Hello Guest

Author Topic: Surefire Scout Light review  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
Surefire Scout Light review
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:23:44 AM »
So a "no BS/Grunt level" review on this gem.

The surefire M600 ultra scout light from here on out referred to as m600.

I was able to pick one up at my local bullet slinger shop for $279. You can prolly expect to pay up to $300 or more depending on where you are. IMO its well worth the money for the quality. sure you can prolly find some chinacom piece that puts out double the lumens and has a cute laser pointer on it but dont bet your ass on its reliability. I'd bet my ass on this dudes reliability. Round count is pushing 3k with about 500 under illumination. hasn't missed a beat.  I would definitely spend a little extra and get the switch system with the constant on and the pressure switch $75-$100. I ran a momentary only light for a period of time and found that it is very taxing on your dexterity if you need to keep it on for a period of time.

Surefire says you are looking at about 1.5 hours run time at a "tactical level" of light. I let it run the other day to see if I could melt it or cause it to break glass and I would say at 1.5 hours you are running close to half lumens. at 3 hours your done. Put a fresh set of batts in it and it's good to go. At about an hour, figuring the light was as hot as it was gonna get, I dumped two mags rapidly under lume and then submerged it in water for about ten seconds or so... no blinks.

I dont care about finish but if you are prima donna like that you will be pleased. several call outs, and training exercises and its just as purdy as it was when i unboxed. granted i dont fall down a whole lot and generally dont bounce my weapon off of rocky faces anymore, but the manner in which it is positioned one would assume it would be a contact point and muzzle blast in itself would effect finish but it's good to go. enough on that.

I dont know much about terminology as far as "flood" or "throw" and dont care to google it. but i'll say i have yet to be in a dimly lit situation where I wished I had a better light. Maybe everything else, I have used up to this point has been junk... idk. but i dont have any complaints. It produces a sharp flinch worthy blinding light. I say that because every mope I have lit up with it has thrown their arm over their eyes when it gets pointed at them. This is important because not only is it disorienting, it can be used for cover to conceal the movement of the home team.

i haven't found anything disappointing with it yet. The mount came loose on me but i hadn't loctited it yet so that was my bad. hasn't come loose since. outside temp ranges have been from the single digits to the 60's so far and it fires off every time.

Im not gonna rate it but i'll recommend it. If you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask! most importantly they are designed and mfg'd in murica.
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Surefire Scout Light review
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 09:22:08 AM »
I dont know much about terminology as far as "flood" or "throw"

Flood : In an enclosed area how much will the light allow one to see objects of interest to the sides of the focused light spot, WITHOUT focusing the light directly at the aforementioned items.

Throw : How FAR it will throw light.

But thank you for the KIGS level brief of the M600. I was looking at one. And as someone who has used Streamlight and now Surefire, which is your preferred? Or are you like me and can/will make it work with whatever you get your hands on?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:24:50 AM by BobbyB »
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:27 AM »
Pics??

I have a similar version but older Xenon.  I need to convert it to LED.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 09:54:07 AM »
Pics??

I can't think off the top of my head which conversion head it is. I do remember there are a couple of them made by Surefire.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 08:39:10 PM »
yeah, I need to look.  I got the Turbo LED head for my Devastator M4.  Nice to have such long battery life now.  I need to stop being lazy and dig it out of the safe and go on line.
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 12:20:10 AM »
I dont know much about terminology as far as "flood" or "throw"

Flood : In an enclosed area how much will the light allow one to see objects of interest to the sides of the focused light spot, WITHOUT focusing the light directly at the aforementioned items.

Throw : How FAR it will throw light.

But thank you for the KIGS level brief of the M600. I was looking at one. And as someone who has used Streamlight and now Surefire, which is your preferred? Or are you like me and can/will make it work with whatever you get your hands on?

Bobby in for the technical save! thank you sir! I prefer this as my weapon light now buddy. I dont think Ill change again. Streamlight makes great products though. I wish surefire would get on the strobe bandwagon. A strobing light is uber versatile not only for discombobulating degenerates but even dogs hate it. I was out on a run the other night and had my protac 1L by streamlight in hand. It's about 110 lumen EDC style light. One of my neighbors guard dogs was unsecure without a commander and came out to visit me and have some lunch. I would hate to ruin anyones guard dog for doing his job and my force continuum consisted of flash light, mini expandable baton, and glock 19... I strobed my little light at him and he wasn't having any... funny thing is, I cant decide whether or not to call my neighbor and tell him I found cujo's off switch or just keep it to myself! I think I'll keep it to myself!

Molon Labe!

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 12:22:23 AM »
Pics??

There is a pic of it in another thread on here- when I installed it. I can prolly take some more no problem if you need.

Molon Labe!

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 02:13:26 AM »
Bobby in for the technical save! thank you sir! I prefer this as my weapon light now buddy. I dont think Ill change again. Streamlight makes great products though. I wish surefire would get on the strobe bandwagon. A strobing light is uber versatile not only for discombobulating degenerates but even dogs hate it. I was out on a run the other night and had my protac 1L by streamlight in hand. It's about 110 lumen EDC style light. One of my neighbors guard dogs was unsecure without a commander and came out to visit me and have some lunch. I would hate to ruin anyones guard dog for doing his job and my force continuum consisted of flash light, mini expandable baton, and glock 19... I strobed my little light at him and he wasn't having any... funny thing is, I cant decide whether or not to call my neighbor and tell him I found cujo's off switch or just keep it to myself! I think I'll keep it to myself!

No problem. I want one, I will get one, just a matter of time I suppose. My 2nd GSD, was all black except for a black spot on his chest. If he came running at you at night, you didn't hear or know where he was until he decided to stop all forward movement by impacting you, usually at the legs or hip level. The one I got now, well with his feet you hear him coming LONG before you see him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal