Hello Guest

Author Topic: Getting pieces for a new rifle  (Read 4750 times)

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
Getting pieces for a new rifle
« on: February 01, 2018, 07:43:15 AM »
Hey all, I've always liked rifle builds, so thought I'd start mine here. I'm currently just getting parts to put together a nice little "tactical" .308. I know the 6 and 6.5 are sexier, but I've already got a bunch of .308 brass, and reloading supplies, and have shot and reloaded it a bunch, so it just made sense.

I'm going to try one of the Grayboe stocks that Ryan McMillan makes. Its an A5 clone (Renegade I think?) with Badger DBM.

Also found a sweet deal on a Krieger heavey varmint .308 barrel. It's a 30" barrel that was on a F/TR rifle (has just under 2k round through it). I'm going to get the chamber set back, and trim it down to like 24 or 25" (should be pretty close to AMU contour).

Haven't picked an action yet, but the stock is for a Rem 700 short action, or similar.

It's been a while since I browsed triggers, but I see Timney has some 2-stage triggers now. I've always like 2-stage triggers on a bolt gun, may have to check them out.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
Re: Getting pieces for a new rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 08:14:25 AM »
  :likebutton:
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:37:52 AM »
I had a Renegade.  It is a nice stock, but I would recommend you look for something that is adjustable.  I sold the Renegade and picked up a KRG Bravo chassis.  It is a chassis because it has a full length aluminum block but it still looks very much like a stock.  Being a chassis system it is also setup to run AICS mags which is nice and saves you $100+ on detachable bottom metal.

For an action were you thinking a 700 action or a custom action?  I just had a gun built with a Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action.  But recently there have been a couple custom action manufacturers that have come out with trimmed down custom actions that you can get for around $800.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 08:41:52 AM »
I had a Renegade.  It is a nice stock, but I would recommend you look for something that is adjustable.

I've actually got a KMW adjustable cheek piece hardware that I will put into this stock. And if LOP isn't good enough, will switch the butt pad to be able to use spacers. I got the DBM with the stock for a decent price, so figured it'd be worth a try.

Can't decide if I should go custom action or not. They are super nice. I have pretty ready access to Stiller, Pierce and Defiant. The defiant actions are beaut's, but a little costly for me. Stiller and Pierce are nice, and the price tag is a little friendlier. Any thoughts?

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »
I don't have any personal experience with anything other then my Lone Peak Arms Fuzion action and factory Remington.  I talked with 3 well known gun builders before having mine built.  Originally I was looking at the Defiant Tactical.  They all said that was an ok action but recommended the Lone Peak.  Prices are nearly identical to the Defiant Tactical. 

Another option may be the Gunwerks GRB action.  Its missing a few things when compared to other custom actions but still seems pretty nice for the price.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 06:29:08 PM »
Stock arrived today. Really impressed with the feel of it. Bottom metal fits very nicely. 3 sling studs, and pillars already installed. Once I get the KMW cheek piece hardware in the, it will be a very usable stock for sure.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 06:43:19 PM »
Funny, I was just thinking about getting building a 308. Doubt I need it as custom as you guys are going just want a solid BA shooter that uses mags.

Maybe just a good ol rem 700 SA is all I need but will follow this!
Retired LEO  Lifetime NRA+  Outcast in Calif

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 07:05:54 PM »
Stock arrived today. Really impressed with the feel of it. Bottom metal fits very nicely. 3 sling studs, and pillars already installed. Once I get the KMW cheek piece hardware in the, it will be a very usable stock for sure.

What's that for?
Been wanting to restock/modernize my 1982 Remy 700, .300 Win mag
Want a detachable box mag, Harris, rail, flash hider, Led Zeppelin decal...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »

What's that for?

that's what you were doing when you got side tracked and started talking about lettin newbies try flying and pole walking....lol  those were pretty funny.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 07:15:51 PM »
The rifle will be my "fun" rifle. Going to do a little practical shooting, maybe some PRS style stuff etc. I had also thought of going .223 since the range I have easiest (and closest) access to is only out to 600 M. And much like the .308, I do have reloading supplies etc for .223 as well. The 308 does leave more obvious holes in paper though when you have teenagers working in the butts. :)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 07:37:38 PM »

Curious what bottom metal you have.  Most bottom metals work with most triggers but there are a couple combinations where you would need to shorten the trigger to fit.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 07:46:29 PM »
I’m a big fan of flush cups. I like one on each side at the front.  Allows a good tension with the sling when wrapped around your forearm and wrist. While still allowing your hand to rest right under the stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 07:48:29 PM »
Funny, I was just thinking about getting building a 308. Doubt I need it as custom as you guys are going just want a solid BA shooter that uses mags.

Maybe just a good ol rem 700 SA is all I need but will follow this!

If you are wanting to go with a factory gun I would look at a Howa or Tikka.  The new Remington's can be hot or miss.  My 700 SPS would not shoot less then 1moa.  Most days it was a 1-1/2 moa gun no matter the ammo.  I thought it might be me until I shot my brother's Howa and was shooting sub 1/2 moa groups with cheap ammo.

Howa released a new package deal.  They are putting their barrelled action in the KRG chassis that I just bought for my custom gun.  It is a chassis but looks very stock like and offers a detachable mag.

If you want a chassis you could go with the Howa HCR.  Or you could purchase the barreled action from Brownells or online and find the stock of your choosing.   The barreled actions generally come set up with a hinged floor plate.  Any of those options should get you a nice shooting, accurate gun for under a grand.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:05:04 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 08:54:40 PM »
Think sportsman warehouse had both of those. I will look both over some but sub MOA is a must.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants"

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 10:29:04 PM »
https://www.brownells.com/firearms/rifles/bolt-action/krg-bravo-308-win-24-black-10-1-threaded-prod115734.aspx?avs%7cMake~~Model_1=Howa__1500%2bBravo

I think you could piece this exact gun together for $300 less of you got the barrelled action on sale and picked up the chassis separate.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 08:53:18 AM »
Stock arrived today.

Glorious. Now I want to build a rifle...

What's that for?

Another rifle build thread!! Yay :likebutton:
So, Bobby...being the calculating trained warrior NCO that you are.  Take the appropriate action, Execute!
your standard grunt level CQB is just putting rounds and rounds on scary stuff till it stops scaring you!

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 10:35:18 AM »
Glorious. Now I want to build a rifle...

Dooo it!!

Was actually looking at some local dealer who are selling Rem 700 barrelled actions. One is a 6.5 creedmoor, with scope rail, trigger (but would swap out xmp trigger anyway) and threaded muzzle with protective cap for $659 (CAD). Not a bad deal if it shoots ok I guess.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 09:57:42 AM »
Dooo it!!

Was actually looking at some local dealer who are selling Rem 700 barrelled actions. One is a 6.5 creedmoor, with scope rail, trigger (but would swap out xmp trigger anyway) and threaded muzzle with protective cap for $659 (CAD). Not a bad deal if it shoots ok I guess.

Well I'll have to look for parts and decide on a direction I want to go with it. As for the Remington 700 actions, I personally don't think there's a problem with starting with them. Someone had a precision rifle for sale at a local gun shop that I wandered into. Stock 700 action chambered in 260 and they wanted $2,xxx.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »
I think a factory 700 action is fine, but your taking a gamble on a factory Remington barrel.  You might get a good one, you might get something that can't hold 2 moa.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2018, 12:09:11 PM »
I think a factory 700 action is fine, but your taking a gamble on a factory Remington barrel.  You might get a good one, you might get something that can't hold 2 moa.

True. Order the stock from Brownells, and if you wish have it blueprinted and trued, and a custom barrel. The blueprinting and trued isn't probably necessary but if you feel like you need it.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2018, 01:00:56 PM »
Yeah, I'm thinking I may just get a Rem 700 action with no barrel on it, since I have that lightly used Krieger on the way. Hard to justify the price of a custom action around, at least around here.  Plus then I'll have more money for a decent scope and a bipod.

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 08:32:14 AM »
Yeah, I'm thinking I may just get a Rem 700 action with no barrel on it, since I have that lightly used Krieger on the way. Hard to justify the price of a custom action around, at least around here. Plus then I'll have more money for a decent scope and a bipod.

That's where a lot of people skimp out on things.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:33:04 AM by BobbyB »

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »
Yeah, I'm thinking I may just get a Rem 700 action with no barrel on it, since I have that lightly used Krieger on the way. Hard to justify the price of a custom action around, at least around here. Plus then I'll have more money for a decent scope and a bipod.

That's where a lot of people skimp out on things.

Yeah the way I've always looked at it, is there's not sense in a sweet rifle, if you can't see and consistently aim at what you're trying to shoot!

I won't be going all-out on the scope, (ie. no S&B, or Khales etc). But would likely end up with a Bushnell DMR or a Sightron or potentially a used NF. The GEN II Vortex PST looks interesting, but no experience with the Vortex scopes at all.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2018, 11:34:11 AM »
I like my Burris XTR.  My brother has a Gen I Vortex Viper.  That scope is nice also.  I would take my Burris over his Vortex.  I have also heard the Gen IIs are nicer then the Gen I though.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2018, 11:56:45 AM »
I like my Burris XTR.  My brother has a Gen I Vortex Viper.  That scope is nice also.  I would take my Burris over his Vortex.  I have also heard the Gen IIs are nicer then the Gen I though.
Which XTR do you have? I was looking online at some XTR II 5-25 scopes and they seem to get good reviews, and are pretty beefy. Also though about the NF SHV, I had one before and they are good scopes for the money.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2018, 01:30:31 PM »
Which XTR do you have? I was looking online at some XTR II 5-25 scopes and they seem to get good reviews, and are pretty beefy. Also though about the NF SHV, I had one before and they are good scopes for the money.

I have a 5-25 with the mil-mil with the  G2B reticle.  If you shop around and wait for a sale price you should be able to find it for around $930. 

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 04:49:44 PM »
So without going to extremes, who makes about the best barrel when you get a whole rifle? Howa, Tikka, savage, Rem, ruger, etc,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I know you get what you pay for, but does it have to be a kit gun? There is so much to read but when you paid by them, answers are not always what you seek.

Something nice for under 1k and add your optics.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2018, 05:21:26 PM »
Howa or Tikka are going to be your best bet for an accurate factory action/ barrel.  Howa is going to be cheaper than Tikka.  You can find a Howa gun for around $500.  Tikkas are going to run more.  The problem with those $500 Tikkas are going to be the stocks.  Nearly all of those are going to be plastic stocks that bend when you put any loading on them.  Probably not what you want.  The cheapest factory options I am aware of in Howa that is going to come with a useable stock/ chassis are the Howa HCR and the Howa w/ Bravo stock package.  Both of those I suspect you should be able to find for right around $1000.  Both of those guns will come with a stiff forend that you can load up and adjustable cheek piece and LOP to dial it in for yourself.  They will also have detachable AICS mags.  The Bravo combo just came out, so there probably aren't many retailers that have them yet. 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 05:22:12 PM by Bear9350 »

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 05:30:24 PM »
Not sure if I like the stocks on those. Thinking more in line of just a nice synthetic.

Oh, if anyone is interested I have a rem 700 synthetic stock I was going to put on my dads old gun, but going to keep it stock. Have to look but I think it is a SA.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline BobbyB

• "You are not LaBeouf"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 07:49:19 PM »
For scopes I like Vortex and the Burris XTR 2.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 05:23:35 AM by BobbyB »

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 11:58:06 AM »
Burris scopes are on sale at DVOR right now through the end of today.  XTR II 5-25x50 with G2B illuminated reticle for $955 and the 5-25x55 with SCR non-illuminated for $905.  They also have a XTR II 4-20X50 with illuminated SCR mil reticle and 34mm tube for $895.  This might also be a good option.  I rarely crank my scope beyond 20.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
Burris scopes are on sale at DVOR right now through the end of today.  XTR II 5-25x50 with G2B illuminated reticle for $955 and the 5-25x55 with SCR non-illuminated for $905.  They also have a XTR II 4-20X50 with illuminated SCR mil reticle and 34mm tube for $895.  This might also be a good option.  I rarely crank my scope beyond 20.

Likely no shipped to Canada without a bunch of hassle :(

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2018, 07:38:17 PM »
Well decided to go with a new Remington 700 action (just a new bare action, no barrel).

Also got my barrel today. Pretty spiffy, but darn long! might cut it down a little. She's got some heft to 'er!

All told, I will have my stock, bottom metal, action, krieger barrel, and gunsmithing  all for less than the cost of a Stiller Tac 30 with no trigger. So i'm feeling pretty good about that.

After the barrel goes on, I'll just need a bipod and scope and I'll be all set!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:38:53 PM by rcampbell »

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2018, 09:13:54 PM »
Starting KMW Loggerhead installation today.

First step, make a template for cheekpiece:

Next, put a tracing line on the stock (wool socks optional):

And then, cut the thing out!

Next, I will mark out the spots to inlet for the hardware. And fill in some gaps etc to give it a nice smooth look.

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2018, 03:52:24 PM »
Gutsy Mav.....

Since movie quote seem to be in vogue today.

Cutting a stock takes guts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2018, 06:13:22 PM »
What tool did you use to make such sharp corners?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »
What tool did you use to make such sharp corners?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

For the two shorts cuts, I did it on my wood band-saw. But since I only had a 3/8" blade on that, I had to come up with something else for my long cut.

For that long cut between the two short cuts, I clamped  pieces of aluminium flat bar on each side of the stock to use as a guide. And then I got my coping saw and did it slowly by hand.  Took about 10 minutes of hand sawing time, but came out quite straight and flat. And since the blade on the coping saw is to narrow, I was able to get a decent corner.

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2018, 07:45:55 PM »
Did a nice job on it. Did you want it to be adjustable or would a nice cheek piece done the job?

Thomas Jefferson

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2018, 07:55:11 PM »
Did a nice job on it. Did you want it to be adjustable or would a nice cheek piece done the job?

I got a good deal on this stock and the DBM, and already had the Loggerhead hardware at home, so I figured I'd give it a try.

Though about perhaps getting a saddle-type cheek piece, but I'm not a huge fan of those because they sort of push your eye away from the scope laterally.

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2018, 07:49:44 AM »
Looks good so far.  I am interested to see how it turns out with all the hardware installed.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2018, 07:32:40 PM »
Well I'm slowly making time to get this stock done. I've got the hardware mounted in the cheek piece now.

I was recently working on the butt stock.I don't have a pic, but when I cut out the cheek piece, I noticed there's actually a bit of a void down the center of the butt stock. It appears to be where the injection tube goes to inject the composite material into the mold. So before I could get too far I'd have to fill it. So the other day I mixed up some resin and hardener and put in some milled glass fibers to give it some strength, and filled it in It took about 3/4 of a cup to fill it!). Now the butt stock is truly solid with no voids.

So I had to trim it square and flat so that I have a solid surface to mill into to mount the hardware, and so that it meets up nicely with the cheek piece. I want to have the cheek piece sit flush with the comb when it's down all the way. You can see in the pic, there's a few little low spots and tool marks, but the picture makes them look worse than they are. I will just use some glazing putty on those before I paint it so that it looks proper. The slightly different color resin is the stuff I poured in to make it free of voids.

I may open up the barrel channel a little too, because my barrel is pretty hefty. I will also bed the action at some point as well.

Once all that is done, I'll have to decide which color(s) to paint it, and what pattern (if any)

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2018, 08:13:59 PM »
What barrel contour?  When I had my grayboe stock I did a layover with several contours to see how it would fit.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2018, 08:29:03 PM »
What barrel contour?  When I had my grayboe stock I did a layover with several contours to see how it would fit.

It's a Krieger heavy varmint contour. If I remember correctly I think the stock comes with a barrel channel to handle something like a remington varmint contour.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »
Finally got around to getting my cheek piece hardware installed. Milling machine is still out of commission, so had to do it all with a drill press and some calipers, still turned out fine though.

Clamp assembly fits:

And now have the cross bolt that tightens the clamp in as well.

Will just touch up a few dings with some glazing putty, and then bed my action, and paint the stock, and she should be ready for some fun!

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »
That is going to finish up very nicely.  I would maybe check out and see if you need to make any adjustments for LOP before painting to.

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2018, 09:33:18 PM »
Well, I got my barrelled action back last week, so I figured I better spend some time on this rifle this weekend.

I got the cheek piece clamp installed and painted:

Also bedded the action this morning, I had *just* enough devcon left to do it:

And finally put it all together! I went with the Timney Calvin Elite 2-stage trigger. It's very nice, I can't wait to put a few rounds threw it. My F/TR rifle has the 2-stage Barnard trigger, so I figured a two stage on this one as well would be nice! Barrel is a Krieger Heavy Varmint, 1:11" twist, 24" in length. I have NF steel 20moa rail to go on it as well. Not sure what scope will go on this since the scope I have now will be for my F/TR rifle, but I will find something I'm sure.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 09:59:18 PM by rcampbell »

Offline rcampbell

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2018, 09:39:01 PM »
PS. For some reason the pictures are appearing upside down at the moment. They are right side up on Flickr, so not sure what's going on there, perhaps it will rectify itself :)

Offline JR

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2018, 09:45:31 PM »
If you DL right from the phone it happens sometimes. DL to the PC first and you should be good.

I have 2 in the works now. One for a bud and an AR10 for me. Also picking up a savage 64 F. Just $120, couldn't say no for a toy.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bear9350

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2018, 09:55:29 PM »
It came out looking awesome.   I'm interested to see how it shoots.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal