Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1328215 times)

OldKooT

Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #300 on: April 17, 2016, 02:31:38 PM »
Yesterday....I wanted to build a moat around the house, but as it turned out I actually just mowed. After that I spent a few hours fixing a sliding shed door that after 100 years, decided it required some attention.

I also planted trees, spread mulch, cleaned up some junk and in general just got some odd chores out of the way before it rains anymore.

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 17, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »
Today put FENCING around the Hostas from yesterday - seems the dogs just love those tasty shoots!  Caught the youngest one finishing off one clump in seconds!  Decided to add a pair of pear trees while I was at it - sticks really, sure hope they grow quick!

Hey Norm- what's the secret farmer application for crappy compacted soil?  Front yard always looks and feels hard and water drains off the slope quickly - fear the front only got a skim coat of topsoil 15 years ago!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 17, 2016, 10:02:40 PM »
well you better take the frau out for some quality time then!

Tried, but didn't work out.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 18, 2016, 07:54:17 AM »
Busy day. Went to church with my daughter. she lives 2 towns over with her mother. Then come home and started the garden. It should have been done a week ago but the wind will not stop blowing. I keep waiting for a nice day. That day never came. While at church I decided to hell with the wind. Come hell or high water Im getting something done.

Got a bunch of these hog feeders a took apart to use as raised beds. They are getting tomatoes this year.

Got the disk and planter out for sweet corn.

Put up some old hog gates for the cucumbers, watermelon, cantaloupe and pumpkins to climb on. We hauled a crap ton of them off for scrap iron. I should have kept more back.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:47:09 AM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 18, 2016, 09:56:07 AM »
^^^ Good work right there

Old tractor!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 18, 2016, 10:24:01 AM »
pay close attention to how much water you are giving those tomato's.  I figure that you did not poke holes in the bottoms of those feeder troughs, there for the water will not be able to drain from them and will cause root rot.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 18, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
Looks like you got a good start. Reminds me of the old Farmall I used to drive around a job in my youth.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 18, 2016, 09:10:29 PM »
While I didn't participate as I was working my wife and youngest had a good day- this being Patriots Day they went to visit the site of America's first gun control act. Which of course was what inspired the shot heard round the world and the Revolution. Pretty cool day to do it. They had a great time seeing the monuments, walking across the bridge, and just appreciating what those farmers did back 241 years ago in Concord MA.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 18, 2016, 09:28:39 PM »
While I didn't participate as I was working my wife and youngest had a good day- this being Patriots Day they went to visit the site of America's first gun control act. Which of course was what inspired the shot heard round the world and the Revolution. Pretty cool day to do it. They had a great time seeing the monuments, walking across the bridge, and just appreciating what those farmers did back 241 years ago in Concord MA.
Been there!

Hat's perpetually off to them and all patriots who draw a line and stand their ground

Honorable men

I hope that all of us here are cut from that same bolt of cloth

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 19, 2016, 07:45:10 AM »
pay close attention to how much water you are giving those tomato's.  I figure that you did not poke holes in the bottoms of those feeder troughs, there for the water will not be able to drain from them and will cause root rot.

There are no bottoms. Even in the old water tanks. They rusted out years ago.

The hog feeders started like this. I took the 2 rings off and scrapped the rest. (not my pic. Found on internet for reference.)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:46:33 AM by Farmer Jon »

OldKooT

« Reply #310 on: April 19, 2016, 08:56:12 AM »
Hard soil is usually in need of aeration, lots of aeration and feeding. Also I'd consider compost and in some cases a thin top spreading of sand can help soften soils also.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 19, 2016, 09:10:15 AM »
In NE Indiana we had a lot of clay mixed in. When working new garden ground I'd haul some sand in with skid loader as OldKoot stated and lay it on top then use tiller & mix it in well. Made for a great planting mixture.
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 19, 2016, 09:24:03 AM »
Thanks Shawn & Norm-

will rent an aerator and make it look like a gaggle of geese had a week long picnic on my front lawn!  Beach party later in the summer!

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 19, 2016, 12:34:50 PM »
Hey Jon- I use a wooden version of these that I built and covered in 2x4 welded wire. The premise is that as the tomatoes grow the branches that grow into the cage are covered in mulch with then turns them into roots for the plant (much like when initially planting them I lay them down burying all but the top couple of inches of the plants and the leaves/branches that I bury do the same thing). This not only provides a much greater root system to access the nutrients of the mulch you put in the cage but it also provides additional support for them. I don't have to stake them nearly as much using this system. Your hog feeders could do the same thing with some holes cut in the sides. One word of caution (which like most things in my life I learned the hard way!  ::)) I only add mulch enough to bury the branches as they grow larger. The first year I filled them with mulch and then had to try to "weave" the branches into the cages which did not work so well. Much easier if you can just "help" the branches into the cage and then cover them with mulch. It also makes it easier for watering as I just water the cages not the plants themselves.

Dunno if its worth the effort to cut a bunch of holes in what you have but figured I would mention it....

cuda kill two birds with one stone and get a couple of piglets....they will turn everything post haste. And then go in the freezer for safekeeping!  :D

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 19, 2016, 12:54:16 PM »
Thanks Wilbur, but the Homewreckers Association would frown upon that I fear!

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 19, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »
Thanks Wilbur, but the Homewreckers Association would frown upon that I fear!

I get that.....no sense of humor from those folks....  >:(

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 19, 2016, 01:37:06 PM »
Hey Jon- I use a wooden version of these that I built and covered in 2x4 welded wire. The premise is that as the tomatoes grow the branches that grow into the cage are covered in mulch with then turns them into roots for the plant (much like when initially planting them I lay them down burying all but the top couple of inches of the plants and the leaves/branches that I bury do the same thing). This not only provides a much greater root system to access the nutrients of the mulch you put in the cage but it also provides additional support for them. I don't have to stake them nearly as much using this system. Your hog feeders could do the same thing with some holes cut in the sides. One word of caution (which like most things in my life I learned the hard way!  ::)) I only add mulch enough to bury the branches as they grow larger. The first year I filled them with mulch and then had to try to "weave" the branches into the cages which did not work so well. Much easier if you can just "help" the branches into the cage and then cover them with mulch. It also makes it easier for watering as I just water the cages not the plants themselves.

Dunno if its worth the effort to cut a bunch of holes in what you have but figured I would mention it....

cuda kill two birds with one stone and get a couple of piglets....they will turn everything post haste. And then go in the freezer for safekeeping!  :D
I've got some wire fence panels I plan on putting around there once they get going good.

I also had to mix in some sand. The ground has clay in it and can get get rock hard. I also use straw and grass clippings to add as much organic material as possible.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 19, 2016, 11:41:04 PM »
I found out that this was money well spent. Milwaukee M18 fuel 1/2" drive. It's a monster.
Don't remember the exact specs but it's redicously awesome!

Was working on front end tonight. Will add it to the other thread.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:50:38 PM by Sammconn »
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 23, 2016, 03:09:32 PM »
Sprayed weed killer and cooked lunch!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 23, 2016, 03:23:58 PM »
pork chop?
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 23, 2016, 05:14:55 PM »
Cut grass, played with the dog, stared at back hoe attachments and wood-mizer portable saw mills...

Getting ready to go out to a fund raiser...skate early from that and get in a movie maybe...

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 23, 2016, 05:38:27 PM »
pork chop?

Yup, it was huge!  In a bulk pack from Costco- guy cutting must not have wanted to risk trimming his nails making it into two.  It was wonderful!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2016, 08:14:09 PM »
Had kids cut the grass (front and back) then took them to a local lake and let them Kayak for a couple hours as I watched. Oldest boy caught a gosling and mad him let it go.

Dinner at a local Black Bear and off to Ikea for a desk chair for the daughter.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2016, 10:10:24 PM »
Looked at an ATV and a Harley. I bought neither.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 24, 2016, 02:25:46 AM »
After taking the kids to Kayak (they caught a gosling) we went to dinner at Black Bear. Got a HUGE burger, cheese, bacon, mayo, lettuce and tomato. Got the chair and at 2300 she had to build it. Think I enjoyed it more than her.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wilbur

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 24, 2016, 05:55:11 PM »
Mowed the lawn, weeded, spread weed killer, went grocery shopping, brushed the dog. Not a single productive thing sadly. ::)

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 24, 2016, 06:36:35 PM »
Went to church
Went to lunch...big family thing
Loaned the daughter money. went shopping at Dicks
Scored to Black T's for the Pre-Rangers with Cammo US flags on the front
Bought some dog food
Taught a self defense class
Came home and discovered we were locked out of the house!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 24, 2016, 07:00:09 PM »
Hate when I do that (locked out) But I have key pads on the garage door.

Thomas Jefferson

OldKooT

« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2016, 07:49:09 PM »
Mowed 7 acres of grass, mowed 5 acres of weeds. Sprayed the "good grass" with iron and nitrogen so it grows more *seems counter productive

I also watched my wife plant about 500 flower plants and burned some brush and cleaned the work area in the barn. SO also nothing real productive... we are in Tornado season officially...so time to dodge hail and all that fun stuff tonight.

