Hello Guest

Author Topic: lets keep nate awake while on duty thread!  (Read 23431 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
lets keep nate awake while on duty thread!
« on: June 15, 2015, 06:40:56 AM »
before i can complain about the certain time of the morning that i hate, i have to preface it by explaining what Staff Duty is.

every unit in the US Army conducts what they call CQ (charge of Quarters), which is basically having a security guard 24-7 in the barracks BLDG's.  Higher echelons (above company/battery/troop/etc) conduct what they call staff duty.  when pulling this duty, you are the Commanders Representative as well as the secretary for the entire unit below you.  you take calls from places like the red cross, the military police station (when bobby and higher caliber get arrested for picking on the legs and the poages), local police stations, etc.  you basically become a single point of information for the entire unit below you.

now is saying all of that, i just wanted to say that i really hate the hours of 0230 - 0500 while pulling this duty.  i have come to realize that it is becoming harder and harder to keep the sleep monster away the older i get.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 09:19:18 PM by nmeyer414 »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline cudakidd53

• View Profile
Re: worst time of the morning
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 08:16:01 AM »
Get yourself a puppy- they like to roust you from sleep during those exact hours!
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 08:31:12 AM »
Know exactly what you mean.  You hope it is all quiet but you need action to stay awake.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:42:34 AM »
retirement packet is in and just waitin for approval
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 09:12:07 AM »
Good luck.  it's a great feeling to get those orders.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:19:23 AM »
You guys ever see this girl? A real Army SSG, and a darned good comedian. She makes all sorts of funny vids depicting some of the parts of Armee life like Nate was talking about

https://www.facebook.com/Amused31/videos/vb.968201606524251/1003196439691434/?type=2&theater
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 10:05:13 AM »
thats about perfect!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 10:08:12 AM »
all of them that she has on there

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 10:12:31 AM »
How long is the SD stent?
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 10:13:44 AM »
and in order to stay awake, i had to do some searchin on youtube for videos.

i have 45 minutes and i will be relieved, then i get to head home and crash for a bit.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 10:45:33 AM »
How long is the SD stent?
Ken, Usually it is an overnight thing. THe office or headquarters closes down around 1700. The SDO (Staff duty officer) and SDNCO (SD Non commissioned officer) and the duty driver show around 1630. They will be on until around 0800 which is when everyone is rolling in after morning PT, showers, and breakfast. Weekend duty is 24 hours. Special times, like when a unit is deployed and has left a rear area detachment for admin purposes might run 24 hours a shift for months on end, and sometimes with only a few NCO's doing all the duty.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 11:53:43 AM »
Does not sound like fun.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 02:05:19 PM »
run 24 hours a shift for months on end, and sometimes with only a few NCO's doing all the duty.

I never minded when I had the CQ/SD duty.

So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 05:34:21 PM »
don't mind it either bobby, I was just being boo boo lipped and trying to stay awake.

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 09:28:57 AM »
don't mind it either bobby, I was just being boo boo lipped and trying to stay awake.

Suck it up Sarge, take a knee,face out, drink water, change your socks, take a motrin, avoid 2LT's and drive on.

And go have breakfast then crash and sleep. At least that's what I did when I got off CQ/SD. Hit the DFAC, pile eggs,biscuits,hashbrowns on a plate, cover liberally with sausage gravy and hot sauce, followed up with sleep.
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »

Suck it up Sarge, take a knee,face out, drink water, change your socks, take a motrin, avoid 2LT's and drive on.

And go have breakfast then crash and sleep. At least that's what I did when I got off CQ/SD. Hit the DFAC, pile eggs,biscuits,hashbrowns on a plate, cover liberally with sausage gravy and hot sauce, followed up with sleep.
Remember the brownies?

Used to roll them up in a ball and throw them up onto the ceiling to see how long it/they would stay there with being noticed or falling.

Remember the story I wrote about Top finding me and my tank crew back in the day. in a canteen cup he doled out green eggs, then covered that with spaghetti, and topped it all with peaches...and I ate every last bit of it!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 10:10:01 AM »

Remember the brownies?

Used to roll them up in a ball and throw them up onto the ceiling to see how long it/they would stay there with being noticed or falling.

Remember the story I wrote about Top finding me and my tank crew back in the day. in a canteen cup he doled out green eggs, then covered that with spaghetti, and topped it all with peaches...and I ate every last bit of it!

Once in the field during a particularly cold rainy training cycle , my squad (due to one of the guys having a small propane stove and supplies from a previous 4x4 trip) and I made spaghetti so as to have an actual HOT meal. It was quickly realized there was no protein involved. Undaunted by the horror that awaited us at the risk of having subpar spaghetti, I reached into my ruck and retrieved the finishing touches to the meal, a pack of Tuna. Yes, we made Tuna spaghetti and it was awesome.

Speaking of green eggs, I thoroughly enjoyed the T rats.. eggs, cheese, little "sausage" chunks, again liberally covered in hot sauce.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:12:19 AM by BobbyB »

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 08:39:46 PM »
Those green eggs were pre T-Ration. Mess hall powered eggs in a marimite can about 12 hours old...barely warm, barely edible. I was in a battle position with my M60A1 tank in a cold fall day in a drizzle of a rain. My heater inside was broke, so the only way you could warm up was to stand in the engine exhaust!

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 08:59:43 PM »
Those sleeves would make everything green. We used to dry off behind the tanks as we walked by.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 09:45:39 PM »
Those sleeves would make everything green. We used to dry off behind the tanks as we walked by.

Nothing beats an aircraft exhaust

Like walking into a big windy warm blanket.

Now I have a little story here. You see for many years I stood around in the exhaust plume of my aircraft while at idle and refueling on some bitter cold winter day. It would warm you all up and you'd be all happy (Probably hypoxiated as well!)

So Big Don grows up and becomes an airline pilot flying jets
First thing I notice is the APU (Auxiliary power unit) exhaust. It is a small gas turbine which runs a generator and powers the aircraft packs, which heat and cool the air, pressurize aircraft and things like that. Well this thing is noisy and a fair bit larger than the engine in an OH-58!

Well for years that was all good and dandy. Then one cold winter night we pull into Washington Regan on the river. The APU is inop, so we just leave the no.2 engine running at flight idle.
Now no one really impressed me with the fact that the helicopter gas turbines use the engine to power stuff that propels the helicopter in flight. But turbofans on a passenger jet, well they just make a whole lot of thrust. That jet of mine made 14,400 lbs on each side.

On this particular cold winter night all I am thinking is I'll preflight walking down the left side and into the APU exhaust and get warmed up. I was wearing my black pants, white shirt and my leather flight jacket. You know, leather is worn by bikers because it handles abrasions really well, like when you fall off your bike or walk into the exhaust of a jet engine, times like those.

So I move out of the wonderfulness of the APU exhaust, cross under the tail and sort of start skiing across the ice on the ramp when all of a sudden the fuel truck goes racing past me. But the fuel truck is parked...It's me that is moving! For a second, maybe two on my feet, then on my butt, then back until I come to a stop maybe a hundred or so feet later.

The exhaust from that engine may only exert a few pounds of force per square inch, but I am a lot of square inches, and since I'm usually around 240ish and I did 0-60 in like 4 seconds, I'm guessing that exhaust hit me with a literal ton of pressure. I immediately understood how that 75,000 pound jet could climb out with the nose pitched up 20 degrees or more and still accelerate!

Offline BobbyB

• Global Moderator
  • "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 03:19:28 AM »

Unless you are wearing a parachute and other items. Or you're in the exhaust overseas and you're already sweating like crazy, then it's just annoying.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 10:32:24 AM »

Unless you are wearing a parachute and other items. Or you're in the exhaust overseas and you're already sweating like crazy, then it's just annoying.
Copy

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 03:06:55 PM »
and im back on duty again.  this will be it for a while.  so tere may be some crazy thigns being posted tonight.........

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »
Whatever you do, don't write "Logged" on the duty log under actions taken.  Hope you have an uneventful night.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 05:19:35 PM »
matt,

20 years ago when i was a wee private and pulling my first cq duty, i put logged on the 1594 and when the battalion command sergeants major came thru checking things out, he looked at my log and went completely balistic.  i was made to do a report / brief on AR 220-15 and i had to back brief the CSM on what it said.  for whatever reason he got off on the idea that a private knew where to look and liked the brief that he was given.  well i was then told that i was to prepare this same brief and that i would be briefing every NCO in the BN.

so yeah from that point on, i have ensured that logged was never on any duty log that had my name on it and educated others when i say it.

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 06:40:29 PM »
I have the same type t-shirt.  Only my briefing was on logging.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 09:51:35 PM »
amen

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 11:17:05 PM »
Whatever you do, don't write "Logged" on the duty log under actions taken.  Hope you have an uneventful night.
Figures

I used to write "Logged" all the time

Figures...Well, I'm an officer, is that a good enough excuse?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 12:04:19 AM »
poor excuse.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 06:39:36 AM »
well last night wasnt that bad.  it was quiet.  i found the chaplins keurig machine with boxes upon boxes of different flavors of coffee.  i am on like my 2nd 20oz cup.  so i am tweaking off of caffeine at the moment.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 08:30:01 AM »
i caught 1 Sergeant totaly knocked out at his CQ desk twice, and i had one SGT just up and dissapear for 6+ hours at his house.

time to let the Command Sergeants Majors (CSM) deal wiith those 2 NCO........SMH

what the hell is my army coming to..........?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 09:56:45 AM by nmeyer414 »

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 09:57:32 AM »
oh and the 40+ ounces of the brown go go juice is starting to wear off!

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 11:07:27 AM »
well last night wasnt that bad.  it was quiet.  i found the chaplins keurig machine with boxes upon boxes of different flavors of coffee.  i am on like my 2nd 20oz cup.  so i am tweaking off of caffeine at the moment.
Can I get an Ah-MEN!!!!!!?????

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2015, 07:56:01 PM »
that coffee hit the spot for a few, and it wore off right as I got home and was getting out of the shower and getting to rack for a few hours.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2015, 06:02:37 PM »
and nate is on staff duty again tonight!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2015, 06:46:12 PM »
how many people are you responsible for/represent while on staff duty?

get you some mountain dew and metallica...
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 06:49:59 PM »
how many people are you responsible for/represent while on staff duty?

this could go one of 2 ways, elaborate a little for me RN please.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2015, 06:53:22 PM »
In your original post you said pulling staff duty mean that you were responsible for all the people while on call.  I assume that might differ from your normal duty.  Just curious how many knuckle draggers that might be so I can imagine the amount of potential activity....
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2015, 09:18:25 PM »
RN, I cant say the actual number of soldiers that are in my brigade, but lets just say that there are a LOT of soldiers.  here is public information about my brigade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Armored_Division_Artillery_(United_States)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: lets keep nate awake while on duty thread!
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2015, 09:41:17 PM »
Ok. So a few thousand.  Lots of opportunity for people to get in trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2015, 11:49:48 PM »
Nate,

What's Armee intel say about these refugees we are taking? How many are known or suspected ISIS fighters?
Easy to find, they are the ones Obama personally vouched for or they are on some freebee bonus plan...

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 12, 2015, 12:17:23 AM »
not sure yet.......

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 12, 2015, 12:44:43 AM »
Go ahead and snooze for a few....I got your back.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2015, 01:13:53 AM »
Nmeyer414, did you pee in the wrong persons Cheerios? Especially for being on the way out you seemed to have been selected for SDO more than I did in 5.5 years and my wife's 13 and still going.

I am currently in the thought process of getting back in too. What's your take?

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2015, 01:42:31 AM »
no man, i did not pee in anybody's cheerios, i have had it twice in like 4 months.  besides i have it easy, i am not at the company or battalion.  with all of the civilians that have been hired, the lets put him in a no stress job like handing towels out at the gym have gone away, but when you have been hailed as the grand master ninja you wont mind pulling duty every once in a while.

so how is everybodys wonderful friday night going?!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2015, 01:47:44 AM »
as far as wanting to come back in......i am not really sure what to tell yah there.  you can PM me or if you want to post it here that is fine as well.

how about you give me a little back story on you and the frau and i will off you a recommendation.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2015, 01:49:03 AM »

but when you have been hailed as the grand master ninja you wont mind pulling duty every once in a while.

so how is everybodys wonderful friday night going?!

Ok well in reading this thread from back in June It seemed more common, but yea twice isn't bad. I love the title grand master ninja. Those are big shoes to fill!

I know my Friday night has been just another night, about ready to turn in. I would guess many others have already. Any update on your retirement packet? I'd assume it's at the last desks of authorization? Many congrats by the way. I wish I could say we were there but nope not for another several years.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2015, 01:57:53 AM »
ill check on it next week and see who i get to have a direct one way conversation with.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal