Hello Guest

Author Topic: My New Land "Raptor Ridge"  (Read 92715 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: New Land
« Reply #250 on: May 03, 2019, 03:57:43 PM »
Waiting for an address now. Even though I am here,its a couple day process via mail.

Made some calls about wells.30k just for hole and another 5 to 10 punp.3-600 deep, 45+ a foot.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 04, 2019, 09:07:26 AM »
That's almost prohibitively expensive.

But if you actually had a well, you'd be king of the roost.

I would imagine at those prices, not many wells in the A.O.

Edit: Oh lots of wells in the Tuck, natural ones

People call them sink holes

Ask Chevy about them...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:08:18 AM by Flyin6 »
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 04, 2019, 03:15:43 PM »
Got a quote for 22.5 for just the hole. Reasonable. Plan is a low well, 2500 tank on high ground with solar pump.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 04, 2019, 03:55:46 PM »
JR did the well guy quote price for the well or price per foot? and do they charge move in fees? How large casing did he quote on. Do you have to put a "road" to the well site or can he make it in on his own power with the drill rig and nurse rig? I know silly Question, are you going to witch a site or just drive a stake with drill here on it?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 04, 2019, 06:42:48 PM »
All the prices were per foot, 43-50. One talked about "mobilization fee" and they are local. Another said he need a 60x60 pad, what if I don't build there?

Many questions still and permits are almost $1500. Then cap fees. Couple talked about switching, some didn't like it.

Lots of companies out there with solar kits. Not sure about DIY on that since I have never done it. Most want a "whole" system with the pump, pressure wiring and all thrown in to around 10k which sounds high.

Drilling at the low spot where the runoff is straight down the turn around a few hundred feet is where one want to drill. Then I could run a pipe up the hill to the tank above the build site filling the 2500 tank and giving me pressure.

Hopefully enough for some vegetation around the house and a small pond.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 04, 2019, 08:31:35 PM »
Be careful about being in a low, runoff area.  Surface contaminants can leech into your well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 04, 2019, 08:40:56 PM »
Understand that alkali is an issue already in some areas. Not much on the surface to do anything.

More I see videos and websites, the more I like DIY solar pumps.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 04, 2019, 09:14:21 PM »
I'm planning on solar also,  depending on the depth of the well.
..been watching this guy since he started.  He has 40 acres in southern Idaho. He dug his own well (only allowed to dig down 18' in Idaho)..but he found a great company for the pump setup.
He also has good videos before this one on putting in a tank and figuring out the pressure (he misfigured and ended up with too much by using GPS to determine elevation)

https://youtu.be/kWYY2xgXciM
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 04, 2019, 09:17:09 PM »
WHAT??  You can only dig 18ft??? And find water???

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 04, 2019, 10:30:34 PM »
WHAT??  You can only dig 18ft??? And find water???

I have heard that many times, maybe the same video.

If I can find someone who will drill for $30 a foot, that would be great! I had been reading up and the national average is $20-25, how do I get $50?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 04, 2019, 11:29:33 PM »
It is your lucky day and you are from California, why else do you think you can get a 50 dollar quote

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 04, 2019, 11:40:30 PM »
I'm looking still. Guy I bought the land from recommended a big co. Said it cost him $25 ten years ago. He is way lower than me though.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 05, 2019, 12:30:55 AM »
When I got a quote for my brother's place,  from a driller friend,  it was 50k+ for 800-1000 ft....just for the hole.

Charles,  my SIL is a 1/4 mile from our new property and she hit an artesian well,  so they had to build a goldfish pond to relieve the excess water pressure..over 120psi...plus they have a spring fed pond up the hill a ways stocked with bass. I hope I get that lucky on the well.
Wait,  what feeds your pond?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:32:04 AM by KensAuto »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 05, 2019, 01:07:50 AM »
No pond, want to add a small one. Membrane liner will avoid excess loss.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 05, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »
When I got a quote for my brother's place,  from a driller friend,  it was 50k+ for 800-1000 ft....just for the hole.

Charles,  my SIL is a 1/4 mile from our new property and she hit an artesian well,  so they had to build a goldfish pond to relieve the excess water pressure..over 120psi...plus they have a spring fed pond up the hill a ways stocked with bass. I hope I get that lucky on the well.
It’s called rain.....

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 05, 2019, 10:14:28 AM »

It’s called rain.....

:popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 05, 2019, 11:48:50 AM »
Serious question doofus...
Thought that you might have a spring .

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 05, 2019, 12:07:17 PM »
Serious question doofus...
Thought that you might have a spring .

That would be a true God send.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 05, 2019, 01:33:34 PM »
That wasn't directed at you JR. But yes,  that would be a gift for sure.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 05, 2019, 02:49:38 PM »
That wasn't directed at you JR. But yes,  that would be a gift for sure.

I knew that, but it would still be great!

I found a couple spots last time that looked promising for some water. IE, larger shrubs with much more ground growth than other spots.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 05, 2019, 04:48:05 PM »
It's funny, I've watched some utube construction videos with people complaining about too much water, how springs on their properties are a nuisance,  and people like us around drier areas dream of having them. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 05, 2019, 04:57:53 PM »
Couple spots like this where there is more growth might yield something, but not easy access.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 05, 2019, 06:33:13 PM »
Rent yourself an augur for your tractor and do a few test holes around the property. Look for the dampness of the soil and chart out the holes. OR the dowsing thing.  Most of the snow gone from the higher areas near you so you don't get false readings of the soil?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 05, 2019, 07:58:48 PM »
Probably buy an auger. TSC has em for a good price.

Love to get a dowser up there. Bad part is how deep I may have to drill. Could make an extension I guess.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2019, 11:55:42 AM »
It's funny, I've watched some utube construction videos with people complaining about too much water, how springs on their properties are a nuisance,  and people like us around drier areas dream of having them.

Oh man isn’t this the truth! Got a friend back in Wyoming who can dig about 5-10’ and have to stop due to it filling. He’s closer to a river but still, that would be amazing. My well is drilled to 280, with pump at 220.

JR, in your well quotes are they all quoting the same size casing? What size are you looking to have drilled? How much pump are you wanting?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 06, 2019, 12:03:33 PM »
Not sure about casing yet but so far all are around the same price. My first thing is to get a road and pad cleared. I am "acquiring" things and need to get up out of here. Got a line on some containers for a good price local, but no where to put them.

Dmax is getting regeared this week to 4.56. Level ground was not bad but pulling the mountains the gearing really shows. That will put me back another week as I have to break them in.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 07, 2019, 12:53:15 AM »
Well, I got an official address today and they got the name wrong. Left off the JR, we will see how it goes.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 07, 2019, 08:41:45 AM »
What’s the address.  Gonna start dumping my extra motor oil there for ya. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 07, 2019, 10:16:18 AM »
Not that it matters much, but our wells down her run 30-34/foot. I asked my neighbor who is in the pump business.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 07, 2019, 03:28:58 PM »
Not that it matters much, but our wells down her run 30-34/foot. I asked my neighbor who is in the pump business.

I'll take it!!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 09, 2019, 08:03:25 PM »
Tractor should be out of the shop next week, just waiting on a horn button (I splurged)

Ordered a 3 point setup from kabota in sparks. I really like them they are giving me quotes with discounts already. They have Landpride box blades in stock. 6ft is $1000.

Been sorta looking for a thumb and forks. Not sure about the clamp on forks, anyone have those? Rather have quick release.

On the thumb. From kabota it is $900 for just the thumb. Sure the kit is double that. Got a quote from Toms Thumbs for about $1600 with hydro or $1000 for a weld up kit (with all pins and clips)I just supply hoses (I like).

Nice thing is the backhoe is setup for a thumb with plumbing and foot controls.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 09, 2019, 10:02:14 PM »
Clamp on forks are ok for light duty, like 600lbs...easy to bend the clamps,  and they tend to swivel side to side and come loose.
I ended up with a Bradco quick connect fork...got a good deal..600, normally 900.
I searched quite a bit for a good thumb.
I spent 1625, but it's a piece of art...3/4" ar500, pins, hoses, and a larger ram (2-1/2" iirc)...Showtime Fab if you're curious. Great guys to deal with.

this place has great deals: https://www.ebay.com/i/323799528139?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D20160908110712%26meid%3Dcb9e86e0f30f451fa3f93cedd714625a%26pid%3D100677%26rk%3D5%26rkt%3D30%26sd%3D202660502979%26itm%3D323799528139
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:04:53 PM by KensAuto »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 09, 2019, 11:03:39 PM »
Yeah, I don't like the clamp on either, that's why I am asking.

Did a bunch of searches and never saw that guy. Why are they all back east meaning high shipping!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 09, 2019, 11:16:58 PM »
Ya know, not sure if that tractor has enough "butt" to pull a 72" box. That's kind of big, but then again, I never pulled one in sand. That tractor would not pull that balde in virgin dirt here in clay/dirt/rock/mudville

You have rocks, right?

May want to ask around and see if maybe a 50" might better suit your needs.

Tractors first need weight, then HP, but for bigger work, definitely need more than 50ish HP. Talking 65-75 for starting numbers with 80-100 being pretty ideal for bigger implements

Now if you have a finished road without many rocks, then the 72 would work, but I think you will be putting in a road and a 72 might get you a bit frustrated...

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 09, 2019, 11:49:37 PM »
45hp and 7K, 6ft wide. As wide as the tractor to cover my tracts.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Atkinsmatt

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: May 10, 2019, 07:24:31 AM »
Have them ballast the rear tires for you.  I have a 40HP Mahindra and sometimes my 60" box is a lot for my tractor.  For a mower you need to cover your track but with a blade you can make another pass.
Matt
16 GMC Denali 2500 HD

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 10, 2019, 09:36:02 AM »
45hp and 7K, 6ft wide. As wide as the tractor to cover my tracts.
I think I'd say that you're going to be over square with a big 72" and only 45 HP.

For example, I pull a 72" box with my 66HP tractor and that blade will completely stop the tractor. Dragging over a finished gravel road without the tines dropped below the planing edge, a little tractor would do it, I think, but for construction, building a road, you'll be making real small cuts simply because there is just not enough tractor there to pull all the weight.

Again, I want to emphasize that I have now worked sand. Perhaps Ken ot other westerners could pipe in, but I am just not feeling it with that big of a box on a small tractor.

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 10, 2019, 09:37:37 AM »
Have them ballast the rear tires for you.  I have a 40HP Mahindra and sometimes my 60" box is a lot for my tractor.  For a mower you need to cover your track but with a blade you can make another pass.
And for ballast, use beet juice, not the older stuff which will corrode the inside of the wheel. Beet juice is much heavier per volume and won't corrode...But be sitting down when they give you the quote. (read: Stuff is not cheap!)

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 10, 2019, 10:56:15 AM »
As stated, smaller blade or box. 60” is probably max for that unit imo
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 10, 2019, 11:25:52 AM »
Yep, thought about ballast, will need to check. The 45 is considered a large compact

Did a lot of reading last night and many say tractor width minimum and over is OK, even with smaller machines.

I am don't have wet or clay soil either, not by a long shot. Some surface rocks and it looks like granite, great for drilling! 

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 10, 2019, 04:54:15 PM »
Mine's had water in the tires since new (11 years). I wonder what they look like inside. :(

I think my box is 5', not 6, and it will stop the tractor in it's tracks at times (50hp) and other times I have to add weight to it so it will cut. The rippers just skip on mildly hard dirt....but mine doesn't have power down, which sucks when trying to auger holes.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 10, 2019, 08:22:18 PM »
I think mine has power down (hst plus). Hopefully the rippers will get the rocks loose and the scrapper do its job.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 10, 2019, 10:40:54 PM »
Might be more cost effective to rent a  dozer. Maybe find one by hour meter rent rather than by the day, get the roads roughed in and finish up with your stuff as time allows.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 10, 2019, 10:46:51 PM »
Might be an option. Got a card from the seller who says there is a local who does that.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 10, 2019, 10:57:05 PM »
What do you guys think of a weld on thumb? About 1/2 the price and includes hoses, free shipping.

My stock setup has a quick release bucket which adds to the dedicated thumb cost.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 11:01:59 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 10, 2019, 11:27:22 PM »
I know the custom thumbs are specced out for your machine...like length of tines and spacing depending on the bucket teeth spacing.  The thumb tine length is pretty important ...that's why I didn't get a weld on, because if it doesn't hinge off the bucket pin, the geometry gets screwy through out the range of the bucket.
That being said,  I've seen a few utube guys using them ...also seen the non hydro stationary ones work..just depends on how good you want it to work imo.
Just trying to help you spend money.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 10, 2019, 11:43:10 PM »
Thanks, looking at options and would for sure match it to the bucket.

Don't even think the kabota thumb will work on mine with the QR bucket.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bob Smith

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 11, 2019, 12:23:19 AM »
Don't know how much area a welded thumb takes up, but if you ever want to use other attachments on the bucket stick make sure you will have room with a welded in place thumb.

Offline rpar86

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 11, 2019, 12:25:10 AM »
Kubota, JR. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ryan
2006 GMC 3500 6.6 CCLB SRW 4x4

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 11, 2019, 12:48:42 AM »
Don't know how much area a welded thumb takes up, but if you ever want to use other attachments on the bucket stick make sure you will have room with a welded in place thumb.

Yep, don't want to limit any use of the bucket. Install vids all show spacing it off the bucket.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 02:02:31 PM by JR »

Thomas Jefferson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal