Hello Guest

Author Topic: Equipment Trailer Build  (Read 15909 times)

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Equipment Trailer Build
« Reply #100 on: May 09, 2017, 11:01:16 AM »
Good call on the wire size and grounding.....Being 2012, most likely not self adjust...I would tear them down repack the bearings and inspect/clean the brake system. If the brakes need to be replaced, you can order loaded backing plates for the same money as parts to rebuild. If by chance they are the axle style with the zerk in the ends to lube the bearings, I would not use the zerks, too many cases of blown seals and greased brakes. Very nice trailer.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 09, 2017, 01:08:00 PM »
I found the manual for the brake controller I have.  I might need to set it up properly.  Will see if that helps.  This model isn't top of the line but I think it should work out ok.

Running the heavier wire and running a ground back to the truck is worth the extra little bit of money to do it.  It avoids so many wiring headaches in the future.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2017, 01:28:18 PM »
I found the manual for the brake controller I have.  I might need to set it up properly.  Will see if that helps.  This model isn't top of the line but I think it should work out ok.

Running the heavier wire and running a ground back to the truck is worth the extra little bit of money to do it.  It avoids so many wiring headaches in the future.
You may need to adjust the gain on the controller once you get them to manually activate.
But they all should lock the tires with it empty when manually applied.
Once you get there, then you can work on the loaded unloaded gain settings you need.
The one I have is also not top shelf, but has a coarse and fine gain dial.
Different trailers need a little more of a little less on he fine.
Once you get it set you'll be laughing.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »
I figured out why they seemed to be sticking.  It seems that I wired the break-away wrong which I believe is why they appeared to be sticking.  With that fixed I loaded the ATV on the trailer for just a little bit of weight and took it for a drive.  I was able to adjust the brake controller to get a little harder breaking out of it.  I still do not think it is applying as much braking as it should be.  Everything is maxed out on the controller.
Got to cut the lawn tonight when I get home from work.  After that is done I might have time to pull the wheels and hubs off to take a look at the actual brakes and re-pack the bearings.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 12, 2017, 10:26:38 PM »
What method do you guys use to remove the rear seal?

Took the hubs off tonight.  Didn't see anything amiss with the brakes.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 13, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »
If you're referencing the inner seal, I just use a taper punch usually.
I've improvised on the side of the road with a big slotted screwdriver.

They do make seal pullers, kind of hammer shaped, but it's garbage anyway, so I just knock them out and chuck them.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 13, 2017, 08:09:45 AM »
That works^^^
Or use a hammer handle and beat the inner bearing from the other side (it won't hurt it)

Side note...be sure to put them back on in the original locations

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 13, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »
Bear, was just thinking about something.. can you post a pic of your brakes and the orientation to the front of the trailer?

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 13, 2017, 09:27:51 AM »
I did not think of the hammer handle.  I was looking for something last night that was the right OD but didn't come up with anything.

I will grab a pic of the brakes when I get back tomorrow.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2017, 10:43:34 AM »
Bear, was just thinking about something.. can you post a pic of your brakes and the orientation to the front of the trailer?

Ken, you're thinking what I'm thinking aren't you?
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2017, 12:20:00 PM »
Yessir

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2017, 01:26:33 PM »
Picture will tell the tale...

:beercheers:
Sam

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2017, 03:25:16 PM »
He could just look at the front (short) shoes and be able to tell if the original right side is on the left side now. That and the magnet arms would be facing wrong direction. Easy to do.

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2017, 04:19:50 PM »
Well, Bob, you don't just read the last page of a mystery novel do you?... lol

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2017, 04:30:25 PM »
SORRY :sad: , didn't think we were playing I've got a secrete.  :facepalm:   

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2017, 06:49:11 PM »
 :beercheers:
Sam

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2017, 07:05:05 PM »
I can't believe Bear has ignored our ramblings this long. He must be used to it by now....or he got pee'd off at the trailer and started cutting it up with a torch!

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2017, 07:44:36 PM »
Or...he's re-mounting axles...
Sam

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2017, 08:33:55 PM »
By easy to do , I meant ...Been there done that.... I think he said he was away for the day, but he should be on  here directly

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2017, 08:49:55 AM »
Yep, up north yesterday shooting guns with my brother.  Then had a few drinks with the old crew last night.

You guys didn't have a secret to begin with.  I was pretty sure I knew what you were getting at.  I had the wheels up in the air Friday night.  Brakes locked the wheels up when rotated in the forward direction and realased when rotated back.  So pretty sure I didn't put the axles on backwards.  There was 1 wheel that didn't lock up at all.  Not sure what is going on with that one.  Didn't have time to investigate.