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 24, 2016, 08:01:18 PM »
Went to church. Daughters confirmation today. Had a small get together at my ex wife's house. She started yelling and cussing. I dont know why but it reminded why I divorced her. Came home did chicken chores. Went to replant some cucumber plants that didn't make it, but it started raining. So, I sat on the couch the rest of the day watching tv.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: April 24, 2016, 08:17:35 PM »
^^^ Seems like all good Sundays to me

Oh and

I fell asleep siting at my desk, feet all propped up...Nice!

OldKooT

« Reply #331 on: April 26, 2016, 06:17:55 PM »
Either yr all slacking or you have all done nothing? LoL

This morning I spent arguing with a ornery pickup again *Patch  After temporarily winning the argument of man VS Np205 I went on to more interesting things.

I mowed again, which was relaxing save for hitting a steel fence post that materialized out of nowhere to mess up some blades. I was smart, and had old worn blades on for just such a surprise so...I changed to the new blades. I then washed my Exmark and jumped on the 4020JD for some retro bush whacking a few miles of dicthes. That accomplished killing the rest of the day and due to looming dark clouds and weather service promises of baseball hail and other such fun, I came home. I have now contributed nothing useful to a few threads, and intend to head out to the shop and try and accomplish something that seems project orientated. (likely prep a Np 205 to replaces patches metal filing filled version) I even brought my ear plugs to guard against hail noise on the steel roof.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 26, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »
I just worked 3, 16hr shifts at the Jeep Beach show in Daytona Fl, so to everyone who asks, "how was your vacation?", it was 15 min long, at the end of the day when I put my feet in the Atlantic and received the call that I needed to move my butt down to the event parking as everything was being moved inside, the models were lost and the parking was filling up 2hrs prior to start.

And also, not what I did, but what I'll be doing when the parts show up. note the fridge door hangs about 1/2" lower than the freezer. the cam/hinge plastic garbage did what it's supposed to do and failed. Home depot, lowe's, country store, no one has this or has carried them for years, and I was told by the lowe's staff, that most customers just buy a new fridge! found them on Amazon for $9.50.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 26, 2016, 07:54:04 PM »
Either yr all slacking or you have all done nothing? LoL

This morning I spent arguing with a ornery pickup again *Patch  After temporarily winning the argument of man VS Np205 I went on to more interesting things.

I mowed again, which was relaxing save for hitting a steel fence post that materialized out of nowhere to mess up some blades. I was smart, and had old worn blades on for just such a surprise so...I changed to the new blades. I then washed my Exmark and jumped on the 4020JD for some retro bush whacking a few miles of dicthes. That accomplished killing the rest of the day and due to looming dark clouds and weather service promises of baseball hail and other such fun, I came home. I have now contributed nothing useful to a few threads, and intend to head out to the shop and try and accomplish something that seems project orientated. (likely prep a Np 205 to replaces patches metal filing filled version) I even brought my ear plugs to guard against hail noise on the steel roof.
Copy that on the hail!

I got clobbered with hail, four times driving back from the farm. I thought I was gonna lose my windshield twice. Really heavy rain, high winds...just as promised. NWS warning every 3 minutes on the radio.

I'll go out tomorrow and see if I have hail dimples on C-Max

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 26, 2016, 08:11:01 PM »
Mowed the lawn in the city today.  And in a strangest twist, the guy my wife called to come give us an estimate on cleaning out the beds turned out to be the guy that rear ended my dually last year.  No kidding! In a city of nearly 4M people this guy shows up.

Showered and had dinner and then sat going through some email and found this and am still scratching my head.

Note not only the pair of matching H&Ks but the Colt BAR below....
https://www.armsunlimited.com/Pre86-Heckler-Koch-MP5K-9mm-Submachine-Guns-p/hk-p-mp5k.htm
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 26, 2016, 08:17:34 PM »
I guess he didn't get the job,,,,,,,,,,

I got some of the same adds, the BAR for 120K is just right!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:18:25 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 26, 2016, 09:24:51 PM »
I guess he didn't get the job,,,,,,,,,,

I got some of the same adds, the BAR for 120K is just right!

Actually we havent decided whether to hire him.  I don't hold a grudge about it.  I look at it this way, he's hispanic in Houston and had real insurance with State Farm.  He's a 1 percenter in my book - Actually statistically speaking he's in the top 25%
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 26, 2016, 09:38:52 PM »
So it wasn't a hit n run then. Things do happen!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #338 on: April 26, 2016, 11:59:00 PM »
I started in on my daily drivers brakes. Messed everything up. Broke stuff and left the car on jack stands and gonna keep putting lots of miles on my duramax because brakes suck!!!

Raising boys into RealMen!!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 07:04:37 AM by cudakidd53 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 28, 2016, 09:35:48 AM »
Had a much better evening with my Honda Civic,  had a neighbor who is much more patient then i with brakes come and help me put new brake cylinders in the rear of the car, we installed the new pads, we set the parking brake( forgot to do that on the chevy) and left it for the night with some fresh fluid in the lines to seep to the rear and hopefully tomorrow things will be in a better place then today.

I met a new Moto guy at the local ATV store, he is the owner and is super happy to let me test out the New 2016 BETA brand 390 bike.  i think i will take him up on the offer in the late fall.   dropped of the rear tire of my bike so i can get the sand paddle installed on the rim for my weekend trip to Jericho sand dunes (little Sahara)

Raising boys into RealMen!!

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: May 02, 2016, 10:40:10 AM »
Pressure washed. A lot. no side pics, but two story w/ vaulted ceilings = very high on an extension ladder and white knuckles. driveway took almost as long as the house with 12 years of fine dust/silt/moss etc embedded into the washed rock surface. hardi-plank looks almost new now. just need to paint trim around the garage and door on the front porch. Speaking of which; pressure washing the little 1x1 spindles took almost as much time as the rest of the entire porch. now on to staining.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: May 02, 2016, 11:57:49 AM »
Sounds like a lot of work Tator. Looks great!
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: May 02, 2016, 01:55:34 PM »
Thanks Ken. Tonight it's aft garden, lawn mowing, and raking out the gravel surrounding the fire pit. might help keep me from getting too stiff if I keep moving right? Tiki torches also need new wicks trimmed and installed. Got a graduation party to get ready for!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: May 02, 2016, 04:28:38 PM »
Took a few steps on bare feet, GOD that that feel good!

Changed the oil in the dmax.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: May 02, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »
Hey progress!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: May 02, 2016, 09:13:58 PM »
I got a box of parts! The right ones.

I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

OldKooT

« Reply #346 on: May 03, 2016, 08:39:03 AM »
Yesterday: My wife took the day off for a dentist appointment. We had that handled by 9am and we found ourselves with a day off from work related stuff and it was sunny and 55 degrees.

So while she grabbed the weed dragon and went about roasting some weeds in her gardens and landscaping I decided to work some in the shop. I promptly got yelled at because she caught me carrying the front half of a Dodge frame on my shoulders because I didn't feel like starting the skid loader. In retrospect I suppose I could have wheeled the torch out to the frame and cut it where it laid. But it seemed easier to carry the frame to the shop instead....she stopped lecturing when I lit the torch. Half a frame really isn't that heavy..

So after that I built some shelving near the workbench and found the concept of shelves handy for storing stuff...so I did some storing.

Lunch was a simple affair... she some Philly steak sandwiches while I rooted around in the assorted buildings looking for a 1hp motor to replace the burned up smoking model presently on my little belt sander deal. I found one from "Something" but it had like a dozen wires and it confused me so I decided I'd tackle that some day and went back to organizing.
I found a entire set of Mac combination wrenches...that was a cool find.

About 3pm the grand-kids came to visit so while grandma entertained them I quick snuck what was left of the frame I hauled to the shop back to the iron pile when she wasn't looking. Then myself and the grandson at his insistence worked on "his Bolens" garden tractor. At age 2.5 he's extremely attached to that old wreck so we work on it when he has the mind set...so we completed the modification to the engine swap we had done and fired it up...we rode around on that until supper.

After supper we went down to the gun shop and learned about politics, local news and in general did nothing LoL

Offline Higher Caliber

• Staunch UP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 04, 2016, 07:19:13 PM »
About 14 years ago I crawled out from under a Great Plains no till drill after nearly setting a wheat field on fire and having the biggest glob of slag you ever saw drip down my shirt collar across my nipple and settle in my belly button and vowed to never don a welding hood ever again! Well today I broke my vow. After getting a bid on porch railing at over 50$ a linear foot I got pissed, took two weeks off work and decided I'm gonna do it myself! Well... So that's what I did today!

It's not like riding a bike but I think I can still lay down a decent bead by golly!
My "jig"

Ready for powder coat

Not bad eh??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lions mustn't concern themselves with the opinions of sheep"

Molon Labe!

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 04, 2016, 07:23:44 PM »
I was getting excited when I first read that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Very nice work. I hope metal is cheaper there than here. I have stopped to pick stuff up on the side of the road!

You must need a lot of that with the time to build a jig too. What welder is that, all I can see is green?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 07:25:18 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 04, 2016, 08:17:29 PM »
That's VERY nice welding there Blaine!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal