TOOLS, CONSTRUCTION, ALTERNATIVE ENERGY > Hand Tools, Power Tools, Welders, etc

Stihl MS311

(1/4) > >>

Flyin6:
So, this is my second Stihl MS311 chain saw.

The first one met an untimely death when I acidentially drove over it with my tractor, somewhat crushing it. It may come back to life if I can find enough of the right parts at a reasonable price.

So this saw is a beast of a machine. It is not a pro saw, those cost much, much more and are of an old school more robust design. This saw is made for the guy who owns a farm and uses his saw often and for cutting big trees.

It sports a .050, 3/8" wider chain that would just drag down a smaller saw. While most decent saws the happy homeowner owns have 3-3.5 horsepower (Husky 450, 455, 460, Stihl 251,271,291, etc) the Stihl 311 has 4.5 horsepower. That's a whole chainsaw better than those previously mentioned very capable saws. Those smaller saws even with a 20" bar use a .325" gage, whereas this monster uses a .375". The smaller saws derive their cutting power from pulling a smaller kerf cutter through the wood. I thought about pulling the sprocket off my 311, bolting it onto a MS271 farm boss and bolting on a 20" bar, but the stihl dealer said that chain would bog the motor in the smaller saw. Considering I already own a bunch of 3/8" MS311 chains, it made sense to just go back with the same saw.

Flyin6:
This one will give you a workout as well. The lighter farm boss comes in around 12 pounds. THe 311 is over 16. I'm a big guy and I do like lifting weights, so for me the greater weight fits my scheme of work.

Having run the thing a couple years already, I can say it starts on the second pull, and has nothing including limestone or fence wire that can stop it. Stick the bar into anything and it will divide it!

Flyin6:
The compression release is a must for the high compression large engine. It makes starting it a bunch easier

Flyin6:
It is set up nicely. Very ergonomic

Handle fits well, the engine is mounted to the frame with steel springs to absorb vibration and the top cover is removed with three screws to get to the air filter

Flyin6:
They integrate the choke and start/shutoff lever into one simple to use unit. This is a non computer, non efi, basic saw which I think is easier to maintain

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version