Will snap some pics after some mother's day events here today so you guys can inspect.

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 14, 2017, 10:25:41 AM »
Well, that answers the question.
So it could be a wear or grease or adjustment thing.

To be fair I didn't think you would hang them backwards, but evidence was beginning to point that way...at least you don't need to re-hang them. You'll get it sorted.
Sam

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 15, 2017, 10:21:03 AM »
Some pics of the brakes.  This is looking at the driver side so front or the trailer is to the left of the image.  This is actually the one I am not getting any braking action from when up in the air.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:20:00 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline KensAuto

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 15, 2017, 01:06:01 PM »
Kinda hard to tell, but it looks like the magnet isn't mating properly to the drum....possibly rusted?  Make sure it "flops/wiggles" freely, plug it in and see if it is magnetized, move it manually to the right and make sure it moves freely at the lever pivot point, etc. Sometimes the wires break from flexing also.
At least it's facing the right direction, proving my theory wrong. The reason i thought they could be backwards is because you can't tell which way they go without taking off the drums.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 15, 2017, 01:15:24 PM »
It was a bit of an educated guess.  I looked for some type of marking indicating left from right.  Didn't see anything.  Every braked axle I recall had the wires on the driver side.  That and looking at the rust pattern on the axles before I painted them had me installing them as I did.

The magnet moves freely.  I will be checking for power tonight and will see how freely everything is moving.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 01:25:22 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2017, 01:30:09 PM »
If you still have charge left in the breakaway battery you could just pull the pin to check for magnet power too. Other than being a bit grungy, like Ken says things look good. When everything is moving freely like it should, clean it up, put the drum on adjust the brakes and be good to go. I would do the other three also, just cause.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2017, 01:35:03 PM »
I will be pulling all 4 drums off to re-pack the bearings and will be checking the brakes out at the same time.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »
Got the bearings packed and back on last night.  The passenger side brakes looked much cleaner/ rust free compared to the driver side(pictured above).  I think the drivers side just needed to be worked free from the rust.  Took it for a short drive after last night.  Started out with near no braking at the beginning but they were definitely grabbing by the end.

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2017, 01:26:53 PM »
Good news, enjoy the new trailer it will be very handy to have around.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2017, 11:04:42 PM »
Made the first run tonight.  Brakes were working good loaded.  Got it a little tongue heavy but it still pulled good.  Going to have to get used to a half ton again.  Big difference compared to the dmax.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:19:39 AM by Bear9350 »

Offline Sammconn

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2017, 11:14:41 PM »
Looks great Bear!
There is no net to the usefulness of a good trailer.
Sam

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 17, 2017, 08:42:46 PM »
Got it covered and in use quick.

1/2 ton, brave man.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2017, 08:53:40 PM »
today's half ton trucks are every bit as capable as the 3/4 ton trucks of the early millenium.

I have that same tractor and I really like it.  That whole set up is probably only 5K, which should be a breeze for a 1/2 ton.

Bear, that's quite the nice result from your efforts.  looks good.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Online JR

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2017, 09:25:02 PM »
Yes, I have to agree with that, both.

Still feels funny.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2017, 10:15:13 PM »
That's what I about figured was on the trailer.  Figured close to another 1000 lbs in the bed with the tiller and blade.

The truck did fine pulling it.  Just need to get used to a different driving style.

I like the Kubota except for the hydro pedal.  I hate that.  I can get used to it after a while but still don't like it.  I'm currently searching for a used compact but will probably rule Kubota out for that reason alone.

Offline Mrwoody

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2017, 11:13:29 PM »
Bear,
I have a L3600 kubota with the "Glide shift".  8 speeds on the left and forward and reverse on a "turn signal lever".  It's good for loader work and tight places.  Manual trans are a pain for loader work but good for straight pulling.try test driving a glide shift if you can find one

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2017, 08:03:12 AM »
The main motivation for getting a tractor is having something to push snow with in the winter.  The 4-wheeler with the plow does ok but it struggles in deep snow and takes a while with multiple passes to clear everything.  I grew up working on a farm.  If it was just me operating it the glide shift would be just fine.  I do head down to Florida for a week at a time every winter for work though.  This means what ever I get I would like the wife to be able to easily operate.  I am sure she could handle a glide shift also it would just be more time consuming and difficult for her.  To many lever etc.. for her to deal with.  That is the main reason why I am primarily looking for a hydrostatic unit.

I will probably be going with a little older unit.  Thinking I want something between 30-35 hp.  I've been looking at some Deere 4310s.  Built between 2002-2004.  There are some with 2,000+ hours that still look like they are in good shape.  That leaves me to believe the ones with 200-500 hours on them and in the price range I am looking for should have a lot of life left in them.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2017, 08:05:23 AM »

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »
That seems like a smoking deal.  I have the manual trans 3901L and I like it.  FEL work is more deliberate.  Mine had 202 hours and I paid 18 for it.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 19, 2017, 01:27:11 AM »
Bear. I have a Kubota BX25 and bought a plow with a hydro arm it to move he angle left or right with he stick. I move the FEL arms up and down and then the angle all with the main stick.  Works great and you never have to get out of the seat. You just have to make sure when hooking up the plow after taking the FEL bucket off that he bucket tilt ram is it the right position so the blade is upright. Then it doesn't move while plowing.

Works slick. I can pile up the snow pretty high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mike
Sold the DMax in MN and am currently vehicle less.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:07 AM »
I would probably just start out using the bucket for snow removal.  Eventually I would like to get a rear mounted snow blower and keep the bucket on the front.  With the blower I can make a pass up the drive way and back and be done.  No chasing trails of snow.  I also don't have a convenient place to push/ pile snow without pushing most of it a long ways.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 19, 2017, 03:15:46 PM »
The Deere hydro transmissions are great
Two pedals instead of the wobble-matic thing on some other brands.
By comparison, the 2720 I just bought with, 31.5HP I think with a 72" belly mount mower and a 200CX loader was right at $22K
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 20, 2017, 09:56:54 PM »
Brought home a mini-excavator today to bury some stuff in the back corner of the yard.  Figure this one was closer to 6,000 lbs.  Rode a little better with a proper amount of tongue weight.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2017, 09:21:04 PM »
The thread I was soon gonna start will be very much like this one! I"m going to build a 7k trailer to haul the B2650 Kubota I just bought! Great tractor, love it so far. I actually like the treadle pedal on it, vs the two pedals for fwd and rev!

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2017, 09:12:39 AM »
The reason I went with the Kubota BX25 was the backhoe. I have a Toro Zero turn for mowing and it works much better than a Tractor. The Kubota with a backhoe was right at $22K.

I probably use the backhoe more than the front loader. I have a thumb on it and I pick up fallen tree's to buck up, railroad ties, large boulders, digging out huge oak tree stumps..(granted it takes a long time - would rather have an excavator LOL) pulling down ropes or other stuff. I also made up a receiver hitch that I attached to the bucket and tried to move my 20' steel car hauler trailer but going down the little hill it pushed the Kubota all  over. I had to pick up a load of dirt in the front loader to add front ballast.

I use the front loader for spreading gravel and moving dirt from one pile to another and just general hauling like firewood but that's about it. 

I  haven't run into lack of power issues but you can always want/need move hydraulic lifting power. The backhoe arm is much more powerful than the FEL.

My 2cts.   :grin:
Mike

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2017, 09:17:27 AM »
The reason I went with the Kubota BX25 was the backhoe. I have a Toro Zero turn for mowing and it works much better than a Tractor. The Kubota with a backhoe was right at $22K.

I probably use the backhoe more than the front loader. I have a thumb on it and I pick up fallen tree's to buck up, railroad ties, large boulders, digging out huge oak tree stumps..(granted it takes a long time - would rather have an excavator LOL) pulling down ropes or other stuff. I also made up a receiver hitch that I attached to the bucket and tried to move my 20' steel car hauler trailer but going down the little hill it pushed the Kubota all  over. I had to pick up a load of dirt in the front loader to add front ballast.

I use the front loader for spreading gravel and moving dirt from one pile to another and just general hauling like firewood but that's about it. 

I  haven't run into lack of power issues but you can always want/need move hydraulic lifting power. The backhoe arm is much more powerful than the FEL.

My 2cts.   :grin:
If you understand this, then you understand just how powerful a track-hoe really is.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline cruizng

• Registered
  • Happy to be here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2017, 10:33:18 AM »
I can only imagine the Track Loader... but they don't seem to make one BX25 size that I can afford.. :cool:
Mike

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 18, 2017, 09:21:31 AM »
Pulled the deck boards off last week to change a few things up on how the ramp storage worked.  When I loaded that excavator for the first time the ramps bent a little.  This made if a little difficult to pin the ramps.  I changed it up so the ramp was flipped over and if the ramps bend again I will still be able to pin them in.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:25:37 AM by Bear9350 »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal