FOOD CORNER > Canning & Food Storage

getting started

<< < (2/2)

Bob Smith:

--- Quote from: nmeyer414 on September 25, 2014, 06:26:39 PM ---Not really bobby, cause you would have to go to the east or west and catch it

--- End quote ---

I guess you could get some loins shipped to you but that is also costly. We drive to the beach and buy albacore tuna off the boat, around 100 lbs of 12 to 20 lb fish line caught, bled out and iced down. Have always fileted our self but those guys on the boat are fast and do a real good job and the mess factor at home would be worth the extra cost of having them do it. I will post a couple links, but think unless you have done a bunch of canning best to wait for the getting started thread before firing up a pressure canner and using glass jars. 10+lbs pressure for 100 minutes plus the startup and cool down time is not a go it alone first time canner thing

http://www.giovannisfishmarket.com/articles/Recipe-Canning-Albacore-Tuna.aspx

BobbyB:

--- Quote from: nmeyer414 on September 25, 2014, 06:26:39 PM ---Not really bobby, cause you would have to go to the east or west and catch it

--- End quote ---

The grocery store in the town I live in, plus Sam's Club and Costco have tuna in pieces like the Salmon come in. It's not ideal but, if it'd save me money over buying the cans/packages of tuna, then it's something I'd look into.

Bob Smith:
Buying the jars, lids, and rings are a bit expensive but only the lids need to be replaced each time. You would need a pressure canner and the other canning tools. Don't know how much you would save, cost averaging will help bring the costs down,  but the tuna would taste much better for sure.

Nate:
Give me a day or 3 to get something together for canning inst.

Dawg25385:
Hey guys, one quick tip on jars.... since canning has become much less common nowadays, lots of people get rid of their jars. My folks normally find jars at Goodwill and the like for SUPER cheap... If you're serious about getting into canning, swing into Goodwill regularly and look for jars. Great way to save some coin.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version