Hello Guest

Author Topic: Miss Daisy's Resto  (Read 44819 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Miss Daisy's Resto
« on: February 22, 2015, 11:23:02 AM »
here is a teaser for now, I just woke up and need some caffeine and breakfast.  once I get around this morning I will get some more pictures.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 05:22:48 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• View Profile
Re: tracey's 78 Chevy 4x4 3/4 ton long bed
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 12:29:15 PM »
Is that a K20? Looks like a dana 44 up front like my old 77.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 12:30:21 PM by JR »
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 02:59:41 PM »
What are your and Miss Tracy's plans for the truck?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 04:18:21 PM »
Good for you guys, glad you were able to find a way to drag it home....and wow, what a nice, and very long, trailer!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »
Everything in Texas is bigger, apparently even the trailers!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 05:23:53 PM »
Golly that is a long trailer!

I'm excited to see what you have planned for this! I've always loved the chev square bodies.
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 07:21:08 PM »
^^Agree.   What are the plans?

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 08:51:37 PM »
I guess the caffeine kicked in and he is hard at work.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 09:13:54 PM »
ok folks, calm down a little.  the caffine did kick in and removed all of the compacted class I that I had stuck in the system yesterday and I was able to do a little something today.  I have 85 pictures to upload  and I will get them posted.  so give me a few and Ill get to work.

that trailer was a 20' with a 4' dove tail, so 24' all together.  it was made with 8" "C" channel steel and had 2x 7k axels with electric breaks on each wheel.  tracey tried to give me crap for backing it on the trailer, but when I explained to her that a majority of the weight needed to be over the axels to ensure we had a smooth 4hr ride home, she said ok and she understood (she was a 18 wheel truck driver for a while, so she does understand a little bit of loading cargo).  I will say that that trailer pulled so smoothly, that when I was doing 75mph I had to constantly look to ensure that it was still there.   there was so weight distro bars or anything special.

now if somebody would like to donate $4k to me for purchase of that trailer, then I would be glad to accept it and use it to its full advantage.

now give me a few and let me post a few pics for you all to see this gem that tracey has gotten.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2015, 10:27:24 PM »
none of these are in order so.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2015, 10:34:44 PM »

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 10:35:51 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2015, 10:43:27 PM »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2015, 10:50:55 PM »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 11:30:32 PM »
so hopefully all of these pictures are showing up for you guys and gals.  if not, blame don for whatever he messed with this afternoon on the site.  lol

so this is what I know about this truck.  it is a 78, long bed, 4x4 camper special.  according to the build codes, it came with a 350 4 bolt main, and had commifornia emissions on it as well.  It also came with dual tanks which I would guess to be about 20-25 gal a piece.  I will call the stealership tomorrow and give them the vin number and see if they can print me the actual build sheet. 

it looks as though it has the NP205 x-case and a TB350 transmission.  I am not sure about the axels yet as everything needs to be pressure washed (as you can see from the pictures).  once I get everything cleaned, i will need assistance in identifying what axels are in it.  All in all this truck does not appear to have any leaks, but time will tell on that. 

there are 3 spots of concern on the body.  one spot is on the rear of the front fender which is showing signs of rust which is causing the paint to bubble a little, a couple of areas on the bottom side of the drivers door and the wife was showing me that the bottom rear corner of the driver side cab there may be some bondo there because the magnet will not stick and you can see some waves as well.

the maroon color is not the original color and looks to have been sprayed over the original paint.  who ever did the paint just did the exterior and did not go inside at all (as you can see on the doors and in the cab and bed.

the dash is completely gone and needs a complete replacement, as well as all of the gauges need replacing because they are actually falling apart from the inside out.  the wiring is a bit of a mess but does not look too bad to straighten up. 

the A/C was completely removed, so that will be a good chunk of $$$$ to get the parts replaced and updated.

the ignition lock cylinder is missing the retaining screw and I will have to either go to the junk yard or just order a new one and get that fixed.  there has also been a kill switch that was MacGyvered in there and will either have to be repaired or removed. 

I could go on and on about the little crap that is wrong, but overall tracey got one heck of a deal on a truck that is 36 years old and has basically minor issues.

it will get all of the fluids changed and upgraded as well as all of the steering and brake components and be used as her daily driver while time and money allow for restoration.  she really wants to get out of her kia and drive something she feels safe driving around all of these illegals we have running around here.

what is the plan for this vehicle?  truthfully I am still working with her on that.  she seems to be leaning pretty close to stock, with upgrades to stuff that will improve the overall durability, reliability and longevity.  she has basically stated that she wants this to be around for a good 20-30 years (she is aware that there will be maintenance that has to be done to it to maintain it to that standard).  we are still working on the color scheme and some of the major components like engine and drive train in regards to the direction we want to go, so it will stay gas for now.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:36:18 PM by nmeyer414 »

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2015, 01:36:11 AM »
That is a Dana 44 front and a turbo 350 trans.

Non Ca legal headers (no air tubes) but it would be cat free.

20 gallon tanks, the transfer valves always go bad.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2015, 06:56:07 AM »
Very nice truck for the age and price!

Around here, there are several of those along the roadside, you just have to pick up all the microscopic pieces and put them in the correct molecular locations and you have one!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2015, 07:46:05 AM »
JR, sure that is a D44?

Looks like a ball joint 10 bolt, but I have to admit I am not sure. 10 bolts on the front cover I think...

NP205, concur

Reminds me of SquareD when I found it...And we know where that went...

So, Nate, just going to change the fluids and freshen it up  ;)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2015, 08:45:49 AM »
don, if I had the shop space and the tools you have I would do a complete restore.  but little by little it will get returned to glory.  are all of the pictures showing up or no?

Offline coopers grammy

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2015, 09:20:20 AM »
Aesthetically I would love to bring is back to 1978. Engine, Transmission, Rear end and so on would like to put the best we can in it. Would LOVE this to be my daily drive. For her being 36 years old she quit impressive I'm in love  ;D
Tracey

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2015, 09:39:56 AM »
The rear is definitely a 14 bolt. I have yet to break mine in 29 years even after burning through 3 performance clutches and about 7 sets of 36" tires!....and I'm with JR, that should be a 44 up front, in '78...but the pic won't load for me.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 09:42:38 AM by KensAuto »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »
Well this will be fun

Square Chevys along with the high-boy Fords and the old Dodges are great trucks. We need a square Chevy resto going on here so we can learn all about these great trucks as well.

Let me know how I can help!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2015, 10:31:31 AM »
If the pics are having issues loading, I will repost them later this evening.

who has the high boy ford?

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2015, 11:12:48 AM »
Got the pics to work...it was my end I think.
The front is definitely a 44. It doesn't have the ears at the bottom like a 10 bolt. That lower right side 45* "gusset" will have a 44 with some other numbers cast in to it.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 11:41:44 AM »
good deal, once i get it cleaned up I will take a look and see what I can find.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 11:53:14 AM »
so, one of the first things I was trying to fix was the ignition cylinder lock (where the key goes into).  the entire assembly can be taken out and put back in with absolutely nothing preventing it.  I got the top part of the column taken apart hoping to find that the retention screw was the only thing missing.  well upon further inspection, I have come to find out that 78 was one of the last years that the cylinder locks were held in by a spring type clip and not a retention screw.  also upon further inspection, I have come to see that whoever was the genius that tried to replace it before broke the steering column where the cylinder lock goes into and held in place. 

now I either get to learn how to rebuild a steering column (which I have no idea how to do) or purchase a new one or get one from a junk yard.  here is a picture of the broken steering column piece.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 12:00:09 PM »
...are all of the pictures showing up or no?

Holy-picture-packed-post! 

Yes, they are showing up just fine.  Nice find, looks to be pretty solid, minimal rust.  Another good old southwest truck.   

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 12:38:57 PM »
Nate, nice find. T-case is NP203 which is highly common in the 3/4 tons. I parted out many of those trucks for the running gears here locally. The NP203 is chain driven versus the NP205 which is gear to gear. Those chains can stretch fyi and are problematic.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 01:43:17 PM »
203!!! My bad, looked like a 205, judging from the cover and output...looked a lot like mine on my 205.

That 203 is a full time case which can be converted to part time, I want to say that was a fairly common mod back in the day. Gas mileage on that truck is not good. Buddy of mine had one and it stayed in around 11mpg, so making that 203 part time and adding locking hubs might become a priority.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
...and on the tumblers, the retainer is actually part of the tumbler/switch. it is a "push button" design. Just buy a new one and slap it in. You will see what I mean, it has a flat button that only depresses when the key is turned to on. Looks like they busted out some of the hole, but shouldn't matter.
The spring steel thingy that goes in the rectangular hole is for the key buzzer....just leave it out.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 05:23:55 PM »
D44 confirmed. 10 bolt 8.5 corp. had completely round circumference on the cover. d44 is more like the deformed stop sign you see there. both were balljoint from 77-81 and 3/4 ton only option was d44 till '82. Looks like a really nice clean slate!
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 07:55:23 PM »
Also worth noting, Dana on all their housing marked them for what model they were in the center chunk casting. Most times especially on older axles such as this front unit you may need the assistance of a pocket knife (& for all you city slickers out there an old sos pad will work as well) to scrape the gunk off to reveal the inset cast number. It will be located cover side in the gusset below where the axle tube is pressed in. If memory serves me correctly it is right side as you face cover. So this particular axle will have a number "44" cast into it.

D44 confirmed. 10 bolt 8.5 corp. had completely round circumference on the cover. d44 is more like the deformed stop sign you see there. both were balljoint from 77-81 and 3/4 ton only option was d44 till '82. Looks like a really nice clean slate!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:07:20 PM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 08:49:39 PM »
Also worth noting, Dana on all their housing marked them for what model they were in the center chunk casting. Most times especially on older axles such as this front unit you may need the assistance of a pocket knife (& for all you city slickers out there an old sos pad will work as well) to scrape the gunk off to reveal the inset cast number. It will be located cover side in the gusset below where the axle tube is pressed in. If memory serves me correctly it is right side as you face cover. So this particular axle will have a number "44" cast into it.

Hmm, where have I read that before? :pokingShawn

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 09:32:17 PM »
Sorry, have posted that on numerous threads. Guess I forgot who I told! But glad to see you were listening none the less!!! ;)

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 09:48:57 PM »
I've probably learned a few things from you, but that one I already had under my belt!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »
what are some suggestions for a new thread name for this thread?  lets hear them.

this weekend if I can find a place to get the truck up in the air a little, I am going to spend quite a bit of time with the pressure washer underneath it.  living in the city limits of a city that places water restrictions on folks, I have to find a place away from nosey cry baby neighbors that like to start drama to make this happen.  So once everything has been given a good cleaning, I will be able to get a better idea of what it is that I am dealing with.

thank you all for the information on the front axle as well as the x-case.  I was actually under the impression that it was a 205, but after shawn's pointed that out I did some research and better educated myself.  so again, thank you shawn.

I do know this, shawn will be getting an order from me for some of those stout diff covers as well as the disk brake conversion kits he has talked about for the rear axle.

for those that have classic GM vehicles, I found this site https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/ to be very very informational and helpful.  some other information that I got yesterday was to the GM Archives.  their number is 734-462-5543 ext:163 / 734-261-5086 they can provide build sheets and original dealer/factory information on GM vehicles.

so here are the 3 things that happened yesterday.  1. I found a new hood at the junk yard in perfect condition for $75 and 2. I found a guy here in town that will repair/replace and rebuild the steering column for $150.  and 3. I have come to realize that I have to actually sit my happy butt down and make a check sheet of everything that needs to be worked on, because otherwise tracey and I will be completely overwhelmed.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 10:03:26 AM by nmeyer414 »

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »
1. what are some suggestions for a new thread name for this thread?  lets hear them.

2. actually sit my happy butt down and make a check sheet of everything that needs to be worked on, because otherwise tracey and I will be completely overwhelmed.

1. Let Tracey name it, it's her's right? Lol

2. Just buy boxes of parts and stack them in front of a window you like to look out at, it works for Chief, and look how smoothly his builds go... on second thought...
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 01:36:41 PM »
^^^ Yea, that's a good technique!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »
OK, project names

Old School
Back to basics
Roots
Back from the grave
Tracey's truck build
Tracey's truck
Survivor Chev
Project long haul
Chevy Resto
Build on a budget
Budget build
Resurrection
Chevy Reset
El Paso Chevy
Soldier's toy
Mamma's build
Mommas toy
Frame-up
Bumper to bumper Chevy
Back from the dead
Rust-Conversion
Money pit
gasser Chevy
Tracey's survival truck
"Round-2"
"Round-2-it"
Lives again
Dream truck
Heck, I could go on forever, but I have to get out there and coat those wheel pans...
^^That last one is not a name ;)

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 02:08:09 PM »
I like the "El Paso K20" or "K20 Widower Maker"
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 02:44:15 PM »
Widower Maker

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 03:41:58 PM »
so the new hood is acquired and new hood hinges, hinge hardware and battery tray has been ordered from LMC truck.

Offline coopers grammy

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2015, 04:06:08 PM »
Hey love I got it Miss daisy's resto
Tracey

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2015, 04:24:30 PM »
Shawn as of Jan 1st sold GLO, I am still helping with the transition with the new ownership. When you get ready for that stuff shoot me a pm & I'll see what I can get new owners to do since you'll be advertising their stuff on this thread.

what are some suggestions for a new thread name for this thread?  lets hear them.

this weekend if I can find a place to get the truck up in the air a little, I am going to spend quite a bit of time with the pressure washer underneath it.  living in the city limits of a city that places water restrictions on folks, I have to find a place away from nosey cry baby neighbors that like to start drama to make this happen.  So once everything has been given a good cleaning, I will be able to get a better idea of what it is that I am dealing with.

thank you all for the information on the front axle as well as the x-case.  I was actually under the impression that it was a 205, but after shawn's pointed that out I did some research and better educated myself.  so again, thank you shawn.

I do know this, shawn will be getting an order from me for some of those stout diff covers as well as the disk brake conversion kits he has talked about for the rear axle.

for those that have classic GM vehicles, I found this site https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/ to be very very informational and helpful.  some other information that I got yesterday was to the GM Archives.  their number is 734-462-5543 ext:163 / 734-261-5086 they can provide build sheets and original dealer/factory information on GM vehicles.

so here are the 3 things that happened yesterday.  1. I found a new hood at the junk yard in perfect condition for $75 and 2. I found a guy here in town that will repair/replace and rebuild the steering column for $150.  and 3. I have come to realize that I have to actually sit my happy butt down and make a check sheet of everything that needs to be worked on, because otherwise tracey and I will be completely overwhelmed.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Miss Daisy's Resto
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 05:25:36 PM »
all right folks, Tracey has said that the new name for this thread is "Miss Daisy's Resto".   

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 05:30:53 PM »
M D R it is...!

CM

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 06:02:43 PM »
here is a better pic of the rear diff cover.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2015, 07:18:55 PM »
At least there is no question it is an 10.5in 14bt FF.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2015, 07:10:13 AM »
I have come to realize that I have to actually sit my happy butt down and make a check sheet of everything that needs to be worked on, because otherwise tracey and I will be completely overwhelmed.

When you power wash it this weekend, you will have a good chance to see what you have. 

Break your checklist down into smaller projects; Front axle, Rear axle, suspension, interior, engine tune-up, trans & transfer case fluid change, etc.

Focus on completing the "little" projects and don't get caught up in the overwhelming challenge of "eating the whole elephant".  Plan the work and work the plan.     

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2015, 07:48:41 AM »
Good process duane, thank you.

Offline Dustoff35

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2015, 08:27:56 AM »
Does Daisy (or you) plan to drive the truck as you work on it or is it going to be a compete take-down/re-assemble?

I've done vehicles both ways and each process is different.  Its best to decide which path you are going to take early on.   

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal