Hello Guest

Author Topic: Battery box redo.  (Read 444 times)

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Battery box redo.
« on: February 24, 2022, 06:00:26 AM »
Last summer I upgraded batteries from lead acid to AGM. I got them used from a friend that upgraded to lithium. We swapped them out in the campground out in Idaho. They are used but have a couple years left in them. They are mismatched but they are the same size and style. one is a year older than the other. I basically paid core price. When these are done I will go to lithium.
When we did the swap we basically just threw it all together. I bought an inverter from another guy that had upgraded his to a bigger one. We had no fuses or anything. It meant to be temporary.
The battery box in these campers are so flimsy frankly I am amazed I made it home. These batteries are so heavy I can't pick one up myself.  The floor pan is just tack welded in with 2 bolts that are only there for the spare tire carrier. One tack weld is burned through and holds nothing. I drilled a few holes and added some bolts.
For the bottom I used 2 2x8 boards full length. They sit on the actual frame on both sides. Then I ripped a 1x10 in half and put that on the back  and front side to add rigidity. I have boards screwed down around each battery to keep them from sliding around.
I used scrap from the 2x8 to make a switch panel to install the fuse link and kill switch.
The inverter is a Xantrex freedom 1800. It is actually an inverter charger mounted to the ceiling in the luggage compartment. It will be used to run a second fridge and I want to hook it into a couple outlets in the camper itself.
 To connect it all together I used the blue sea systems kill switch, Xantrex 300 amp fuse holder and a Victron smart shunt. 4/0 welding cable all around. It's not quite done. I should button it up by the end of the day today.
I took a chance on a cheap Chinese hydraulic crimper to make the cables. So far so good.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: Battery box redo.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2022, 02:00:06 PM »
Finished. All the smoke stayed inside the wires and everything worked when I turned it on. Just have to tidy up the plugs on the inside.
This is the readout I get from the smart shunt. I could buy a screen to mount inside the trailer but it's over $200. I think I'll just use the Bluetooth on my phone for now.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal