Hello Guest

Author Topic: 74 w200 cummins crew cab build  (Read 19577 times)

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
Re: 74 w200 cummins crew cab build
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2019, 10:49:49 PM »
Ok so with the help of swbhobie and wilsonphil, I think I may have the brakes close to whipped. We will know tomorrow as I’m going to try and drive it. Dinner called so I quit working.

Offline stlaser

• Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2019, 11:13:48 PM »
Technically we have bolt on options for some Dana 70’s, just not yours Turner!  :popcorn:

Likely excuse!!!!

Possible..... With that said I dislike Dana 70's from a brake conversion standpoint. Turner is just complicated in general and I think he will readily admit it. So why shouldn't his truck be that way too?  :popcorn:
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2019, 11:52:03 PM »
I do have that a/c crimp tool. Its handy, but, the local parts houses where I by the hose and fittings also crimp them for free. Here, Merles and Napa ( Napa now owns Merles)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2019, 12:07:36 AM »
I do have that a/c crimp tool. Its handy, but, the local parts houses where I by the hose and fittings also crimp them for free. Here, Merles and Napa ( Napa now owns Merles)

Wait wait wait... napa as a whole owns Merle’s? I thought all Napa’s were a franchise and someone had to front the money to buy use of the name... we have a napa and a Merle’s about 400yds from each other. Both make hydraulic hoses, but I didn’t know they could crimp AC hoses. Will have to check in on that as I have all the stuff to make the hoses just not the crimp tool.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2019, 12:09:14 AM »
Technically we have bolt on options for some Dana 70’s, just not yours Turner!  :popcorn:

Likely excuse!!!!

Possible..... With that said I dislike Dana 70's from a brake conversion standpoint. Turner is just complicated in general and I think he will readily admit it. So why shouldn't his truck be that way too?  :popcorn:

This truck is WAY MORE complicated than I am. But we’re getting it under control.

Offline KensAuto

• My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2019, 12:17:05 AM »
Yeah the company that owns Napa is Gmb, or something like that,  and they bought out Merles last year,  but they plan to keep them separate. Napa is franchise, but still big company backed.
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
74 w200 cummins crew cab build
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2019, 12:27:52 AM »
Yeah the company that owns Napa is Gmb, or something like that,  and they bought out Merles last year,  but they plan to keep them separate. Napa is franchise, but still big company backed.

Learning has occurred! I use them both, but tend to use napa more, because I once worked at one, then while working there got offered a job as a mechanic at a one man shop in our town. He often commented on preference of napa over carquest. Now his options are carquest and o’Reilly’s, which he still complains about. Great guy none the less!

Are you gonna start a retirement snow hare thread? I would say snow bird but your kind of the exact opposite of a snow bird, you live in the heat and bought land in the cold.... WEIRD!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 12:29:02 AM by wyorunner »

Offline Dfarm01

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2019, 12:29:22 AM »
Thanks. That makes sense. I'll have to take the visor off and look around the gutters. Judging by the rest of the truck, they'll be mostly rust held together with clear silicone. Lol

I'll probably look into the cowl area too. I remember cleaning it out and it not being rusty, but I'll give it a better look from the inside.

Thanks again for the info.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2019, 12:40:03 AM »
Thanks. That makes sense. I'll have to take the visor off and look around the gutters. Judging by the rest of the truck, they'll be mostly rust held together with clear silicone. Lol

I'll probably look into the cowl area too. I remember cleaning it out and it not being rusty, but I'll give it a better look from the inside.

Thanks again for the info.

Look at the outside, of the gutter above the windshield. This is where my worst spots of rust were, and the only spots in the gutter that were rust through entirely. You can clean it out pretty easy with a screw driver and a razor blade. Then hit it with a wire wheel of your choice. Then lay down the goo!!! There are plenty of options that don’t require a special squirt gun to apply it. You can get some in a caulk like tube, that your house hold caulking gun will apply. Our local body shop supply store has it on the shelf, and I can find it on the webz. If you strip it and need help finding something, post it up and please don’t use caulking from the hardware store....

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2019, 09:16:42 PM »
Today was not really productive.... at all. Started out by thinking I could work out the last few kinks in the brake system.  With some ideas and tips from Phil and Swbhobie, I went at it.

The task at hand was to figure out why the front calipers were locking out. Started by testing if the hydroboost (HB) was not releasing the plunger. Which come to find out it was a bit slow but ultimately don’t think that was the problem.

It was also a bit rusted out in there. I cleaned it best I could. This is a used unit sooo yea. I have a new one on the shelf if need be.

So once cleaned and bled a bit more the plunger operated like it is supposed to. Reconnected the HB and master cylinder and began on the brakes. To no avail.

Disconnected lines, did not release. Realized I left the 74 proportioning valve in line... removed it, no release.

Pulled the innards of the prop valve thinking I was going to reuse it. Was instructed not to so it’s not in there.

At the suggestion of Phil, and I should have started here long ago, I have ultimately pulled everything off and will be installing new brake components and lines.

Spindles look ok but have some pitting.

Pulled the front diff cover to inspect and install my bullet proof cover from Shawn. Found it had sat with water at some point.

Anybody know what the white crud is on the gears and in the back of the diff? Thought it was metal filings but doesn’t seem to be. Fluid looked decent.

So as it sits, no hubs, rotors, calipers, or diff cover waiting for it to drain. Brake lines are disconnected from the MC, and I need to make new hard lines for the front axle.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2019, 09:46:15 PM »
I would just throw the new hydro on.

I have seen much worse water damage in pumpkins. Looks pretty good.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2019, 09:57:01 PM »
I agree on the water "staining" seen much much worst.  The white stuff most likely calcified water if its soft then just clean it up.  The spindles look fine also also long as the bearing area and where the seal rides is pit free then you should not have a problem.

This is the only thing bad about the lockable hub axles water if its gets in just lays, if you dont change fluids once a year or after deep water crossing it will end up looking like this.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2019, 07:10:29 AM »
i know it’s a ton more work to do, but you’re already half way there. i put a set of outer axle seals on both 60s i just did. $75 for the pair. but you pack them with grease on the inside and a smear of RTV on the outside.. no intrusion from water/dust/dirt etc into the axle tubes themselves.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2019, 11:08:06 AM »
i know it’s a ton more work to do, but you’re already half way there. i put a set of outer axle seals on both 60s i just did. $75 for the pair. but you pack them with grease on the inside and a smear of RTV on the outside.. no intrusion from water/dust/dirt etc into the axle tubes themselves.

This would be the thing to do. Along with a complete change to Yukon 35spline stuff and hubs...Another time.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2019, 02:26:04 PM »
I agree on the water "staining" seen much much worst.  The white stuff most likely calcified water if its soft then just clean it up.  The spindles look fine also also long as the bearing area and where the seal rides is pit free then you should not have a problem.

This is the only thing bad about the lockable hub axles water if its gets in just lays, if you dont change fluids once a year or after deep water crossing it will end up looking like this.
Most likely emulsified oil and water that hardened as it sat above fluid line. not a problem if it's not pitted rust.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline EL TATE

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2019, 02:27:30 PM »
looking really good so far man, good work. you need any tech stuff on the diff let me know.
Husband, Father, Gear guy, Patriot.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2019, 03:29:42 PM »
looking really good so far man, good work. you need any tech stuff on the diff let me know.

Tate sent you a PM just now.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2019, 08:12:57 PM »
So I made a brake line tab for the rear brake line today. Then worked on seat mount stuff.

This floppy hose needed a holder.

Started with this for the tab. It’s a bit thick, but I had it in the garage!

Drilled a hole in it, so the threaded portion of my brake lines could fit neatly.

Cut that chunk out.

Then I electrified it to the axle tube!!!

I also found I had a brake hose for the front just laying in my tool box! Went ahead and installed it.

All the front brake components are due to arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I can get the brakes operational soon. Heading over to a friends place to start installing a fence tomorrow though, sooo maybe Saturday.

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2019, 09:22:47 PM »
Just an FYI there are MANY options for calipers and rotors for that axle!!!!

And the banjo bolts are metric!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:23:45 PM by wilsonphil »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2019, 09:49:09 PM »
Just an FYI there are MANY options for calipers and rotors for that axle!!!!

And the banjo bolts are metric!

Ain’t that the truth! I did the best I could with what I had. Compared everything to the info on rock auto, let’s hope I did it right.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2019, 08:55:25 PM »
So we went and surveyed what needs to be fenced, 510’ of no climb, with four gates....

Started working on little things again, and got the calipers and rotors in, both the same as what came off just shiny and hopefully proper working.

Was going to put the hubs and rotors together but thought it best to replace the inner wheel seals on the hubs. Which then sparked a find my bike helmet hunt so my son and I could ride to town... no dice and wife said I can’t ride on the highway without a helmet, so we rode the four miles to the highway and she picked us up.

Also did a little more on the seat brackets.

Our shiny new rotors.

New and old calipers, super shiny

So our seat brackets, still unsure if what I’ve come up with is the best option, but here it is.

This is the bottom of our buckets. They came out of a late 80s early 90s dodge conversion van. They were mounted on a swivel pedestal.

I had this bent up at our metal shop. Then I drilled 8 holes in them, four on top and four on bottom.

I had this hat channel type steel broken up originally for support of the floor. But decided it was not needed. So I drilled some holes in them too.

Then these bolts will be welded in on the back side.

Then the main bracket will rest on top of that and be bolted down.

Like this! I will then weld the hat channel to the floor.

We went this route while working with our upholster on the best way to install the carpet and have it look nice. All that will be sticking up is the 8 bolts. There will also be no more holes through my floor.

All you smarter than me people, if this is no good please let me know before it is glued in.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2019, 11:55:40 PM »
Small amount of progress and a decent step of slow down...

Got both hubs/rotors back on and awaiting calipers.

Then while cleaning the rotors this happened.

Definitely worse than it looks. After it happened I immediately wrapped with clean paper towel with some bad language, then went back outside hollering at myself, then laid down on the drive way with my up. Have had it elevated for the majority of the time since it has happened. Swollen super painful, questioning if it ain’t fractured. Would be par for the course! Hopefully I can get in on Tuesday for another issue I’ve been fighting since February, will also get it scanned if I go.

This is about 3 hours later. No ice. Iced it for 30minutes after this pic.

Call me what you will, but doggoneit, stupid accidents on primary use fingers are the worst.

Even ruint the rotors with blood... it just started pouring from finger upon it happening. Been a while since I’ve seen blood flow like that.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2019, 12:52:11 AM »
Its broken in now. What is a good days work without a little blood,,,,,,

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2019, 01:10:43 AM »
I got one of those good ones a week or so ago.  With a putty knife

Super glue for the save!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2019, 01:14:15 AM »
Nice job Dave! The only way I can describe the pain that isn’t going away, is like a fresh hit from a hammer on your thumb... gahhh. After opening it today, it certainly could have benefited from a couple stitches, but wife wasn’t willing, and drs office isn’t open. So it’ll sit as is.... painfully. Might have her install the calipers and talk her through the brake lines tomorrow. That would be awesome! Yes I think I will.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2019, 07:38:22 AM »
 :likebutton:

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2019, 10:51:23 AM »
Can you get some steri-strips on that?
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2019, 11:48:09 AM »
Can you get some steri-strips on that?

Tried but it’s in really awkward location. After it dries out it’ll be getting super glue!

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2019, 11:30:51 PM »
That needs pics!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2019, 11:53:55 PM »
That needs pics!

Honestly JR, it has healed ten fold. Our son prayed by himself about it roughly an hour after it happened, and I attribute it to his child like faith.  It looks kind of gross but it is closed up significantly... and because you asked...

God is great, even when everything seems to be in disarray He is there, and my son is a wonderful reminder of that!!! And because of him my finger is mostly pain free.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 28, 2019, 03:45:05 AM »
That needs pics!

Referring to the wife doing the work, not the finger.

Think we all do that enough here that it would fill half the forums,,,,,,,

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 28, 2019, 07:50:47 AM »
That needs pics!

Referring to the wife doing the work, not the finger.

Think we all do that enough here that it would fill half the forums,,,,,,,

Ahh right. I ended up doing it while she worked in the house.

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 28, 2019, 04:51:27 PM »
nothing like a little brake kleen to help clean up a fresh cut..

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 28, 2019, 08:30:25 PM »
nothing like a little brake kleen to help clean up a fresh cut..

More naptha!! Just spray it every where!!!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
74 w200 cummins crew cab build
« Reply #84 on: May 28, 2019, 08:37:58 PM »
Ok so got the brakes plumbed to the distribution block on the frame. Ran out of tube so I didn’t finish.

Then found I need new steering bushings, yay! Fix one thing to find another need to be fixed.

Also got my front bulletproof cover on and filled.

Welded my seat bolts onto the bottom mount, then painted the inside that will not be seen but still want to try to prevent rust.

Welded and nasty.

Wire wheeled.

Self etch primed.

And painted!

I need to add some more steel to the actual seat bracket which will be the center console jump seat mount. And that piece of the puzzle will be solved.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 08:39:30 PM by wyorunner »

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2019, 11:47:54 PM »
I’m not sure where I am in the order of things. I just know I’ve been bouncing between getting brakes done, which they are, and the seat brackets mounted.

So the brakes... everything has been replaced. I need to put the new hydroboost unit on still, but been trying to get these seat brackets done.

Rear brake from MC to distribution block on the frame rail.

Also found about this time, that my king pin bushings are shot... oh joy.

Then I centered up the drivers seat on the steering wheel and made the stud mounts permanent, or mostly.

Measured the passenger side to be the same distance from door sill and permantized those stud plates

Then came the fun of figuring out the jumpsole (jump seat console).

Original plan made it sit a wee bit low...

This shows the angle iron tacked to the bucket seat brackets.

Or maybe 4”

And after the 4” lift it’s close to proper.

So I had to come up with something to make it sit higher...

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2019, 11:57:10 PM »
The jumpsole lift kit commenced with this bit of metal. It is 4 pieces of 1.5”x2” 1/8” thick angle iron.

Then I chopped a long and short into this.

Then tacked it together. A table would be helpful, as well as a vice... and 90° magnets... but I digress the ground did just fine!

Repeated the process on the second two pieces of angle, and made them one. This one came out 1/8” narrow than the space between the bucket brackets. First one came out just as it started, 29 3/8”!!!

Here they are waiting to be ground down.

Then I took some flat stock and made some more rails for the bottom of the jump sole.

It’s bolt pattern is longer than the bucket brackets. So it will bolt to these two pieces which will sit on top of the lift kit.

that’s where I called it and came in to
Make dinner. Will get the seat brackets all finished up tomorrow. Then will get them cleaned and painted.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2019, 06:06:32 AM »
You need one of them Big D Cardboard Welding Tables

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline cj7ox

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2019, 07:26:22 AM »
Looking good, Wyo! I'm disappointed in your choice of welding footwear, though. I believe mandals are the appropriate PPE for that task! LOL!
~Sean M. Davis

“The citizens of a free state ought to consist of those only who bear arms.” ~Aristotle

Μολων Λαβε

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2019, 07:32:07 AM »
yea.. who uses that much caution?!

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2019, 08:11:45 AM »
Looking good, Wyo! I'm disappointed in your choice of welding footwear, though. I believe mandals are the appropriate PPE for that task! LOL!
I saw that!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2019, 08:13:17 AM »
But I’m sure the pillow he was kneeling on was rated as fireproof.

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2019, 09:44:03 AM »

Was once a dog bed, so the layer of dirt did add some fire retardancy!!!

I have been known to wear flip flops for all manners of work... just been fighting a damaged kankle so boots are the order of the day.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2019, 10:23:11 AM »

I have been known to wear flip flops for all manners of work... just been fighting a damaged kankle so boots are the order of the day.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

why are you talking about kens favorite part of his girlfriend?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 10:24:53 AM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2019, 10:35:02 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

.... when your own ankle swells and looses the defining area between calf and ankle... you have a kankle. Similar to what she lives with all the time. Except mine still works and doesn’t cause me to fall into cars, or have to be helped up or down stairs...

Offline wilsonphil

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2019, 11:10:52 AM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2019, 11:20:34 PM »
Ok more progress...

Started the day by replacing the HB unit.

Then back at the seat mounts. Needed to finish up the center console bracket and tabs.

These tabs ended up with a hole and welded to the center of the two bucket seat brackets.

The jumpsole flat stock and main pieces were tacked in place here.

First of four holes drilled through jumpsole bracket and tab.

Second, then repeated on the front.

After the holes were drilled, I removed the tack welds to the bucket brackets. And finished welding up the jumpsole flat stock.

Finished welding up the tabs which the jumpsole bracket will bolt to.

Cleaned the welds, and here is the finished product.

Also finished welding up the bolt plates onto the floor. Now I just need to prep and paint the seat brackets and clean the floor. This piece is at least currently usable.

Offline JR

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2019, 12:01:06 AM »
Looks good

Thomas Jefferson

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2019, 11:11:28 PM »
In preparation for the core support to be mounted I had to make some minor adjustments.

This hole needed to be smally sized!

So I started with big washers...

With my grinder and impact and some
Time, I ground them down to 1 3/16”

Finally product, a bit oblong but it worked well.

Welded em in

Cleaned em up. Will paint tomorrow.

Also cleaned the seat brackets and started paint there. Then cleaned the interior welds.

Here she is basking in the sun!

Offline swbhobie16

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2019, 07:01:32 AM »
spent all that time on the seat brackets and you’re still using a napa bucket.

ohh well.. if it works it works!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal