TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Wen 2000 watt Inverter-Generator review

(1/4) > >>

JR:
I have thought about a portable generator for some time. Size, weight and $$ were an issue as I want to use it for camping and small projects. I already have a 5000watt for the house and 3000watt in the TH so backup here is set. Plus my solar has a 1500 watt circuit when the grid is down.

Sound level was another factor along with run times to be user friendly. It also had to have a 12v charge outlet for obvious reasons and some smaller ones do not which I looked at too.

I could go Honda or Yamaha but if you were lucky you got those for $1000. Both are around 45lbs and tend to be the standard.

Westinghouse kept coming up and they even have a 2400 watt unit, but the price reflects that and closes in around $700. Still not bad, but I thought I could do better.

After some searching I found the Wen 2000 watt Inverter-Generator. Watched a few videos (had time on my hand with my surgery) and it seemed to be right up there with the brands on power, weight and US support. It even has a 2 year warranty and was just $450 about everywhere. I ordered it via the local Sears, used my discounts and got it out the door for $435 with tax. Another reason I chose it was the engine is an exact copy of the Yamaha, so I ordered a magnetic dipstick for it.

I wanted to deal with a local store if issues came up, so about a week later I picked it up. Even got the brand cover for it for another $14 as it may spend time on the shelf waiting.

It came packed well with a nice tool kit and 12v charge cord. Manuals were sealed up but it included no oil. So cheap wally oil was obtained and the dipstick arrived.

JR:
Unpacked it, added cheap 5-30 oil for break in and the magnetic dipstick. Zip tied the old dipstick to the motor just in case (otherwise I know it get lost).

You do have to pull a side cover off to check/change the oil. Just 3 phillips machine screws. Has a nice little tray so you don't make a mess. Only takes about 1/3 quart and the included funnel worked fine but could use an angled spout.

Looking inside a little I noticed a fuel drain from the fuel bowl out the bottom. That is nice for storage. Some gens include a fuel shutoff but I don't see one on this. Everything seemed neat, loose wires zipped tied and the electronics were encased in what looks like resin under the outlet panel away from the engine and exhaust.

The power panel has two 120v AC outputs, ECO switch, On/Off/Start switch, 12v DC outlet (with breaker) and a USB plug. There are also 3 LEDs for output, overload and low oil (which has auto shutdown) which is the norm for most generators now.

It measures 11 wide, 19 long and 18.5 tall.

JR:
The ECO switch is simply a "smart throttle" that varies under load and extends run times. If using tools that demand full power you don't use this, you let it run in normal. I have not run a full tank yet but will add that in later when I do. The unit can also be paralleled but does not come with the cables.

Fuel capacity is 1 gallon for what they say is a 6 hour run time at 50% load. They say it should be grounded for any use, but who does that!

With that in mind it is rated at 1600 watts running, 2000 surge as most gens in this size are. 13.3 amps for the 120v outlets and 8.3 amps for the 12v DC plug. Good for running about anything handheld, like drills and miter saws.

Flyin6:
I don't know JR, but that looks to be a quality unit and a great buy!

stlaser:
Looks nice, what is the decibel level?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version