Hello Guest

Author Topic: buying a truck for the wife  (Read 946 times)

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
buying a truck for the wife
« on: February 20, 2015, 11:36:53 AM »
alrighty folks, here goes.

the wife and I were talking the other day about her little "kia".  yeah yeah I know, and heard it from don again yesterday.  but all I have to say is that it is paid off and it has been reliable.  anyways, she stated that she likes the route that some of you are going with your older trucks and stated that she wants to get rid of her kia and get an older chevy 4x4 long bed single cab.  well looking on craigslist the last few days I came across a few trucks. 

this first one here was a 84 ram charger with the 318ci and an automatic transmission.  we I called the young kid and he said that he would go no lower than $3200 and that it was all original and in great shape.  well when we went to go look at it yesterday afternoon, we almost fell over laughing at the description that the guy gave us and the actual condition that it was sitting in.  as we looked at it, the 2 front seats were just about to break apart, the steering colum was in complete shambles and it had to be started with a screw driver.  the interior was very beaten up, and there was a nasty oil leak on the valve covers, the AC was literally ripped out of it and there was a streaming leak coming out of the transmission.  i told the guy thank you for showing it to us and we left the lot.  now had he accepted my offer of $500 then i probably would have bought it.

http://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/4887867776.html

well after we left the ram charger, we saw a 93 full size blazer sport or $5500.  we called the guy and went to look at it.  well not a bad looking and or running truck.  it had roughly 8" of lift between suspension and body, 35" tires, 350ci that sounded darn good for having close to 200K on the clock.  all in all this truck was pretty clean and showed some signs of neglect but nothing was too major other than the mileage on the original motor (never rebuilt) and the fact that it was newer than what we were really looking for.  i offered the guy $4k and he said no, and we parted ways after that.

http://elpaso.craigslist.org/cto/4874052960.html

well later last night i came across this 78 chevy 4x4 3/4 ton long bed single cab for $3500.  i called the guy and talked to him a little about the truck.  he is the second owner, the body is clean and straight, a little ripple in the side of the hood, 350ci, tb350 transmission and a NP205 x-case.  he did know anything about the axles, said he just did regular oil changes, the bench seat was re-upholstered by the original owner shortly before he bought it.  he said there were no leaks and that the dash was needing to be replaced (understandable considering the age).  he said he would $3k for it and i told him that i would be there either sat or sun to look at it.  now the trick is finding a 20-22' flatbed to take with me.  wife asked me why i wanted to trailer it back, and i stated to her that i will not have her driving a 36 year old truck 4 hrs down the interstate before i have had the chance to go thru it and check the mechanics out to ensure that she will be safe driving it.

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/4894727373.html

so i will keep you all posted on what happens this weekend.
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: buying a truck for the wife
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »
its times like these that I wish I didn't sell my 28' enclosed car hauler to Ashley  :'(
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Dawg25385

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 11:58:18 AM »
The Chev square body looks pretty straight and clean
2006 Chevrolet 2500 HD 6.6 - MotorOps EFI, 4" MBRP, S&B intake, AirBags and B&W Turnover Ball
Prov 27:17, 2 Tim 1:7
NRA Life Member

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 12:32:56 PM »
Good choice on the Chevy! that 3/4 ton will last you (and your wife) the rest of your lives, as long as you keep it out of the mud. GM 14 bolt in the rear, Dana 44 up front is the norm.

Thought about a U-Haul dolly? throw that 205 in neutral and haul butt....ain't gonna hurt that 14 bolt, if it's full of oil. lol
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:44:49 PM »
I have ken, but I don't really want to disconnect the drive shaft at the moment.  I have learned that you never tow something on one of those that is rear wheel drive without disconnecting the drive shaft first.  I have seen too many intelligent folks trying to tow military vehicles without disconnecting drive shafts, prop-shafts, final drives, not caging breaks, not hooking air up from the tow vehicle for the vehicle being towed, etc.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 12:49:30 PM »
Nate, on that last one the long bed Chevy, those tires haven't been around in any quantity for a long time. It is possible they are of later vintage, however much more likely they are old as the hills and need replacing. 7 years is about the safe limit for tires...
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
RGR that on the tires.  mamma will be forbidden from operation from whatever vehicle until a proper PMCS and QA/QC has been conducted.

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 01:23:33 PM »
RGR that on the tires.  mamma will be forbidden from operation from whatever vehicle until a proper PMCS and QA/QC has been conducted.
Copy!
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal