the front.

What brands/types do you like and why?  I like the idea of a selectable locker like the ARB and I plan on having on board air like I do on the Dually.  If I have it in 4WD, its going to be off road and will benefit from a locking front diff.

I wouldst greatly appreciate the input and knowledge of the finest men
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: choices of LSD/Lockers - which and why?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:54:26 AM »
* I don't have a locker/haven't ever had one in my personal vehicle*

I prefer the selectable ones, like the ARB. Why? Well for a chunk of the year, I'm driving on snow(not the fluffy stuff, the compacted,slick,slippery crap), black ice, regular ice and the superb combo of all of it mixed together. A full time locker just won't work out very well. Some people love it, and use them all the time, but me... I'd rather only have it be there when I NEED it on, not when it feels like it needs to engage itself.. usually at the worst time.

That's my .02
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:21:12 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 07:52:09 AM »
RN, You want a Yukon Grizzly locker in the back hands down.
I'm completely confident in saying that is the best locker made, and you can't tell it's back there. It unlocks when going around corners because normally you are light on the throttle or coasting, then the moment you apply significant power, that power pushes the locking mechanism to engage and then just like magic you have 100% traction.

I run one in my LML Silvy in that 11.5 AAM axle and it is simply perfect!

As for the front, you have the 9.5" diff and I believe Yukon is making a Zip Locker which is an American made ARB style air locker. You don't want to be driving around with the front locked up or even semi locked as in with a limited slip because it makes going around tight corners a non starter. Remember the days on the farm tractor when you had the rear axle locked then tried to turn?? Remember how it fought the turn?? Well same-same only worse when the front is locked.

Page back some on the SquareD build and you can see a zip locker in the dana 60 in that truck.

Contact Tate on this site for parts and pricing. He has all of that stuff and will be able to get really technical with you.

In Summary:

Rear axle: Grizzly locker

Front diff: Yukon Zip air selectable locker
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 10:33:57 AM »
Gents, I'm at my outer limit of experience when it comes to LSD/Lockers.  When we raced, it was spool or nothing.

For my 2001 LB7, I'm investigating upgrades to the front and rear diffs.  I will probably start with the front.

What brands/types do you like and why?  I like the idea of a selectable locker like the ARB and I plan on having on board air like I do on the Dually.  If I have it in 4WD, its going to be off road and will benefit from a locking front diff.

I wouldst greatly appreciate the input and knowledge of the finest men

Redneck,

Grizzly locker for the rear is a great choice. Brute strength, 100% traction with fewer moving parts. For the front diff, the only current selectable locker is an eaton Electric locker. If you check back on CMAX thread you'll see where we all learned the hard way that they only fit 2010 and older. (perfect for your rig). Selectability without the air compressor, and the size of the front diff makes it a tough bastard.

That being said, if you tow more often than not, I actually will talk you out of the Grizzly and into a True Trac. The True Trac is a limited slip, so you won't see 100% lockup, but you will also not ever know it's there under normal driving. the downside is if you get one wheel on ice or wet grass or off camber, you may have to feather the brakes to get it to engage as it requires a small amount of resistance to the unloaded tire to transfer torque. it is also directionally cut, so it doesn't have much traction in reverse. The Grizzly locker's downside is that under heavy load, it can be difficult to get the locker to disengage in tight corners making parking lot negotiations more difficult. If traction and strength are of higher value to you, however, do like Don and many others and just go with the Grizzly. You won't be disappointed.

I have many distributors in the lone star state, but can also take care of you personally. Please ask any questions you may have.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:39:51 AM by EL TATE »
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 06:51:08 PM »
Funny as I have been looking at these too, both for my 06 Dmax and the Sub. I have had one of those drop in lockers in my old 77 GMC and hated it!! You would turn a little sometimes and get on it, and it would unlock, then BANG!!!! It worked OK cept for that.

For the DMax, I have been looking hard at the TruTrac. At least for the front but up in the air in the back. I think a locker would be nice, but the trutracs have been around a long time and never have to be rebuilt. I like when I get on the throttle you have it all to both wheels as they need it.

For the Sub, I am thinking the same way. I want NOTHING I have to rebuild or rely on AIR to work, just me.

I AM NO EXPERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JMHO
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 08:01:43 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »
JR, you've got the independent front suspension or is it still a solid axle under your burban? if it's IFS you're in the same boat as Redneck; Eaton Elocker as the only option. For the solid axle 8.5 on the other hand, the sky's the limit. The true tracs are great units; only downside being directionally cut, so reverse is sketchy, but ideal for street. There is a true trac available for the 10.5 14 bolt rear that is massive. (about 45 lbs).

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 05:08:08 PM »
JR, you've got the independent front suspension or is it still a solid axle under your burban? if it's IFS you're in the same boat as Redneck; Eaton Elocker as the only option. For the solid axle 8.5 on the other hand, the sky's the limit. The true tracs are great units; only downside being directionally cut, so reverse is sketchy, but ideal for street. There is a true trac available for the 10.5 14 bolt rear that is massive. (about 45 lbs).
Tate, I don't want to be speaking for JR, but I thought he was going to slide a Dana 60 from a Dodge truck under the burb, or was that Duane???
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline EL TATE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 06:06:33 PM »
Sounds like what I would do, but I'm just looking for baseline information. I figured he'd chime in this afternoon with the facts.

Online JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 10:02:35 PM »
Yep, a 60 is going under the sub.

Kinda looking for another one though as the dodge unit is wider at the spring mounts (1 inch) and swapping to internal locking hubs makes going chevy cheaper in the end. I will drive it on the 10 bolt for now until the deal comes along.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 10:10:47 AM »
Dodge Dana 60 is going under mine too.

OldKooT

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 04:51:27 PM »
JR..... ya know you can get offset spring bushings to make the Dodge axle a bolt in. Off Road Design sells some last I checked. Wish we were closer I'd trade you a Chevy 60 for the Dodge.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal