Hello Guest

Author Topic: Selling on CL  (Read 2014 times)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Selling on CL
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:08:48 PM »
So I sell excess stuff on Craigslist. For those that do not it can be quite the experience or headache depending.

As of today I listed a set of snow tires and wheel from my wife’s Lexus. Per the normal you get scammers contacting you who want to send you a certified check and then have you ship them your item via a supposed broker service etc. after you deposit their check. I’m assuming this gives them account info of your bank and allows them to withdraw money? I’m assuming here as I really never took the time to research it. Anyhow I get tired of telling them to pound sand. So now I just tell them yes said item is for sale. Then they ask for my name and address which I have posted below.

Here is my full name and address

Al Coholic
666 Seymour Buttes LN
Hell, MI. 48169

On a similiar note I have a friend who once had an unpleasant run in with a female judge during his divorce. He used to have these scammers send their check to her office.

Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
Re: Selling on CL
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:17:35 PM »
Or the other version

Here is the text I receive....

“I am Robert,how much is the lowest price of the ad you posted on CL”

My response “$500”

In reality the list price was $400.....

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:58:01 PM »
Very frustrating. Been there, done that....but never used the funny address bit! might have to try that one.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 12:09:58 AM »
Very frustrating. Been there, done that....but never used the funny address bit! might have to try that one.

I did get one guy about a year ago to send me a non automated reply. Something alongs the lines of “funny, a**hole!”...... :tongue:

I felt extremely accomplished that day!

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 06:26:36 AM »
I am buying and selling on Craigslist all the time. I put a want ad out looking for certain things sometimes. Then I get a message. Is your car still for sale. Um....I'm not selling anything. Sometimes I get this. I will send you a money order and someone will pick up the vehicle. I tell them to give cash to whoever comes to get it.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 08:03:18 AM »
Yep, I usually have a bumper or two on CL all the time.  When you create a new listing you will get a few scams for the first day or so.  After that you are old news.

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 08:37:25 AM »
I have played with them as well usually just try and text them as long as possible to take up their time.  Specially when I am board at work. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 09:10:32 AM »
I do the same sometimes.  I don't mind the scammers nearly as much as the "tire kickers".  I might spend a couple hours talking to somebody/ setting a bumper up the way they want.  I might even jump into CAD and get a model setup and send them a couple screen shots.  Then they low ball you or try to trade a fish tank or something.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 10:08:43 AM »
This ^^^^^^

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 03:15:44 PM »
How many fish tanks do you have Shawn?
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2018, 03:54:27 PM »
How many fish tanks do you have Shawn?

several, my wife likes fish as do the kids..... :rolleyes:

However, they were all store bought. Out here they don't try to trade fish tanks, I think they're looking for a date....

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2018, 05:16:36 PM »
Yep, scammers are easy to see normally. Had a few tire kickers when I sold the blazer.

About to put up my TH, 1500 sub and maybe the XR. Need to pay for the boat and take care of mom.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2018, 07:27:59 PM »
I do the same sometimes.  I don't mind the scammers nearly as much as the "tire kickers".  I might spend a couple hours talking to somebody/ setting a bumper up the way they want.  I might even jump into CAD and get a model setup and send them a couple screen shots.  Then they low ball you or try to trade a fish tank or something.

One the warranty is up on the jeep and I have this thing called money I might be contacting you. If you have the spare time for a jeep bumper in the future. But it's cool, I don't have a fish tank to trade for it...
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal