VEHICLES, CAMPERS, and BOATS > Powerplant, Driveline, and Braking

Transfercase noise

(1/7) > >>

EL TATE:
So I limped the trans this morning... sounded like it slipped into neutral and gears were grinding then slammed back into gear and that's what limped it. eased it in to work and parked it and waited about 5 min and the trans was back to normal. Sounds more like something is going on in the T/case because it will not have any issues or make noise in 4wd, but put it in 2wd and feather the gas around 45-50 and it will clunk rattle and roll, and occasionally make a buzzing sound, slip out of gear and back into gear. (gently if I keep my foot out of it this time). no leaks, no pump rub issues, haven't gotten it up on the rack yet to check fluid. Any thoughts?

Bob Smith:
Sounds expensive....

EL TATE:
Yes, yes it does. I have the driveline clunk issue, and I think my slip yoke has been bottoming out on the tcase for some time now and has most likely trashed it. Just curious to see if anyone else has any input. Al's Truck in Lynnwood has a buddy discount reman unit for $1295, but I can find rebuild kits w/ case halfs and chains for $395

Flyin6:
I'm trying to remember which transfer case came in those earlier D-Max trucks. Did any have an internal differential?? If so, that's where your problem lies.
Popping in and out of gear under 2WD and light load
4WD is the opposite of light load...Just being in 4WD loads up the case somewhat. Differentials under light or partial load are often searching...spider gears looking for where the least resistance is to apply power. Would seem to point to that sort of thing.

I don't think we ever had one of those viscous coupling transfer cases in our trucks. Shearing of the fluid caused lockup. Depending on the age/viscosity of that fluid could alter the dynamic...

Shootin' in the blind here...

Flyin6:

--- Quote from: EL TATE on March 22, 2017, 12:40:41 PM ---Yes, yes it does. I have the driveline clunk issue, and I think my slip yoke has been bottoming out on the tcase for some time now and has most likely trashed it. Just curious to see if anyone else has any input. Al's Truck in Lynnwood has a buddy discount reman unit for $1295, but I can find rebuild kits w/ case halfs and chains for $395

--- End quote ---
Rebuilding a T-Case is no real big deal. You could easily do that yourself...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version