Hello Guest

Author Topic: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)  (Read 1394215 times)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #15850 on: October 26, 2021, 10:46:02 PM »
I don't see a safety rail, bad juju.
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15851 on: October 26, 2021, 11:18:43 PM »
I don't see a safety rail, bad juju.

Or weight capacity, hate to see your gf break a cankle falling thru that….
Living in the remote north hoping Ken doesn’t bring H up here any time soon…..

Offline Bigdave_185

• Raising Boys into Real Men!
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15852 on: October 27, 2021, 12:01:17 AM »
Is that a Raptor trailer?
Yes sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15853 on: October 30, 2021, 04:41:04 PM »
Sighted in a couple rifles and did some plinking with my nephew. Got bit by Purple Haze. My mom gave it to me but it's too small for my hands. Surprised at the amount of kick this little thing has. SCCY 9MM. Second pic is sighting in a new scope on the 270. Only took 7 shots to get it dialed in. That's good for me.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 04:42:04 PM by Farmer Jon »
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15854 on: October 30, 2021, 05:46:45 PM »
Got the 2007 back together.
Need antifreeze, top up trans and put in batteries.
A good couple easy days.
And glad it’s back together.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15855 on: October 30, 2021, 06:06:01 PM »
Spent 4 hours getting massive amounts of leaves out of the pool and blowing all the leaves around the house into snake piles and lighting them off. That big blow we had Wednesday and Thursday wrecked all the work I did 2 weeks ago.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15856 on: October 30, 2021, 07:00:34 PM »
Working on the same TRN. Son was supposed to do it weeks ago, now getting bad again. I will cover it this year, cleanup from last year was over the top.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15857 on: November 03, 2021, 06:31:17 PM »
Picked up a plastic hammer

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15858 on: November 03, 2021, 07:33:38 PM »
Picked up a plastic hammer

I don't think you're going to be running out of those very soon.

.. just stay away from open flames and you should be ok. ;)
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
WDYDT (What Did You Do Today)
« Reply #15859 on: November 03, 2021, 07:57:16 PM »
My wife gave me a bit of grief.  She asked why I needed “another one”.

I told her I have more than I need but fewer than I want. And to think of it as an investment.  We’ll never lose money on weapons or ammo or magazines or reloading supplies….

I think I’m on the lookout for a g29 subcompact 10mm and another g36

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 07:59:55 PM by TexasRedNeck »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15860 on: November 03, 2021, 10:21:06 PM »
Heck, I only have 5 hammers and can't keep track of them, but darn sure want more.

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15861 on: November 03, 2021, 10:25:09 PM »
So, I know this could probably be its own thread, but if I were to buy my first plastic hammer, do you have any recommendations?

Offline oklawall

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15862 on: November 04, 2021, 05:47:44 AM »
So, I know this could probably be its own thread, but if I were to buy my first plastic hammer, do you have any recommendations?

I would suggest holding them to find the one that has a good for you natural point of aim. I like the Springfield over the glock because the Springfield gives me that natural point of aim (I don't have to adjust once the hammer is up and ready ). Yes you can train to compensate for that aim but I have several different hammers I carry and just don't want to have to worry about muscle memory if there is an emergency and have to use it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15863 on: November 04, 2021, 07:33:06 AM »

I would suggest holding them to find the one that has a good for you natural point of aim. I like the Springfield over the glock because the Springfield gives me that natural point of aim (I don't have to adjust once the hammer is up and ready ). Yes you can train to compensate for that aim but I have several different hammers I carry and just don't want to have to worry about muscle memory if there is an emergency and have to use it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Good recommendation.  I have some novelty hammers but always carry the same variety I train with. Find your natural point of aim by closing your eyes and bringing the hammer up to the target and open your eyes. Grip angle will be the thing that determines if you are high or low.

What ever you buy. Practice practice practice. Once you get good with sight alignment and trigger control find someplace you can draw from holster and move and shoot. Bad guys are probably not going to stand still and neither should you.

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15864 on: November 04, 2021, 09:48:30 AM »
as charles said practice, practice, practice!!!!  before you put any rounds in the tool, set up a target and do nothing but draw from your holster, acquire target/aim, pull the trigger.  once you have done that many  many times and feel comfortable, move onto no draw with rounds down range, ending with movement techniques as stated above.  you would be surprised at how many people shoot themselves because they do not have any trigger finger control and are unable to properly identify their target and whats beyond it.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 09:49:56 AM by Nate »
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Online Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15865 on: November 04, 2021, 10:23:52 AM »

G19 or G17 Dave.
I carried the G19 in Iraq as my service weapon (Along with an M4)
I carry one every day.
15-17 or more rounds and 400 ft/lbs of hydra-shock will stop most threats or at least get you some space to run.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15866 on: November 04, 2021, 10:58:37 AM »
I have the XDS in 45. Feels great why I got it.

I am a 40 fan, but have a good assortment of hammers. glock, spring, SW, ruger, keltec.

If choosing one, I would say 9mm. Good round, versatile and affordable even now.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15867 on: November 04, 2021, 11:05:29 AM »
I currently carry either my first ever pistol, a stainless Taurus .45, has always shot well for me and was fun to shoot as well, or a Ruger LCP as it was easy to grab and stuff in my belt no matter what I was wearing. Been looking at 9mm (have shot several, just not recently), and wanted to see what everyone’s thoughts were. Thanks for the reminder in natural point of aim, I know this and just hadn’t thought of it as I haven’t been in the market for a new hammer in a While.  I’ll probably stop up to the local shop and try some out. If I get one I’ll update jn it’s own thread.   Thanks!!!

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15868 on: November 04, 2021, 01:05:11 PM »
I like the extra punch of the 40.  It’s a good compromise of rounds in the mag and hitting harder.  However, as one I of my ranger training buddies told me once “y’all can laugh all you want at the euro pellet, but if you put it in the ocular cavity the bad guy won’t know the difference”

My EDC is the G23 with tritium sights and a Ghost Rocket trigger upgrade.  Loaded with 180gn Federal HST it holds 13+1

Sig, S&W, Springfield, Taurus, EAA, and CZ all make good weapons at various price points.   A hammer is only useful if you have it on you at all times.  Does no good if its in your glove box when you are in the store.  Get something you can shoot well, practice with it, and get a good holster.  I like CompTac holsters.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15869 on: November 04, 2021, 01:11:15 PM »
My brother has a couple Glocks and XDSs.. I can't shoot any of them because I've been married to a 1911 for over 30 years. The only plastic one I'm decent with was the Walther .40 I got a while back.

My old local dealer told me either stick with the 1911 frame or a Glock because you can't be proficient with both, which was the case with me.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15870 on: November 04, 2021, 02:01:36 PM »
Point and shoot is the big trick. Most events happen under 7 yards. Point n shoot until threat is over. Slow em down, tap the head. Practiced that many times.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: November 04, 2021, 02:24:19 PM »
I’ve been to several courses, one thing I didn’t like was the ones where they basically started getting you into the pattern of drawing and shooting two rounds at the target then securing your weapon and checking your surroundings. I also went to a course where they would basically tell you when the threat was down, so you wouldn’t get used to shooting a certain number or rounds to stop the threat. I went through almost two mags one time on one target, not because I was missing but because the instructor wanted me to continue to  engage the target. I liked that instructor.  He had some good courses.

Now that I think about it, Big D probably knew him. Don, did you know Joe Kalil?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: November 04, 2021, 06:25:52 PM »
Yeah, no.  Not going to reholster.  Low ready or SUL post engagement whilst checking surroundings.  I like SUL because a cop arriving on the scene will not see the muzzle pointed down range.

With bad guys wearing armor nowadays, stitching them up from the waist and then in the eye socket will make sure they stay down.  But always fire until the threat is over, period.

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15873 on: November 04, 2021, 06:33:39 PM »
I like the extra punch of the 40.  It’s a good compromise of rounds in the mag and hitting harder.  However, as one I of my ranger training buddies told me once “y’all can laugh all you want at the euro pellet, but if you put it in the ocular cavity the bad guy won’t know the difference”

My EDC is the G23 with tritium sights and a Ghost Rocket trigger upgrade.  Loaded with 180gn Federal HST it holds 13+1

Sig, S&W, Springfield, Taurus, EAA, and CZ all make good weapons at various price points.   A hammer is only useful if you have it on you at all times.  Does no good if its in your glove box when you are in the store.  Get something you can shoot well, practice with it, and get a good holster.  I like CompTac holsters.

The redneck has a good point. The G23, I have one which you could shoot if ya wanted packs a bunch more punch than a 9

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15874 on: November 04, 2021, 07:49:03 PM »
What's SUL Charles?

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15875 on: November 04, 2021, 07:54:41 PM »
Bringing the pistol back to your body after dispatching the target and keeping the muzzle pointed down along your body. You have the advantage of your weapon being ready, but being slightly less conspicuous than a low ready or swing into it around Wild West style.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: November 04, 2021, 08:01:45 PM »
Support hand palm against torso, gun hand with slide parallel to body gun pointed down
« Last Edit: November 04, 2021, 08:02:30 PM by stlaser »

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: November 04, 2021, 09:25:19 PM »
That's a lot of words for 3 letters!
Thanks

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15878 on: November 04, 2021, 09:41:44 PM »
These are the bags I ordered for my 3500HD.

Air Lift 88338 LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Air Suspension Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B32DD5S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JCBXPCNC65QY03P8119V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Do you think I should have ordered the larger 7500 lb rated bags?

Air Lift 57538 LoadLifter 7500XL Air Springs for 2011-2019 GM 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, Nylon Air Line, Up to 7,500 lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGYEO0C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_44DN36C3DQR6JGDFYZY4?psc=1

I had all kinds of issues trying to get the 7500lb bags. I had them missship them twice so I changed gears to the smaller in hopes something would ship correct

What are the thoughts ?

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15879 on: November 04, 2021, 09:54:10 PM »
I got the Air Lift kit too. Lifetime warranty sold me.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: November 04, 2021, 10:15:08 PM »
That's a lot of words for 3 letters!
Thanks
Could have just said “it’s Portuguese for south”, but it would have lost some of the nuance
:)

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15881 on: November 04, 2021, 10:19:48 PM »

Thumbs together. Rotate forward and right back into presentation or low ready

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15882 on: November 04, 2021, 10:49:50 PM »

Air Lift 88338 LoadLifter 5000 Ultimate Air Suspension Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B32DD5S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_JCBXPCNC65QY03P8119V?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Air Lift 57538 LoadLifter 7500XL Air Springs for 2011-2019 GM 3/4 and 1 ton pickups, Nylon Air Line, Up to 7,500 lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NGYEO0C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_44DN36C3DQR6JGDFYZY4?psc=1

I had all kinds of issues trying to get the 7500lb bags. I had them missship them twice so I changed gears to the smaller in hopes something would ship correct

What are the thoughts ?

I have that setup on my truck. Been there over 100K. I have popped two bags, but only because they were rubbing on the flipped U-bolt plate before I cut a "C" out of it. They can handle the load
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 11:07:39 AM by Flyin6 »

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: November 04, 2021, 11:15:59 PM »

What are the thoughts ?

I have that setup on my truck. Been there4 over 100K. I have popped two bags, but only because they were rubbing on the flipped U-bolt plate before I cut a "C" out of it. They can handle the load
You are running the 5k kit then?

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15884 on: November 05, 2021, 07:37:33 AM »
Dave I had the Firestone 5000 pound bags on my dually and they were more than enough.  I hope you wouldn’t be putting more than 8000 total in the bed

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15885 on: November 05, 2021, 08:30:27 AM »
He might be planning on carrying me to town to gather up some cheese burgers.

Sent from my Ken using payback
« Last Edit: November 05, 2021, 09:44:48 AM by KensAuto »

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15886 on: November 05, 2021, 10:09:44 AM »
Wow Ken!  That got a big old hearty belly laugh out of me. You’re a funny man.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15887 on: November 05, 2021, 12:29:50 PM »

More than likely Ken and his GF are coming for a visit……  :popcorn:

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15888 on: November 05, 2021, 01:08:49 PM »

First thought I had too!

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15889 on: November 06, 2021, 12:26:09 AM »

Now now now. We all know Utah is no place for a Blue hat like H.  She isn’t welcome here

Ken honks as he comes by I am told.

I got a full refund from Amazon for the bags I have on my table, looks like I’m keeping the 5k and going to install them with daystar airbag pucks

Offline dave945

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15890 on: November 06, 2021, 06:28:59 PM »
Not a usual sight jn northern Kentucky, they were on approach to CVG airport, flight of two.

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15891 on: November 06, 2021, 08:16:23 PM »
Spent the day wrenching again…

I’m getting tired of wrenching on this truck…

But.
5100’s are on now.
Had to cut the bolts off one and needed another set of hands for another.
Time for new shock bolts I guess.

Then was time to tackle my fuel line leak.
Wiring loom wire through, just.
Put some Devcon putty of some sort on it.
I’m not interested in replacing the line.

Then I noticed a new coolant leak…
Oil cooler pipe. Arrgh. 
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Online Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15892 on: November 06, 2021, 09:04:26 PM »
Not a usual sight jn northern Kentucky, they were on approach to CVG airport, flight of two.

Look at the wings...

The inside pods on each wing are either fuel tanks or that pave-track NVG targeting system thing. But look at the outboard pylons. That looks like a snack-eye with a GPS bomb kit installed.

They wouldn't be flying around with ordnance on the wings, so what is that then?

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15893 on: November 06, 2021, 10:17:10 PM »
Pulling the night shift trying to put this truck back together. With the help of my tractor, and colorful language, she's sitting on flat ground now, as opposed to the hill I parked it on 6 years ago.

Got the tank in, 2 of the new fuel lines, and 2 new batteries. Hopefully it will run tomorrow.

When I hauled the tank home from work I stopped at the station and added $100 worth of diesel, which got me 26 gallons...tank holds 80.

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15894 on: November 06, 2021, 10:51:17 PM »
Pulling the night shift trying to put this truck back together. With the help of my tractor, and colorful language, she's sitting on flat ground now, as opposed to the hill I parked it on 6 years ago.

Got the tank in, 2 of the new fuel lines, and 2 new batteries. Hopefully it will run tomorrow.

When I hauled the tank home from work I stopped at the station and added $100 worth of diesel, which got me 26 gallons...tank holds 80.

Whatcha gunna do with that ol truck?

Offline Farmer Jon

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15895 on: November 07, 2021, 07:56:53 AM »
Had a one night quick campout Friday night. Got home later yesterday evening. It got down in the 40s maybe 38 degrees. A lot of the boys were pretty cold. I knew it would be chilly so I wanted to go as a practice for when it gets really cold. I found I was unprepared as well. Zane and I each have new 20-30 degree sleeping bags. Neither one did the trick at that temp. But neither of us wore sleep pants. Just gym shorts and t shirts. I forgot my sweat pants. We have -35 bags for when its REALLY cold but I wanted to get some decent intermediate bags for fall and spring camping.

The main problem I have is a boy who keeps wetting the bed. I joined the troop last fall about this time. I just thought he was cold and didn't want to get up and go. But that is not the case as he wet the bed twice the week of summer camp. Using troop tenets and cots. He's ruining our equipment.

I am planning a campout the first part of February a couple hours away. I cant have him wetting the bed there. At winter temps where we are going that becomes a safety issue. My first really hard decision of being the new scoutmaster. I have to talk to his parents. I don't think I can allow him to go on any winter campouts until he gets that under control. He is slightly autistic not enough to take meds but his parents baby the crap out of him because of it. He knows it and takes advantage of it. We don't do that at scouts. He is treated the same with the same chores as everyone else.
Father, husband, farmer, trucker, mechanic, equipment operator, ect

Offline Bigdave_185

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #15896 on: November 07, 2021, 09:56:03 AM »
We had a boy with similar issues, name was Randy,    His parents sent him with extra sleeping bags, that was about all I could come up with out causing a firestorm for mistreating a kid.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15897 on: November 07, 2021, 09:59:47 AM »
Shawn, the answer is no.
....unless you're being sincere and in that case, I plan on using it to carpool.

Good luck with that Jon.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15898 on: November 07, 2021, 11:19:15 AM »
I have to question the mechanicing abilities of one who chooses an axe as a tool of choice when working on a motorized vehicle

Offline stlaser

• Global Moderator
  • Official PIA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15899 on: November 07, 2021, 12:04:27 PM »
Shawn, the answer is no.
....unless you're being sincere and in that case, I plan on using it to carpool.

Good luck with that Jon.

Yeah, I don’t want it…. Good luck in the carpool lane! Lol

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal