Hello Guest

Author Topic: Night Stalkers at Oskosh  (Read 1861 times)

Offline Flyin6

• Head cook and bottle washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Night Stalkers at Oskosh
« on: July 28, 2017, 03:09:55 PM »
NIGHT STALKERS VISIT OSHKOSH
FOR FIRST TIME, 160TH SOAR SHOWS A HELICOPTER
July 26, 2017 By Mike Collins
Tucked away in the southeast corner of Boeing Plaza at EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, this week is a large Boeing Chinook helicopter. But it’s clearly not a standard CH-47. This one’s painted flat black, instead of the U.S. Army’s normal green. Bulbous fairings housing fuel tanks and special equipment line both sides of the fuselage, and a massive aerial refueling probe juts forward of its nose. And aren’t those M134 7.62-mm electrically operated, air-cooled miniguns protruding from each side of the forward cabin?

Visitors to EAA AirVenture 2017 line up to walk through a MH-47G heavy assault helicopter operated by the U.S. Army's 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment--the storied "Night Stalkers." Photo by Mike Collins.
Visitors to EAA AirVenture 2017 line up to walk through a MH-47G heavy assault helicopter operated by the U.S. Army's 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment--the storied "Night Stalkers." Photo by Mike Collins.
Although the Army's MH-47G heavy assault helicopter is in high demand to support special operations troops around the world, one of them landed in Oshkosh for EAA Airventure. These special-purpose aircraft are operated by the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment (SOAR), better known as the “Night Stalkers.”

The 160th SOAR has never been to AirVenture before. In fact, public appearances like this are very unusual for the unit. One of the helicopter’s crewmen said the only other public event that he recalled the regiment participating in was in West Point, New York—home of the United States Military Academy.
“We had an opportunity to be a part of this. It’s really an awareness campaign,” said Chief Warrant Officer 4 Ryan Walters, a senior flight instructor in the MH-47. “It’s a very high-demand asset. This is an opportunity for the public to see it, and interact with the crew. We’re also here to assist U.S. Army Aviation recruiting.” Walters, who joined the Army in 1998, graduated from flight school in 2002. After flying medevac missions in Blackhawks for a year in Iraq, he had the opportunity to join the 160th SOAR. Walters has logged 1,800 combat flight hours.

The Night Stalkers have been very well received at AirVenture, Walters commented. “I think people are really enjoying seeing this—it’s not a normal Chinook,” he said. “We’ve had nothing but good feedback and long lines.”

The massive MH-47G has a maximum gross weight of 54,000 pounds, cruises at about 120 mph, and has an endurance of about five hours; because it doesn’t have a tail rotor, it can operate at higher altitudes than any other helicopter in the Army’s inventory. It can carry a crew of six, and up to 33 troops. The heavy assault helicopter has a fully digital glass cockpit that is compatible with night-vision goggles; a rescue hoist; and a cargo ramp that allows rapid loading and unloading. The cabin has four gunners’ positions. The model has been deployed continually since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, and this airframe—like all the others in the fleet—has seen combat.

Flying the big, black bird can be stressful, Walters acknowledged. “I’m comfortable being solid IFR for six hours and dodging thunderstorms. To me, that’s a low-stress environment,” he said. “When you fire up the APU, that’s when the adrenaline kicks in.” The MH-47 is very agile for such a large helicopter, he added.

Walters said he plans to retire from the Army next year, and that his next career will not involve flying helicopters. “I would never be able to match in a civil helicopter what I’ve done with this helicopter,” he said. That doesn’t mean he’s done with flying, however: Walters said he would like to buy a single-engine piston airplane so he can fly his daughter to get lunch.
Site owner    Isaiah 6:8, Psalm 91 
NSDQ      Author of the books: Distant Thunder and Thoren

Offline Nate

• Administrator
  • I like to torment Ken!
    • View Profile
Re: Night Stalkers at Oskosh
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »
 :likebutton:
If you need the promise of eternity in the kingdom of heaven to be a good person … You were never a good person in the first place!

Offline Sammconn

• Just A Guy in the Sticks
  • Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 04:19:40 PM »
Nice! Surprising they have one of these grounded like this, especially on public display, but very awesome none the less.
I just don't want to wind up missing a digit or limb.  I can sometimes get in a hurry to get results.
Sam

Offline TexasRedNeck

• punching bag for moderator humor
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 05:40:23 PM »
booyah!  love it
Kids today don't know how easy they have it. When I was young, I had to walk 9 feet through shag carpet to change the TV channel.

Joshua 6:20-24

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 05:44:25 PM »
Nice! Surprising they have one of these grounded like this, especially on public display, but very awesome none the less.

Surprising indeed.

When I was in that unit, we were not allowed to identify ourselves as NightStalkers at all. We could not say what unit we were in, couldn't allow people near the aircraft, wore all sorts of uniforms that were sometimes Army, sometimes not, and generally, we didn't exist.

Things seem to have loosened up a bit...

Offline wyorunner

• Registered
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »

Surprising indeed.

When I was in that unit, we were not allowed to identify ourselves as NightStalkers at all. We could not say what unit we were in, couldn't allow people near the aircraft, wore all sorts of uniforms that were sometimes Army, sometimes not, and generally, we didn't exist.

Things seem to have loosened up a bit...

Loosened up is probably an understatement, the last eight years obliterated the majority of all SOF type units. The talking head that was given the privilege of leading our country didn't seem to care much for our servicemen and women, and it goes without saying 160th type units didn't seem to escape his discontent either. As everyone here is probably aware.

Offline KensAuto

• Global Moderator
  • My abuser is named Nate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 09:24:23 PM »
That's awesome! I would assume that it will help with recruitment. I remember having a tank (patton?) show up in grade school when I was about 8 or 9. I still remember it destroying the parking lot pavement.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 09:25:03 PM by KensAuto »
Underpaid and misunderstood since 2014

Offline cudakidd53

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 11:09:05 PM »
Spoke with a new guy (oldster, not youngster) who (highlight of his summer) went to Oshkosh with his brother who (brother) is a former Army pilot.....(I'll get more on that as those guys are story tellers I've heard).  One of first things they went to was the black double egg beater which they said was significantly stripped of technology, weaponry etc.  I'll check tomorrow to see if they saw a lot of coffee stains in the front with cat hair or any graffiti like "Don was here" etc.
2012 Silverado LTZ - Duramax
Christian since 1975 - Field Trial Brittanys - NRA Lifetime Member

"When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. Hence, dealing with this fact is not difficult. It is only hard for those still living around you.....It's the same when you're stupid."

Offline Flyin6

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 09:14:36 AM »
Spoke with a new guy (oldster, not youngster) who (highlight of his summer) went to Oshkosh with his brother who (brother) is a former Army pilot.....(I'll get more on that as those guys are story tellers I've heard).  One of first things they went to was the black double egg beater which they said was significantly stripped of technology, weaponry etc.  I'll check tomorrow to see if they saw a lot of coffee stains in the front with cat hair or any graffiti like "Don was here" etc.
These birds are way past my day
They have already rebuilt the birds I flew, which they rebuilt after I helped tear them up...
Cat fur is in some Super Huey 2 in Afghanistan somewhere...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal